Sign in to follow this  
waxzR

Basic Strafe Jump Tutorial

I watched some of the tuts out there and despite being a good jumper in promod, I wasn't able to get past 6.6m. After some time I discovered that holding sprint in mid-air significantly increased my jumping range (for some reason), none of the videos I saw mentioned this, so I made a short and very simple video that demonstrates the easiest way to cross the 6.7m gap. Also don't forget to crouch!

This "easy" strafe works, but it isn't looking good, if you want a smooth looking strafe try adding a circular motion to the jump!

Edited by waxzR
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

And unfortunately this video tutorial demonstrates exactly why there is a problem with the jumping capability in the game that is becoming so off putting to so many. 

At a standing, or walking pace of this video, and especially carrying a weapon in both hands it's impossible anyone could make a 6.7m jump.  The maximum athletic long jump record is just under 9m.  But a standing jump is 3.73m. 

I know it's a game, so there can be some licence in movement.  It's not supposed to be a realism, and thus has some "arcade" environment.  But Battalion 1944 has a conventional setting.  It's not a futuristic sci-fi fps in a low gravity environment.  We have weapons with basic sights and such like.  Character movement needs to appear to have some semblance of what your brain is telling you to expect otherwise there will never be real anticipation and skill from opponents, except from those who are capable of separating fact from fiction.

28 minutes ago, Kannon Fodda said:

And unfortunately this video tutorial demonstrates exactly why there is a problem with the jumping capability in the game that is becoming so off putting to so many. 

At a standing, or walking pace of this video, and especially carrying a weapon in both hands it's impossible anyone could make a 6.7m jump.  The maximum athletic long jump record is just under 9m.  But a standing jump is 3.73m. 

I know it's a game, so there can be some licence in movement.  It's not supposed to be a realism, and thus has some "arcade" environment.  But Battalion 1944 has a conventional setting.  It's not a futuristic sci-fi fps in a low gravity environment.  We have weapons with basic sights and such like.  Character movement needs to appear to have some semblance of what your brain is telling you to expect otherwise there will never be real anticipation and skill from opponents, except from those who are capable of separating fact from fiction.

Completely disagree, it worked fine for other games. The movement doesn't need to fit the environment imo. It just has to fit the gameplay.. and it does. If they improve corner leaning and the lag comp problem time this game is going to be fine. Some people just aren't used to a faster gameplay, it's a part of this game though

• Upvote 1