Dark

Lets talk about skins

In episode 23 of The Hype, he interviews @[DEV] BRAMMERTRON about Battalion 1944. Some cool features and ideas get brought up, including "SKINS". 
Brammer says they have the idea of having an in-game store for some crates where you can buy them, so the money doesn't go to valve and can get invested into the game again. Also something about that crates will be buyable, but not skins.

On one point I agree it's better to have it seperate of steam so that indeed the creators of the game get the money. So people can buy crates not only to get a skin, but also as a form of supporting the game. This instead of supporting 30% valve for doing nothing ;) 
This was also the first idea of crates in cs:go, however this escalated slightly into gambling, trading and paying thousands of dollars for some pixels ...

On the other side however, putting your ingame stuff on the steam market, might attract more people. Not nessescary pro gamers, but it will help in a certain way to attract a bigger community.
It would also be nice then to sell your skins eventually if you decide to quit the game (which would be a shame anyway xD )

I'm really excited though to see what they are all implementing. Customizable weapon nametags, skins, stickers, facial spraypaint, tattoo's, ... it's not nessescary essential, but it gives a cool twist to things xD

What are you guys thoughts about this?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Dark said:

I'm really excited though to see what they are all implementing. Customizable weapon nametags, skins, stickers, facial spraypaint, tattoo's, ... it's not nessescary essential, but it gives a cool twist to things xD

In my opinion, such things blow up the game unnecessarily.

For most people, this is not important and even brings concern to the community. Most people are fed up with such things.

If the game gets as good as COD2 then everyone will love to pay much more than the mentioned 10, - $.

• Upvote 1

Idk what do you mean by "most people" but I have a completely different experience. I don't know anybody who doesn't like some sort of customizations. Be it skins or something they unlock by playing. It gives the game more depth and is very requested and nice option to have as long as it doesn't create a p2w situation.

I would also prefer one of these three options:

1) Connect the skins with steam market

2) Have an in-game only market but with option to trade skins like in Rocket League

3) Scrap the crate idea and allow us to buy whichever skin/s we want

The reason behind that is -> I hate not being able to buy w/e I want. And while I do understand that crates most likely generate a better profit, the game should at least give me the option to trade whatever I got and don't like for something I might actually like to use. That's why I listed these three options. Not being able to buy w/e we want and having to rely on stupid RNG is bad enough, give us at least an option to get rid of it for something better. Or let us buy whatever we want. 

One more thing. Although Valve takes around 30% from every transaction, having skins on steam market should increase the player base. And Battalion might end up with more players playing and more money at the same time. 

Edited by DarkMortyr
  • Upvote 1

How about a crate system like in overwatch?  pretty easy to get crates by just playing, and what you unlock is account bound. Unable to trade/sell it.

The problem is that in Overwatch, you never have to pay for anything and still manage to get everything in the game. And while this might work for Blizzard and their huge player base, I am not so sure this would be a good decision for Battalion.

i'd like to see skins acquired in various ways;

- skins that are linked to progression/rank

- skins that are linked to achievements/challenges

- skins that are purchased/lootcrates

i don't see why there shouldn't be a combination of all of these methods.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DarkMortyr said:

The problem is that in Overwatch, you never have to pay for anything and still manage to get everything in the game. And while this might work for Blizzard and their huge player base, I am not so sure this would be a good decision for Battalion.

Blizzard has crates that you can buy, which gets done a lot ;) 

21 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

i'd like to see skins acquired in various ways;

Sure, there might be. But from my experience skins acquired by progression, rank, achievements and challenges are usually only some basic / lower quality. 

Those eye catchy are mostly in lootcrates. And sure, it might not be a case in Battalion (hard to believe tho), but this specific part should be imho made by the example I described. 

14 minutes ago, Dark said:

Blizzard has crates that you can buy

But there is close to no point of doing that if you don't have a need to burn some spare money or you are unable to grind for a specific skin during some event. 

You can get everything for free. Even every single event item and you can also buy the rest on top of that. And it's not even that hard or takes that long to get what you want.

And once again, this might work for Blizzard with huge player base. Not so sure about Battalion.

Edited by DarkMortyr

Ye .. , so if you could sell the skins on the steam market , it will attract players , BUT it will blow as he said the game , most likely into cs, it's a good idea after all but if you could unlock skins for like achievements , and like hours , this WILL make it balancing for people who don't got a lot of money. 

Or everyday you'll get a free change to get a free skin out of a crate.

1 minute ago, ghcts said:

Ye .. , so if you could sell the skins on the steam market , it will attract players , BUT it will blow as he said the game , most likely into cs, it's a good idea after all but if you could unlock skins for like achievements , and like hours , this WILL make it balancing for people who don't got a lot of money. 

But that's the entire point, if people with "not a lot of money" can just get them by playing, why would people with " a lot of money" spend their money on it if they can get it just as easy as them. 

I don't see any problem in some buy only items. As long as they don't give you any benefits playing. 

On the other side: I like to have a cool skin everybody wants and you can only unlock it by grinding the game A LOT.. So hard to get ;)

21 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

On the other side: I like to have a cool skin everybody wants and you can only unlock it by grinding the game A LOT.. So hard to get ;)

exactly. this game is going to appeal to players from WW2 enthusiasts to casuals to progression grinders to hardcore competitive. one system is not going to cater to all of them. the skins that unlock with progression don't need to be top tier because they're valued by the player as a sign of what they have achieved in the game. the player that wants the more desirable skins to show off can pay for them because those type of players cannot resist the temptation to open their wallets so i say let them.   

