Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Koopa said:

Well the net back then was not good enough to have a game - pings would have been too high

And there was still an online community around these games.

 

1 hour ago, Koopa said:

It is not necessarily the timescales we are talking about but the genre. 

Lol, you started to talk about timescale... And the "genre" is very subjective.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Connard said:

And there was still an online community around these games.

 

Lol, you started to talk about timescale... And the "genre" is very subjective.

A community around it? For the single player cheats... not multiplayer... I remember it well, the times my father told me to get off the internet for being on there for 15 mins as it was so expensive with the 56k modem (most people have no idea how that was).   1993 was when the world wide web started and more was contained within the computer magazines (which was where the community was) than online. Sorry bud but that was my teens and I remember it vividly

yes I talked about timescales as to show how far apart they were and not as old as CoD1 or two, as they are over ten years pushing 15 years.  Genre is subjective but not when you compare apples with pears.  CoD4 is Modern Warfare - based on the wars of today.  CoD 1 & 2 is WW2 hence they are different genres also play differently

Like I said - in CoD 4 if you were a rank 50 you would kick a rank 1 persons butt as their weapon was not as powerful nor had the perks.  There is no level playing or skill to that.  This was the stock game, Promod came along later, and so it is not a classic of the era, as it was the beginning of the console era and ranking up.  The argument over PC and Console is another thing which to be honest should be left alone.

Edited by Koopa
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 13-2-2018 at 7:13 PM, Koopa said:

LoL - and it's killed the game, along with no xp with your server, lack of support for community server

people are fed up and the numbers show it... its dropped to about 800 people playing at the min and will be less for the peak tonight.  I like others are getting fed up waiting for a fix with no communications from the guys.

I understand they want a good earn break however this is not the time to take

 

This is exactly whats wrong atm ! Couldnt have put it better ! ..........But guys i am 100% sure that all this sheit will get fixed keeping in mind that its just EA  :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This video is made by a very bad player who does not even know the maps from what i saw. His aiming is pretty much non existent and he moves like a bot. No wonder he got rekt by better players.

  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Whether some want to admit it or not, the strafejumpshooting presents a problem in this game. Mainly because it is the best way to fight most CQB engagement. As others have already mentioned here or reddit, it removes variety from the game.

I am all for rewarding better aiming (which the above method of engaging requires), but I think nobody wants this game to be mostly strafejumpshooting. In my opinion either it should be less efficient or other methods of engaging should be more efficient.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ralfy said:

This video is made by a very bad player who does not even know the maps from what i saw. His aiming is pretty much non existent and he moves like a bot. No wonder he got rekt by better players.

Are only topplayers like Phantasy, Duffer and Knaller allowed to voice their opinion? I feel like he made some valid points in this video, but also felt that on certain parts he didn't do his 'homework'. He may not be the most skilled player, neither am I (in this game), but I've said it before and will say it again; this game needs casual players to grow. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, dfk_7677 said:

Whether some want to admit it or not, the strafejumpshooting presents a problem in this game. Mainly because it is the best way to fight most CQB engagement. As others have already mentioned here or reddit, it removes variety from the game.

I am all for rewarding better aiming (which the above method of engaging requires), but I think nobody wants this game to be mostly strafejumpshooting. In my opinion either it should be less efficient or other methods of engaging should be more efficient.

Finding a good balance between jump peeking and lean peeking is the way to go. Removing completely jump shot will just replace a game mechanic by another and won't add any varity into the game.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Are only topplayers like Phantasy, Duffer and Knaller allowed to voice their opinion? I feel like he made some valid points in this video, but also felt that on certain parts he didn't do his 'homework'. He may not be the most skilled player, neither am I (in this game), but I've said it before and will say it again; this game needs casual players to grow. 

i agree that not everyone is or will be good in this game, and YES the Casual players are those who make a game big. I watched 4min of the video and the guy was complayning how often he dies in this "shit" game, not that the game has issues, IMHO he was just hating and not being neutral

Edited by Ralfy
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Koopa said:

A community around it? For the single player cheats... not multiplayer... I remember it well, the times my father told me to get off the internet for being on there for 15 mins as it was so expensive with the 56k modem (most people have no idea how that was).   1993 was when the world wide web started and more was contained within the computer magazines (which was where the community was) than online. Sorry bud but that was my teens and I remember it vividly

So ? There were still people playing it, not a lot but still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Connard said:

Finding a good balance between jump peeking and lean peeking is the way to go. Removing completely jump shot will just replace a game mechanic by another and won't add any varity into the game.

