Sign in to follow this  
lsddd

Battalion 1944 - Re-design

Hello, so first of all I'd like to introduce myself. I'm lsd, an Art Director from Helsinki, Finland. I mainly work in advertising but like to hone my creative skills and thinking outside my profession.

I'm gonna be straight and honest, loving the game itself but disgusted by the UI and logo design the game has. I'm no means the world-class A designer to give the right and wrongs, so please save yourselves from commenting something like that.

Let me start from the logotype itself, I've seen too many copies of this style already, Battalion 1944, don't do this. Just compare this to PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUND, DayZ, WarZ, whatever survival game, you'll find the same art style on them. Also, yeah things might sometimes look the same but we all know this is the ''trend'' right now, let's not just do what everyone else does.

Then the UI, now I know it's an early access but still let's be honest, the UI doesn't have to feel like I'm playing a game from 2000.

I no means want to trash everything but to give my honest opinion. Here's what I've done: https://ibb.co/cu9VmH 
This link show's the images in a bad quality. I've also attached a higher resolution version in the attachments.

For the devs, I'm more than happy to share my document for free in the hopes to get credited and / or consult more in the future.

I hope to get nice open conversation around this.

Battalion1944_ReDesign.jpg

Edited by lsddd
  • Upvote 3

This looks pretty bland to me aswell. I preferred what that other guy made. It looked more modern and a bit like the menu's from csgo.

2 minutes ago, SupreMe said:

This looks pretty bland to me aswell. I preferred what that other guy made. It looked more modern and a bit like the menu's from csgo.

Thank you for the comment. Really appreciated. I totally get what you mean, I am not to change your opinion but like to state my views as an Art Director. As an Art Director, my goal is to capture the essential of the project, in this game we are talking about a 40's era war game, I need to hold on to that whilst trying to achieve a solid design. Here I've tried to keep a feeling to a 40's era war game and create a friendly user experience through a clean and minimalistic design, making it a bit more modern than what it is now.

I absolutely loved what 'Fuzy' did and adore is ability to create such a clean minimalistic design. However I am in conflict with the design and the context of the game.

In my eyes, the design is super clear and great, but it lacks an identity and link to Battalion 1944. It feels like a template to me, a template that could be used for example for Fortnite or a free-to-play game.

Besides the font in the server browser and main menu to the left none of them feel right.. especially the digital clock styled font for the ammunition and etc.

I know the logo looks familliar to others but by no means does it say it doesn't look good or even lacks identity. I wouldn't dare to suggest anyone from the devs even to change it since it is a very important symbol which I am sure alot of thought was going behind its creation and it has way more identity and meaning than what you credit it for.

Anyway the first thing that jumped to my mind when I saw your take at the logo was the wild west. I googled "wild west logo" and saw why it was the first thing that jumped into my mind since most of the logos had the first and last letters bigger than the rest.. I Don't see the connection to what the game represents and I think it was a poor attempt :/

I think it looks very cool what you have but I feel it would be best if the game had a similar version to what CSGO has, where it'll have esports related news, streams, etc on there.

If it wasn't for the fact that the game needs a more esports orientated menu, then this would be perfect (if it was a more casual game). Really good design though, I love it! :)

Edited by Jester

30 minutes ago, A1rstrike said:

Besides the font in the server browser and main menu to the left none of them feel right.. especially the digital clock styled font for the ammunition and etc.

I know the logo looks familliar to others but by no means does it say it doesn't look good or even lacks identity. I wouldn't dare to suggest anyone from the devs even to change it since it is a very important symbol which I am sure alot of thought was going behind its creation and it has way more identity and meaning than what you credit it for.

Anyway the first thing that jumped to my mind when I saw your take at the logo was the wild west. I googled "wild west logo" and saw why it was the first thing that jumped into my mind since most of the logos had the first and last letters bigger than the rest.. I Don't see the connection to what the game represents and I think it was a poor attempt :/

Hey man, thanks for the comment. I'd like to point out that the typeface is a 40's era styled font, not a digital clock. I understand that it can give you the feeling of it, was not my intention.

Personally I think their current logo looks bad, it's a matter of opinion. I'm just saying, comparing it to PUBG, WarZ, DayZ, etc survival games, they are too identical to each other, hence -> shift away from that.

As for the wild west, sure, anything can come to mind. The logotype itself has a hint towards 40's era. I'm sorry if you missed that. And thank you for your opinion.

Now this is just my interpretation and every even the hardest comment is much appreciated.

25 minutes ago, Jester said:

I think it looks very cool what you have but I feel it would be best if the game had a similar version to what CSGO has, where it'll have esports related news, streams, etc on there.

If it wasn't for the fact that the game needs a more esports orientated menu, then this would be perfect (if it was a more casual game). Really good design though, I love it! :)

Hey man, thanks for the appreciation. I totally had this in my mind but I wasn't sure if I would like to add that to this version since I didn't want to put too much of my personal time into this. After watching 'Fuzy's excellent UI I thought it would be essential. Maybe I will update this in the future, thank you for the comment though!