MattWales

VOIP Implementation

19 posts in this topic

So heres a question - and an idea .

My question is how the VOIP will be implemented - just a standard team VOIP chat, or could it be set up so that when you talk into the mic, only those around your character can hear you, and you actually have to press some sort of 'transmit' button to speak to the entire team.

Yes, I appreciate this isn't a simulator - its an FPS, so we're not looking to do the whole "only certain people can transmit on radios, only certain radios can transmit to certain radios etc". This isn't going to be ArmA 3.

What it WILL do is keep down the amount of chat in the background that nobody cares about - people arguing over who's mum got f**ked by who, which order they would bang The Saturdays yada yada yada.

It ALSO means that you know when you hear someone talking, chances are they're talking directly to you, because they're near - helps generate teamwork.

Just a thought to generate some discussion, would be very interested to hear people's ideas.

I think that this is an unnecessary feature considering people can just use teamspeak, ventrilo or discord (which is free). Plus you can choose who's on those VoIP solutions vs having to listen to some little kids screaming on the other end on a in-game VoIP. Every game I've ever see with built in VoIP doesn't help sway me towards it. You end up basically turning it off in settings and switching to a real solution like the three I mentioned earlier.

I think that this is an unnecessary feature considering people can just use teamspeak, ventrilo or discord (which is free).....

Yep, having your Clan's own private Teamspeak channel is a must.

VOIP will be definitely a part of the game. ;)

From FAQ on kickstarter page :

Will Battalion 1944 have Voice Communication?

Teamplay will be important if a Platoon wants to become best in their Battalion. We'll be including in game VoIP (which players can toggle mute) but we're totally cool with players using external VoIP software like Teamspeak, Mumble, etc

So both options!!! inclusive great stuff!!! that's the attitude we need on many of these ideas, just an ability to opt in and opt out of the ones that you want and don't want! Much better than saying I don't want them so game should not have them! Server tools FTW!

smiley-angry037.gif

If it's voice around a person I just hopes it is loud enough...

Most of the time the people have terrible mics. Can't make out what they see even if they stand in my face. Too low to hear'em. but I would love that. Instead of a voice channel in the game where as all the team mates hear you even though you're speaking to the person next to you...

We have no plans for attenuated positional VOIP (like Squad)

It's a really cool feature for a game like that with such a massive open world but not so effective in a competitive environment.

We'll be including a standard VOIP options with separate send/receive volume options and ofc, mute player/all functions!

If you haven't checked out Squad yet, I highly recommend it! http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/

teamspeak! voip ingame is used only for allah huakbarr screams and fart noises (i'm guilty too).

Edited by mazh

4 hours ago, [DEV] KingHoward said:

It's a really cool feature for a game like that with such a massive open world but not so effective in a competitive environment.

We'll be including a standard VOIP options with separate send/receive volume options and ofc, mute player/all functions!

If you haven't checked out Squad yet, I highly recommend it! http://store.steampowered.com/app/393380/

I'm a founder from there kickstart and boy has that game come a long way but back on topic, I agree, the positional VOIP is not for this type of game. I mean if modders could do there own thing then sure but for the fast pace action I cant see it being too effective and may render communication useless.

I mute everybody in the games i play.. no need to hear what my mothers job is.. :P

If i want to talk to people im playing with i will use some sort of teamspeak

Day of Infamy did this pretty well, everyone has area audible VOIP but only players with radio sets can communicate across the map. As a former Army radio operator, this makes my internal RTO happy. But in reality, it makes the game slapdash and uncoordinated as people basically ignore the voice button. The limitation of usefullness limits the desire of players to hit the button, and at the risk of being unrealistic, I'd rather just allow full-team VOIP. People who play for keeps are going to have TS anyway, so making the in-game comms less useful in search of gameplay-negative realism feels like the wrong approach.

On 2. veljače 2017. at 0:00 PM, mazh said:

teamspeak! voip ingame is used only for allah huakbarr screams and fart noises (i'm guilty too).

couldnt agree more

On 02/02/2017 at 10:14 AM, [DEV] KingHoward said:

Can you put a "no block option" for server admins?

I mean: even if a player choose to disable the VOIP and block players, it would be possible to disable the possibilty to "mute" players who are admin on server?

And: a block would persist or it must be setted again on every log-in? 

On 02/02/2017 at 0:00 PM, mazh said:

Haha pretty right but as admin sometimes a VOIP option can be usefull ;)