I am not in any way suggesting that jump peeking should be removed. Some people have proposed an increase in ADS movement speed for example. I really don't know if that is the solution or what the solution is, but I think it should be worked on someway.

If the player base is big enough then the matchmaker should be able to match people of mostly the same skill and that should result to people not being stomped by veterans. Casuals will have a better chance and I think we all agree that all games need casuals (of which a percentage will become better and go to another category, even pros).

We also know that the game is unforgiving of low skill (because of low TtK and general mechanics). For me this is a good thing even if I get regularly pawned, but most casual people don't have the patience to work and become better and have so many alternatives in FPSs that cater to low skill.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, dfk_7677 said:

 I get regularly pawned, but most casual people don't have the patience to work and become better and have so many alternatives in FPSs that cater to low skill.

Funny, I do not consider this game at all to be more skillful than other games. It's just another game style.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, SirBob said:

Funny, I do not consider this game at all to be more skillful than other games. It's just another game style.

 

You should play some Battlefield 1 and make comparisons ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, dfk_7677 said:

You should play some Battlefield 1 and make comparisons ;)

Have 1700 hours in BF1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SirBob said:

Have 1700 hours in BF1.

And you don't see how more skillful than BF1 this game is? BF1 is infamous for all the unskillful ways you can die. I don't want to derail the thread with listing them.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

Are only topplayers like Phantasy, Duffer and Knaller allowed to voice their opinion? I feel like he made some valid points in this video, but also felt that on certain parts he didn't do his 'homework'. He may not be the most skilled player, neither am I (in this game), but I've said it before and will say it again; this game needs casual players to grow. 

Well the thing is if you make a "review" where you say the game is a "dying simulator" but you are just actually bad then you shouldn't be able to voice your opinion, reviews are supposed to be made by people who have somekind of experience. It's like I buy quake, i'm not good at it and say the game is a dying simulator, it is simply false and the fact that he voiced his opinion in a video, where he is supposed to inform consumers about the game, makes it just worse. You want a good neutral review of the game? Watch Jackfrag's video on Battalion

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dfk_7677 said:

And you don't see how more skillful than BF1 this game is? BF1 is infamous for all the unskillful ways you can die. I don't want to derail the thread with listing them.

No I don't, It's only a matter of learning 2-3 mechanical techniques in B44 and the hardcore mode makes kills very easy.

Same can be said about BF1 and the many ways to die.

But it's 2 total different games that can not be compared, and I don't think you can say one is more skillfull than the other.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@SirBob

I understand your opinion but I completely disagree. I have been playing BF games since 2005 (with a 2 year break of CoD4) and from game to game they have become friendlier to low skilled/casual players. That is the reason BF1 is completely abandoned by the vast majority of competitive players, as the skill gap is too narrow. Nowadays the words Battlefield and Competitive combined make people laugh, which breaks my heart as it is my beloved franchise.

BF1 is great for what it is, a casual player magnet, with impressive GFX, narrow skill gap and a lot of useless (gameplay-wise) variety and gimmicks.

Battalion on the other hand is exactly the opposite. That is why I worry that it won't be popular enough with casuals.

Edited by dfk_7677
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, dfk_7677 said:

@SirBob

I understand your opinion but I completely disagree. I have been playing BF games since 2005 (with a 2 year break of CoD4) and from game to game they have become friendlier to low skilled/casual players. That is the reason BF1 is completely abandoned by the vast majority of competitive players, as the skill gap is too narrow. Nowadays the words Battlefield and Competitive combined make people laugh, which breaks my heart as it is my beloved franchise.

BF1 is great for what it is, a casual player magnet, with impressive GFX, narrow skill gap and a lot of useless (gameplay-wise) variety and gimmicks.

Battalion on the other hand is exactly to opposite. That is why I worry that it won't be as popular enough with casuals.

I dont get how casual and jumpshooting is an argument hand in hand. I rekt people too with that jumpshooting and I still hate this game because of this. I would rather peek with Q&E all the time and get killed if someone is preaiming that exact spot and kill that dude if he is not preaiming that exact spot where I am peeking. So that you have to know the angles and hide spots etc. 

