sNrklhaai

Games not yet dead guys.. Let's talk about it!

6 hours ago, Zane said:

It's not dynamic tho, in cod you can mantle over anything that has a specific height, in Battalion you can do it only in some scripted spots

That sucks major balls. Well, they either code every obstacle on every map or make an automated script for mantling. Current jump height feels even higher than BF2's kangaroos.

5 hours ago, Powdermonkey said:

As a gamer I am getting really tired of what seems to be newer generations of gamers who almost instantly after the start of an EA go: "lolz you guiz, game's dead, plz fix"

Can't agree with that statement sorry. Reason being Battalion was supposed to be based on CoD2, CoD4 or whatever and the generation this game was aimed at are i would guess to be in there 30's to 60's and Battalion is nothing like either of these games which for the old hand's is disappointing.

5 hours ago, Powdermonkey said:

I have no idea how interactive the devs are, I mean, I read somewhere they really value the feedback etc,

Think they read what they want but nothing really constructive comes from them here.

They have an official forum here but they put everything out on Reddit or Twitter... go figure?

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Excel said:

They have an official forum here but they put everything out on Reddit or Twitter... go figure?

reddit generally gobbles up everything you throw at them. At this point seems like Bulkhead isn't looking for any kind of criticism, just praises. Probably why they stopped caring about their own forums because half of the people here are mad at them and rightfully so they are.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Tygrys said:

At this point seems like Bulkhead isn't looking for any kind of criticism, just praises. Probably why they stopped caring about their own forums because half of the people here are mad at them and rightfully so they are.

They should take criticism on board and build from it. Who in their right mind is going to say "great game devs keep it up" when in reality they have pissed off 15k players through not listening to the masses who really looked forward to a game which was supposed to replace the old style shooters which what is left of the clan community wanted/needed to build this community back up again.

Im sorry but i can't be optimistic at the moment, just seems the game isn't being adapted or replicated for the "old school" players at all but is being made for a newer game style which seems only a hand full of people like.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Excel said:

Can't agree with that statement sorry. Reason being Battalion was supposed to be based on CoD2, CoD4 or whatever and the generation this game was aimed at are i would guess to be in there 30's to 60's and Battalion is nothing like either of these games which for the old hand's is disappointing.

that's a bit of a harsh statement, I def can see the old school vibe, but it isn't properly there yet on that I can agree.

Think they read what they want but nothing really constructive comes from them here.

Yeah that is the eternal tricky dynamic of a lot of early access games, I've seen it several times before: hype, closed alpha, open beta/early access, hype turns out to be....hype, shitstorm ensues, people flood forums with as many legit complaints as mouthbreather rants, devs get discouraged and disengage from interacting.
My last EA involvement was the game Eternal Crusade and...well...let's just leave it at that.

1 hour ago, Powdermonkey said:

that's a bit of a harsh statement, I def can see the old school vibe, but it isn't properly there yet on that I can agree.

What is so harsh, its the truth lol. I was playing CoD back in the day and every CoD thereafter but mainly CoD2 and CoD4 in leagues and im 50 so i based my age bracket of players from around those times if that's what you meant by being harsh.

People like me wanted that game play style back but instead we got the equivalent of CoD Advanced Warfare without the jetpacks but the same effect :)

10 hours ago, Excel said:

What is so harsh, its the truth lol. I was playing CoD back in the day and every CoD thereafter but mainly CoD2 and CoD4 in leagues and im 50 so i based my age bracket of players from around those times if that's what you meant by being harsh.

People like me wanted that game play style back but instead we got the equivalent of CoD Advanced Warfare without the jetpacks but the same effect :)

I'm 38 myself so I'd fall in your agegroup.
I don't find the gameplay to be 'nothing alike', but neither does it get it right so far.
If you think back to the original CoD: the bunny hopping, the TTK, the godlike BAR, etc, I'm seeing similar issues here aswell.
I prefer team deathmatches as gamemode and it's somewhat annoying you can't filter gamemodes in arcade.
Also I never played advanced warfare, I stopped when they left the ww2 genre, all the spraying and praying and other nonsense just wasnt for me.
Been playing for some days now, bought in on saturday and I feel old and slow as hell.
I think the difference is we come from different places: you seem to have been (or stil are) way more into the fps whereas I was always a casual player.

