Sign in to follow this  
OhBoy...

Ask any WW2 Veteran what WW2 was about.. Rap music of course!

I just asked my grandfather who was a DDAY +1 veteran what WW2 was about. Instantly I could see his eyes starting to water as he sat me down and took a deep breath.

"Well son.. It was about killing Germans who were all SS soldiers and wore red armbands without Swastikas because they didn't want to offend anyone all as we fought each other as a Kanye West sounding rapper sang songs featuring lyrics like "BLACK AND PROUD" on loud speakers."

I kinda figured that already from COD and Battlefield 1 where political correctness comes first over history.

I'm confident if Oompa Loompas represented 5% of the gaming community they would have a nazi dressed up like Willy Wanka and have a chocolate factory map.

Please stop screwing up history and just give us a realistic game like Rising Storm series.. 

PS

Here's whats going to happen.. 1-2 people are going to post how I'm racist because I think rap music does not belong in a ww2 game. Some 17 year old on a power trip whose a moderator will lock this thread and ban me only to see me spring up again when I reveal I'm behind a proxy and have an email generator(aw gosh darn did I just give it away.) Hopefully though instead someone can explain to me why the music choice "black and proud" was featured of a darn ww2 game.. Signed - A pissed off historian.

• Downvote 16

The game isn't meant to be some next level tryhard eye tearing movie level failing stuff

it's all about a well functioning multiplayer that is attractive to both casual and competitive players.

think of it this way: who the hell would care if CS:GO devs decided to add history to the game? the game ain't about that. 

Edited by Firefly
  • Upvote 4

Well said @Firefly

This game is about the old-school fps games, not about ww2

Ww2 is just a nice setting.

There are other games that want to be historical accurate..

If you had read the forums and posts on social media you should already know.. more than a year ago!

Edited by WeAsOne

Hey @OhBoy... 

First of all I want to thank you for taking time to give your opinion on our trailer. We appreciate all feedback as we feel its all useful to us for future decisions.

We understand that our song choice for our Early Access announcement trailer might not fit into the theme of WW2 exactly however we were inspired by shows and films such as "Peaky Blinders" and "The Great Gatsby" who use modern sounding / style music and also songs from modern day and incorporate them into their period setting.

We personally believe as @WeAsOne said that WW2 is just a setting for us and we felt that that song fit in with the style we were going for as well as provided a good emotional narrative to get people invested into wanting to play Battalion. We are sorry that you believe and request Battalion to be a "realistic shooter" however that is not what we promised and it is not what we made. We don't believe that our game or our trailer is disrespectful to anyone and we are going to continue to make trailers in the best interest of Battalion and its fans :) As @Firefly said, 

15 hours ago, Firefly said:

The game isn't meant to be some next level tryhard eye tearing movie level failing stuff

it's all about a well functioning multiplayer that is attractive to both casual and competitive players.

As an add on to this I'd like to say 50% of that video is game-play footage :) We didn't simulate any of the first person firefights in engine. The parts where you see +5 & +10 were recorded in-game so if that doesn't look like something you'd want to play then I recommend games like Red Orchestra 2, Squad or it's WW2 equivalent; Post Scriptum :) 

Despite this difference of opinion I hope you choose to look past historical accuracy and give Battalion a go and judge it based on how fun you find it and how it makes you feel. I hope to see you in game dude.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, OhBoy... said:

Germans who were all SS soldiers and wore red armbands without Swastikas because they didn't want to offend anyone 

Ever thought about the devs maybe wanting to release the game in germany aswell? And well... you know displaying swastikas in any form is kind of illegal here so if there were any swastikas in the game it would be banned instantly. Most famous example would be Wolfenstein 2009 wich got banned in germany because the devs forgot to cencor one single swastika.

Edited by Whhaayy

16 hours ago, OhBoy... said:

PS

Here's whats going to happen.. 1-2 people are going to post how I'm racist because I think rap music does not belong in a ww2 game. Some 17 year old on a power trip whose a moderator will lock this thread and ban me only to see me spring up again when I reveal I'm behind a proxy and have an email generator(aw gosh darn did I just give it away.) Hopefully though instead someone can explain to me why the music choice "black and proud" was featured of a darn ww2 game.. Signed - A pissed off historian.

Nobody thinks that but thanks for telling us what we think. I'll do the same for you. What I think is you totally missed the point of this game, had your own idea of what it was supposed to be and that didn't line up at all with all the information presented to us thus far.

Also that paragraph I quoted from you is a tad hypocritical. Read it back, read the responses and then see who sounds like the salty 17 year old.

Take a look at the link below, this is probably more suited to your requirements and I genuinely hope you find it enjoyable.

https://www.hellletloose.com/

Signed, a pissed off person who is fed up of people's inability to assimilate information.

