Grasshopper

Was Battalion 1944 worth the wait?

Like most people I've been waiting for this game since 2016 and after two long years of hyping myself up for this game, it's finally here. I've played several matches so far and assume most of you have now that the servers are working better than during launch. That begs the question: was Battalion 1944 worth the wait? 

I'm aware that the game is still in early access, but I doubt the game will change radically in the future. From now on I only expect minor changes like adding server filters, fixing bugs and maybe in the future more maps and armies. But nothing that will drastically change the gameplay. 

To answer my own question: yes and no. In the last two years I've extremely overhyped the game for myself to a level that no gaming developer in the world could make it. So when it was released I was pretty underwhelmed. It didn't bring back the good old COD2 memories from when me and my friends would play Clanbase all night and make tactics for the game during lunchbreak. It felt more like COD4 with WW2 skins. Which isn't a bad thing, but I always loved COD 1, UO and 2 more than COD 4. 

Putting my nostalgic feelings aside and judging the game on what it is, a new game and not a remake of COD, I actually enjoy playing it. No killstreaks, pink camo's or other bullshit. I doubt Battalion will become my 'main game', but it will be a game I enjoy playing besides Battlefield, Call of Duty 2 and other games for hours and hours. 

What are your thoughts? 

• Upvote 2

No game in the world could've brought back that feeling of creating strats during lunchbreak, because everything has changed since then, especially you, as a player and a human being.

Because people are so passionate about the old games (including CoD4), I was expecting the reaction the whole community had, the "love it or hate it" mentality couldn't have been avoided. A lot of people expected this to be CoD2 reincarnate, while also a lot of people expected it to be CoD4 Promod v2, while also a lot of people expected something more realistic. 

No matter how the game would've ended looking, a big part of the potential playerbase would've been unhappy.

• Upvote 3

For me now, no. It's to faced paced and bunny jumping strafe killing frag game... BUT I hope that will change when the community bring maps and mods to control that madness and bring huge maps with rifle/sniper only mods lol

I sure the game is good for those that like promod and csgo, I'm not there that's why I say no for now. I still have hope <3

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Razor said:

I sure the game is good for those that like promod and csgo, I'm not there that's why I say no for now. I still have hope <3

Same here. Didn't like promod i the good old days :-) and still don't. But an old gig like me are not the target for this game right now. I have to wait for some mods, but if so then it can be a really fun game.

1 hour ago, SirBob said:

Same here. Didn't like promod i the good old days :-) and still don't. But an old gig like me are not the target for this game right now. I have to wait for some mods, but if so then it can be a really fun game.

Agree! Well I'm not that old I think lol, 43 winters but barely 20 in my head I think lol

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Razor said:

Agree! Well I'm not that old I think lol, 43 winters but barely 20 in my head I think lol

I'm 51 but I with you regarding the 20 :-), my vife always says she have 3 kids and no husband lol

I wish they had made both vanilla and promode, so a casual players like me could enjoy the game and let those who like to compete play promod.

And I think you need casual players in order to get a solid player base which can create the foundation for the game to involve into a game for competition, which seems to be the primary purpose.

Back in time I used to play S&D and CTF on clan base and friendly clan matches but I'm not there anymore.

I really liked vanilla cod UO, cod2 BF1942 and BF1943 (Always been a ww2 fan) and i was hoping and still does that this game can bring back some of the same.

But this bunny jumping simulator combined with op laser guns just feels weird.

I have not given up on this game and will follow it to see in what direction it goes.

Edited by SirBob

11 hours ago, MagicalBubba said:

It's a game in its infancy and each patch will improve it.  

I think we're missing a killer couple of maps.

I agree to a certain extent. Yes, the game will improve with each patch and by the addition of new maps. But I doubt the most important part, gameplay, will change that much. So although the game is still in it's infancy I think people can tell if they like it or not. 

Unfortunately, no. As someone who was in love with CoD4 promod for around 3 years of constant gaming, this is a huge letdown so far.

And don't get me wrong, I never expected a pure CoD4 copy. Battalion is decent in it's core, but that's it. It's "decent". I hoped to get CoD 4 Promod from 2007/8 put into 2018 with tons of improvements. I expected for them to take CoD2/4 as a starting point and build something great on top of that. 

But they just "copied" 10 years old game, created a new economy system (that i don't like very much) and put it inside even worse graphics than CoD4 had 10 years ago. 

To revive something back to life, one has to come with something special and improve upon what it used to be. 

48 minutes ago, DarkMortyr said:

But they just "copied" 10 years old game, created a new economy system (that i don't like very much) and put it inside even worse graphics than CoD4 had 10 years ago. 

To revive something back to life, one has to come with something special and improve upon what it used to be. 

+1