Sign in to follow this  
sh0tyz

Demos for EA?

I was wondering if there is going to be a way to [ /record DEMO_NAME ] when EA is released, like the old COD days. Recording a demo would help put out EA frag movies (more publicity ;) )

This is NOT the same as theater mode (so please don't reply saying about this being released in Q4). Even just a simple way to record, distribute, and replay demos.

• Upvote 2

It's an absolute must to have this available as soon as possible. Especially if you're going to run online cups with prizes.

• Upvote 1

Agreed.

At least the simplest form of /record and /play would suffice. Gives AC Admins for leagues a chance to demo review. Plus with demos, it gives movie creators a chance to make some frag movies which means more publicity for battalion ;)

• Upvote 1

This is 100% needed. From a competitive perspective its obvious but even just public gameplay channels could utilise the clips from demos for community montages or whatever, like they do in most games ;)

Good suggestion :D

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Jester said:

Hopefully, otherwise it can make league disputes a little tricky to admin :/ 

I was thinking this as well Jester. I'm not sure if it's difficult to implement and understand if there are other priorities before... but we shall see. Going to be weird without having demos recorded.

Why not simply use Relive for AMD owner and Shadowplay for Nvidia. 
It works as record and no need to implement things on the game before the theater.

• Downvote 2

12 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

It works as record and no need to implement things on the game before the theater.

These record gameplay in real time. Demos allowed you to run back gameplay without the TS Comms, full gfx (for high quality frag movies), and allows you to record without affecting ingame framerates like those apps possibly can. 

Also, demos are usually more compressed than video files so its easier to distribute and review. This feature is in most FPS games throughout the years (CoD1, CoD2, CoD4, CS 1.6, CS:S, CS:GO, etc).

2 hours ago, FrosteR said:

Doesn't Unreal Engine have a recording function built-in? I thought I had read that somewhere.

I think it does. I'm pretty sure I read that on these forums from a dev a long time ago when I asked this question. Who knows, hopefully we get it though

21 hours ago, Soldat Ryan said:

It's not the same thing at all. Demos are needed in case of cheating or other disputes in leagues etc. Recording a demo doesn't affect your FPS at all and they are incredibly small. A COD4 demo would be 5mb for a match or so. Plus you can't edit them. You can edit video files and remove the parts where you turned an aimbot, wallhack etc.

Edited by FrosteR
  • Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, FrosteR said:

It's not the same thing at all. Demos are needed in case of cheating or other disputes in leagues etc. Recording a demo doesn't affect your FPS at all and they are incredibly small. A COD4 demo would be 5mb for a match or so. Plus you can't edit them. You can edit video files and remove the parts where you turned an aimbot, wallhack etc.

The @sh0tyz's question was mainly focused on making fragmovies and so edit files. Not to hunt cheaters. 9_9 That's why i point out him on these solutions.
But indeed it is possible that affects your FPS.

Edited by Soldat Ryan

as long as the demos are more reliable then csgo for example.

csgo demos are nearly usseles to catch cheaters with.

8 hours ago, abraxastv said:

As ToRRent said it's coming but not as soon as some would hope

He doesn't mean a ''theater mode''.

• Upvote 1

brammer has said a few times that it'll come out in due time, i'd imagine something like a demo system would take awhile to integrate, demo viewers are always so glitchy, i guess besides cod4/2 for some reason

as grizzly said, they are working on it, it is just more complicated than they thought, so it will take some time, but it is comming soon.

38 minutes ago, grizzly said:

brammer has said a few times that it'll come out in due time, i'd imagine something like a demo system would take awhile to integrate, demo viewers are always so glitchy, i guess besides cod4/2 for some reason

27 minutes ago, FISCHER said:

as grizzly said, they are working on it, it is just more complicated than they thought, so it will take some time, but it is comming soon.

This still isn't what we're meaning though. It's simply recording at the beginning of the match and then having the file to watch back in a separate program outwith the game. I'm sure it'd be easier if they integrated the playback inside battalion...but on cod4 for example, you /record at the beginning of the game then you'd have your dm_1 file or something like that, that you'd watch back in "cod4player." 

It's nothing like the demo player on CS etc 

Last I official heard of a simple demo recording system (NOT THEATER), it was in a very basic form like last summer. I was just wondering if anyone else heard anything else about it after that. Again, not theater mode being released Q4.