kazakhh

GPU to buy for Battalion 1944

I currently own a GTX 660 2GB and run the game with 80-100 fps on 1024x768 4:3 stretched with all graphics settings set to lowest possible except anti aliasing which is high. I was wondering if it's worth upgrading to an ASUS ROG STRIX RX 560 4GB one. What i want to achieve is stable 144 fps with the same settings i use right now, as i will be upgrading to a 144hz monitor some time this year. The card i mentioned above costs 145 euros in my country, and i'm only interested in playing battalion with it. What do you think? Should i consider a 1050ti better or should i go with this one? 

If you go for an upgrade, upgrade it good.

I've got a 1070 and have stable fps all on ultra settings and 1980 resoluton.

Not sure what the price difference is between a 1050 and 1070

I have a 1050ti 4gb and I can't remember 100% but i'm pretty sure I didn't get 144 constant, maybe 120-150 fluctuating. I just bought myself a benq zowie 144hz 24" monitor for this game too, going to get a 1060 6gb GPU in the next few weeks also pretty sure that will do the job!

Quite a big one, maybe 200-250 euros, depending on the manufacturer of course. I'm not interested in investing so much money in a gpu since i only want to play battalion and nothing more though... 

1 minute ago, aaroth said:

I have a 1050ti 4gb and I can't remember 100% but i'm pretty sure I didn't get 144 constant, maybe 120-150 fluctuating. I just bought myself a benq zowie 144hz 24" monitor for this game too, going to get a 1060 6gb GPU in the next few weeks also pretty sure that will do the job!

Do you think i will be able to hit 144 constantly with my settings though? Shit res and fucked up graph settings might do the trick? 

Differences between the two cards you mentioned are really small. 1050ti is slightly better overall, but you should really get the cheapest option between those two.

@aaroth what settings did you use? 1050ti should be more than enough for 1080p 144fps on all low, maybe textures med; 

2 minutes ago, kazakhh said:

Quite a big one, maybe 200-250 euros, depending on the manufacturer of course. I'm not interested in investing so much money in a gpu since i only want to play battalion and nothing more though... 

Do you think i will be able to hit 144 constantly with my settings though? Shit res and fucked up graph settings might do the trick? 

I had pretty much the same settings as you described and got 120-150, lowest everything and lowish resolution. However I don't have an overclocked GPU so maybe if you wanted to do that it could? Might need to upgrade the GPU fan though, would only be extra £20-30 for a good one.

2 minutes ago, locco said:

Differences between the two cards you mentioned are really small. 1050ti is slightly better overall, but you should really get the cheapest option between those two.

@aaroth what settings did you use? 1050ti should be more than enough for 1080p 144fps on all low, maybe textures med; 

I didn't play around with stuff a lot it has to be said, but i definitely had everything on low for the most part, like i said i could just be remembering incorrectly however! Hopefully there will be extra settings i can turn off come EA :P

15 hours ago, Merlin said:

Do some shopping for prices on cards.

The recent crypto mining has pushed demand and prices up, unfortunately.

This.

It’s been a nightmare trying to locate any stock let alone buy the right card. 1060 would of been a sweet spot between price and performance but the price is outrageously high currently due to miners. I’m trying to get a hold of a 1080 which is facing the same issue.

The game is built to be a lower quality feel and look game similar to the older shooters. I saw most people playing the game on low settings across the board as it helped with visibility etc. It’s built to be accessible by a lot of different setups and my current GTX 680 was maxing 144. It’s well optimised so hopefully you can get hold of something cheap to get good frame rate. As it will make a big difference at 144hz over 60

Edited by mez
Minor changes

I was wondering... If i can manage to buy a GTX 970 from ebay i guess i would be fine right? The prices are quite low (you can find one from 150-200 euros + shipping) last time i checked, what do you think? 

1 minute ago, kazakhh said:

I was wondering... If i can manage to buy a GTX 970 from ebay i guess i would be fine right? The prices are quite low (you can find one from 150-200 euros + shipping) last time i checked, what do you think? 

I have a 970 and I play at 144 fps (capped). (everything except AA on low. AA ultra)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BlueSmiley said:

I have a 970 and I play at 144 fps (capped). (everything except AA on low. AA ultra)

Sounds amazing, hope i can manage to get one! 

59 minutes ago, kazakhh said:

Sounds amazing, hope i can manage to get one! 

Just tried to play (servers were live) with high settings. I managed to get around 85-95 fps with everything maxed out. Good luck getting one!

Edit: Forgot to mention! I play on 2560x1440, so you'll get nice frames if you're on 1920x1080 (which you probably are using?). ;)

Edited by BlueSmiley

Just wondering what are the specs of ur PC besides GPU? I have an hd9750 and can play 1600x900 all ULTRA >100fps. I just updated my old i7 860 to the 8600k

Edited by sauerman

Before you buy a new gpu, what else is in your rig right now? CPU, RAM? And did you have texture streaming on and in the best case a SSD?

And are you sure your GPU is the bottleneck? 80-100 FPS on a GTX 660 on 1024x768 sounds too low. Get a tool combination like afterburner + rivatuner and check if your gpu is running on full load. Also check if the GPU or CPU are throttling. If the gpu is really on full load, maybe try a fresh system install.

You still won't get stable 144 FPS, 120+ should be possible though. And that's playable and will feel 10 times better with your new 144hz monitor anyway then. So maybe if you get some more FPS out of your rig, buy the new monitor first and the GPU second and hope for some better prices / take your time finding a good offer.

GPU market is a mess right now, second-hand! and new ones. If you buy off ebay, be careful and don't fall for fakes. Yes, that's a thing. People flashing shitty GPUs too make them look like higher models, or just re-label them. Also check the specific model for known issues which may the be the reason for the guy selling it in the first place.

Edited by dpolar
  • Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Grant said:

I recently got a GTX 1070 and i7 7700k in my pc and it run this game so smoothly with 200fps at all times.

si will most rigs on 800 x 600 lol its irrelevant stating the fact it runs at 200fps without stating your settings lol... ive got 8700 k overclocked with a 1070 everything maxed out it droped below 200 a few times and i wasnt taking much notice as the game was running nice and smooth so you obviously havnt got all settings maxed.

@dpolar My system has: 

CPU: Intel i7 920 @ 3.2 GHz

GPU: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB

6 GB of RAM

I use a Sandisk SSD 220 GB. 

I played with texture streaming on. Thanks for your advice man, but becaude i already now that 660 cant give me 144 fps im not gonna get into ocing it. I'll try formating and see if that helps maybe.

660 to a 1060 3or6gig card would be a the go upgrade wise.

Those cards can hold 200fps in battalion with the right settings

1 minute ago, saberaus said:

660 to a 1060 3or6gig card would be a the go upgrade wise.

Those cards can hold 200fps in battalion with the right settings

I'm pretty sure 970 has almost the same performance as a 1060, at least at battalion. I can only find 970 at used state though, and that's a risk.

Well im from Australia and you can pickup a secondhand 970 for like 150-200 depending on brand and cooling quality

ATM currently im using a 970 so in EU/NA I imagine a 970 would be dirt cheap to buy and yes 970 and 1060's are around the same speed