Farq-S

minimap functionality in core game modes?

how should the minimap function in CORE game modes?   46 members have voted

1. 1. how should the minimap function in CORE game modes?

• teammates always appear and enemies when firing un-suppressed weapon.
    • teammates always appear and enemies never appear.
    • minimap always appears on the HUD.
    • minimap can be turned off.
    • minimap disappears when you aim down sights.
    • minimap only appears when scoreboard is called up.
    • minimap is static with no real-time info.
    • no minimap at all.

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

35 posts in this topic

minimap is too heavily relied on by players in most shooters. should we change the way it functions or remove it altogether. let me know if there are any other options i have missed.

Hi.

I think that it's a little bit into the direction of this discussion, based about the "enemy mark".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1000

For team... doesn't matter if all your team (soft) or just you (hard)

No map, Minimap or map that appears by click wouldn't make a big difference for me.

To much variable on this question

:mrgreen:

I have voted

minimap can be turned off.

minimap disappears when you aim down sights. (I love the idea to have a minimap if you aim or if you press a specific key)

Edited by

I would say no minimap or just a static one, soldiers of that period had no minimap with intel just a piece of paper with the battle area :)

CH_SwissWolf":fgnay0zc]Hi.

I think that it's a little bit into the direction of this discussion, based about the "enemy mark".

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1000

For team... doesn't matter if all your team (soft) or just you (hard)

No map, Minimap or map that appears by click wouldn't make a big difference for me.

To much variable on this question

:mrgreen:

I have voted

minimap can be turned off.

minimap disappears when you aim down sights. (I love the idea to have a minimap if you aim or if you press a specific key)

@[NGBC]CH_SwissWolf

thanks for the feedback. this poll was actually inspired by the call out enemies poll you mentioned. to explain, in battlefield 4 the call out mechanic is called spotting so when a player in your team spots an enemy player that enemy players appears on the minimap for the whole team to see. most players are so reliant on the minimap that when a player appears they charge like sheep to that dot on the minimap. too many players use the minimap like a crutch in that respect instead of properly learning the map. so, this poll is intended to throw out the different options on how we can use the minimap in a more tactical way rather than a crutch for the sheep! spotting is just one element of using the minimap i was just trying to widen the debate about the minimap itself and not just one element.

there are so many variables because i wanted to use the poll more like a survey to gauge people's ideas rather than should we have a minimap YES or NO?

I could do pretty damn well with no minimap on the HUD at all. I mean, I play 3D games in order to enjoy 3D renderings, not to keep one eye on a 2D-minimap which looks like some pacman game.

People like to argue that managing both, 3D and the minimap at the same time is a matter of skill, which I agree with in general, but it simply is a distraction for me and reducing the fun. I think you are supposed to 'find' the enemy somewhere at the other end of the barrel, rather than monitoring a weird human-radar thingy. This is even one of this rare cases I would pull the immersion card... Enemies shown on a minimap, this sounds a lot like inbuilt wall-hack to me. ;)

But seriously, I see that minimaps showing teammates can be usefull, like when you are planning to throw grenades into areas you can not see into or just to keep coordinated as a squad and such. However, I prefer the 'modern' way of achieving this team-awareness by letting name tags shine faintly through walls when mates are nearby. Intuitive and simple.

All you really need is a map that can be toggled and will take up the full screen and might be shown during respawn, like on BF and probably any other modern shooter for that matter. This might even show enemy players' positions under certain circumstances, depending on game mode, but that's another story.

Minimap as server option (on/off) is good enought.

On my side i like to get only friend's position on it, without get ennemies spotted.

I agree. I would prefer if it was toned down on BAT44 compared to other shooters. I think it would add a cool experience if there was no minimap. But in saying that I think I dont really mind what happens on this one. Doesnt really bother me too much. :)

I voted for:

1] Teammates always appear and enemies never appear.

2] Minimap can be turned off.

14 minutes ago, WolfEnstein said:

I voted for:

1] Teammates always appear and enemies never appear.

2] Minimap can be turned off.

Me too, mini map is going to be useful to see what your teammates are watching or where they are if you are unable to communicate (which will happen when you play with randoms)

Enemies should not appear on the minimap.

I vote for Minimap (only teammates, NEVER enemies) and can be turned off

I prefer servers with Compass only! (but I understand a lot of you would like to have an option WITH minimap, so lets take the best of both)

Edited by WeAsOne

I honestly think there should be a minimap, but only to see where your teammates are and where they are looking.

