Sign in to follow this  
Seps

Veteran PC COD player giving my thoughts

Hi Everyone,

I imagine this is the same story repeated already but, this is the first game I've backed via a kick-starter, I'm really impressed with the way the devs and designers came across in the teaser trailer and I've been waiting for a game like this for years, hopefully they deliver on their promises!

Now here's my 2 cents worth, or should I say 2 pence worth (from UK :D)

I've played cod since cod 1, a crazy long time ago now. My favourite is still COD2. I dread to think how many hours I sank into that game and still do but its hard to find decent servers these days! the last good cod game for me was COD4, it took off massively on the consoles, DLC came into play and the PC versions where never the same again. The competitive scene was a no go for many due to no dedi servers and lack of mod tools.

Now I didn't just play public games. I was in a clan like many and made lots of friends and played a lot of fun wars or scrims as we called them. I remember the days of jumping on IRC or spamming people on xfire if they fancied a 5v5 CTF war. Our clan was called Cobblers, i'll be amazed if any of our old friends recognize me/us :)

We were also active in competitive ladders, clanbase being the big one, can people remember the big CTF clans, H2k, BRBR, team.DFS to name but a few! those dam dutchies are good gamers!

I'm hoping the competitive scene for this game takes off like the games before it have. I didn't play moh competitively but that scene was active for years on clanbase

Now for the game itself, I only have one concern and that is Spawns.

Spawns are very important when playing gametypes such as TDM and CTF. People are going to hate me for saying this but in competitive gaming you need to be able to control the spawns, to a certain degree it is spawn raping. The top CTF clans in COD2 would be able to force the opposing team into a certain spawn and contain them there while they ran the flag back and forth. If you cant get out of your spawn then the other team is doing an amazing job at controlling the game. When 5 players clicked and had the other team pinned in it was a great feeling. Toujane was great for this, as was Dawnville and Burgundy ahhh classic classic maps :)

People saying give spawn protection dont understand the basics of how to win at TDM or CTF.

Lean - why are people moaning about this lean, imo it needs to be in? the game is to be based on shooters that all have this feature in, I fear that the most vocal people are maybe the younger crowd who didn't play these older games at their peak.

crouch/prone - again needs to be in. People worried about campers. Camping in a game like this with no perks and abilities and smaller compact maps will not be an issue.

edit.

I forgot to mention another thing that people dont seem to like, "bunny hopping". I must admit I'm one of these guys. I will do anything to avoid you killing me, jump crouch prone jump again. I dont see why you should expect somebody to stand still so you can shoot at them?

I meant the old clan name dogster ;) Seps is right tho. Capture and suppress the spawns and we all get that ticket home! :D

SPAWNS ARE IMPORTANT BULKHEAD DO YOU COPY ????

Spawns are very important when playing gametypes such as TDM and CTF.

This. So much this. A very neglected topic these days. In my mind COD1 had the perfect system. With enough training and map awareness you could easily force the other team in to, essentially, a spawn rape. The only way out was to actually fight you're way out. If you managed to do so, chances were you would be able to get the other team in the same position and often turn the game completely.

But I realise that this was also one of the main reasons these modes we're quite unpopular compared to SD since those who were not able to execute it we're just flat out destroyed...

:arrow: SPAWNS. I think this is one of the things we should all focus on quite a bit in the Alpha and Beta!

It's one of the most important things in the game. Bad spawns can make the game feels so unfair and if they are too random you can't get a good area control going etc etc... I think there needs to be a big focus :!:

I'm glad other people share my views on this and completely agree with both previous posts.

I'm a big CTF player, I find S&D to be too slow pace wise, plus I spent most of my time dead watching other people when playing S&D lol

The devs have a good pedigree of games behind them so i have faith in them to make it balanced and fun.

Well well... whattayaknow... it's my good old friend Sepsy! Man i lost track of you ever since i left COD2. How have ya been mate? Cobblers still active? I already made a post looking for ex COD2 players to find out where they went. viewtopic.php?f=22&t=604

Had great fun with most of you guys scrimming till the morning light at peak times in COD2. Especially the interclan scrims and hearing you scream out loud through Teamspeak ^^

h2k, BRBR, team.DSF but also Stheno, 156Acoy and High fidelity were some great CTF clans to play with / against. At my peak, i got invited to play the open cup for Stheno as their sniper since i kinda loved quick scoping back then hehe.

After COD2 i rallied some high COD2 players and formed a clan called Progressive Movement (Promo|) to join the TDM, DOM and KOTH ladders. Within 3 months we were nr1 on all of them. Found an old screenshot of it too ^^

http://s23.photobucket.com/user/PasMaNN ... 1.jpg.html

I agree with everything you say about spawn protection / leaning / bunny hopping etc etc. All of those features are just must haves for skill based shooters and really force you to go to the max and do anything to outclass the other. Then again, you mastered them all and truly are a COD veteran. I really wish they will give back those features and bring us back to those good old times.

