Soldat Ryan

Dedicated Server Feedback and .... suggestion

I think some of my feedback have been reported yet but in case of ...

Dedicated server version : 10747

1 - I have installed my Bat44 server on a VM hosting Windows Server 2008
CPU : E3 1245V2 (3.4GHz)
Mem : 14Go

Nothing to say about the installation, it is clear. ^_^ (DL and install ! )

The configuration of the game is less easy.
We need a bit more of details/info about the "Defaultgame.ini" (i spent a lot of time to find the way to stop the win loop 9_9 )
The wiki page is good but the seciton called "Server + Game Configuration" is really rudimentary and could be improved. IMHO

Crash cases :

• When we try to use a server command the server crash (change map, kick .... )
  • Server crash often at the rotation specially when several gamemodes (CTF,TDM ...) are used.
  • Random crashes .....  ! ?

If Devs needed i can provide logs files ( .bmp)

Slots :

• If you set several gamemode and want more than 10 players, the server browser display always 10 slots.
  • It is possible to set more than 10 slots but only one gamemode (CTF,TDM ...) must be available in the"Defaultgame.ini".
  • In this case the server is showing the correct slot number in the server browser BUT the server accept only 10 players. The player #11 have a message telling "Server Full"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 -  I tried to install the Bat44 server on Linux (Debian Wheezy) spec are the same as above but with more RAM.

• The server is running after updating Glib package but it is not reachable buy the players. Players got the message "Your conexion to the host has been lost". An other member meet the same problem (with other distro) : Check this post or this one  
  •   Don't know if this is on my side but I don't get this error with others game server hosted on the same machine : I use an Ipfailover to host my game servers but with Bat44 even if i set the Ipfailover on the "Run.sh", it is the main IP of the server (dedibox) which is used/Displayed.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The dedicated server needs  :
- Filters or ability to classify servers by name, map,  ping ...
- Ability to list all players from the console
- Ability to kick/ban player with only a part of the name
- Ability to kick/ban player with Game slot ID (It is shorter than Steam ID and really usefull for name with special characteres/typo)
- Ability to set a password ingame
- Add more information in the game log (Who's join/left, the SteamID with nickname, players actions : who kills who, chat log, map load, timestamp ..... )
- Add welcome/rules messages list in config file

Despite this, the game is still fun to play.
When it is online, my server is filling up quiclky.
What is positive too,  is that Bat44 server are not using a lot of ressource. That is a real good point.
EDIT : Not so positive : 25-30% of CPU usage with 20 players (server version : 10849) on the windows VM

Edited by Soldat Ryan
added dedicated server version
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Soldat Ryan said:

What is positive too,  is that Bat44 server are not using a lot of ressource. That is a real good point.

Not sure what u tested there. but a server with 10 players on takes up to 50% cpu (htop) and over 500Mb of RAM (also htop) 

Ram, ok, needs to hold the map and player connections and all that, it is still a bit much imo, but CPU is ridiculous. I could understand that much cpu usage when I'm running bots, but not actual players.

CPU is a Xeon E3-1225v2 @ 3.2 Ghz

• Upvote 1

On 03/02/2018 at 1:30 AM, Spoon said:

i agree with every apart from end my server with 10 players are using 25% CPU

On 03/02/2018 at 11:02 AM, belst said:

Not sure what u tested there. but a server with 10 players on takes up to 50% cpu (htop) and over 500Mb of RAM (also htop) 

Ram, ok, needs to hold the map and player connections and all that, it is still a bit much imo, but CPU is ridiculous. I could understand that much cpu usage when I'm running bots, but not actual players.

CPU is a Xeon E3-1225v2 @ 3.2 Ghz

I m a bit too much enthusiastic on this side. :$
My bad, I didn't check with a server full ! :ph34r:(indeed you right both that's make more sense :D)
I will rectify my post after checking better this point. ^_^

EDIT : confirm your point : 25-30% of CPU usage with 20 players (server version : 10849) on the windows VM

Edited by Soldat Ryan

I would like to programming a rcon tool/client so u dont have to use ingame commands, but.... there is no support from the unreal engine 4 as far as i know hope the devs will implemet rcon as fast as possible

Had the same today - this needs sorting quick also a mechanism to ban from your server.  After all we pay for the server so want to protect it from players who want to spoil the game