This might be an unpopular opinion, but I'd try getting rid of the sprinting. I'd also increase movement speed with a pistol out, like it was in cod2. Or possibly only be able to sprint with a pistol? I think it'd be interesting to see how effective bhopping would be if you had to do it with your pistol than switch your weapon *when you want to shoot*.

Edited by bseats
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Connard said:

Even today online games are not completely world wide, North Koreans don't have internet access (except for few exception) for example, or you can look at Battalion where some country block the connection from servers hosted by Google services.

And in the 2000's it was certainly even worst.

That don't make any difference, CS started as a mod.

That's not an argument, I can point out that CS, MOHAA, Cod1/2 had much smaller communities than the online games of today...

Connard  - lets break your response down

Worldwide does not necessarily mean every single country but it is figuratively speaking.  In 2000s most of the 1st and 2nd world countries had DSL (ADSL form over POTS or ISDN).  Don't forget the world series in baseball refers to the US so this can be distorted.  I can tell you now that countries with issues have ways to get out to the masses and circumvent the security

CS did start as a mod - I played it.  And then Valve bought it and made it into a game which then took off

In the United States, Call of Duty sold 790,000 copies,  indicating sales of at least 100,000 copies in the United Kingdom, The game sold 4.5 million copies worldwide by 2013. Call of Duty 2 was the most popular launch title on the Xbox 360, with 200,000 units sold in its first week of availability.[45] 77% of people who purchased an Xbox 360 also purchased the game, which contributed to its high sales.[46] As of July 2006, 1.4 million copies of the game had been sold on the Xbox 360.[47] By January 2008, the game had sold 2 million copies.[48] By November 2013, the game had sold 5.9 million copies

not very many I agree lmao

The reason why they have so many people on the games now is because internet speeds are faster and cheaper than they were back then.  It was expensive to have a DSL connection, and now in this decade it is all about connectability with mobiles etc and streamers so people love being online to stream content

Don't forget consoles went online which they started to at the back end of the 2000s but are now prominent.  So yes they will have a bigger player base

In years to come there will be even more due to the reach of the net to more people, fall in cost of computers etc - simple economics with a growth in the human population....

Edited by Koopa
  • Downvote 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:44 PM, Koopa said:

Well the net back then was not good enough to have a game - pings would have been too high

Your sarcasm is lost here, It is not necessarily the timescales we are talking about but the genre.  10 years for some is "old school" but for others this is not.  

The hypothesis is not wobbly, infact it is quite accurate.

1st premise is I am assessing it stock game against stock game.  Promod came later after the casual player base was significant.  However the "old school" games never had rankings.  We made our own stats webpage showing all the stats per weapon, and gametype etc, but there was no benefit or ranking.

Promod suggests to me it is a mod, and I don't know if infinity ward made this and it wasn't launched with the game.  So it stands on firm foundations

Again Quake 3 was launched in 1999

Unreal Tournament was released in 1999

2nd Premise is that ADSL didn't really start being released in the UK until 2000+ so multiplayer gaming certainly was too difficult to do with a very high ping.

CoD WW2 is not CoD1 or CoD2 - it is far from the infinity ward of 2003 and 2005.  I am sorry but most gamers of that era, which I was, would agree with me.  CoD WW2 has loot boxes etc and CoD1 or 2 had none of this.  I could go on and on about the differences but I don't think I will be able to convince you that they are two separate entities, Sledgehammer made CoD WW2 and Infinity Ward made CoD 1 and 2 as well as the CoD 4

Doom, Doom 2 and Quake were massively popular multiplayer through either peer to peer direct dial or via 4 player BBS services of which there were several in the UK such as Gamesnet and Forest (my meagre claim to fame is to remain undefeated on the Cardiff Gamesnet BBS until it closed - sad yeah I know but I'll take what I can) Doom and Doom 2 had huge following in the US through services like DWANGO spawning many WAD packs that became popular across the community. In 1995 I was playing on a 200 player WW2 flight sim called Warbirds, dialling long distance to an internet access provider in the UK using a DOS PPP/SLIP script to connect to the US Warbirds server, pings were high but gameplay was great. Of course along came Quakeworld in 1996 proving you could have reliable internet gaming on a dialup modem, I used an internet provider called Pipex back then as they were pretty good, Quakeworld could be played on pings of 150ms+, obviously the lower the better but I remember clan games against US clans with pings of around 200 being playable over the net. Kali released in '95 and emulated an IPX network over TCP/IP which opened up a whole raft of games that became popular over the internet such as Descent and its sequels long before Quake 3 and UT. Broadband obviously made things a lot easier (although you have to wonder if its made developers lazy when you look at some of those creative ways to game online in the 90's and the amazing prediction code employed to deal with such pings) I was a beta tester for Cabletel around '98-'99 IIRC (long before they became NTL and then Virgin) the first connection the gave me to test was 56k - but the difference going from a 56k dial-up to cable was huge, a server on dialup may be 150ms but drop to 50ms on the cable modem.

