yiNMastah

Addicted? No. Dissapointed? Yeah pretty much :(

It's early access so what to expect? one might ask...? Game is far from finished (afaik) so it should see a player boost once it hit full potential. 

However, as a long time backer i have to say i'm fairly disappointed about the state of the game in early access (sorry my dear devs and early backer comrades!).. Despite the low player numbers i feel the maps still lack any immersion nor have this "addictive! i need to play daily!" feel to it. Might have to do with (note: no offence nor meant to be cocky!) pretty average skill level of most players i have met from whom i strongly doubt they have played the game's role models in the form of COD2 and COD:MW. Probably most of them being  players which simply tend to be far behind in terms of skills compared to the top teams i played and played against in the named COD's and who i expected to meet in here again...

Anyways, besides that i simply expected to be flabbergasted by this game but maps simply look dull and don't have that great flow as mentioned COD maps did. Too many wide and empty areas and blocked way points which should not be there (example: bus wreck near church). Bad capture zones that are in the wide open (example: invasion map) and to few CQC areas to fight in and really measure skill levels.

Weapons have clear favorites, such being the BAR with no doubt the easy mode gun in the game, outperforming the hailed tommy gun. Simply because there are too many long range area's in pretty much every map where tommy gun is kinda useless.

The game runs smooth, though i have set everything to medium and play on 1280x1024 and capped fps to 90 to do so. Guessing the video / graphic part is far from optimized seeing the specs of my rig can cope with heavier settings with ease? Not that i care much about graphics however; i actually like these settings best since the come close to what COD2 looked like and i dont like useless smug/details that only work distracting when in the mid of a fight :)

Last but not least i think the embedment of the game in Steam was a terrible decision and i would like to have seen this game to be a stand alone game with a user forum on ESL for example. If only to kind of revive the days of when this crappy (sorry) Steam platform did not exist yet and clans and players met and discussed the game on Clanbase.

Anyways, I hold my breath for this game if full version wont see any major changes! So far, and  i have to be fair and square with you guys in here, i'm really missing the addiction factor in Battalion:1944 which triggers me to play each day. And this is being said by one of the biggest early backer fanboys ;)

Wondering what my fellow old backers think (honestly).

Greetings

yinmastah

p.s. sorry for being AFK for so long mates. Just been a very busy man and could not find the time to go online much!

• Upvote 3

31 minutes ago, yiNMastah said:

nor have this "addictive! i need to play daily!" feel to it. 

THIS! I  might not be a backer, but I also miss the 'addictive feeling' I had when I played COD1, COD: UO and COD2 and not to forget MoH: Allied Assault. 

1 hour ago, Grasshopper said:
1 hour ago, yiNMastah said:

nor have this "addictive! i need to play daily!" feel to it. 

THIS! I  might not be a backer, but I also miss the 'addictive feeling' I had when I played COD1, COD: UO and COD2 and not to forget MoH: Allied Assault. 

Not a backer either but have to agree.

It lacks a community feel to it. Possibly down to a lack of good casual maps and a thriving clan server scene.

Modding would help, giving the community tools to make some more open maps. Some 32 player servers (maybe more if it can work fine). Strangely punkbuster was helpful, giving clans the ability to send server messages on a timed basis, limit cvars and capture screenshots (not sure how viable the latter is nowadays with privacy). 

Basically the esport scene came on the back of a great pub scene. It was the "fun" side of many players. Mix it up with casuals on pubs, chat with clan mates on the server, ridicule the sniper who never left spawn. It was like a family.

I wonder if the cod 4 communities are still together. We're they like what we had in cod 1 and perhaps others had on cod2?

I mean we are still in touch with a lot of other players from cod 1 and their teams.

I managed to start a call of duty 1 cup half a year ago with 20 teams actually. The love for cod 1 was still big and if we had xfire again and the graphics we're optimized and perhaps a few extra maps i would play cod 1 every day again.

2 hours ago, sNrklhaai said:

The love for cod 1 was still big and if we had xfire again and the graphics we're optimized and perhaps a few extra maps i would play cod 1 every day again.

I love CoD1.. It's my childhood.. and I pray for the return of X-Fire..

But I need to say that after playing Battalion, I prefer it ABOVE CoD1..

When I compare CoD1 to Battalion then Battalion has a better movement to me and it just feels a lot smoother.. The maps imo are also much improved in the last update, and I want to play this game every day!

I love this game! And when I boot up CoD1 it just doesn't feels right anymore.. Still love it but I think Batt is better.. (just not fully done)

Edited by WeAsOne
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, MagicalBubba said:

It lacks a community feel to it. Possibly down to a lack of good casual maps and a thriving clan server scene.

Modding would help, giving the community tools to make some more open maps. Some 32 player servers (maybe more if it can work fine). Strangely punkbuster was helpful, giving clans the ability to send server messages on a timed basis, limit cvars and capture screenshots (not sure how viable the latter is nowadays with privacy). 

Basically the esport scene came on the back of a great pub scene. It was the "fun" side of many players. Mix it up with casuals on pubs, chat with clan mates on the server, ridicule the sniper who never left spawn. It was like a family.

Most of the people that would form clans, modded servers, and communities have disappeared because of the persistent server crash issues. 

