Firefly

[wall of text] Will this be the game I've been looking for?

So apparently, there is a couple of people in this community who are advertising the game in the steam discussions of other games, such as CoD WW2. Well, I'm one of the people who learned about Battalion 1944 from somebody who did that :D

I watched the pre-announcement trailer, and then opened a new topic in the steam discussions, mainly about clans. brammertron was very quick to answer, which was pretty impressive. 

I started gaming when I was a little kid... Call of Duty 1 (primarily the United Offensive expansion pack) was pretty much the first thing I played. It was simple, yet so impressive. There were server lists. I found one with a good looking map, named Foy. Big impressive map, granting you alot of freedom and options. Match took 45 minutes. No exp system or leaderboards, so you could join/quit anytime. It was all about enjoying the game. And with such thing came a great feeling of community... The regular players on that server were more than just random players. They were a community. I quickly made tonnes of friends, and started to add them to my friends list on the ancient xfire program. We started coming on the server together, we functioned more and more as a clan. Sometimes we would take the church in the center, and type in the chat to our opponents: "we are in the church, come and get us if you can!". What followed was a 30 minutes onslaught around the church. And this is only a part of the story... 

Each server was like a different "culture" and that was pretty interesting. There were alot of interesting game modes too. For example, there was this game mode called Base Assault. Each team started with 3 bunkers. Around each team's spawn, there were a few unoccupied tanks & rocket launchers. Goal of the game: destroy the opponent's bunkers, get down into the basement, plant explosives, and blow up the basement. SO MUCH FUN AND TACTICS! There were also alot of player-developed custom game modes, like rifle only or zombie mod. The zombie mode was pretty interesting. Everyone spawned as a soldier. After 1 minute, 1 zombie was chosen at random. The zombie had 1000% health, could punch and throw body parts. The soldiers had to survive as long as possible. Each time a soldier got killed, he became a zombie. This was one of the best things I ever played, especially if you add it to the community/culture feeling I mentioned earlier. Eventually, I started developing my own custom maps for this server. Downloading custom maps and mods was pretty easy for the players by the way. You didn't have to go to websites and move 3 million different files. In fact, you didn't have to do anything. Custom maps and mods were automatically downloaded in the game at the beginning of the round. 

Me and my group of players made friends on other servers/communties, and sometimes we decided to organise Clan Wars against each other. "a server will be setup for the clan war. The IP is xxxx. Be there with your players by 8pm and the fun will start". The way the maps were designed, the availability of jeeps, tanks etc made it all very interesting. 

My days in that game were epic. The game turned me into a true teamplayer. 

A long time later, I started to play World of Tanks. I still play it. What really stands out is its clan and clan wars system. Joining a clan isn't just writing [CLANTAG] behind your name and being on the same teamspeak. It's much more. There is an extensive clan system. When you join a clan, a permanent clan chat appears in your garage (let's just call it the main menu, the first thing you see when you log into the game, if you don't understand what I mean). There you can see all online clan members, chat with them, join a normal battle with them whenever you want, etc. 

Anyway, what really matters is the Clan Wars system in the game. And the "Strongholds" equivalent, which is pretty much the same if you think about it. Well, let's talk about strongholds first. Strongholds is where clans can battle each other at almost any time. You create a party, invite your clan members to it, and then click FIND BATTLE. The system will match you up against another clan that went through the same process. You can do this anytime. You can start/stop whenever you want. Pretty simple, interesting and tactical. I think this type of system could easily be implemented in any type of FPS game as well. 

The clan wars system, however, is next level epicness. It's a sandbox. There is a map of Europe, divided into provinces. Each province grants the treasury of your clan in-game currency, that the clan leader can distribute to the players. The goal? To take provinces with your clan. What this leads to is amazing. You got clans trying to take 1-2 provinces for fun, you got serious clans trying to build 20 province empires, you got clans forming alliances and declaring wars. It's very diplomatic and competitive. A nice way to demonstrate what your clan is really made of. You can pick your opponent too. If you see a clan that you dislike (or just a clan you want to prove something to) owning provinces, you can try to go for that. It greatly increases competition. It gives people incentive to put in more time and effort.