Casuals have fun in these games they can fill the unranked and arcade modes and get in touch with better players who warm up for competitve.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dfk_7677 said:

@SirBob

I understand your opinion but I completely disagree. I have been playing BF games since 2005 (with a 2 year break of CoD4) and from game to game they have become friendlier to low skilled/casual players. That is the reason BF1 is completely abandoned by the vast majority of competitive players, as the skill gap is too narrow. Nowadays the words Battlefield and Competitive combined make people laugh, which breaks my heart as it is my beloved franchise.

BF1 is great for what it is, a casual player magnet, with impressive GFX, narrow skill gap and a lot of useless (gameplay-wise) variety and gimmicks.

Battalion on the other hand is exactly the opposite. That is why I worry that it won't be popular enough with casuals.

I have played all BF games since BF1942, Cod UO/2/4 and are now playing Cod ww2.

I do agree that BF is a 100% casual game for the masses without any level of comp. and my heart broke after BF2 when the downgraded it to compete with cod.

I have also played a lot of 8x8 clan matches in BF1 and it's not that different from 5x5 in B44 regarding skills.

To compare you have to play a 32-64 server in B44 and that just as chaotic as playing locker / metro and with so many random kills.

I would very much like B44 to be a huge succes. Otherwise i wouldn't be posting her. But it won't happen without the casuals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some will be happy at the below and others will be disappointed.  Here is the words of the DEVS on their Discord channel

...Message Inbound...

Host: Gen. @BRAMMERTRON
Operation: BUGSTOMPER
Status: Pending
Target: Tonight. GMT.
Required: The 44th Battalion

Details:
- Update to go live sometime tonight, GMT.
- Competitive is here, all ranks accounted for.
- If you crash/restart - you can reconnect
- XP/HUD-display issue: should be fixed.
- If u d/connect in Competitive, you will be banned.
- Over 30 crash scenarios fixed!!
- In-game VOIP still being adjusted/improved.

Coming later/In-Progress:
- Big March Update (and a new map!)
- First LAN Announcement coming next week.

So soldiers, pack ur kits.
Wall-bang, jump-shot, drop-shot and pirouette ur way to fragilicious glory - Tonight. And every night.

At ease, soldiers.

4 hours ago, Connard said:

So ? There were still people playing it, not a lot but still.

Back in those times in the 90's there was no multiplayer.... A clear difference between single player and multiplayer.  Ever played with a 250-400 ping without lag compensation? Obviously not.....

Titles like Doom and Quake were single player games like Duke Nukem.  

Anyways Turkeys don't vote for Christmas

Edited by Koopa
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Koopa said:

Time to be blunt. Back in those times in the 90's there was no multiplayer.  A clear difference between single player and multiplayer.  Ever played with a 250-400 ping without lag compensation? Obviously not.....

Titles like Doom and Quake were single player games like Duke Nukem.  

Anyways Turkeys don't vote for Christmas

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DWANGO

Ok, i was wrong on the date, the online "mod" for Doom came up only in december 1994.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Connard said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DWANGO

Ok, i was wrong on the date, the online "mod" for Doom came up only in december 1994.

In comparison to their single player community whom used computer magazines etc it was not a "huge" community only 10,000 at its peak

Quote

They were also struggling to get developers to add support for DWANGO to their games. Many of the titles supported by the service, such as Quake and Total Annihilation were already playable over the Internet for free. With increased competition and decreasing game support, DWANGO's subscriber base dwindled.[10] It was formally shut down in 1998.[4] However, its division in Japan continued to do well and continued

So it didn't last that long as it died a death due to other titles coming out

Edited by Koopa
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Koopa said:

That wasn't world wide either - the united states and a few other players from a few countries

Even today online games are not completely world wide, North Koreans don't have internet access (except for few exception) for example, or you can look at Battalion where some country block the connection from servers hosted by Google services.

And in the 2000's it was certainly even worst.

 

7 minutes ago, Koopa said:

with a mod - not the stock game

That don't make any difference, CS started as a mod.

 

7 minutes ago, Koopa said:

it had 10,000 players

That's not an argument, I can point out that CS, MOHAA, Cod1/2 had much smaller communities than the online games of today...

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×