Beergogglesftw

Please don't over-design the maps

COD maps for the last few years have become a mess. Just small clusters. Low skill gap. Random deaths. You have to keep your head on a swivel.

Ya give them a well designed map like Carentan in their COD game, and they complain people just hang out in windows and camp building. They play COD4:MW Remastered and they call it a "campfest."

Don't try to please these players. They don't know what good map design is. It will cripple this game if it plays like a new Call of Duty game.

Imo, it should be heavily influenced by classic COD maps, and maps like dust2 and mirage for the reasons found here: 

• Upvote 4

Exactly the reason why toujane was the most popular and main cod2 map. Very bright and easy to see an enemy. Very simple etc. Even thou I most liked mp_dawnville :) Most likely the most strategic map ever!

• Like 1

I can't agree more.
The massive amount of debris everywhere, the camo outfits of the players, the too detailed maps make it almost impossible to spot people. In cod ww2 for example there are plenty of spots where people can just lay down in the floor and just spray down people running by because nobody sees them... 

Of course all houses beeing empty, no carpets, posters, lamps, plants, ... isn't realistic, but there is a difference between a realistic game and a competitive shooter...

Well, i think in this day and age you can achieve clean maps yet still have them looking good with a bit of art behind them. As long as there isnt flying debris and tired rolling thru roads and dust flying in the air we are fine, im fine with having trees and some cars for cover here and there. 

Most of these old school maps are just that, old school its why they are loved so much because everyone is used to them and something new is just that, something new which most times means bad to try to have to learn new things.

I just hope the maps are good for SnD, and competitive, i dont want huge maps, and i sure as hell dont want trenches all over the place like the (alpha test map) which i know is most likely only for testing, but really, no trench maps please even if it is ww2.

At the end of the day, if the game plays good and functions properly, im sure the maps will become normal to us and we will enjoy 80% of them, we all know in every game there are maps that people wont play on dedi servers/ they will be removed from rotation just like in cod2/cod4/counter strike, not to mention we can always make our own with mod tools provided, so to me the game itself is the most important, maps are easy part(IMO).

Edited by HypeRNT

Post EGX Rezzed Pre-Alpha Changes: 

1. Visual Fidelity/Environments:

We have always gone into making Battalion with the intent of making it look as great as it can without compromising gameplay. One of the most important aspects of classic games is their performance and clear and clutter free visuals within their level design, so we decided to take the route of opting for smooth gameplay and high frame rates over performance hampering visual effects. Our aim was to create a game that feels fluid to play and we feel like we have achieved that.

In short; we’re retaining gameplay essential characteristics such as clearly visible players; smooth. high frame rates and overall reducing the amount of clutter within the levels. There may be some lighting and post processing tweaks but the video was pretty representative of the direction Battalion is taking; performance first.

Our intent of prioritising performance is working out well as our frame rates on EGX’s supplied PCs hitting 144fps easily and when unlocked reaching over 300. High focus on performance is transferring well over to the console test builds too, and we’re expecting high results from the console version of the game.

Note: User Interface and third person animations were ALL work in progress.

c+ped from BigTuna from the EGX thread

• Upvote 1

I love Cod 1 maps...

brecourt, carentan, dawnville, depot, harbor, hurtgen (omg yes!), pavlov, pow camp, railyard, rocket, stalingrad, cassino, foy (favourite!!), sicily, kharkov, kursk, ponyri, rhine valley, stanjel...

such good memories...

• Upvote 1

I just hope they will not copy or try to make a  and rather make their own style that will become new classics :)

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Somewhat clear maps, yes definitely, designed like CS, no, and thankfully it doesn't look like they are. It doesn't need to be cluttered like a out of the box mp_Crash from cod4, that's too much, but cod always had faster gameplay where movement was an whole extra dimension to the gameplay compared to something like cs which plays a lot different, even when sprint wasn't a factor. (one of the reasons being movement & leaning, another one layout, another one gun-handling etc.)

Being able to move around some obstacles like boxes etc is vital, having it extremely clean like cs just makes for a whole other type of gameplay with a lot less options for creativity. Cod1 and 2 did not have "cs clean maps". 

• Upvote 1

I’m sure the devs know how important visibility is for a map in Battalion, as well as having opportunities to utilise your movmement in a creative manner with all the stuff that you can jump onto etc. A map like Coastal for example has plenty of that.