InstaPizza

Onslaught Gamemode

Onslaught

So I have been debating and thinking a lot about this idea and I think its worked out far enough to show and receive feedback. Currently working on the learning UE4 and already making general systems that can be prepared for.

General Idea

Goal and Maps

The idea is that a group of players will be fighting a onslaught of AI enemies that will come on in waves. Here the players got to work together to survive and scavenge guns from the AI.Below are a few small map ideas that can support this game-mode. Though I like the map that is surrounded by enemy spawns, this increases tension and possible flanks by the AI

image.png.08ce55afd7d1eee07ffb579bf5f97163.png

AI

This is going to be the hardest part as AI is just not easy to program right rather said really hard.

Classes

The composition of the AI changes on which is the current round, having multiple classes:

• Sub-machine gunner  (grunt that sprints forward)
  • Assault/support          (stays more back and throws nades)
  • Sniper                            (stands back and seeks higher positions to take shots

Maybe a 8/4/1 division seems about right

Intelligence

Over each round the AI enemies are supposed to get more "intelligent".

General aspects:

• Reaction speed on seeing targets
  • Accuracy
  • Focus cone(for spotting people)

Specifics(possible tactics and is going to be really hard/impossible):

• Keep track of players location if spotted to find targets
  • Possible flanking routes
  • Pinching players

Additional ideas

Just some random ideas that might make it more interesting

• Restocking ammunition at end of wave
  • Care-package with weapons/ammo
  • DP28 as stationary gun
  • Shop?(kinda goes against the grain with the current game)
  • Barricades

Conclusion

This will take me ages and hopefully by when the mod tools are complete I have something to show, the AI is going to be the hardest part and will be the focus after I get the basic game-mode working. Until then if you have any additional ideas or critique just please post a reply, I am more than interested to read your opinion.

2 minutes ago, Elemeno said:

well seeing as battalion doesnt have an ai system... this might take a bit of time....

Yeah and thats what I am going to focus on after i get the basic gamemode working. Which i am already close to.

4 minutes ago, Jester said:

So basically how zombies work, but they shoot you instead?

Zombies has been so many times and i wanted to give it a more interesting twist/tense and to make it harder.

Just now, InstaPizza said:

Zombies has been so many times and i wanted to give it a more interesting twist/tense and to make it harder.

I wasn't giving an opinion or anything, I was just asking is this the main concept of it? Basically just a shooting version of zombies where instead of coming to bite you, they will shoot you/throw nades?

Yes, thought that it was decently explained and I was giving my reason why I am not making a zombie mod :D

If the AI works decently it could be transferred to other game-modes(maybe objective orientated)

If anything this should be a pvp gamemode, similar to Red Orchestra 2 for a D-Day style map. 

One team has to push up, capture objectives to a team that is well defended and has high vantage points. Your goal is to hold the enemy, and the enemies goal is to capture all objectives. 

• Like 1

On 3-2-2018 at 11:11 PM, Sovietshark said:

If anything this should be a pvp gamemode, similar to Red Orchestra 2 for a D-Day style map. 

One team has to push up, capture objectives to a team that is well defended and has high vantage points. Your goal is to hold the enemy, and the enemies goal is to capture all objectives. 

Yeah I have been thinking to turn this into a pvp mode as AI will be too hard as i have been thinking about ways of doing it.

Though I am debating on what the rulesset is going to be