sNrklhaai

Games not yet dead guys.. Let's talk about it!

I must admit to playing the new version the other weekend and it has changed a lot which in turn get's my hopes up once more.

None of that laggy feel, colours looked better and the hit reg seemed better (think the STG is too op though) but it seems to be going in the right direction i think but is it too late?

to late for what? I think the current state of the game, it should have been the one in February. it was a devs mistake, imho.
but again, it's no too late. Game still is in EA, under development. So guys, keep devs work, i m sure that game will be a GREAT game.

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MkKoY said:

to late for what? I think the current state of the game, it should have been the one in February. it was a devs mistake, imho.
but again, it's no too late. Game still is in EA, under development. So guys, keep devs work, i m sure that game will be a GREAT game.

You cant come back from this: https://steamcharts.com/app/489940

Meanwhile the devs are being arrogant (they have been since the start) to the critics on social media and planning competitive events that nobody watch. Look at Rainbow Six, thay have built a consistent player base and 2-3 YEARS AFTER THE RELEASE is when the competitive scene started to grow.

When you build a house you start by the bottom, not by the roof. And that has nothing to do with being Bulkhead or Ubisoft.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Sergionator said:

You cant come back from this: https://steamcharts.com/app/489940

Why and how do you know there's no coming back possible? It's not going to be an easy task, though, that doesn't necessarily make it an impossible one. What is your expertise in this regard, what are the references you base that on? Or maybe, do you have a crystal ball telling you the future? Seriously, back up such general statements please, as you are obliged to explain yourself as anyone else is. I'm sick and tired of this BS...

Meanwhile the devs are being arrogant (they have been since the start) to the critics

I'd agree that the way of dealing with troublesome ongoings in the public wasn't exactly how I expect professionals to handle things, to begin with. I wouldn't agree to call it 'arrogant', though. But then, I'm so far away from so-called social media I don't really understand how this kind of customer relations are supposed to work these days. By the end of the day, I rather witness an honest meltdown with lots of anger thrown at me in an act of emotional cleansing, than swallowing those staged excuses of oh so costumer-friendly triple-A-cooperations.

Anyway, what really is the point you are trying to make here?

and planning competitive events that nobody watch. Look at Rainbow Six, thay have built a consistent player base and 2-3 YEARS AFTER THE RELEASE is when the competitive scene started to grow.

When you build a house you start by the bottom, not by the roof.

I have to agree to some extent, as I too find myself scratching my head in disbelief when yet another event is being announced, while the game is still under construction. I'm not sure how much resources Bulkhead really spends on this stuff, as this seems to be your underlying concern here I guess, but it looks like there is an interest by hosts and teams to organize and take part in such events and the bulk of the work is carried by those third-party people. At least I hope so. The point is, do you really want Bulkhead rejecting this interest in the game, telling those enthusiasts they have to wait another 2-3 years before they can grow the competitive scene, which basically these people are already right now?  Again, I somewhat agree it's sort of building the roof first, but maybe it is not that easy of a case. Staying with that picture, this house they are trying to build is a competitive shooter and 'competition' probably is the grout that house has to be built with and sure you can not add this later on.

Therefore, as much as I share the skepticism regarding their engagement towards LANs, I am not convinced it is indeed working against the goal of making the game a success.

And that has nothing to do with being Bulkhead or Ubisoft.

Yes, whoever builds a house, cannot start building the roof. However, as I tried to point out in the upper paragraph, maybe this is not even a case of a roof-first-attempt, to begin with. Additionally, you imply both companies could do equally well by basically ignoring the competitive potential of one of their games for 2 - 3 years after release. Well, I would say it is more of a risky approach for a smaller entity like Bulkhead, which is dependent almost exclusively on that one game, while having less capital to carry them over that time, compared to a well-established studio with several well-established IPs, which allow for cross-financing and keep the business a-running in the meantime.

Look, I believe we got to give some extra patience and some extra goodwill to indie companies these days, as the big players don't give a hoot about the niche-customers anymore. Everybody is bound to make mistakes and nobody who is responsible for running a company is obliged to take advice from faceless randoms on the internet, like you or me. If you don't trust their intentions and abilities and rather stay away for now, OK, that's fine. There've been more than enough shitty scams going on in the indie scene, so I won't blame anyone being pissed right now. However, when putting some more effort into researching the studio and keeping up with the current development than spreading assumptions and accusations, maybe you'll get more out of it in the end.

