Sign in to follow this  
Grasshopper

How can Bulkhead Interactive change the momentum?

I want to start off by saying I'm fully aware that the game is in EA, but the harsh reality is that the playerbase has been declining since launch. Joe Brammer said yesterday that 'the game has still a year of development to go' in a topic called 'the game is dead'(or something similar). Although that's true, you can already tell people are running out of patience by reading the Steam reviews, ingame comments and comments made on other social media. And obviously by looking at the number of people playing this game. In my opinion it's easier to gain players than to convince players to return to a game they didn't like a year ago. 

I've seen people say that this game doesn't need casuals, because it's aimed at competitive players. And wants to become an eSports game. But to become a serious eSports title I'm convinced it needs the casual playerbase and an audience to be interesting enough for companies to invest their money in and for Bulkhead Interactive to make money. 

My question is; how can Bulkhead Interactive change the momentum? How can they make this game a success after the rough start? 

(I don't have the solution, but I hope this game will succeed. I enjoy playing it from time to time as a casual.) 

Edited by Grasshopper
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

I've seen people say that this game doesn't need casuals, because it's aimed at competitive players. And wants to become an eSports game. But to become a serious eSports title I'm convinced it needs the casual playerbase and an audience to be interesting enough for companies to invest their money in and for Bulkhead Interactive to make money.

This.

I m also convinced since the begining (and always defended this point of view) that without casual players the game wont succeed as it should and pushing it too much in "competitive" side (at the start) is a mistake. There are more casual players than competitive players. (like football, there is a lot of players but how much players are pro ?)
Even if PUBG is an anomaly (as said joe), if i m right, it wasn't made for competitive at the begining. The success of the game pushed them naturaly on competitive scene. :ph34r:

15 minutes ago, Xtreem said:

Lan’s with prizemoney, known orgs picking up teams and an active community.

IMHO you are seeing it with competitive players eyes.
Casual players are players playing the game few hours by days with friends on servers or as soloQ withtout looking for to participate to lan or events, but only to enjoy to play video game and have fun.

You cant make a blockbuster game without casual players. Casual players are often the bulk of the players. 

I started with a group of 22 casual friends. Our goal was to play on our own server. But after millions of server crashes, only 5 remained. I eventually had to close my group. Now I'm playing the game solo.

Edited by Firefly

3 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Even if PUBG is an anomaly (as said joe), if i m right, it wasn't made for competitive at the begining. The success of the game pushed them naturaly on competitive scene. :ph34r:

I think despite PUBG being a very popular game, its competitive scene was still heavily pushed by the devs and not by the community, nowadays every publisher wants his game to be an esports, since they know it brings money and attention. Of course all the orgs and teams jumped in because the game is very popular

2 minutes ago, Firefly said:

You cant make a blockbuster game without casual players. Casual players are often the bulk of the players. 

I started with a group of 22 casual friends. Our goal was to play on our own server. But after millions of server crashes, only 5 remained. I eventually had to close my group. Now I'm playing the game solo.

Let's hope this patch will improve server performance and stability then

Yea first of all stability will be key. Yesterday i played like 3 games and after the first game the loading screen was bugged every other game and we had to leave the game. We had chosen to restart but some might quit after issues like this.

Also i think a lot of people have second thoughts atm or are not sure. For bulkhead it's important that these people choose for the game in the end. So big decisions from now on will decide who likes the game and who doesn't.

I think the jumpshots for example is a big decision for example as a lot of people are fighting about it if it should stay or not. Let's hope bulkhead makes the right choises, at this stage im not really sure if i like the jumpshots or don't like it long term.

Looking at cod 1 and cod 2 for me was cod 1 the best game by far. Seems there are more people who would like to see some more cod 1 influences but ye it's not like i don't like this gameplay. Just hoping it will become better and better and hope that i can keep my interest towards this game.

Edited by sNrklhaai

2 hours ago, Soldat Ryan said:

This.

I m also convinced since the begining (and always defended this point of view) that without casual players the game wont succeed as it should and pushing it too much in "competitive" side (at the start) is a mistake. There are more casual players than competitive players. (like football, there is a lot of players but how much players are pro ?)

IMHO you are seeing it with competitive players eyes.
Casual players are players playing the game few hours by days with friends on servers or as soloQ withtout looking for to participate to lan or events, but only to enjoy to play video game and have fun.

True true, I just said something without thinking about the whole picture :D

i think Bulkhead were right to push the competitive aspect of this game but only up to a point.

however, for a new game to succeed it needs a critical mass. that critical mass can only be achieved with a healthy casual player base with a hardcore at its centre. Battalion is working backwards by gaining an instant hardcore player base with the wartide game mode but neglecting the arcade mode with server instability, wonky matchmaking, game modes shoehorned onto maps that weren't designed for casual play, bad spawns and the lowest time to kill i've seen since hacked MW2 lobbies.

the hardcore player base will tough it out until issues are resolved but the casual player base won't hang around for very long only for the privilege of being repeatedly raped by strafe jumping snipers.

I'm not saying this with the benefit of hindsight. i said this 18 months ago when the competitive emphasis of this game was emerging. and i wasn't the only one either. many, many people said the same thing so Bulkhead are fully aware of the risks they're taking with pushing the competitive angle. and to be perfectly honest, i get a lot of enjoyment watching the tournaments dust mouret and vince have been casting because the gameplay is fun to watch. but at the same time, i can see that the sweaty tryhard gameplay with crazy one shot quick scoping is exactly the type of thing that would put casual players off buying the game in favour of just watching.

for an esport game to succeed the audience have to be able to see themselves playing the game which in turn allows them to better relate to and appreciate the competitive scene.

with the benefit of hindsight there should have been longer and bigger betas to identify the network instability and matchmaking issues.

for what is probably a number of reasons Bulkhead totally miscalculated demand and put too much faith in the casual players that, by their very nature, have not invested themselves in the game or Bulkhead.

