Sign in to follow this  
vozER

Gameplay and gun balance suggestions

Hello Battalion 1944 Community! 

I'm vozER, a 28-year-old enthusiastic gamer/streamer from Finland. As some of you may know, I've been playing CoD1/2/4 competitively for around 15~ years or so. I'd like to give my point of view about the current gameplay and gun balance.

I've been playing Battalion 1944 non-stop since Early Access was released. There are a few things that in my opinion could make the gameplay feel a little better though.

I'm really loving the game and I have tons of fun playing it! Keep up the good work @[DEV] BRAMMERTRON @[DEV] KingHoward @[CM] BigTuna @[CM] phantasy and all the other developers! 

1. Movement Speed
Movement speed generally feels quite good, but in my opinion it's still just a little too fast. For example: sprint + jump seems a little overpowered at the moment. There seems to be almost no time to react when an enemy sprint + jumps you behind a corner - even if you're equipped with a shotgun. Especially while SMG's feel like 2-shot kills atm, I think this combination is a little too much. Also, while the movement speed is so fast, it's quite hard to one-shot with Spray-weapons. Why try to one-shot kill when you're gonna kill the enemy so much faster by spraying - no matter the distance.

I would lower the movement speed 3% - 5%. 

2. 1-shot Headshots

Generally, I feel like this game needs more opportunities to try to get "1-shot" -kills. It's a little riskier trying to one-shot, but it may pay off the shooter since it still may have some bullets in the magazine. It also adds more diversity on how to play with the guns. Are you going for a a one-tap or are you gonna spray? As a bonus, we could see some nice one-tap kills. 

3. Gun Balance I.
Heavy Weapons (BAR & MP44)

Rifles should be effective in mid-long (especially long-range) range battles, Heavy Weapons should be effective in mid-long (especially mid-range)ranges and SMG's should be effective in close-range situations. The recent buffs surely did help using these guns, but something still feels a little off. Many times I still feel like the enemy should have been dead already while spraying with these guns. Right now I have really mixed feelings with Heavy Weapons. I think they should be a little more effective on long range battles though.

I would buff BAR & MP44 with more damage (10-20%).
I would nerf the fire rate a little (5-10%).
I would nerf the recoil (+5-10% added to recoil).

Not sure about the percents, but you'll get the idea.

I know this is a whole different game than CoD1 / CoD1:UO, but I would try to chase the recoil and damage of BAR/MP44 in these games (Thank you @Marrond for the awesome video link):

I'm not sure if the little 'curve' is necessary. I think it disturbs your visibility while firing with the weapon. I would remove the curve.
9975921022.jpg

As a second option, I would consider changing the BAR's ironsight to something similar to this:
1a21fecb25.jpg

3. Gun Balance II.
Submachine Guns (MP40 & Thompson)

Submachine Guns  feel a little too powerful in close range at the moment. Generally it feels like 2-3 bullets is enough to kill the enemy.
I would nerf the damage in close-range by 10-15% 

4. Hipfire
I think firing from the hip is a little too hard at the moment. The bullet spread is a little too high on most of the weapons (especially with Heavy Weapons). Generally it doesn't feel wise trying to hip-fire the enemy since you're gonna be in a disadvantage in most situations.

5. Weapon Switch / Weapon pickup
Switching between your primary and secondary weapon feels a little too slow/clunky at the moment. The same goes when picking up another weapon from the ground. This also occurs, when you're trying to "fake-plant" (quickly pressing F while planting) and getting your weapon ready to shoot again. 

You can pick up a weapon / pick up your old weapon to your hands too quickly at the moment. Right now you can just spam F and it will change the weapons in 0,01 second rate or something. This may be a problem when you're trying to pick up a weapon from the ground and accidentally pick your old weapon back (it may have 0 bullets for example) in to your hands in a shooting situation. This may become problematic, especially since the area to pick up another weapon is so short.

I would lower the time to switch to another weapon by 0.5 seconds.
I would add a cooldown while picking up another weapon (0,3~ seconds).

6. Item pickup area

Many times I've tried to switch to another weapon that's laying on the ground, but often find my arms to be too short or the "weapon pick-up indicator" never shows up.

I would extend the weapon pick up area/indicator.

Thank you for reading! Please don't hesitate sharing your thoughts!

-vozER

Edited by vozER
bar
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

I feel like you’re trending in the right direction. I’ve also competed in cod titles for 15 years and I have similar opinions. 

• Like 1

I agree with all of your point except number 4. I think hipfire with smg's should be a little inaccurate, otherwise ads would be unnecesarry and they would just be railguns. Or just increase the recoil a little bit on the smg's, they are just too easy to handle at the moment. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, SupreMe said:

I agree with all of your point except number 4. I think hipfire with smg's should be a little inaccurate, otherwise ads would be unnecesarry and they would just be railguns. Or just increase the recoil a little bit on the smg's, they are just too easy to handle at the moment. 

