frylich

What about "lean on" while walking?

Hi guys!

What you think about asking the dev for a "lean on" funktion while the player moves? like this:

Edited by frylich
better video

hey @frylich

this subject was suggested way back when the devs were discussing how to implement lean. leaning while walking was considered unnecessary and open to abuse by corner campers. i know there's a more appropriate name for corner campers but i can't remember what people called it at the time but Medal of Honor was held up as the worst example of leaning while walking.

Yes I think that should be implemented. Just slow down the movement speed drastically while leaning.

yes @Razor that's the vid i saw and remember thinking what an absolute shitshow. @vozER is right though. it could be implemented at a much slower movement speed. i could see that working but now it is the way it is i'd imagine it would be painful to implement now.

Hi, Frylich, welcome to the website ;) .

I can't stand this feature in any FPS game, except in the rare instances where a game has it, but without being able to shoot while leaning, as in "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" and "Return to Castle Wolfenstein". No matter how you try to implement this feature in-game, it will always encourage camping and also encourage those fraggin' for themselves, as they strive to rack-up their kill count.

Enforcing slower movement while leaning will achieve nothing, as most players who exploit this mechanic rarely move frequently during a frag. They simply set up in one of their favourite camping spots and only move if there location is compromised, thereby endangering their precious "k/d ratio".

9 hours ago, Razor said:

Please noooooo! I don't want to see this sh** again:

I'm sorry to say, Razor, we will see it again. I'm just hoping that we can somehow disable this gameplay-wrecking mechanic on our own servers.

Thanks guys and nice to hear that a lean funktion will be in battalion 1944 :)

I dont know why the most of u guys say that this funktion will cause a issue with campers.
In my opinion it will cause an improvement for players who likes to rush ;) => to dance around bullets, i did

Edited by frylich

11 hours ago, frylich said:

Thanks guys and nice to hear that a lean funktion will be in battalion 1944 :)

I dont know why the most of u guys say that this funktion will cause a issue with campers.
In my opinion it will cause an improvement for players who likes to rush ;) => to dance around bullets, i did

Agreed. To me it feels clunky, if I can't lean + walk slowly towards the wall to peak. I want to have my body next to the wall pretty much any time I can. 

I totally agree on the fact, that it should not be like in the early Wolfensteins since the movement speed doesn't get slower at all while walking and leaning. CoD1 and CoD2 had it done perfecrtly imo = slow down the movement speed drastically while leaning.

It just adds more for a smoother gameplay, in my opinion. 

Edited by vozER

Devs said that they want to make game movement same like it was in cod4 promod. So there is 99% chance that leaning on while walking will(is) be in the game. If I remember correctly in promod your movement speed while leaning on and aiming down the sight (with ak74 - smg) was not reduced or if it was reduced so it was not noticeable. I am not sure but I think leaning reduce speed same as ADS but if you lean and ADS - speed reduction does not stack ;). ADS movement speed was based on promod classes (assault, smg, demoliton, sniper). So walking while ADS with smg was maybe 2x faster than with sniper rifle.

I find this video showing how leaning in promod works. Only in 1st person view. You can notice that ADS reduce movement speed (but not for smg class).

this lowQ video shows how leaning looks like in 3rd person view:

• Upvote 1

I had a lot of fun with that super fast lean mechanics in MOHAA... Definitely liked that, in its time. But we can move on from that style of gameplay like COD1 did.

If anything, I'd like lean to work like Rainbow 6 Siege. There its a vital mechanic, but not as silly as MOHAA.

On 05/01/2018 at 9:41 AM, vozER said:

.....it should not be like in the early Wolfensteins since the movement speed doesn't get slower at all while walking and leaning.....

The point, though, with those older "Wolfenstein" games, is that you could lean, but not shoot while doing so, Vozer. I don't mind that at all.

On 05/01/2018 at 2:06 PM, Lyseeq said:

I find this video showing how leaning in promod works.

That's the first time I've seen that type of "lean" mechanic, Lyseeq, I've never played "CoD Promod". It's actually the best version that I've seen so far.

2 minutes ago, Wheeee said:

Only allow leaning while standing still and you're good to go ?

I've would say same as cod2 slow movement when leaning

Just now, ghcts said:

I've would say same as cod2 slow movement when leaning

Or this during the beta, yes, I'm pretty sure it's easily disabled if it turns out to be horrible

• Like 1

On 4.1.2018 at 11:57 AM, Farq-S said:

hey @frylich

i know there's a more appropriate name for corner campers but i can't remember what people called it at the time 

Was called clipping. In moh if you leant to the left side while sitting in a corner you could see around the corner without your model or hitbox beeing exposed

Edited by Whhaayy

Thanks for the nostalgia trip with all those familiar names in those 2 vids, espescially the first. As a former MoH:AA addict, I have to agree, that leaning like that has no place in a game any more.

37 minutes ago, Whhaayy said:

Was called clipping. In moh if you leant to the left side while sitting in a corner you could see around the corner without your model or hitbox beeing exposed

Idd. Clipping was leaving only a tiny fraction of your player model visible. Then there was self speccing was being able to see around a left hand corner without being visible. The good old days. The game had so many massive flaws yet it just worked.

Edited by Freakshow

1 hour ago, Freakshow said:

Idd. Clipping was leaving only a tiny fraction of your player model visible. Then there was self speccing was being able to see around a left hand corner without being visible. The good old days. The game had so many massive flaws yet it just worked.

Ye i mean in a game like Batt1944 i dont think it would work but in MOH even if it seems sucky today it was a mechanic you could abuse but also counterreact to. Same with blind spots in moh:spearhead. f.e. top left sniperhouse on hunt. I dont really want to compare it to bhops in cs or strafe jumps in quake but ill do it anyways because those also were not intended mechanics players with the know how could use. Or one of my favorites in moh:sh the invisible ledge walk in white ruins on hunt. AHHHH the nostalgia is taking over :D

• Like 1

On 10/01/2018 at 9:14 PM, Wheeee said:

Only allow leaning while standing still and you're good to go ?

Sounds like a good compromise to me, Wheeee ;) .