KunninLynguist

Dealing with Toxic Players - Recent Players List?

After a run in with a particularly toxic player this afternoon, it has impressed the importance of having a method of dealing with toxicity that expands on the in-match reporting feature.

Incident

I joined an arcade game of domination that was nearing completion and this child that was raging at everyone, throwing out slurs left, right and centre because he was losing.  I didn't really think much of it because after years of online gaming, pathetic behaviour like this is sadly the norm, and none of it appeared to be aimed at any one particular individual.  I didn't really realise at the time, but he attempted to vote-kick me as the map finished - I saw something flash up on the corner of my screen, but as the map was over, I exited the game and went for a cigarette.

Anyway, fast forward 10 minutes and I attempt to find another arcade game, only this time I join in the pre-match.  I'd been in the game less than a minute or two, without realising that I'd been paired with the previously mentioned child and suddenly I'm being vote-kicked for literally no reason. I've managed to track down his Steam profile and report it, but I cannot really see anything happening with that because it isn't account related... and well, let's be honest, Steam aren't really going to do anything unless his behaviour on Steam is affecting their bottom line.

Suggestion

Something akin to a Recent Players list where we can report toxic behaviour after the fact.

EDIT:  Happy to supply his Steam profile if anyone from Bulkhead wants to make note of it / look into it.

EDIT #2:  Judging by the stream of comments on his profile, this kid makes a habit of this behaviour across every game he plays.

Edited by KunninLynguist

39 minutes ago, KunninLynguist said:

After a run in with a particularly toxic player this afternoon, it has impressed the importance of having a method of dealing with toxicity that expands on the in-match reporting feature.

Incident

I joined an arcade game of domination that was nearing completion and this child that was raging at everyone, throwing out slurs left, right and centre because he was losing.  I didn't really think much of it because after years of online gaming, pathetic behaviour like this is sadly the norm, and none of it appeared to be aimed at any one particular individual.  I didn't really realise at the time, but he attempted to vote-kick me as the map finished - I saw something flash up on the corner of my screen, but as the map was over, I exited the game and went for a cigarette.

Anyway, fast forward 10 minutes and I attempt to find another arcade game, only this time I join in the pre-match.  I'd been in the game less than a minute or two, without realising that I'd been paired with the previously mentioned child and suddenly I'm being vote-kicked for literally no reason. I've managed to track down his Steam profile and report it, but I cannot really see anything happening with that because it isn't account related... and well, let's be honest, Steam aren't really going to do anything unless his behaviour on Steam is affecting their bottom line.

Suggestion

Something akin to a Recent Players list where we can report toxic behaviour after the fact.

EDIT:  Happy to supply his Steam profile if anyone from Bulkhead wants to make note of it / look into it.

EDIT #2:  Judging by the stream of comments on his profile, this kid makes a habit of this behaviour across every game he plays.

or just do a blacklist system to not play with him again :)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tuxip said:

Yeah, that'd be good or even implement the "Prefer this Player" / "Avoid This Player" feature that Overwatch has... just a shame OW's never seem to work!

I usually report all Players that insult me through the ingame report System.

Would be cool if we had an option to hide Chat tho.

Edited by Chelly
spelling

I always liked what Titanfall games did with these types. Put all the cheaters, aimbotters and toxic players restricted to certain servers of all of them. Never banned them, just put them all together to play against each other. Seemed like a good idea. 

4 minutes ago, Kingkat54 said:

I always liked what Titanfall games did with these types. Put all the cheaters, aimbotters and toxic players restricted to certain servers of all of them. Never banned them, just put them all together to play against each other. Seemed like a good idea. 

Yes, this makes me think of something a friend told me about DoTA2 (any dota2 players can confirm of deny the veracity of this). I believe that you give teammates a rating for how good or bad they were (as teammates, i.e. toxic or not) and after a lot of people giving you negative you would essentially start only getting matched with other players with similar ratings, so all the more or less pleasant non-toxic players rose up and played together, and all the shitheads sunk down. They have a similar system with karma on ESEA. The only problem is of course spiteful players will abuse these ratings so it would have to be a pretty long trend to take any action.

6 hours ago, Tuxip said:

Doesnt work as many games have proven in the past because many players will just abuse such a system in order to not get matched against better players or players they simply dont like anymore.