What I don;'t understand about the current state of the game, and where I think you make a good point is why it isn't exactly like shooters way back.
Especially as it's what they advertised with.

• Upvote 1

Finally, the latest patch fixed some major bug for me, which caused the game to crash on launch and after about 3 - 4 weeks of forced absence I got to play again.

Unfortunately, it took no less than another 10 more hours playtime and I suddenly find myself understanding how the player count happened to drop that fast. Believe me, I hate to say, but it really is not much of a fun experience playing this game at the moment, to me anyway.

To be honest, I'm certainly not a prime example of what might be described as their target audience. In fact, I knew from the get-go that there will be a bunch of features I'm not too fond of, like prone posture, long ranged grenades, quick melee, and leaning. However, I still have been able to enjoy fps games to a satifying extent, even when those didn't tick all the boxes and the basic framework here seemed to be about alright. I expected to at least find some niche somewhere in the game, like casual CTF, where it really would shine for me. This certainly is not the case at the moment and with all the flaws combined, there are simply way more attractive alternatives spending time on.

I read throw a lot of the feedback and critics people have voiced and in regards to gameplay, I would agree that there's a major design flaw underlying, which causes several particular issues to be brought up again and again. At the moment Battalion seems to be stuck somewhere in between a fast-paced arcade-ish and a more modern styled tactical shooter. Look, if this was to be a real fast-paced game, why would you cancel reloads while sprinting, why would you limit sprinting to such a ridiculously low amount of time, or even limit it at all? How does mantling fit into the picture, when movement is supposed to be down to players' skill? Why would you allow such a low TTK, while you're able to jump for miles and land perfect shots mid-air? This doesn't add up in my book.

Looking at things from the other perspective, playing tactical doesn't make much sense either, especially having Wartide on mind here. The maps, which used to be laid out just right in a pretty straightforward fashion (3 lane model), suddenly got all kinds of additional routes and cross connections added to them. Now there are tons of angles to keep an eye on all the time. There are weird spots to hide and peek from. Sure, eventually you got to learn them all, but it makes it pretty hard to establish a proper line of defense and therefore encourages aggressive playstyles even on the defending side, which ultimately renders it another frantic run-and-gun mode.

Actually, there are quite a few other, mostly smaller things getting in the way, adding to the list of frustrating situations. Lots of those, I guess, are part of any EA game and sure will receive some attention sooner or later. Most prominently, of course, server/connection issues (lost connection to host).

Anyhow, I'm not here to ask Bulkhead to change this game the way I want it to be, nor do I feel a need to get into another discussion with the community at this point. I guess, foremost, I really just needed to get this disappointment off of my chest and rather than just staying away, at least leave some reasons as to why I'm not going to add to the concurrent player count for the time being.

CYA

Edited by RLpacifist

45 minutes ago, RLpacifist said:

Anyhow, I'm not here to ask Bulkhead to change this game the way I want it to be, nor do I feel a need to get into another discussion with the community at this point. I guess, foremost, I really just needed to get this disappointment off of my chest and rather than just staying away, at least leave some reasons as to why I'm not going to add to the concurrent player count for the time being.

CYA

thanks for sharing, RL. your philosophy of shooters sounds very similar to mine so i can relate to a lot of what you say. of all you've said the biggest comment that stands out to me is that the game is confused as to what it's trying to be. the combination of low ttk, fast movement and laser beam weapons sounds like the mix is too rich for all but those who play tournament matches. one, two or all of these 3 things has to give. it's just a matter of what and when. unfortunately, for some players who are disappointed by the latest update, the when is probably already too long.

Some great comments I love the game and what they have done to some of the maps. Not sure about the lighting seems too bright on some maps but now it feels like the axis have every advantage over the allies. with every weapon .I'm not sure what they have done to the servers but pings in game are bad. It still feels that players with high pings get the advantage

Managed to get a few games in FINALLY after this patch disaster and hilariously enough if people aren't playing like spastics, jumping every corner, the game plays fine - but that's it. TTK is still disgustingly low and one hit kills are making me rage. Other than that there's a decent game under there however Bulkhead won't change their "vision" which will ultimately lead them to kill their own game if this keeps up. In it's current state I don't see casuals flocking to this game and this is the main enemy of this game - player numbers.