Anyways, good to see you here mate. You in for the closed béta? Still, it is a long way after hearing closed alpha won't be released before may 2017! Perhaps see you at Days of War as a placeholder? Be sure to to check out the thread about Discord and meet there.

Greetz,

y!N / y!NPowah / hmnZ / and all the other nicks i used :)

p.s.

in the meantime you could download this game called Heroes And Generals just to loosen up again since you must have gotten rusty by now. It's not the greatest game out there but it's F2P and good enough for killing time. Once you tried, pm me and i'll invite you to TS.

Haha what's the chances of that eh!

There are loads of clans I just couldn't remember the names off when I made my first post. So apologies to all. There was a clan that began with a p who were the dogs bollocks at cod2 ctf wish I could remember their name

I remember 156 played against them from cod2 right through to blops1. Great guys

Cobblers pretty much died along with the cod series. A few of us still gane together from time to time but nothing like the old days of constant scrims every night. It doesn't help that xfire has gone as most of my cod contacts where on there.

Are you on steam, if so pm me your details please

On 27/02/2016 at 5:29 PM, Seps said:

the last good cod game for me was COD4, it took off massively on the consoles, DLC came into play and the PC versions where never the same again.

Yep once consoles took the mantle the standards we were used too went down hill.

On 27/02/2016 at 5:29 PM, Seps said:

Lean - why are people moaning about this lean, imo it needs to be in? the game is to be based on shooters that all have this feature in, I fear that the most vocal people are maybe the younger crowd who didn't play these older games at their peak.

I agree lean is another basic element that has been taken away from recent fps games  to appease the younger crowd who have just broken away from there xbox/playstation

On 2/27/2016 at 5:29 PM, Seps said:

Hi Everyone,

I imagine this is the same story repeated already but, this is the first game I've backed via a kick-starter, I'm really impressed with the way the devs and designers came across in the teaser trailer and I've been waiting for a game like this for years, hopefully they deliver on their promises!

Now here's my 2 cents worth, or should I say 2 pence worth (from UK :D)

I've played cod since cod 1, a crazy long time ago now. My favourite is still COD2. I dread to think how many hours I sank into that game and still do but its hard to find decent servers these days! the last good cod game for me was COD4, it took off massively on the consoles, DLC came into play and the PC versions where never the same again. The competitive scene was a no go for many due to no dedi servers and lack of mod tools.

Now I didn't just play public games. I was in a clan like many and made lots of friends and played a lot of fun wars or scrims as we called them. I remember the days of jumping on IRC or spamming people on xfire if they fancied a 5v5 CTF war. Our clan was called Cobblers, i'll be amazed if any of our old friends recognize me/us :)

We were also active in competitive ladders, clanbase being the big one, can people remember the big CTF clans, H2k, BRBR, team.DFS to name but a few! those dam dutchies are good gamers!

I'm hoping the competitive scene for this game takes off like the games before it have. I didn't play moh competitively but that scene was active for years on clanbase

Now for the game itself, I only have one concern and that is Spawns.

Spawns are very important when playing gametypes such as TDM and CTF. People are going to hate me for saying this but in competitive gaming you need to be able to control the spawns, to a certain degree it is spawn raping. The top CTF clans in COD2 would be able to force the opposing team into a certain spawn and contain them there while they ran the flag back and forth. If you cant get out of your spawn then the other team is doing an amazing job at controlling the game. When 5 players clicked and had the other team pinned in it was a great feeling. Toujane was great for this, as was Dawnville and Burgundy ahhh classic classic maps :)

People saying give spawn protection dont understand the basics of how to win at TDM or CTF.

crouch/prone - again needs to be in. People worried about campers. Camping in a game like this with no perks and abilities and smaller compact maps will not be an issue.

edit.

I forgot to mention another thing that people dont seem to like, "bunny hopping". I must admit I'm one of these guys. I will do anything to avoid you killing me, jump crouch prone jump again. I dont see why you should expect somebody to stand still so you can shoot at them?

True competitive is 5 v 5 SD not CTF or DOM therefore spawns are irrelevant. 

There was a massive scene in COD/UO/COD 2 (especially in the US) for CTF, and although there was some overlap with players from S&D, it was almost like a second community. In essence doubling the numbers of active players in the competitive / ladder community.

Although I agree that at the 'top of the scene,' in terms of competitive play and LAN competitions etc, it'll be S&D staying true to form.