Merlin

Copyright issues?

Was just wondering if it's considered copyright infringement recreating maps from prior games.

I know there were issues with modders recreating Augusta when MS Golf existed.

As a mapper no, as a developer like Bulkhead yes as I understand it... Lots of maps from other games was made to COD franchise by amateur mappers :)

• Upvote 1

Directing porting from one developer or publisher to another is likely to draw attention but remaking maps from scratch (as in "based on") generally is tolerated.  Credit should always be given to the developer or individual mapper if that is the case. 

As an official map yeah they'd probably see themselves getting into legal issues, unless of course the map was based from an actual geographical location.

If an unofficial modder came and (for example) recreated mp_citystreets from COD4, I can't see an issue with someone having that on their own server, or even if a league decided to use it in their tournaments. As long as Bulkhead don't use it and implement it into the game as an official map, I think you're free to do whatever you want :)

Remaking maps is always a copyright issue. Doesn't matter if Bulkhead does it officially or a community member those it.

It is just much more likely that they will sue Bulkhead than a modder who does it in his freetime.

23 hours ago, belst said:

Remaking maps is always a copyright issue. Doesn't matter if Bulkhead does it officially or a community member those it.

It is just much more likely that they will sue Bulkhead than a modder who does it in his freetime.

Personally I doubt it on both of your points.  Not being a dick or anything but I just doubt it.  Im not saying that it couldnt happen but still I doubt it.  I have done remakes (as opposed to ports using source files).  How many different companies have done WW2 maps called Carentan for example?  Just about all of them.  How can they be so different that copyright doesnt become an issue?  Historical is always going to be historical but each mapper is going to be different in their recreation of those historical moments and places. 

18 hours ago, bRENNN said:

just gotta make sure you change some bits on it so it's not an exact clone

Short of using source files I agree completely.  I have yet to see anyone who can recreate a map (clone, recreation etc) that is a perfect replica. 

3 hours ago, Steve said:

Personally I doubt it on both of your points.  Not being a dick or anything but I just doubt it.  Im not saying that it couldnt happen but still I doubt it.  I have done remakes (as opposed to ports using source files).  How many different companies have done WW2 maps called Carentan for example?  Just about all of them.  How can they be so different that copyright doesnt become an issue?  Historical is always going to be historical but each mapper is going to be different in their recreation of those historical moments and places. 

Short of using source files I agree completely.  I have yet to see anyone who can recreate a map (clone, recreation etc) that is a perfect replica. 

No,

Remaking a Map is 100% a copyright infringement, even if you start 100% from scratch. I am not saying that those get pursued very often.

Just because you can repaint a picture, rewrite a book does not make it yours.

If you change a few things those changes might be copyrightable to you, if they are significant enough. Check Derivative work

If I were Bulkhead I wouldn't use any "remakes" made by the community in any official fashion. I'd just not risk it.

57 minutes ago, DIRTY HARRY said:

I maybe wrong but didn't DOW do a remake of Dods_donner from Day of Defeat Source  & just change the name?

That's correct. Valve took the game offline as soon as they knew this. Pretty funny since Driven Arts even advertised their game on their store page with that map. The game came back online some days later, but the map was gone. (Off-topic: It's a bit of a shame too, since it was the only good map in the whole game. Hah.)

@belst

I see where you are coming from and if I was Bulkhead I would avoid that very thing.  They are in the business to make money and with that in mind then no you cant rewrite a book or repaint a picture and call it yours.  As an unpaid person I stand to make absolutely nothing nor have I ever made anything from mapping.  Instead all I have done and all that countless other people have done is make use of free tools to create free content in a free market.  I do believe that is why us little guys do not get in trouble with the copyright side of things.  Things only really get messy when you try to capitalize on it.  That is a different ship altogether. 

Funny thing to all this is that I have actually throat punched people at my site and other sites for pirating maps made by private people for the enjoyment of the community.  I still stay that it is ok to remake maps based on previously released maps as long as credit is given to the original and that you do not profit in any way from it.  If you use some sort of means to decompile source files then you are trudging down a muddy road that can lead to trouble so once again I dont advise doing it.  Make it from scratch yourself and never for money and you should be relatively safe.  Remember also to give credit to the original.  I also dont agree with taking assets from one engine and using those assets in another game from a different studio and engine.  Obviously I am talking about using them within tools provided by gaming devs such as the various radiant backed games.  As an example I do not support assets ripped from Activision studios for use in the UE world and vice versa.  Yet I am ok with using assets from the various Call of Duty games being used in various Call of Duty games.

Getting a bit off topic and I do apologize for that but I hope the point is made that copyright issues can be a grey area full of hidden dangers or no dangers at all.  Just use caution and common sense.

Well... honestly I didn't know enough to give an answer (I think that DEVs have already checked this situation) but, as ignorant, I suppose that all come with "reality".

I mean that if a map was created/based on a real place you can't have (I suppose, because if it isn't so each photo that you make will go against copyrights ?) problems about copyrights, even if it was already took on other games.

Other situation could be if the place didn't exist anymore and you recreate them trough a photo... but, as said, I haven't skills into this domain to be sure.

I see a problem if you take a map that was invented, but here we have to know if this previous map was protected or no.

But, as said, I assume that they are enough professional to have checked this before spending hours (and money) ? 

Edited by [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf