Sign in to follow this  
speed

Active players decreased by 50%

Hello

I haven't found any post about this, but isn't it worrysome that the number of active players has decreased by 50% since the release? I thought it would be the opposite. - http://steamcharts.com/app/489940

In my opinion, this is the most enjoyable game that has been released for a long time. Maybe the first release day wasn't very successful since alot of people had issues playing the game. However, the game are more stable now, and hot-fixes are pushed daily (great job by the devs!).

My personal opinion/ideas how to get more people into the community:

• Buy commercials spots (a lot of people are still not aware that B44 exists).
  • Get known streamers to play the game (atleast a week or two), even if it means by paying them. In my opnion, PUBG wouldn't grow as fast without the streaming community.
  • Make the game free to play for a while, should be on steam front-page (Owners still gain money by people purchasing loot boxes). Maybe copy the LoL/Dota2 concept? More players = more sold boxes.
  • Reach out to general gaming community pages. Make them write an article about the game. For example here in Sweden, fragbite.se/fragbite.com are pretty known by gamers, they mostly focus on CS, but write about other games as well.

Other thoughts:

• Rename the game to beta - Early access (since this is an early access right?). People will be more understanding that there are bugs.

I'm very interested to hear about your thoughts and ideas on to grow the community.

Edited by speed
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Being understanding of the early access doesn't automatically mean that you will actively play the game. 

Because of the rented server issues, me and some friends stopped playing actively. 

tbh straight after release everyoine dives on the new game it will go down before it goes back up... nothing to worry about i dont think

• Upvote 1

I think the most guys have stopped because of the bad jump and shoot.

Whoever reads the steam reviews will probably not buy it atm.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

8 minutes ago, C0deX said:

+1

12 minutes ago, C0deX said:

What's the problem there?

4 minutes ago, Zane said:

People are stupid

the majority of your customers will always be "stupid". Better be prepared for it. 

9 minutes ago, SpaceMonkey said:

What exactly are they complaining about? Accuracy while jumping?

Some are complaining about server issues and some about the jumpshots

• Upvote 3

Not really a huge surprise. The launch was a huge fail due to server issues. People got upset, wrote bad reviews on Steam. Detering other people from buying the game. Some people are tired of the bugs, quit the game and wait for a couple of months until it get's better. And obviously some people played it and didn't like it. 

I also thought about 'rage quitting(deleting)' this game. Yesterday I finally played a good match and all of the sudden I see the message 'fatal error'. I think it's very likely that the playerbase will get smaller and smaller until they fix all the issues. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Firefly said:

Being understanding of the early access doesn't automatically mean that you will actively play the game. 

Because of the rented server issues, me and some friends stopped playing actively. 

What problem do you have with your server? The only issue i had was setting admin-id within the config. That part should have been more well documented :) 

25 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Not really a huge surprise. The launch was a huge fail due to server issues. People got upset, wrote bad reviews on Steam. Detering other people from buying the game. Some people are tired of the bugs, quit the game and wait for a couple of months until it get's better. And obviously some people played it and didn't like it. 

I also thought about 'rage quitting(deleting)' this game. Yesterday I finally played a good match and all of the sudden I see the message 'fatal error'. I think it's very likely that the playerbase will get smaller and smaller until they fix all the issues. 

I agree regarding the launch, there should've been another closed beta to make sure mm/dedicated servers worked fine before publishing the game. All issues won't be fixed over a night, my game runs pretty stable now. I hope this fatal error part is just 1/100 games, to be honest i could live with  it in early access, if there was a reconnect function available. That is the main problem i would say.

35 minutes ago, iNKZ13 said:

People always have something to complain about. Just give it time and the players will come back.

I hope you are right :) 

1 hour ago, C0deX said:

I like the jump shoot mechanics, however I agree that the bad reviews are an issue :) 

Edited by speed
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, C0deX said:

+1 from me. That is why I don't play it anymore. Or ragequit after 5 minutes and ask myself why I started the game up in the first place.

• Upvote 1

Just now, BornFromPain said:

+1 from me. That is why I don't play it anymore. Or ragequit after 5 minutes and ask myself why I started the game up in the first place.

People will always jump shoot, this happened at every cod game or any game that has almost no recoil and straight shooting.

The only games it wont happen are games like CS:GO since your accurancy will drop insanely if you jump.

Its just a way to outplay your enemy, and after a while you will get used to it and you know how to counter it. Just out aim them. Even if they jump

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, speed said:

What problem do you have with your server? The only issue i had was setting admin-id within the config. That part should have been more well documented :) 

I agree regarding the launch, there should've been another closed beta to make sure mm/dedicated servers worked fine before publishing the game. All issues won't be fixed over a night, my game runs pretty stable now. I hope this fatal error part is just 1/100 games, to be honest i could live with  it in early access, if there was a reconnect function available. That is the main problem i would say.