Edited by RLpacifist
  • Upvote 2

I told the devs and this forum months ago the movement is shit. And so it has been proven, game dead. 

I have no idea how you managed to get such a basic thing wrong. 

Edited by zuki
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

What's going on, still someone here  :D

Are u guys playing the update? I'm not cba as long as the normal game isn't updated. I will probally start the game once it is updated.

Don't think i will stick around though . Player growth for mu2 was 0,1% i saw on brammers twitter.

1 hour ago, sNrklhaai said:

What's going on, still someone here  :D

Are u guys playing the update? I'm not cba as long as the normal game isn't updated. I will probally start the game once it is updated.

Don't think i will stick around though . Player growth for mu2 was 0,1% i saw on brammers twitter.

I just came on the forum to ask the exact same question. how was the update received? did most people like it, hate it or just don't care? judging by the complete lack of activity on the forum and zero twitch streams i'm guessing nobody cares anymore.

15 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

I just came on the forum to ask the exact same question. how was the update received? did most people like it, hate it or just don't care? judging by the complete lack of activity on the forum and zero twitch streams i'm guessing nobody cares anymore.

Well, i didn't played the beta but the update (MU2) is released today to the public.

We will see if more players are coming back to Battalion.

Personnaly I just wait and see what happend really now since Devs have abandonned the forum and I m sad i didn't get wrong when last year we warned them they moved to the wrong direction. Saddly, my fear have been justified. The faith is gone. 🙄

2 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Well, i didn't played the beta but the update (MU2) is released today to the public.

We will see if more players are coming back to Battalion.

Personnaly I just wait and see what happend really now since Devs have abandonned the forum and I m sad i didn't get wrong when last year we warned them they moved to the wrong direction. Saddly, my fear have been justified. The faith is gone. 🙄

i hate to admit it but my faith has gone too. i've tried to be understanding and supportive to bulkhead right from the start but its not possible to feel anything but disappointed when you watch how badly bulkhead have handled the community since the EA release because sections of the community have rightly and wrongly criticized aspects of the game. bulkhead have just run away from everyone.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

i hate to admit it but my faith has gone too. i've tried to be understanding and supportive to bulkhead right from the start but its not possible to feel anything but disappointed when you watch how badly bulkhead have handled the community since the EA release because sections of the community have rightly and wrongly criticized aspects of the game. bulkhead have just run away from everyone.

I'm fed up with Bulkhead. Some Kickstart backers are still waiting for their rewards, casual players still have to wait for months and people who invested because they wanted to play a console version are completely screwed... Instead of hiring extra people to focus on the casual side, they waste their money on a 50.000 euro lan. It's a disgrace. 

• Upvote 1

Surprisingly as i type there are 578 playing but i guess its to see if its any better, tomorrow may be a different story......

No idea why they push lans? if there are no casual gamers playing the game they certainly are not going to bother watching it so whats the point unless there are some underlying deals we don't know about.

1 hour ago, Excel said:

Surprisingly as i type there are 578 playing but i guess its to see if its any better, tomorrow may be a different story......

No idea why they push lans? if there are no casual gamers playing the game they certainly are not going to bother watching it so whats the point unless there are some underlying deals we don't know about.

Yes, it's normal. Always happens after an update. What I really want to know is what the playerbase will be like in a week, a month and even a year from now. Will they regain the trust from the customer or will Battalion fail? 

I don't think they care about casuals (yet).The lans are just a way to keep the competitive scene happy. 

Edited by Grasshopper

The update is a huge step in the right direction. The game is performing very stable, the gameplay feels a lot smoother and fluid, maps received some good overhauls. All in all, a great job done there, in my opinion. Finally, it's become a game I can happily play on a regular basis without serious crashes or getting frustrated.

The casual side will receive attention with MU3. Therefore I guess, it is not the right time to push casuals back into the game yet.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, RLpacifist said:

The update is a huge step in the right direction. The game is performing very stable, the gameplay feels a lot smoother and fluid, maps received some good overhauls. All in all, a great job done there, in my opinion. Finally, it's become a game I can happily play on a regular basis without serious crashes or getting frustrated.