• Upvote 1

I think to buy things it's going to divide the community.
Many people are fed up with all the commerce.
If you refrained from that, you would stand out from the crowd.
Edited by Don Camillo

I think it's really  cool idea to see that you like get skins for achievements for example like 850 kills with the Thompson will give you like a achievement skin that you won't being able to trade or something.. or a skin like only EA people could get.

Edited by ghcts

Having a market to re sell the skins, especially rare stuff is a big deal, it creates hype as well as a gambling aspect(like it or dont) that attracts people to it and helps to re invest money into other skins.

Look at most recent example, pubg, you got skirts worth $500+, you got gamescom crates $8-$10 per crate.... I bought my crates from in game currency, now i can re sell them to make money i can do what i want with... Thats attractive part, its not the main part someone would buy the game for, but its 1 part of it.

Sure having a skin is all fun and all, but if i cant re sell it, or trade it to my friends, or say look, i have a skin worth $500, im a big baller, then what is the point of it all? 

I think if you cant trade/sell it, its a big let down and the wrong move. There is a reason why dota2/LoL/csgo/pubg(soon to come) make ton of money on loot boxes/skins, and i would love to see battalion in that category with those big boys.

If i am completely honest, if the game is good enough, i could care less if the have skins or not. If they do, I would not buy them for money, and i would not specifically grind kills or head shots or whatever, it would just happens when it happens. Skins dont interest me that much.

• Upvote 1

From what I've seen online, there will be skins and other customisation options/items as you say but there will also be microtransactions. I have to say, I'm really not fan of microtransactions but I understand that the game needs to be supports somehow.

At battlefield, many players often do not play for the team, but they sometimes play only to get a personal award. the consequence is that the gameplay is disturbed for everyone. I think you know what I mean. the whole crap very often destroys the balance and ultimately the fun of the game.

17 minutes ago, Don Camillo said:

At battlefield, many players often do not play for the team, but they sometimes play only to get a personal award. the consequence is that the gameplay is disturbed for everyone. I think you know what I mean. the whole crap very often destroys the balance and ultimately the fun of the game.

Pretty sure this game won't have achievements and such

On 20-12-2017 at 11:45 PM, HypeRNT said:

Having a market to re sell the skins, especially rare stuff is a big deal, it creates hype as well as a gambling aspect(like it or dont) that attracts people to it and helps to re invest money into other skins.

Look at most recent example, pubg, you got skirts worth $500+, you got gamescom crates $8-$10 per crate.... I bought my crates from in game currency, now i can re sell them to make money i can do what i want with... Thats attractive part, its not the main part someone would buy the game for, but its 1 part of it.

Sure having a skin is all fun and all, but if i cant re sell it, or trade it to my friends, or say look, i have a skin worth $500, im a big baller, then what is the point of it all? 

I think if you cant trade/sell it, its a big let down and the wrong move. There is a reason why dota2/LoL/csgo/pubg(soon to come) make ton of money on loot boxes/skins, and i would love to see battalion in that category with those big boys.

Most people dislike the microtrans for lootboxes etc, and those transactions our now being investigated by an gambling committee. The game needs to have some win-percentage or income, but I would suggest that you can ''grind'' for the skin or easy buy it. Don't make exclusive skins that only money can buy...

And when buying lootboxes make sure having a warning installed for younger kids etc. to not and try to rip them off.

Edited by Xtreem

2 hours ago, Xtreem said:

Most people dislike the microtrans for lootboxes etc, and those transactions our now being investigated by an gambling committee. The game needs to have some win-percentage or income, but I would suggest that you can ''grind'' for the skin or easy buy it. Don't make exclusive skins that only money can buy...

And when buying lootboxes make sure having a warning installed for younger kids etc. to not and try to rip them off.

I mean all that is well known ever since the battlefront debacle. They can investigate them, but im sure this process will take a long time, and even if it gets banned in some third world country i dont think it will matter to them much unless this goes global wide, which with lawyers and court systems will probably be years before its fully shutdown if that is their decision.

As for the kids needing a warning, kids dont have a credit card... so they have to either get parent permission to use their card, or use it without permission in which case a warning will be pointless. Its not like people dont know what they are buying... its a pretty simple concept.

I would love to earn loot boxes for playing the game, no problems with that, im just saying if there is going to be skins, i would love for them to actually be worth something, so that if i get lucky by opening a loot box, i get some crazy skin, there are things i can do with it, that is freedom of choice, getting something that turns my gun blue but i cant trade or sell them and it has no worth is not very exciting.

I think csgo/dota/LoL have this stuff down, and i think part of their success is because of the loot boxes and different choices you can do once you get that special skin, besides it being nice to look at. If battalion is to be treated as legit game that has skins/loot boxes, i think it needs to go csgo route, i think it needs to have rare skins, expensive skins, but all visual and no other benefit, and being able to sell those things AND compete for skins from some tournaments, a $500 skin for 5 ppl can generate activity pretty easily.

Edited by HypeRNT