sauerman

UPDATE 2: Creating a Serverbrowser (outside of the game)

Hey community,

I am thinking about creating a tiny "server-browser" with filters, etc. It would run in the webbrowser (and mb as a electron-programm)

done

• Querying a server to get details (name, maxplayers, gamemode, map, etc..)
  • Server-list
  • interface (lalala)
  • basic filters | passwort protection, empty, full, gamemode, map
  • country-flags + filter-by-country

open

• connect to a server via mouseclick (probably won't be possible, connection via connect <IP>:<PORT> is the simple alternative)
  • client-ping (maybe possible via browser-plugin; I have an ideaaa - it requires a little script running on the clientside tho)
  • save filters in between sessions
  • mobile-friendly
  • filter-by-steamId (a.k.a. "show my servers")
  • rcon-tool (looks like we need to wait for the devs to impl. support for it; would require a little clientside-script unless you want to expose the rcon-password to me ;-))
  • performance optimizations (since the serverlist prolly wont shrink any time soon ;), well it actually shrunk ~ 1700 -> 1000 im sure they will be back on the weekend)
  • setting to change the "flag" of a server if its wrong (for the owner)

Maybe anybody has some information for me that would help to get that thing done asap :). Also I am wondering if its only me or if there is a demand for an application like this aslong as the ingame browser is useless like it is right now..

I already created a working prototype - You can check it out here: http://browser.battalionservers.com

Edited by sauerman
  • Like 7
  • Upvote 10

We were just talking about this idea last night! I think this is awesome!!!! If you need someone to help with graphics / ui, I can help.

And now, are you able to hotlink those servers listed so when I click one game opens and server shows up?  ;)

• Upvote 1

It's possible, we had web based server browsers like that back in COD/COD2 days ;)

I just don't know how to do it yet, I make websites but didn't have time yet to check it all out :P

Little feedback :
I m using Firefox and I have a little bug : the button refresh doesn't work. I have to hold F5 to refresh the server list.
(don't know if others people have the same issue)

22 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

Little feedback :
I m using Firefox and I have a little bug : the button refresh doesn't work. I have to hold F5 to refresh the server list.
(don't know if others people have the same issue)

Yeah i accidentally disabled the button :P

--

Update: I added country-flags in the first column.. currently only sortable (no filters).. It might take a while for all servers to load the flags..

Edited by sauerman
  • Upvote 1

Hey, do you mind open sourcing this, and could you explain how you got this to work? I had the same idea but couldn't get it to work - I used wireshark and was able to see they were sending data to 172.217.10.84 when you refreshed the server browser, but could't find out what headers I needed to send to get data back. There aren't any guides on how to do stuff like this, so just am really curious what your process was, thanks!

This is a really good addition but i notice since i updated my servers today i can no longer find my servers in the list.

The servers are live and i have joined them just the browser no longer finds/see's them.

Has the server update perhaps changed something?

There is a new Version out :) I added the filter-by-country feature..

edit: apparently utf8 flags not working in win10 yet..

edit2: I changed from utf8-flags to svg, which breaks sorting (for now) but should work on windows aswell

Edited by sauerman