8 hours ago, RLpacifist said:

At the moment Battalion seems to be stuck somewhere in between a fast-paced arcade-ish and a more modern styled tactical shooter. Look, if this was to be a real fast-paced game, why would you cancel reloads while sprinting, why would you limit sprinting to such a ridiculously low amount of time, or even limit it at all? How does mantling fit into the picture, when movement is supposed to be down to players' skill? Why would you allow such a low TTK, while you're able to jump for miles and land perfect shots mid-air? This doesn't add up in my book.

Reload cancel while sprinting gives the ability to cancel reloads and that alone imo adds a lot to the fluidity because you can always cancel actions you don't want to perform anymore for some reason, so if for example you had a few bullets in your magazine and decide to reload but then an enemy picks you, you have the ability to fight him, instead of dying while performing an action you don't need. All of the stuff you mentioned which "doesn't add up in your book" are all CoD 4 features and yeah I don't want to be one of those guys who say "it was in cod4 so its fine", but the way you describe make them look like they have no sense, which they actually do, CoD4 was a good game and the fact it was also a good competitive game has already been proved. 

I'm amazed you just recently reported them as being out of place, since you've been here for a while and also afaik tested the alphas I expected you had an overall idea of what the game was trying to be and where it took inspiration from. In my opinion the reason why many people are complaining about some of those mechanics is because CoD4 perfectly executed the kind of gameplay it was trying to achieve and everything was balanced (even more with promod) while Battalion on the other side is a decent reproduction of it, but still not as good movement, graphics and balance wise.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, Zane said:

Reload cancel while sprinting gives the ability to cancel reloads and that alone imo adds a lot to the fluidity because you can always cancel actions you don't want to perform anymore for some reason, so if for example you had a few bullets in your magazine and decide to reload but then an enemy picks you, you have the ability to fight him, instead of dying while performing an action you don't need. All of the stuff you mentioned which "doesn't add up in your book" are all CoD 4 features and yeah I don't want to be one of those guys who say "it was in cod4 so its fine", but the way you describe make them look like they have no sense, which they actually do, CoD4 was a good game and the fact it was also a good competitive game has already been proved. 

I'm amazed you just recently reported them as being out of place, since you've been here for a while and also afaik tested the alphas I expected you had an overall idea of what the game was trying to be and where it took inspiration from. In my opinion the reason why many people are complaining about some of those mechanics is because CoD4 perfectly executed the kind of gameplay it was trying to achieve and everything was balanced (even more with promod) while Battalion on the other side is a decent reproduction of it, but still not as good movement, graphics and balance wise.

well said zane

• Downvote 1

Anyone who can make a summary of what's going on in here? :D

SO MUCH TO READ!! 

• Downvote 1

Ok so the game is pretty stable for me after the last update. I didn't get any crashes anymore after the last (small) update.

Also the gameplay is playable and kinda fun. BUT i still think the development needs to make a few tough decisions maybe towards something that they aimed for @ the kickstarter or maybe something (a bit) different from what we have now.

As on discord we did a small bet about how players that would play after the update. I said like 1250 because I don't think a lot of people we're still waiting for the update only the players who already basically loved the game kinda or we're playing already. The others who went away don't even know there was an update because they stopped following..

Now we're back at the same playercount as before the update. And that tells us IMO that there are not enough players who like the game how it's meant to be atm. Because im pretty sure they didn't just leave for the bugs, but a lot of them left because of what the game is heading towards. The guys who only left for the bugs probally tried the game right after the first big update. I hope bulkhead get's the right information what everybody is basically looking for, because it's true the playercount is a big enemy of this game. Will the current 1000 still be here after 9 more months of development?

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sNrklhaai said:

Ok so the game is pretty stable for me after the last update. I didn't get any crashes anymore after the last (small) update.

Also the gameplay is playable and kinda fun. BUT i still think the development needs to make a few tough decisions maybe towards something that they aimed for @ the kickstarter or maybe something (a bit) different from what we have now.

As on discord we did a small bet about how players that would play after the update. I said like 1250 because I don't think a lot of people we're still waiting for the update only the players who already basically loved the game kinda or we're playing already. The others who went away don't even know there was an update because they stopped following..

