Sign in to follow this  
Firefly

Any casual mappers/modders out there?

I've got a couple of dreams, like remaking a CoD UO map for this game... 

but I'm incapable of doing it myself. I'd be willing to pay someone, though. 

Is there any way I can get in touch with someone who possesses the capabilities?

We have 5 mappers in our Clan, Firefly, we also have modders too. The lads are obviously interested in "BATT44" and working with the "Unreal Engine", they've been testing various things already. What map from "CoD UO" are you looking to recreate for Battalion?

Also, can you provide us with any screenshots/videos of the map?

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WolfEnstein said:

We have 5 mappers in our Clan, Firefly, we also have modders too. The lads are obviously interested in "BATT44" and working with the "Unreal Engine", they've been testing various things already. What map from "CoD UO" are you looking to recreate for Battalion?

Also, can you provide us with any screenshots/videos of the map?

Hey WolfEnstein,

Thank you for your response!

I was thinking of the map Hurtgen: one of the medium sized maps in the game (which is pretty big compared to all CoD WW2 maps). Youtube and google images is full of it. Here a few examples:

coduo-map-uo_hurtgen-std.jpg

hurtgen04.jpg

latest?cb=20110519052707

The shootouts on this map were always so great... 

There was also a very fun & popular gamemode in CoD UO called Base Assault:

"In Base Assault, both opposing factions have three bases. The objective is to use tanks, anti-tank rockets and satchel charges to destroy the outside of the base and a planted charge to destroy the inside of the base, while at the same time preventing this from happening to their own three bases."

Obviously, a total remake won't work in BAT44 as there may be no tanks or destroyable bunkers, but it's possible to make something somewhat similar. You could give each team three bombsites (those things that you need to blow up in Search and Destroy) and the first team to lose all 3 bomb sites loses the battle. You could then just set no time limit or a time limit of 1h or something, so that people don't feel all rushed up like in CoD WW2. You'll have a fun gamemode that will also have some sort of sandbox/TDM feeling in it, giving players good freedom. The relatively big size of the map will allow groups of friends and clans to use teamplay.

Edited by Firefly
  • Upvote 1

On 25/12/2017 at 6:00 PM, Firefly said:

The objective is to use tanks, anti-tank rockets and satchel charges to destroy the outside of the base and a planted charge to destroy the inside of the base, while at the same time preventing this from happening to their own three bases."

This is very similar to the dual objective mode that we have in "Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP".

On 25/12/2017 at 6:00 PM, Firefly said:

Obviously, a total remake won't work in BAT44 as there may be no tanks or destroyable bunkers

Adding animated tanks to maps in the "UE4" engine should be straightforward, there's already lots of models that we could use for this. As for the military bunkers, you need the complete bunker model, a destroyed model and a destruction/explosion animation too. All very possible on this excellent engine.

The "Hurtgen Forest" map you posted actually looks very similar to a few of the maps our Clan has created for "Day of Infamy", Firefly.

Here's a couple of links to them:

Artic Fox

Westwall

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, WolfEnstein said:

This is very similar to the dual objective mode that we have in "Return to Castle Wolfenstein MP".

Adding animated tanks to maps in the "UE4" engine should be straightforward, there's already lots of models that we could use for this. As for the military bunkers, you need the complete bunker model, a destroyed model and a destruction/explosion animation too. All very possible on this excellent engine.

The "Hurtgen Forest" map you posted actually looks very similar to a few of the maps our Clan has created for "Day of Infamy", Firefly.

Here's a couple of links to them:

Artic Fox

Westwall

Those maps look pretty good. Seems like you really know what you're doing. 

I wonder... how much time/effort does it take to make maps for this game? I remember CoD 1 had a very specific mapping tool and alot of people just made maps alone without anybody's help.

Edited by Firefly

On 26/12/2017 at 7:42 PM, Firefly said:

... how much time/effort does it take to make maps for this game?

Like most maps, a lot of time, effort and planning, Firely, even maps that are small in area.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, WolfEnstein said:

Like most maps, a lot of time, effort and planning, Firely, even maps that are small in area.

Yeah understandable

cuz ive got no idea what the cost will be. ive seen people asking nothing, and ppl asking tonnes, so i've got no clue :P

First of all, you need to decide on the map you really want to see in "BATT44", your number one choice.

Right now, the lads are repairing three maps, because the "Day of Infamy" devs always break our custom maps with just about every update they do.

Also, our mappers are working on our new version of "Carentan", which I'm really looking forward to.

1 hour ago, WolfEnstein said:

First of all, you need to decide on the map you really want to see in "BATT44", your number one choice.

Right now, the lads are repairing three maps, because the "Day of Infamy" devs always break our custom maps with just about every update they do.

Also, our mappers are working on our new version of "Carentan", which I'm really looking forward to.

Hurtgen.

And wow... it must be annoying to have your maps broken with every update :( Anyway, it's great to hear that somebody is making Carentan! Good map!

Edited by Firefly

23 hours ago, Firefly said:

... it must be annoying to have your maps broken with every update :( 

Yep, 13 maps to be repaired every time, mate, all because of some changes to their map scripts that the devteam never share with us, prior to the update.

Your choice is the "Hurtgen Forest" map then, Firefly. Leave it with me, I'll talk to the lads and then contact you on "Steam" with the news ;) .

4 minutes ago, WolfEnstein said:

Yep, 13 maps to be repaired every time, mate, all because of some changes to their map scripts that the devteam never share with us, prior to the update.

Your choice is the "Hurtgen Forest" map then, Firefly. Leave it with me, I'll talk to the lads and then contact you on "Steam" with the news ;) .

Okay, thank you. 

I'd like to add though, that I posted that I was looking for mappers in multiple places. So there is a chance that I'll let somebody else do it. 

On 30/12/2017 at 4:07 PM, Firefly said:

..............So there is a chance that I'll let somebody else do it. 

No problem, matey, choose who you like ;) .

i looking for carentan but need to restart ue4 and wait for dev info.

im starting for basic bsp and wait but need to relearn basic a lot of time on 3dsmax and two years without ue4 arff.

hey firefly that map is map is in my top tree list of maps i like the most .

me try to learn how the unreal 4 mapping tool (sdk) works total noob in this stuff fore now 

this map is what i try to make now fore some time . 

i think some of the better mappers out here on the forum can make a sick looking one  .in winter ,spring summer or autum setting.

hi,

mapper on radiant cod4, codww, bo3, 

now i am learnnig "unreal 4" tool, and I hope, oneday, to create a map for Battalion1944

• Like 2

Because I am a stickler for CoD history, Hurtgen was originally a CoD1 map and was a holdover into UO. So it has been played without vehicles and such before. Good luck on your maps guys. Looking forward to a Carentan.

On 11-2-2018 at 3:08 PM, badnewz said:

Because I am a stickler for CoD history, Hurtgen was originally a CoD1 map and was a holdover into UO. So it has been played without vehicles and such before. Good luck on your maps guys. Looking forward to a Carentan.

vehicles werent meant for that map anyway

it was just a different idea thrown into the discussion. 

I was counting on vehicles being not possible or extremely hard to implement. But if it is possible, it would fully change the idea and id probably come up with a completely different map. 

The "big idea" i talked about in another topic has nothing to do with anything i wrote in here btw. 

Edited by Firefly