Well, that's a big wall of text. If you made it so far, I salute you. 

So to the point now... what would I like to see in this game?

- Server lists. Cod 1 was a very good and original game. But now... every CoD is the same. Having server lists, communities, server admins etc etc makes a game diverse and increases the chance that a player will find something that he likes within the game. This all leads to a healthier player base and also a consistent player base, because of all the communities. 

- Possibility for server admins to put custom game modes and maps into their servers.

- Well developed, relatively big maps (bigger than the latest CoD maps). Maps that aren't all about 3 corridors. Maps that aren't as big as your bedroom. 

- A couple of jeeps/tanks lying around on the biggest maps (again... server owners can choose to enable/disable this)

- A couple of interesting game modes like Base Assault I mentioned earlier, beside standard ones like TDM.

- Extensive clan system (again... leads to better community feeling and makes the game more interesting. I'd log on even if I didn't intend to play)

- Probably, a CW system as I explained is too much to ask for a FPS, but you could definitely implement an equivalent of the Strongholds I talked about. 

You talk about the roots of gaming. In my eyes, this is it, with a nice addition. 

18 hours ago, Firefly said:

- Server lists. Cod 1 was a very good and original game. But now... every CoD is the same. Having server lists, communities, server admins etc etc makes a game diverse and increases the chance that a player will find something that he likes within the game. This all leads to a healthier player base and also a consistent player base, because of all the communities. 

^There will be a server browser!

- Possibility for server admins to put custom game modes and maps into their servers.

^Confirmed!

- Well developed, relatively big maps (bigger than the latest CoD maps). Maps that aren't all about 3 corridors. Maps that aren't as big as your bedroom.

^They are going for small/medium maps.. the community can make their own big maps ;)

- A couple of jeeps/tanks lying around on the biggest maps (again... server owners can choose to enable/disable this)

^There are no vehicles in the game (that you can use)

- A couple of interesting game modes like Base Assault I mentioned earlier, beside standard ones like TDM.

^Maybe (just maybe) the community can make something like that, but will not be standard in the game.

- Extensive clan system (again... leads to better community feeling and makes the game more interesting. I'd log on even if I didn't intend to play)

^I don't know about this, but mr Brammer said something about implemented clanbase....

But WELCOME btw :P

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

^There will be a server browser!

^Confirmed!

^They are going for small/medium maps.. the community can make their own big maps ;)

^There are no vehicles in the game (that you can use)

^Maybe (just maybe) the community can make something like that, but will not be standard in the game.

^I don't know about this, but mr Brammer said something about implemented clanbase....

But WELCOME btw :P

Hey WeAsOne,

Thank you for your nice response. 

Well, the fact that there is going to be a server list and that there is a modders section on the forums is already a good sign! Hopefully old memories will return. 

I heard about the clan base. Sounds pretty good. Hopefully, more information about it will be available soon. 

11 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

Keep an eye open on January 9th and the time after ;)

Will surely do. Although the earlier I have info, the better. Because if this game is going to be "the one", I'm gonna start gathering my friends and also will reserve money for this. 

15 minutes ago, Firefly said:

also will reserve money for this. 

15 Dollars.. 11 Pounds.. 12/13 Euros..

So that would not be too hard :P

1 minute ago, WeAsOne said:

I mean money for servers, money to pay modders, etc

Edited by Firefly

On 20/12/2017 at 1:35 AM, WeAsOne said:

I'd pay a lot more money than that to have a game with dedicated servers and mod tools :D, this games what we have all been waiting for... so refreshing.

• Upvote 1

On 3-1-2018 at 8:48 AM, mattske said:

I'd pay a lot more money than that to have a game with dedicated servers and mod tools :D, this games what we have all been waiting for... so refreshing.

yes I agree. It sounds like that this game will be the full package. COD ww2 is worth 20-25$ in my opinion. 

If the bat1944 devs deliver on what they promised, I'd be willing to pay at least 60$ for the game. However, I understand why they're putting the price so low. They're starting something "new". They want to get alot of people aboard. Hopefully, it will become successful, so that they can confidently develop updates and more games.