Razor

What map locations would you like to see in Battalion 1944?

Took this from the last update and don't bother to reply in the chaotic comments on kickstarter :P

Community Question Time: What map locations would you like to see in Battalion 1944? Are there any classic maps from your favourite WW2 shooters you’d like to see remade?

I for one would love to see a map around the Hydroelectric Plant in Vemork, Norway!

The Allies remained concerned that the occupation forces would use the facility to produce more heavy water for their weapons programme. Between 1940 and 1944, a sequence of sabotage actions, by the Norwegian resistance movement—as well as Allied bombing—ensured the destruction of the plant and the loss of the heavy water produced. These operations—codenamed Grouse, Freshman, and Gunnerside—finally managed to knock the plant out of production in early 1943.

Read more here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian ... r_sabotage

http://www.hydro.com/en/About-Hydro/Our ... -Telemark/

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... water.aspx

I know for realism that would mean to implement the Norwegian resistance but no need for that since the British forces was just as involved ;)

As to favorites they are Brecourt • Carentan • Dawnville • Harbor • Hurtgen • Pavlov • Stalingrad (all vCOD maps)

1. With Christopher Nolan making a potentially epic film of Dunkirk I think a Dunkirk (operation Dynamo) map is too bigger opportunity to miss, think of it as a D-Day map in reverse.

2. If you are doing D-Day try something different to the much travelled – Omaha, Point-du-Hoc etc. Maybe Juno Beach with the Canadians (saw fighting as fierce as Omaha at times), or Fort Hillman. Also although I’ve seen it done well in single-player I don’t think I’ve yet seen a multi-player Pegasus Bridge – this could be made into an awesome CTF map with Germans one side of the bridge and British airborne on the other – Café Gondree offering the obligatory Sniper nest.

3. Operation Market Garden’s bridge too far is an obvious one.

4. Most the COD2 maps would be good to see again of course; especially any Normandy based ones.

5. Dieppe Raid’s never been done has it?

6. Battle of the Bulge – Dec 1944 – Jan 1945 of course; I think you may have already started a map on this?

Community Question Time: What map locations would you like to see in Battalion 1944? Are there any classic maps from your favourite WW2 shooters you’d like to see remade?

MoH:AA-S&D:V2,CROSSROADS,HUNT,ST LO

TDM,FFA,CTF:DESTROYED VILLAGE,SOUTHERN FRANCE,REMAGEN,STALINGRAD,

COD 1,2-S&D:CARENTAN,DAWNWILLE,BURGUNDY,ST MERE ENGLISE,TOUJANE

top maps :D

I think many maps are obvious potential for remakes of the MoH, CoD and other classic games of the WWII Normandy and later.

Any map based around our film and TV experiences, Band of Brothers, Saving Private Ryan, The Longest Day will always be of interest such as Omaha (or any beaches) Brecourt, Carentan, and on through to Bastoigne. But often maps will need a certain licence or modification to stop them being one sided - there is a reason why they were horrible to attack.

One should consider other less well known but still realistic locations from the same European theatre, albeit that it can involve different armies. For example Caen saw lots of conflict, but it wasn't US. Pegasus Bridge could be obvious (and adds a dimension of night), and of course was infantry only fitting very well with the Battalion 1944 non vehicle ethos.

There must be opportunities for a harbour setting with Cherberg. Further afield, perhaps something with V2 rockets and Wizernes (all sorts of tunnels and stuff), I know it was effectively bombed, but still perhaps a good place for a land based fight. Some of the U-boat pens too.

Omaha/utah beaches.

Carentan

St marie eglise.

Bastonge

Stalingrad

Berlin

Paris

Point du hoc.

Pretty much the basics covered lol.

Favorite maps for me would be:

- Brecourt map from Darkest Hour

- Carentan from Darkest Hour

- Dawnville (COD2)

- Foy (and surrounding forest- COD:UO/COD)

.. off the top of my head

I love how Darkest Hour map makers created maps that gave players room to move. They were the perfect size, giving you what most FPS maps lacked- OPTIONS!!!! It wasn't just path A, B, and C. Their Brecourt and Carentan maps weren't just the main part of the city (e.g. COD2), but the surrounding area as well, offering different angles for assault and counter attack. For example- on Carentan you could actually push the Germans back into the meadows on the outskirts of town, turning their once defensive point (the city) into a place to assault them from as they ran.... that is if you even made it into town past that nasty MG fire :)

Check out some YouTube footage of these maps to see what I mean.

I'd also love to see some maps like the COD2 custom V2 Rocket map fleshed out. The idea was a lot better than the execution, but I think you guys could do something special with it. Picture assaulting a production facility of some kind- maybe a Junkers plant or V2 facility- past all sorts of machinery to clear out the Germans and destroy the facility.

Another great one would be assaulting the Kehlsteinhaus (Eagle's Nest). Picture desperate Allied forces trying to assault up a stretch of winding mountain roads, constantly being fired on from Germans in superior positions. If successful, they would finally make it to the base of the Nest, and have then get up into the facility. They could assault from a few different paths up the mountain, or choose to try and go up the gold plated elevator directly into the facility itself... but of course the Germans wouldn't make it easy.