Now we're back at the same playercount as before the update. And that tells us IMO that there are not enough players who like the game how it's meant to be atm. Because im pretty sure they didn't just leave for the bugs, but a lot of them left because of what the game is heading towards. The guys who only left for the bugs probally tried the game right after the first big update. I hope bulkhead get's the right information what everybody is basically looking for, because it's true the playercount is a big enemy of this game. Will the current 1000 still be here after 9 more months of development?

This.

We did the same betting with my friends, I was very optimistic with my 3-4k guess (for 1 or 2 days, then back to 1-2k) I was like, this is the first major update people will check out the changes and stuff. Well I was somewhat wrong. I stated eariler here on this forum, that this game already got its biggest possible hype that was the EA release. Whoever wanted to play this game already bought and tried it, and 90+% of the players didn't get what they expected so they left, they will NEVER come back. Joe Brammer is delusional and keep posting bullshit things like "I wonder if I leaked the stuff we are working on the player base would just grow and grow but I'm not going to", haha, full of bullshit.

This Joe guy is a joke. Game had so much potentional, such a waste.

Edited by adze
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

@Zane, I'm afraid you're missing the point here.

I'm not trying to explain why the game may be no fun to play for the general public. Again, I only tried figuring out, why it doesn't make me want to play it anymore after only about 20 hours played total. That's since Alpha 5. Mind you, my feedback on the game after the first time ever playing it was "not exactly blowing me away" and I couldn't play at all for the last 3 weeks and there's quite some stuff being changed in the meantime, like maps' layouts. Questioning my honesty here is pretty presumptuous, to put it mildly. Look, it is not like a conscious decision to make when you quit a game in disgust literally saying out loud "I don't need this". That's what happened, believe it or not. The big question I'm trying to answer myself is, what made it happen because I'm the last person who would have expected myself being put off like that.

Besides, you singling out that one game mechanic and throwing COD4PROMOD!!! as the universal argument at me is why I don't see a ground for healthy discussing this kind of stuff at the moment. Considering a mechanic that always slows you down, that is, interrupting your movement, while reloading (not only when you wish to cancel a badly timed reload, which in most skilled based games is supposed to leave you fragged and rightfully so) to be 'fluid', is beyond me. Sorry, but we either talk about good game design as open-minded as possible or just take the cheap road and die trying to clone COD best possible. I'm not in for the latter one obviously. Though, just to give you an idea how things could be if people would allow themselves to look a little further than COD. In CS:GO you can cancel out reloads by changing the weapon back and forth and you don't have to mess with your movement. Great, isn't it.

Edited by RLpacifist

12 hours ago, Tygrys said:

In it's current state I don't see casuals flocking to this game and this is the main enemy of this game - player numbers.

exactly this.
I drop in every now and then, play 1 to 3 matches, it's not a fun experience due to the learningcurve that's needed to get the most out of the movements, maps, etc.
On the other hand, I find it hard to believe that pro (minded) players like the mechanics as the game has now either.

Perhaps it's an idea to make some deeper changes to the different modes: arcade won't have low TTK, no peeking etc.
And the competition mode can have these functions exclusively instead.

Just thinking out loud.

3 hours ago, adze said:

"if I leaked the stuff we are working on the player base would just grow and grow but I'm not going to"

If this is actually true then this game is far worse off than I thought. This is slowly rivaling DayZ levels of lies and bullshit.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, adze said:

Joe Brammer is delusional and keep posting bullshit things like "if I leaked the stuff we are working on the player base would just grow and grow but I'm not going to", haha, full of bullshit.

I wonder if I just leaked everything I'm working on this week the player base would just... grow... I'm not going to :) but the stuff we have coming is very cool.

The meaning is quite different between what you "quote" and the real sentence of Joe.

Edited by Connard
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Connard said:

The meaning is quite different between what you "quote" and the real sentence of Joe.

I'm sorry if I misunderstood something, but what's the difference in meaning?

• Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, adze said:

He WONDERS if the playerbase will grow if he leaked what he's working on. So he is not sure the playerbase will actually grow. But from your post it seems like he is sure the playerbase will grow if he starts leaking things. 

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, adze said:

In his tweet, Joe only questions himself about the results of a leak. In the way you quote it, the result he gives is an affirmation.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Connard said:

In his tweet, Joe only questions himself about the results of a leak. In the way you quote it, the result he gives is an affirmation.

Oh, I see. Edited my post.

Thanks