Edited by Freakshow
  • Upvote 2

17 hours ago, OhBoy... said:

I just asked my grandfather who was a DDAY +1 veteran what WW2 was about. Instantly I could see his eyes starting to water as he sat me down and took a deep breath.

"Well son.. It was about killing Germans who were all SS soldiers and wore red armbands without Swastikas because they didn't want to offend anyone all as we fought each other as a Kanye West sounding rapper sang songs featuring lyrics like "BLACK AND PROUD" on loud speakers."

I kinda figured that already from COD and Battlefield 1 where political correctness comes first over history.

I'm confident if Oompa Loompas represented 5% of the gaming community they would have a nazi dressed up like Willy Wanka and have a chocolate factory map.

Please stop screwing up history and just give us a realistic game like Rising Storm series.. 

PS

i'm sure a WW2 vet, or any soldier who has seen combat, would be the last people on earth to deem a video game as representative at any level of their experiences so they wouldn't give 2 shits what music is played in the trailer. even if the music was vera lynn they wouldn't give 2 shits. if you did ask your WW2 vet grandad, he'd probably say something along the lines of what the bloody hell's a video game. and why do people keep banging on and on about swastikas. they're banned in germany so they couldn't sell the game there. i'm sure german gamers will actually want to buy this game.

Edited by Farq-S

18 hours ago, OhBoy... said:

PS

Wow mate you're the king of cringe! 

On 1/12/2018 at 5:01 AM, Freakshow said:

Nobody thinks that but thanks for telling us what we think. I'll do the same for you. What I think is you totally missed the point of this game, had your own idea of what it was supposed to be and that didn't line up at all with all the information presented to us thus far.

Also that paragraph I quoted from you is a tad hypocritical. Read it back, read the responses and then see who sounds like the salty 17 year old.

Take a look at the link below, this is probably more suited to your requirements and I genuinely hope you find it enjoyable.

https://www.hellletloose.com/

Signed, a pissed off person who is fed up of people's inability to assimilate information.

Damn, now that game looks good

The thing about showing swastikas is, that you would need a cut version for german (and some other countries?) players. Although the law got widened, a huge studio is yet to test the new boundary. I wouldn't want this game to have law problems just because of showing those stupid little signs. So they would need two differrent game versions.. Also to be honest, I think this game is all about the gameplay. The setting is "just the setting".

Edited by striker890

Yeah, let's make this game like the highly successful competitive FPS Red Orchestra 2 and its Rising Storm sequels. Be more like them, what a good precedent. Super successful, huge playerbase which consists of ornery armchair historians who define fun in a first person shooter as proning on a hillside and engaging 4 players at a minimum of 400 meters for the duration of a 20 minute round.

Whittle the game down to either match your skillset or just your particular idea of fun and enjoyment. This means a game of barely moving, crouched or laying prone, engaging as few angles as possible and not really concerning yourself with objectives or anything else that causes you to unrealistically get out of cover and do something. There are a lot of games like that out there. RO2, RS, RSV, Arma, to a certain extent even PUBG depending on how you play. There are exactly zero competitive first person shooters with ADS in a WW2 setting today. In fact the only real competitive FPS is Counter-Strike. Can the realism crowd leave it alone? No. As the ever persistent plague on gaming communities and any game that purports to be set in WW2, they're here and you'll never believe this but they have something to complain about.

The funniest part about games like RO2 is they're held up like the gold standard for skill and difficulty in an FPS by the "tactical realism" crowd. I competed in RO2, my team won the NA portion of Tripwire's launch tournament. The game was a joke in competition. While most of the realism teams out there were busy pretending they were Leutnant Otto von Deutschland and hugging the ground in tactical crawl formation, my team was sprinting around the map running and gunning them anyway and blowing teams out by an enormous margin. But I guess that was still fun for those teams because they were deriving a huge amount of personal satisfaction from noting the photo accuracy of parts of the Stalingrad grain elevator. Woo hoo.

The best part is people who pretend like with this game they were promised RO2 or a realistic WW2 sim or something. I donated to the kickstarter campaign for this game because it was explicitly stated that this was a competitive shooter set in WW2 not a WW2 game being bent into a competitive shooter. I don't go into RO2 and tell everyone they would be better off playing CoD games or complain to a developer who is on a mission to make an "immersive tactical realism shooter" that they didn't make an arcadey competitive FPS. Such a thing would come off as incredibly obnoxious.

-Signed, a gamer who actually has a degree in History and has the mental capacity to separate my hobbies from one another without needing a kleenex.

Edited by saLz
  • Upvote 1