Bulkhead now have to reach a single goal. make the game playable for more people. firstly in regards to network stability then in regards to aspects of the gameplay. once that's done they can deal with everything else.

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

i think Bulkhead were right to push the competitive aspect of this game but only up to a point.

however, for a new game to succeed it needs a critical mass. that critical mass can only be achieved with a healthy casual player base with a hardcore at its centre. Battalion is working backwards by gaining an instant hardcore player base with the wartide game mode but neglecting the arcade mode with server instability, wonky matchmaking, game modes shoehorned onto maps that weren't designed for casual play, bad spawns and the lowest time to kill i've seen since hacked MW2 lobbies.

the hardcore player base will tough it out until issues are resolved but the casual player base won't hang around for very long only for the privilege of being repeatedly raped by strafe jumping snipers.

I'm not saying this with the benefit of hindsight. i said this 18 months ago when the competitive emphasis of this game was emerging. and i wasn't the only one either. many, many people said the same thing so Bulkhead are fully aware of the risks they're taking with pushing the competitive angle. and to be perfectly honest, i get a lot of enjoyment watching the tournaments dust mouret and vince have been casting because the gameplay is fun to watch. but at the same time, i can see that the sweaty tryhard gameplay with crazy one shot quick scoping is exactly the type of thing that would put casual players off buying the game in favour of just watching.

for an esport game to succeed the audience have to be able to see themselves playing the game which in turn allows them to better relate to and appreciate the competitive scene.

with the benefit of hindsight there should have been longer and bigger betas to identify the network instability and matchmaking issues.

for what is probably a number of reasons Bulkhead totally miscalculated demand and put too much faith in the casual players that, by their very nature, have not invested themselves in the game or Bulkhead.

Bulkhead now have to reach a single goal. make the game playable for more people. firstly in regards to network stability then in regards to aspects of the gameplay. once that's done they can deal with everything else.

You're absolutely right on this.

Having competition as your ultimate goal is good! In fact, it can attract alot of people. However.... for everything to lift off and to remain in the air, you need a big casual playerbase. Even if you look at only the competitive players...many of them still wanna do casual from time to time. 

And to add something to this....

As we know, the game is going to have clan wars. For that, we need clans. However, most clans in a game are created by people befriending each other in the game and teaming up. Only a small percentage of the clans come from outside the game. And what do you need in the game to allow the formation of clans? You guessed it.... good casual properties. That's where people really meet each other. 

There are also a few things that can be solved by players like you and me... however, it requires a specific set of skills...

If I had any idea on how to mod and map, I'd create such a map and such a gamemode, that casual players would fall in love with it. I'd go on to advertise it everywhere I could. I have big ideas...

13 minutes ago, Firefly said:

You're absolutely right on this.

Having competition as your ultimate goal is good! In fact, it can attract alot of people. However.... for everything to lift off and to remain in the air, you need a big casual playerbase. Even if you look at only the competitive players...many of them still wanna do casual from time to time. 

And to add something to this....

As we know, the game is going to have clan wars. For that, we need clans. However, most clans in a game are created by people befriending each other in the game and teaming up. Only a small percentage of the clans come from outside the game. And what do you need in the game to allow the formation of clans? You guessed it.... good casual properties. That's where people really meet each other. 

There are also a few things that can be solved by players like you and me... however, it requires a specific set of skills...

If I had any idea on how to mod and map, I'd create such a map and such a gamemode, that casual players would fall in love with it. I'd go on to advertise it everywhere I could. I have big ideas...

Post your mod idea in the modding section of the forum and if someone else likes it i'm sure someone could help you make it or make it themselves.

This thread should be pinned. It's nice that one game gathered competitive leftovers from COD2/COD4 scene and bringed back some old players but that's it. I doubt any casual player can withstand difficulties that Battalion delivers. You can't make a proper esport game with playerbase that counts 2500 people. Seriously it's like 2017 COD2 and COD4 scenes combined. Make this game easy for newcomers, fix all frustrating bugs we have reported and launch free weekend one time a month. I can't see a better solution atm. Since few days everytime I join unranked I see familiar nicknames...

Edited by craven.

Some good points were raised here. I’ll list a few that I feel are crucial currently: 

- server stabilty and performance 

- netcode

- arcade mode should not be neglected but instead improved a lot

- just generally making the game more stable and playable before anything else. 

- lean peeking

- weapon balance etc

• Upvote 1

FFA is broken in this game, even basic things like team names are broken on the selection screen.

I setup a server for FFA with scopes off, within 20 mins my full server had crashed and no one returns! Casual players like a game or two of Deathmatch, it is the easiest gametype for a n00b to jump in and have fun by themselves. If you piss these casuals off, they won't even think about competitive play if you can't get Deathmatch right!

ReadyUp Bug remains in FFA, telling players to hit F1 when the game is already started.

Deathmatch, should have been theeee first gametype you got right and 100% sorted so strangers/casuals can play with each other, followed by TDM, then the more skill based team gametypes.

Why are we getting Comp fixes forced at us when basic things need to be sorted?

tbh, at this point they could start delivering on their product. Only the competitive players remain now, and most of them are quitting too.