I hope you are right :) 

I think the jump shoot mechanics, however I agree that the bad reviews are an issue :) 

This is my problem:

crash.png

When people play on my server, the memory goes up and up and up and up, and at some point, my server crashes. 

Sometimes it crashes when it reaches 80, sometimes 120. It's totally random. I've had situations in which my server crashed each 20 minutes. 

This is what the provider has to say about it:

"However, this actually seems to be part of a Dev issue that has already been raised to the devs.
This will hopefully be fixed in the next patch they do.
Once the patch is released, we'll update the servers with it."

5 minutes ago, Firefly said:

This is my problem:

crash.png

When people play on my server, the memory goes up and up and up and up, and at some point, my server crashes. 

Sometimes it crashes when it reaches 80, sometimes 120. It's totally random. I've had situations in which my server crashed each 20 minutes. 

This is what the provider has to say about it:

"However, this actually seems to be part of a Dev issue that has already been raised to the devs.
This will hopefully be fixed in the next patch they do.
Once the patch is released, we'll update the servers with it."

Wow, that's not good at all. Which host is this if I may ask? :) 

I choosed Multiplay since I read somewhere that B44 have a partnership/cooperation with them. I will have a look at the Server-CPU later tonight.

The numbers will steadily grow back up once the game is more playable and issues with MM, and rented servers have been minimised and so on, not to mention ingame balalnce, netcode, peeking, ttk etc...
some people are just waiting until those things improve, and will come back playing again. Naturally the game's reputation will start improving again after that shaky start. So basically if the game get's better the numbers will grow. It will just take take time to fix all those things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, speed said:

Wow, that's not good at all. Which host is this if I may ask? :) 

I choosed Multiplay since I read somewhere that B44 have a partnership/cooperation with them. I will have a look at the Server-CPU later tonight.

@Firefly Here's my CPU/memory screen:

image.png.3a043bec33cfd62c18b5efd32d7d80be.png

The three spikes are when i manually restarted the server after adding new admins to the server.

10 minutes ago, speed said:

@Firefly Here's my CPU/memory screen:

image.png.3a043bec33cfd62c18b5efd32d7d80be.png

The three spikes are when i manually restarted the server after adding new admins to the server.

Mine is multiplay too, as you probably noticed.

However, in your graph... 

were there any people playing on your server at that time? 

1 minute ago, Firefly said:

Mine is multiplay too, as you probably noticed.

However, in your graph... 

were there any people playing on your server at that time? 

Yes, we were between 3-4 people stable during yesterday evening.

Just now, speed said:

Yes, we were between 3-4 people stable during yesterday evening.

That's nothing. I paid money for a 24-player server and I tried running it with 10, 24 and 16 people. Memory still went up and caused a crash. 

I almost stopped playing immediately but gave the game a few more tries and especially after the patch, I'm really into it now.

I've several steam friends who were all big Day of Defeat fans and I think will be keen to jump into it.

It's important to remember that this game isn't a 'new thing' the way PUBG was...  The game needs to be seen as fluid and reliable and as long as it is I think it'll continue to grow players.  Unfortunately on launch there's little justification for people to play it when its essentially and 'old-style' game that wasn't working well - it's whole appeal is pretty much a double-edged sword. 

I think they should continue with development and time a major patch to a steam sale to convince players to purchase / give it another try once everything is working fine.  I wouldn't bother with much else promo until then since they risk putting players offside before things are refined further. 

Something better left to a gameplay thread, but I think they need to tone down the jumpshots slightly with a small accuracy penalty to at least make it un-viable at long ranges and ease some frustrations. 

Edited by Varza

4 hours ago, speed said:

Make the game free to play for a while

A bit too earlier for this. The game is still bugged. They do not have interest to open it to free players even to make known the game.

A lot of players do not understand what is an Early Access and do not understand that Battalion1944 is still under development.
And i agree with you  when you said Devs open EA to quickly. There should have been more phases Alpha and Beta to fix MM and Dedicated Server files.

For players who don't like jumpers, move on dedicated servers, you will find some good communities who restrict this game style.
The force of Battalion1944 is it is made for all kind of players : Good, bad, jumpers, runners, tactical players, pros or casual ....

If there is only 1 thing to keep in mind : Be patient and gives credits to the dev to make a great game.

Edited by Soldat Ryan

My problem with this game:

- its so dark, it doesn't have a good feeling while playin on those maps.

- The other thing that I only like 1 map of all the released maps. Old cod UO/2 maps should be implemented.

- Take 2 mins to launch the game.

- Takes 1+ min to load the map (Loading is faster in Battlefield 1...) and I often I get "connection lost to the host" error.