The casual side will receive attention with MU3. Therefore I guess, it is not the right time to push casuals back into the game yet.

don't  you feel casuals should have been the devs first concern ? i do because without that player base the game sort of dies a bit

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, RLpacifist said:

that's all good to hear. hopefully, my loss of faith will be short-lived.

14 hours ago, Sneak1961 said:

don't  you feel casuals should have been the devs first concern ?

Well, I'm not sure about that. Not anymore, that is.

Picture this, you want to build a competitive shooter and you are to gather input on gameplay and balance issues. The motivation for casual players to deal with bugs/crashes and whatnot most likely is way lower, if at all existing, than from the more invested, that is competitive players, to begin with. Even if that wasn't the case, all the casuals on earth won't be able to provide the feedback you need in order to tweak things fitting for competitive play, because they simply play the game in quite a different way on quite a different level of skill. Afer all, the game is still under development and we're about 6 months from release and the marketing campaign to kick off. Therefore, focusing on the competitive die-hards now, when it comes to set the very foundations for gameplay, doesn't sound all too wrong in my ears.

Mind you, this game isn't exactly reaching out for those walk-by players, who just want to blow away an hour or two every once in a while. Those are most likely bound to COD anyway and the kind of features those players ask for is exactly what has been killing fps games and ultimately lead to what COD has become today.

6 hours ago, Farq-S said:

hopefully, my loss of faith will be short-lived.

Hope so, too!

Edited by RLpacifist
  • Upvote 2

23 hours ago, RLpacifist said:

Picture this, you want to build a competitive shooter and you are to gather input on gameplay and balance issues. The motivation for casual players to deal with bugs/crashes and whatnot most likely is way lower, if at all existing, than from the more invested, that is competitive players, to begin with. Even if that wasn't the case, all the casuals on earth won't be able to provide the feedback you need in order to tweak things fitting for competitive play, because they simply play the game in quite a different way on quite a different level of skill. Afer all, the game is still under development and we're about 6 months from release and the marketing campaign to kick off. Therefore, focusing on the competitive die-hards now, when it comes to set the very foundations for gameplay, doesn't sound all too wrong in my ears.

Mind you, this game isn't exactly reaching out for those walk-by players, who just want to blow away an hour or two every once in a while. Those are most likely bound to COD anyway and the kind of features those players ask for is exactly what has been killing fps games and ultimately lead to what COD has become today.

explaining it that way actually makes perfect sense.

but, if the plan was in fact that simple why didn't bulkhead just communicate this? it would have gone some way to reducing the gathering negativity surrounding this game. my guess is bulkhead were simply overwhelmed by all the issues on EA release and then were paralysed by both the various development limitations to resolve all the issues and the overall negative feedback on the gameplay which they responded to by retreating from the community which had become toxic to a degree but when they stopped listening to everyone except the "pros" and alienated virtually everyone else.

games get only one chance to make a first impression. recent examples being lawbreakers, sea of thieves and state of decay. most players write-off the game and never come back even if the devs eventually fix everything.

• Upvote 1

Bulkhead seem to have segregated the community into two parts, "the pros" and "the casual gamer".

Through past experiences it is never a good idea trying to make two of the same thing from the start, driving a wedge between players so speak when all everyone wants to do is play a game.

I still have no clue why Bulkhead focus on Esports before creating a player base for the game first and when all said and done it was the Backers, Kickstarters and finally the EA purchases which enabled Bulkhead to have the funds to work on this game only for those same people to be put on the back burner but with that said MU2 is a huge improvement and its where the game should have been 3 months ago perhaps.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 12:15 AM, RLpacifist said:

wow I tried it for first time tnight, jumped in checked settings ofc they all screwed up, so spent 20mins reconfig, dived into unranked internet server and within mins game had crashed to point of resetting pc.....

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 5:25 PM, RLpacifist said:

Hope so, too!

i'm a firm believer in the infinite monkeys theory.