For me it would be the following;

The Crossroads

Destroyed Village

The Algiers

Burgundy

Caen

Carentan

Dawnville

Harbor

Matmata

Toujane

Standard choices from me

Would be awesome if they did the map names like this

Operation Market Garden

Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Netherlands (Operation Market Garden)

Arnhem

Eindhoven

Nijmegen

Everybody knows one of the biggest battles in the Netherlands named Operation Market Garden, if not watch ''A bridge to far''. Such a good movie

[France]

Normandy Coastline (Omaha Beach)

Carentan (Operation Overlord)

St. Merle Eglise (Utah Beach)

Brecourt was an amazing COD map. I love maps with a snow scene like the hurtgun forest. Think this would be a great addition especially if players have the snow camo skins.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

Most COD2 ones, would be interesting to see COD4 maps but converted into a WW2 setting though (most likely won't work).

Took this from the last update and don't bother to reply in the chaotic comments on kickstarter :P

I for one would love to see a map around the Hydroelectric Plant in Vemork, Norway!

The Allies remained concerned that the occupation forces would use the facility to produce more heavy water for their weapons programme. Between 1940 and 1944, a sequence of sabotage actions, by the Norwegian resistance movement—as well as Allied bombing—ensured the destruction of the plant and the loss of the heavy water produced. These operations—codenamed Grouse, Freshman, and Gunnerside—finally managed to knock the plant out of production in early 1943.

Read more here:

)

I think this would be a great location to base a map on. As far as I know the only uses of this location previously were an expansion map in Battlefield 1942, a custom map called Telemark in Cod UO and the original Medal of Honor had a single player mission involving destroying a heavy water plant. I'll post a large write up sometime soon on which classic maps I'd like to see either recreated or inspired by.

The remakes from old games I'd really like to see are as follows:

Day of Defeat: Anzio, Lennon, Harrington, Railroad

CoD 2: Toujane, Carentan, Burgundy, St. Mere Eglise, Matmata

With those CoD 2 maps, I'd like them redesigned in a way that suit competitive play a little more. By that I mean, less "random areas" to hide, and get rid of the spots where you can remain virtually unseen by an enemy (showing an extremely small amount of your body) and still able to have a relatively large sight line and get kills. There are areas on these maps where it is nearly impossible to see someone and can be quite frustrating to play against. Even if you know a person is in the spots I'm talking about, it is very hard to get a good peek on them and find the frag.

I think the devs should make new maps and leave the modding community to remake the classics. I love a lot of the CoD 1 maps but I would love to see new ideas and maps.

I kinda agree with you on this one and I bet the mappers out there will bring some of the old classics back to life and bring on a few of the custom maps made for COD :)

P

Read more here:

)

Here's some screenshots I've just taken of the Telemark map I was talking about earlier.

A4iktUP.jpg

SmRh9dL.jpg

hFNrJfU.jpg

Mm3aPXo.jpg

mETDfcU.jpg

Where I can think off:

Reichswalt (Forest near Kleve)

Operation Market Garden (Arnhem)

Caen

Battle of the Bulge

Battle of Monte Cassino (Italian Mountain)

El Alamein

Ludendorff Bridge (last bridge over the Rhine)

Dunkirk

Warsaw Ghetto Uprising

Battle of the Seelow Heights (last german defense line)

Edited by Guest
  • Upvote 1

As a wee change of pace and style I don't think anyone has mentioned ship from COD:UO. Imagine done in stormy sea's rocking up and down or in the lashing rain or at night would be fantastic !

640?cb=20120219045610

Ship is a multiplayer map in Call of Duty and Call of Duty: United Offensive. It is based on the level "Battleship Tirpitz". ( from a Norwegian Fjord)

Ship is a large medium sized map for Call of Duty: United Offensive standards. It is a tall map, as it contains a series of stairs heading farther up, until the player reaches a control room. This area contains many rooms, in which hiding with automatic guns are recommended. In the various high areas of the ship, rifles are more useful, having received a large view of soldiers throughout the base of the ship. However, falling from these areas will commonly result in an instant death.

As a wee change of pace and style I don't think anyone has mentioned ship from COD:UO. Imagine done in stormy sea's rocking up and down or in the lashing rain or at night would be fantastic !

640?cb=20120219045610

Ship is a multiplayer map in Call of Duty and Call of Duty: United Offensive. It is based on the level "Battleship Tirpitz". ( from a Norwegian Fjord)

Ship is a large medium sized map for Call of Duty: United Offensive standards. It is a tall map, as it contains a series of stairs heading farther up, until the player reaches a control room. This area contains many rooms, in which hiding with automatic guns are recommended. In the various high areas of the ship, rifles are more useful, having received a large view of soldiers throughout the base of the ship. However, falling from these areas will commonly result in an instant death.

Oh I remember that map, loved that one! I have actually seen it irl since I lived just half a hour from it ;) With weather effects and such that could be very cool!

The remakes from old games I'd really like to see are as follows:

Day of Defeat: Anzio, Lennon, Harrington, Railroad

I really want to see a remake of those maps, as the majority is talking about cod2 maps. A variety of new things and 'cod2-things', but most importantly not only cod2, is suitable. Addressing a widespread player base with different gaming backgrounds isn't the worst idea in my opinion.

Battle of Anzio (Operation Shingle) (dod_anzio)

Invasion of Sicily (Operation Husky) (dod_saints)

Dod maps tend to be a bit smaller, but surelely there is way to open up some areas.