For all the talk of taking inspiration from CoD 2, MOHAA and DoD I just don't see in in Battalion 1944. Its Quake with WW2 skins.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Revvin said:

Doom, Doom 2 and Quake were massively popular multiplayer through either peer to peer direct dial or via 4 player BBS services of which there were several in the UK such as Gamesnet and Forest (my meagre claim to fame is to remain undefeated on the Cardiff Gamesnet BBS until it closed - sad yeah I know but I'll take what I can) Doom and Doom 2 had huge following in the US through services like DWANGO spawning many WAD packs that became popular across the community. In 1995 I was playing on a 200 player WW2 flight sim called Warbirds, dialling long distance to an internet access provider in the UK using a DOS PPP/SLIP script to connect to the US Warbirds server, pings were high but gameplay was great. Of course along came Quakeworld in 1996 proving you could have reliable internet gaming on a dialup modem, I used an internet provider called Pipex back then as they were pretty good, Quakeworld could be played on pings of 150ms+, obviously the lower the better but I remember clan games against US clans with pings of around 200 being playable over the net. Kali released in '95 and emulated an IPX network over TCP/IP which opened up a whole raft of games that became popular over the internet such as Descent and its sequels long before Quake 3 and UT. Broadband obviously made things a lot easier (although you have to wonder if its made developers lazy when you look at some of those creative ways to game online in the 90's and the amazing prediction code employed to deal with such pings) I was a beta tester for Cabletel around '98-'99 IIRC (long before they became NTL and then Virgin) the first connection the gave me to test was 56k - but the difference going from a 56k dial-up to cable was huge, a server on dialup may be 150ms but drop to 50ms on the cable modem.

For all the talk of taking inspiration from CoD 2, MOHAA and DoD I just don't see in in Battalion 1944. Its Quake with WW2 skins.

I stand corrected on the playerbase of Quake, and happy to be - I never saw it as teenager.  At LANs we played but not online, but that was close to 1999 - 2000.  Interesting on the modems but your right on the pings - however I did see a dive in the quality of NTL cable in 2005 as their assets were badly maintained.  Download speeds were great but pings often were sky high making gaming online unplayable

• Downvote 1

15 hours ago, Drezzy said:

With the jump the game will really die .... :/

I don't think that will be case however, i do think not as many would be willing to play it as their main game as it currently is but if it is toned down a little it will help or wait for the time where the server owner can adjust the jumping if it is possible to"lessen" the exaggerated strafe jumping.

This game in its current state is a bit like marmite, you either love it or hate xD

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately if the bunny hopping currently prevalent in the game is not significantly toned down there will be too many players put off.  Of six friends who played tonight all were of an opinion it was a problem.  One took one look, played less than a round and rage quit for an immediate refund.  Another after less than two rounds had had enough and said he loved the game concept but would wait until it was more mature before trying again.  Only a couple of us remained after three rounds.

The mechanic may work for the true competitive e-sports scene.  But it will not have appeal for the mass market.  It's not a realism thing, it's about being able to understand and have some prediction of how a player avatar can be able to move.

Some jumping ability is needed, simply to be able to get on to or over certain things (the number of times one seemed to trip on a pebble in Battlefield 3 and 4 was silly).  But the height of single and repeated jumps whilst players retain absolute accuracy is incredulous.  Yes by all means have quick scope, quick prone and similar movements, but such movements then need a penalty so they are one way only and not immediately repeatable.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Kannon Fodda said:

The mechanic may work for the true competitive e-sports scene.  But it will not have appeal for the mass market.  It's not a realism thing, it's about being able to understand and have some prediction of how a player avatar can be able to move.

Agree.

• Upvote 1

Agreed, I'm not saying get rid of jumping all together. But having accuracy of jumping around the corners with smg/snipers is total rubbish. And I totally agree with that its put people off this game.

I guess they only want to attract a certain market which is a real shame.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Squarzy said:

Will the developers listen to us ? this and the question !

The developers only seem active on Twitter and Reddit, but barely on their official forum. So if they're going to listen to us? No. Maybe if you also post the same thing on Reddit or Twitter they will listen. 

51 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

The developers only seem active on Twitter and Reddit, but barely on their official forum. So if they're going to listen to us? No. Maybe if you also post the same thing on Reddit or Twitter they will listen. 

The level of debility ..... amazing !

Very sad to see such a start to this game's release.

In my lowly opinion and voicing those I have played the game alongside the bunnyhoppingstrafejumpingoneshotheadshothipshooting is a bit overwhelming and turning many off the game. 

Shame :(

On 2/16/2018 at 12:26 AM, Revvin said:

There are legitimate criticisms to be had about this game but c'mon this is not Quake with WW2 skins.

CoD4 with WW2 skins. Maybe. This game has no similarities to Quake.

• Upvote 1