100 casuals will break a game like no pro ever could and,,,, if every pro bought 100 copies of the game still wouldn't earn them enough to achieve mu3 as quick as 1 in a thousand casuals buying a copy.

They seem to be betting on the theory that the pros will via publicity make this game a success, I have a feeling that the only people who are likely to be influenced by those "pros" will not have enough left over from their pocket money to buy a copy.

18 hours ago, maddog-b said:

100 casuals will break a game like no pro ever could

I fully agree with you on this actually. When it comes to bug-hunting, then the more the better, regardless skill level.

However, I was talking about gameplay and balance, which isn't a matter of breaking the game but mastering it to its highest levels possible and getting the full range, including the meta of a game, which more often than not is an unknown part to people playing casually exclusively. From my experience, as long as someone plays on a rather mediocre and lower level of skill, just to have fun really, they won't ever push things to the edge and get to a point where those tiny bits start making a difference. I have been playing a game for years mostly casually, doing about OK in pubs, but eventually started to take things more seriously. Today there's a lot of gameplay features I have quite a different opinion about and there are important aspects I haven't even spent a single thought on back then.

Anyway, I'm not saying its all nice and sunshine. I'm also somewhat worried whether or not Bulkhead will manage to recover from that disastrous first impression. I also wonder if it really needs LANs at this stage. However, as I personally have nothing to lose, I chose to look at things a little more optimistic and finally, with MU2 being launched, enjoying the game for what it is.

Time will tell. Why brood on unlaid eggs? ;)

Edited by RLpacifist

rifles still way too OP, feels like you got lead in your boots when you move but you can jump higher than a frog and still shoot with lazor accuracy with a rifle, this game sucks in a different way now and as not improved the game play as in the  "fun aspect" ..infact i would say its frustrating and annoying to play  after the update

just my opinion of course .....oh and the two other guys that played it with me

• Upvote 2

Just had first game since trying it on very first Alpha. 

Games looking alot better and def alot smoother. So thats apositive.

That said - in the few games me and a few others played (read "got owned badly") it seems like the games slowly morphing into a bad copy of the new CODs?

First of all nearly everyone was bunnying everywhere (although they tried to say it was "strafe jumping" - bunnying is bunnying) and on S&D its just a straight forward run fest - whats happened to the tactical feel and palystyle of the game - has this died? it just feels like run and gun and bouncing everywhere.

True we may have just had a bad few games (experience - dont care about being owned :-) ) but at this point in time games feels like a weak clone of games already on market. We were really looking forward to the type of game they spoke about on kickstarter - tactical feel, back to roots like UO etc and I just dont feel that the game is there.

Shame. Still happy to wait and see but at the moment it looks like BF5 may trump this. maybe.

• Upvote 1

On 8/5/2018 at 10:15 PM, Martyb{><}TA said:

Just had first game since trying it on very first Alpha. 

Games looking alot better and def alot smoother. So thats apositive.

That said - in the few games me and a few others played (read "got owned badly") it seems like the games slowly morphing into a bad copy of the new CODs?

First of all nearly everyone was bunnying everywhere (although they tried to say it was "strafe jumping" - bunnying is bunnying) and on S&D its just a straight forward run fest - whats happened to the tactical feel and palystyle of the game - has this died? it just feels like run and gun and bouncing everywhere.

True we may have just had a bad few games (experience - dont care about being owned :-) ) but at this point in time games feels like a weak clone of games already on market. We were really looking forward to the type of game they spoke about on kickstarter - tactical feel, back to roots like UO etc and I just dont feel that the game is there.

Shame. Still happy to wait and see but at the moment it looks like BF5 may trump this. maybe.

Thought the fleas were supposed to have been calmed down since the last patch (not had a chance to play much lately so not tried it since update) Pity: 🙁

I guess someone will be along soon to point out the "I wish people would stop calling it bunny hopping its strafe.....blah blah blah the difference is HUGE..... drone drone drone it takes immense skill to jab a button non stop......ZzzZZzzz.

Then of course someone else will come along and say its not a problem and its MEGA MEGA MEGA easy to kill the fleas you simply need to use simple trigonometry algorithms to deduce angle to the power of bounce allowing for wind direction etc etc or they might just say "Git Gud as all the trendy kids say now.

• Like 3