In my opinion, enemies should never appear on your minimap if they are seen or if they fire their weapon. Situational awareness and learning to recognize sound are all part of what makes a good player better than the average one.

If you want to promote this game as a competitive one, you have to take this into account. Red dots on the minimap makes it all too easy and we learn to rely more on the map than on our situational awareness and surrounding. I'm guilty of that myself and it's something I think really has no place on a competitive level.

Of course, i wouldn't mind for casual play but as long as it is not used for competitive matchmaking.

Also, there should be an option to remove the hud for those that do not want the map. Some casual/hardcore players might not want to have that and having a customizable hud (within reason) would go a long way in making the playing experience great to cather to differents kind of players for casual play.

What about minimap which shows always your team and the enemies only when they're spotted by someone?

7 hours ago, Zane said:

What about minimap which shows always your team and the enemies only when they're spotted by someone?

I think it is not a good choice because players are focused on red dot marked on minimap, run on them and they forget the main objective (depenping of gamemode played). It kills also the communication between players.

Minimap ON with only teammates is the best way to use it and a better compromise. IMHO

But it can be an option inside minimap managing :
Minimap : ON/OFF
if ON :
Minimap show only teammate : ON/OFF
Minimap show both team : ON/OFF
Minimap show ennemy spotted and/or firing with un-silent weapon : ON/OFF
Minimap show objective icon : ON/OFF

20 hours ago, Zane said:

I personally dislike this.. the person who sees an enemy could tell it by teamspeak or ingame chat.. I would never like to see an enemy on my minimap.

Some people even dislike a minimap you can only see your teammates, so I think this would be a step too far!

Edited by WeAsOne

+1 to what @kuN said.  From a competitive aspect, there definitely should be a minimap, similar to either CoD2/CoD4 (no enemy red dots) as its pretty important to be able to get a quick reference of not only where your team mates are but which area or direction they are watching.  But for pubbers/casual guys, sure, I can't imagine it being terribly difficult to give them the option to remove the minimap completely.

P.S. Hi !

Edited by scaR

Well if you look at Cs they have a minimap where friends are always showed and enemies only if spotted and nobody ever complained, it is important to have a way to spot enemy when you're playing a match alone and there is no comunication in the team.

Never ever a teammate on my minimap plz! (No, even not when spotted by a teammate)

It's worse enough to HAVE a minimap at all..

So pleasssse NO!

Edited by WeAsOne

1 hour ago, Zane said:

it is important to have a way to spot enemy when you're playing a match alone and there is no comunication in the team.

Just communicate with the team.. you can by ingame chat.. just like CoD 1 and 2.. no-one ever complained either!

1 hour ago, Zane said:

Well if you look at Cs they have a minimap where friends are always showed and enemies only if spotted and nobody ever complained, it is important to have a way to spot enemy when you're playing a match alone and there is no communication in the team.

There is going to be in game VOIP, so communicating with teammates is going to be possible even if you're joining a competitive match alone.

As I said in an earlier post, enemy spotting is fine in casual/pub since you're basically joining in to frag, practice and chill with other players. But for competitive, I strongly feel the removal of red dots when you see enemy players and when they fire their weapon will add more depth to the competitive side of the game because players will need to communicate more efficiently and be more aware of their surrounding.

Edited by kuN

11 hours ago, kuN said:

But for competitive, I strongly feel the removal of red dots when you see enemy players and when they fire their weapon will add more depth to the competitive side of the game because players will need to communicate more efficiently and be more aware of their surrounding.

And since Battalion is a competitive game itself, let's throw away the idea of any possibility an enemy is shown on the minimap.

Would make me so gdm happy, thx.

Same opinion as @WeAsOne.

I don't think we will need a minimap. Also using minimap (with enemy) in casual and using minimap (without enemy) in competitive is a bad idea. IMO it's better to stick with one HUD in every gamemode and gametype. For me the best would be a compass, like it was shown in the trailer with adjustable size, because I hate when the HUD covers the 90% of the screen. IF there will be a minimap, I don't want to see the enemy on it. 

When you are getting closer to an enemy, you will hear the steps, so you will be able to kinda sense where he is "hiding", and you can tell your teammates. Listening to the sounds of a game is very important. Just think about Overwatch. You can guess a lot just from the sounds without seeing the enemy heroes. :) 

Edited by Alomvampir

A full screen map is good, with the server admins being able to determine if real-time icons are present. But minimap seems like a crutch for actual tactical FPS mechanics, teammates should be providing the intel instead of the HUD.