I did say "most of the weapons" but didn't specify that I mostly meant the SMG's. That being said, I agree with you. SMG's are definitely a little too strong at the moment and I don't want to see a buff for SMG's hipfire with the current weapon balance.

14 hours ago, vozER said:

I would lower the time to switch to another weapon by 0.5 seconds

I don’t know the current values of this nor have I done any testing so I could be wrong on this one. But my guess is that those timings are probably unique for each gun. The total “switch time” is composed of two timings, weapon drop speed (of the gun being put away) and the weapon pull out/draw speed (the new weapon being drawn). Anyway, whatever the factor is, the delay after any of the following actions before you can shoot is just too long it’s rage inducing: (sprint+jump, weapon switching, picking up a gun from the floor, fake planting & defusing etc) it’s like the animation is too long before you can shoot after doing any of those actions. Not sure if that’s intentional but it’s doing the game more harm than good imo. 

SMGs’ damage is kinda silly at pretty much all distances, 2hit kill range is too long, medium range damage is too high, and long range damage is severely low. This is not cod4, there’s no deagle for the SMG players here to give them such heavy nerf at max range, so it would be more sensible if they could land some respectable tags at range instead of shooting popcorn at people. 8-9 hit at max range would be a step closer to make it slightly useful to land an odd tag (perhaps to help finish people off, or scare them off with a prefire) but not a threat that could challenge at range. 

And with regards to hipfire I’m not so sure right now but last time I played Defaults and the M1Garand’s hipfire is a piece of piss I sometimes don’t feel the need to ADS at all. Not sure we want full auto’s like SMGs or Heavies to do that as even for the rifles it feels OP. 

I do agree the weapon pickup radius feels a bit small

my two cents bro, good suggestion with the BAR iron sights btw ;) 

Edited by j6k4
  • Like 1

I agree with the Heavy changes.

My proposed Weapon Balancing:

HEAVY
- Higher Damage (2-3 shot kill any range)
- Lower fire rate (Around the current BAR's fire rate)
- Same Recoil
- COD1 BAR ironsights are the best iteration of the BAR in COD, but the current BAR ironsights are fine

PATHFINDER
- Lower Damage (3 shot close range, same falloff damage)
- Same Fire Rate
- Add some sort of bounce recoil on Thompson (Like the MP40's recoil animation)

OPERATOR
- Remove that screen shake (COD2 did it best when "pumping" shotgun animation would come across the middle of screen)
- Slow down fire rate by ~7-10%. Shoots way too fast.
- Widen spread slightly (would buff close range for less tags, and nerf long range)

I'm an Pathfinder / Operator player..... SMG's are OP as fk and Shotguns are still awkward to use

Edited by sh0tyz
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 2

Some good points yes. Also:

I think poking around corners with scope is too slow atm. Takes to long to see the enemy.

Basically you are killed before actually looking around it.

Edited by sNrklhaai
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, sNrklhaai said:

Some good points yes. Also:

I think poking around corners with scope is too slow atm. Takes to long to see the enemy.

Basically you are killed before actually looking around it.

Lean is currently broken in this game. Peeking things slowly is not in your favor.

Bring back the old movement, fix lean and netcode, and fix the weapons and this game will be amazing !!1!1!1!1

• Upvote 3

I disagree 90% of what you said... as an ex cod4 pro mod player the game should never be slower! its perfectly balanced there! 

i agree with the damage on the heavies on long ranges

On 12/02/2018 at 8:34 AM, vozER said:

Movement speed generally feels quite good, but in my opinion it's still just a little too fast. For example: sprint + jump seems a little overpowered at the moment. There seems to be almost no time to react when an enemy sprint + jumps you behind a corner - even if you're equipped with a shotgun.

I think the problem isn’t the movement speed but the game’s netcode, desync, action delays etc, I wouldn’t make the movement slower, if anyhing the way movement feels, I think it could do with a bit of improvement in some aspects, like buffing the sprint duration for example. Or just something to make it feel better when running around the map. Make it more enjoyable as right now it isn’t fluid nor responsive enough to be “fun”. 

Edited by j6k4

1 hour ago, j6k4 said:

if anyhing the way movement feels, I think it could do with a bit of improvement in some aspects, like buffing the sprint duration for example. Or just something to make it feel better when running around the map.

I would really like them to at least increase the normal walk speed, it would make the transition between sprint just feel smoother.

I mostly agree with the heavy and pathfinder suggestions I would only add...

Heavy.

3 hits to kill at every range or the only time they take 4 if they are all in the feet and its really long range or something.

I was all for 1 shot headshots but I did like the idea where the Bar was and the STG44 wasn't.  Either works though.

I would like to see the recoil increase and then if the heavys are OP then they can decrease the rate of fire as decreasing the rate of fire may make them a little to under powered close range.

Pathfinder.

No more 2 hit kills without a headshot is good but I would also make the max number of bullets to kill should be 8.  Thirteen is just excessive, especially in a game that doesn't have a deagle.

If they do feel under powered after the nerf, a small rate of fire increase and ammo increase on the Thompson would probably be all they need.

Edited by ryaNNN