Sign in to follow this  
grizzly

Another post about movement, because I feel that it's absolutely neccesary to talk about

I do see the potential in battalion as a competitive game and really want to see it succeed as each update rolls out.

But right now, this movement doesn't feel rewarding in the slightest. Even cod2 has more fluid and beautiful movement compared to battalion.

Call me an asshole but i just expected so much more, even from the beta weekend i watched phantasy playing battalion i was just like.. that's really the movement? surely they'll update it.

Then i watched a dustmouret interview with brammertron, clarifying goals for battalion, how everything works and just getting the battalion message out there. He went on to say that the team thinks that movement is in a pretty good state right now. And that statement i can't disagree with enough, I have had enough of these games that have completely scrapped movement and made it cater to casual players so that everybody is on 1 level just like what csgo did 

It upsets me that the movement as a whole feels so lackluster, don't get me wrong i appreciate the spots you can jump up on and the clipping on every map is very well done. just like cod1/2/4. But please bulkhead, look into movement because it's not in a good state right now. I truly hope that brammer only said that to get more people to test out battalion...

I truly believe one of the BIGGEST reasons why classic fps succeeded e.g (1.6,quake,doom,cod1/2/4,painkiller, Wolfenstein ET,daikatana) was because the movement was pure, it was simple but at the same time took many hours to master and FELT rewarding (key word there, FELT. MOVEMENT HAS A FEELING!!!).

Please, for the PC community refine the movement, don't cater to the masses because they don't understand, do what's right.

Edited by grizzly
  • Upvote 3

I'm no longer sure what's wrong with this game. I was hardcore cod 1/2/4 player but no longer think it's fun and the same attitude has my friends that also played this type of game. The new generation of players apparently does not like this game type either. So who are going to play other than the e-sports players who have helped develop the game. I have a hard time seeing this, so maybe someone have an idea. BF players will be going for BF ww2 and I would guess a lot of the cod ww2 players are going to do the same, and why are the cod ww2 players not playing B44. Will it be a choice between csgo and B44?

@johnoboro

the movement is fine, but fine isn't good. the best example of another game that destroyed amazing movement was csgo, 1.6 and source are so much more individually skill based, it's more linear and boring for a spectator, but for the player you have so much more control, no dumb mechanics like full sprinting with a pistol and landing headshots, on 1.6 and source you side strafe and get rewarded (back when pistol rounds were 100% skill based). in csgo it's almost like a 50/50 chance that the sidestrafe wont even do anything, and don't get me started about the bhopping.. hidden path entertainment killed movement in the newer source engine

also i'm on 1280x1024, the difference feels so noticeable but at the same time i wish i could just use 1920 while having smooth movement

when you play on the allied side of derailed and do perfect strafes as an smg , all to just be naded on your feet. it feels so limiting

• Upvote 1

if you have front spawn allied near the corner of the wall you beat nades or maybe take little damage... it takes about a second mayber 2 more for the deep nade so as long as the sniper doesnt pick you off and you get there in minnimum possible time crouch strafing to reset your sprint ect its no bother most of the time

the animations and movements do need work.cant expect it to be cod2/cod4 smooth yet but hopefully that is the aim. there is some clunky stuff ti many things this needs to be smoothed out and slicker.

5 hours ago, dgeesio said:

the animations and movements do need work.cant expect it to be cod2/cod4 smooth yet but hopefully that is the aim. there is some clunky stuff ti many things this needs to be smoothed out and slicker.

i agree that the animations need to be improved but its more than just animations, overall the way air acceleration works and whatnot needs to be completely reworked. if reflex arena has amazing movement and that was built from scratch then bulkhead can manage to do it (obviously not as fast as reflex, but the same style as cod2/4)

• Upvote 1

I just feel like i'm 15yo again and have a blast with it..

Sorry I have nothing to feed the discussion, but I feel like it's important to hear when someone in satisfied as well :)

Seriously downvotes on this? Something is wrong with that part of the community.. sad.

Edited by WeAsOne
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

5 hours ago, johnoboro said:

i think people are forgetting this is the unreal engine, the chances of getting cod4 movement are pretty much none.. i mean to get the movement how they have with unreal engine is pretty sick tbh

it can't be impossible, these sound like excuses to be honest. it should be the standard of what their aim is, if anything cod4's from 2007, make it better than cod4.

also there's already people that have ported idtech3 movement into ue4, obviously i haven't tested this so i'm not sure how good it is.

Edited by grizzly
  • Upvote 1

that is great to see and i believe the team could make the game very close movement wise if that was there aim and deam it worth there while. the problem is with the game having bad players constantly crying over strafing and lowish numbers would the team push for better strafing ? better players will want it while joe avg on xbox pad hates it.

• Upvote 1

On 16-3-2018 at 10:30 PM, WeAsOne said:

I just feel like i'm 15yo again and have a blast with it..

Sorry I have nothing to feed the discussion, but I feel like it's important to hear when someone in satisfied as well :)

Being positive still gives you something to 'feed' the discussion. Most people here seem to dislike the movement, but you don't. What do you like about the movement?

Edited by Grasshopper

if we honest. is battalion movement as good as it could be ? its great being postive but we should be realistic aswell.

cod 2/4 was created by a massive multi billion pounds company.1000s of workers / employees.the thing is to get to that point you have to pour your heart and soul into a project and get the right people.to make a great game.many at cod are earning a wage not putting there soul in it.thats why modern cod games to people like us is bad.its a wage they earn instead of making a great game !

the movement is not great.it needs to be slicker, better, faster.there are many basic places , animations that should be better.everything should be fluid. it isnt easy but you should aim for the clouds.you may not get the clouds but you will get a great game if you try your best and put your heart in it. its early access so we shouldnt be too hard.

there is always a way to do something. so try for it. dont just do enough to make the par.thats why many games are boring so quickly.no one wants to do more than earn a wage.when all the great games that do earn there status are often from love and the heart. sounds  stupid but when you play those truly great games that come around. it isnt a wage to make them you feel it when playing. you can feel the extra mile put in to make that small little thing. which could of been i spent a few hrs on it that ll do. to im not happy with it lets redo it till its right ! maybe its past my working hrs i maybe late for my next train and earn nothing from getting it done !

in short dont let medicore be the bar.to make the game to.aim high.put the effort in.thats what the main people who make fps did at the start but along the way lose what maee them popular.

11 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Being positive still gives you something to 'feed' the discussion. Most people here seem to dislike the movement, but you don't. What do you like about the movement?

I bought (backed) this game because of my cod1 roots.. I wanted a game like that..

After playing battalion I did try to play cod1 again and for me clearly battalion is even better in this stage..

I like the movement (i see that minor changes could make it a bit more fluid) and this game makes cod1 a bit unplayable for me..

So I wanted a cod1 remake, but are now sucked into this game a lot and I like it.

+ ADS is great (that's what I don't like about CS and what I wanted back)

+ Strafe jumping gives an extra dimention

+ Sprint gives more options for positioning

And I just like it all...

But tweaks are always welcome :)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1