2 hours ago, Firefly said:

Most of the people that would form clans, modded servers, and communities have disappeared because of the persistent server crash issues. 

And most of them could return some day.. I understand why some people don't want to play with bugs.. It can be reallllly frustrating, especially when you try to run your own servers..

When the game is 99.99 % bug-free I see them coming back in :)  That's my vision

• Downvote 2

22 hours ago, yiNMastah said:

It's early access so what to expect? one might ask...? Game is far from finished (afaik) so it should see a player boost once it hit full potential. 

Anyways, I hold my breath for this game if full version wont see any major changes! So far, and  i have to be fair and square with you guys in here, i'm really missing the addiction factor in Battalion:1944 which triggers me to play each day. And this is being said by one of the biggest early backer fanboys ;)

Wondering what my fellow old backers think (honestly).

Greetings

yinmastah

p.s. sorry for being AFK for so long mates. Just been a very busy man and could not find the time to go online much!

Welcome back yiNMastah!

Me, as you are one of the old timers around here and I agree with what you say. I played trough alpha and beta in hope of this would pick up and turn out to something I like. It didn't.. So in EA I only clocked in 2-3 hours and I got tired and wanted to play PUBG instead.

I'm not anything close to a pro, casual only all day long and for me this ended up as a bunny jumping strafe flying mid air kills with lazer accuracy. I used more time spawning and looking for games then actually playing it.

I have pretty much made up my mind about Battalion 1944, it's not going where I hoped and will never go that way, so I have uninstalled it and are leaving this community pretty much. It still kinda bugs me and 9 of my friends that we backed this with a clan pack when we could spend 12-15 punds on it to test and leave, But that's Kickstarter and can't do much about that.

I'm just disappointed that we didn't end up with a game from the early days of KS videos, this is nothing like that.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, Razor said:

Welcome back yiNMastah!

Me, as you are one of the old timers around here and I agree with what you say. I played trough alpha and beta in hope of this would pick up and turn out to something I like. It didn't.. So in EA I only clocked in 2-3 hours and I got tired and wanted to play PUBG instead.

I'm not anything close to a pro, casual only all day long and for me this ended up as a bunny jumping strafe flying mid air kills with lazer accuracy. I used more time spawning and looking for games then actually playing it.

I have pretty much made up my mind about Battalion 1944, it's not going where I hoped and will never go that way, so I have uninstalled it and are leaving this community pretty much. It still kinda bugs me and 9 of my friends that we backed this with a clan pack when we could spend 12-15 punds on it to test and leave, But that's Kickstarter and can't do much about that.

I'm just disappointed that we didn't end up with a game from the early days of KS videos, this is nothing like that.

What maps did you used to like. Try to picture how it felt at spawn as a round started and what happened in the next 10 seconds.  

I somehow suspect the maps you remember had spawns where people had open spaces to run off in many direction on larger wider maps.

The current maps seem to play like MOBAs, everyone in a lane, no room for fun in ranked, unranked or crashing clan servers.

It's probably the push for competitive play but since competitive play is quite subjective, we've ended up with what we have.

Most definitely disappointed, this was not the game they promoted on Kickstarter, its closer to Quake than CoD

On 15-3-2018 at 8:06 PM, Razor said:

Welcome back yiNMastah!

Hey matey!

Sorry to hear you, among many other long time backers, feel kinda disappointed. Guess we were just too hyped hearing of a "COD2 meets COD:MW" remake after having waited for so long for a company to pick up the WW2 competitive scene again. Wasn't part of alpha development but kept an eye on it through the alpha footage and reading here and there. Already at alpha the game wasn't really catchy for me.. Not that i mind fast paced shooters (in fact, i prefer them) but alpha mainly showed Quake style WW2 game play. Which is too much and not what was intended now was it?

It seems it has been slowed down some though, but i just can't get used to these maps. It just doesn't feel right; the game pace doesn't fit any of the map layouts and if it wasn't for some props put here and there it might as well be a map setting in some cold war setting. I don't like the ambient settings; they do not come close to the kinda "damped and creepy" COD2/COD:MW atmosphere.  Where the game was always intended to be a spin off from mostly cod2, it lacks all its basics for map design. 
COD2 map design was basically: CQC / narrow alleys in the middle and long range fighting from either around the edges of the maps or from higher levels/rooftops (examples: Toujane, MAtmata, Burgundy etc). Where are rooftops Bulkies??!!

The weapons, both look and feel, still don't feel right and not close to any of it's games it tended to come close to. The BAR should be heavy, powerful and hard to wield but in fact they feel like a upgraded version of the in game Thompson. The latter which actually has no purpose to pick over the BAR, also when looking at map layout which has too many open places.

The sounds are terrible to say the least but lets assume (or hope??) current gun sounds are not definite???

There is only few servers available to public and a lot of game types (new ones) that barely anyone plays, nor not even suitable to hold a classic game type such as domination (Invasion map is terrible, capture point locations don't make sense).

Well i can go on like this but i think i made my point clear. It did not turn out to be the next "i need to be back at 8pm for my clan war" type of game i was hoping for. Instead i picked up Rising Storm Vietnam and, even when being a complete different type of game that has more "clunkiness" to it, it does have some sort of look&feel that makes me come back and bear all it shortcomings.

Anyone else playing RS?

Edited by yiNMastah
  • Upvote 1