RevoluT.    13

I've seen a couple discussions about price, but my question is a little more open.

I'd like to know if they intend to follow CSGO price strategy or normal games strategy.

Thanks.

onyx    2

on kickstarter it says "Regular Retail £30"
although i wouldn't quite understand why people would get hung up on if they pay 20 or 40 or whatever.
i imagine most will play at least hundreds of hours and the competitive ones thousands ;) 
And comparing it with a release like CS:GO with someone like Valve behind it is just unfair. 

• Upvote 1

RevoluT.    13

The comparison is valid, CSGO is a multiplayer based game just like Battalion pretends to be.

The price strategy is very important, a competitive game benefits from lots of people playing it, if you charge too much you will have high margins but fewer sales and the opposite happens when you charge a few bucks like CSGO does.

30 EUR in brazil is 109 BRL, it will still face a couple different taxes and will easily reach 150 BRL, the minimum wage in Brazil is around 900-1000 BRL and the game would cost 15% of that wage.

Of course, this is only 1 example, but you get the idea. If you know SK gaming(one of the best CSGO teams and also Brazilian), some of them could barely afford a living, they even asked for donations to be able to travel, if CSGO were to cost 30 euros some of them would not be where they are today.

• Upvote 1

onyx    2

that's very understandable. that's why regional pricing exists and is well implemented into steam. there are over 20 different regionrelated prices they can set.
But you don't get my point what's the flaw in the logic comparing bat44 to csgo.
You take Valve that owns Steam and has like unlimited resources, just had to rerelease the same game for like the 4th time or whatever, getting insane amounts of money coming in through the steam community market with a small developer like Bulkhead. And every kid on the planet knows Counter Strike ;D
So you have to understand why CS is as cheap as it is and not everyone just can do as Valve does.

RAFF    104
45 minutes ago, onyx said:

that's very understandable. that's why regional pricing exists and is well implemented into steam. there are over 20 different regionrelated prices they can set.
But you don't get my point what's the flaw in the logic comparing bat44 to csgo.
You take Valve that owns Steam and has like unlimited resources, just had to rerelease the same game for like the 4th time or whatever, getting insane amounts of money coming in through the steam community market with a small developer like Bulkhead. And every kid on the planet knows Counter Strike ;D
So you have to understand why CS is as cheap as it is and not everyone just can do as Valve does.

The price tag might encourage people to buy more than one copy for themselves, most CS:GO players own at least two accounts. The discussion is much more broad than it seems, but all in all I think the pricetag should not exceed 18-20 euros.

• Upvote 1

Farq-S    371
7 hours ago, RAFF said:

The price tag might encourage people to buy more than one copy for themselves, most CS:GO players own at least two accounts. The discussion is much more broad than it seems, but all in all I think the pricetag should not exceed 18-20 euros.

i can't see it being as cheap as 18-20 euro. i wouldn't want to speculate on the price at this stage as i wouldn't want to set myself up for disappointment. remember, bulkhead is a UK company so operate in GBP so 20 euro is about £15. that is ridiculously cheap for a multiplayer game with dedicated servers and good quality anti-cheat. 

DarkMortyr    79

If it was f2p, there would most likely be a lot more issues with cheaters.

I expect it somewhere around 30€. But I don't really care as long as developers have enough finances to keep working on the game and the player base won't be super low. 

At the end, it's not like Bulkhead and Battalion can survive just on sales, they need something from a long-term point of view.

Edited by DarkMortyr

Farq-S    371
7 hours ago, Connard said:

I just hope that it will not be a F2P, and that there will be no micro-transaction other than cosmetics.

how could a game that got kickstarter funding be F2P? makes no sense.

Farq-S    371
47 minutes ago, Connard said:

i understand that but it would have to be F2P from the outset or they'd have to refund many of the backers. a F2P game is way cheaper from the consumer's viewpoint than a full release. speaking personally, if Bat44 went F2P i'd ask for a refund of my kickstarter and take my chances paying for cosmetics when the game releases.

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 3

j6k4    11

so you say they could afford a decent PC which costs a few/several hundreads of Euros but could not afford a game which would cost €30-50? 

but yeh, the price strategy is important indeed. Bulkhead would probably have to hit the ideal sweetspot to make enough money to sutain themselves long term and keep the game going with patches/updates/reworks/changes/events etc and still profit but also make it affordable and less off putting for casual gamers because they will make up the majority of the player base. 

RAFF    104
1 hour ago, j6k4 said:

so you say they could afford a decent PC which costs a few/several hundreads of Euros but could not afford a game which would cost €30-50? 

but yeh, the price strategy is important indeed. Bulkhead would probably have to hit the ideal sweetspot to make enough money to sutain themselves long term and keep the game going with patches/updates/reworks/changes/events etc and still profit but also make it affordable and less off putting for casual gamers because they will make up the majority of the player base. 

Spoken like a true first world person. 

Yes, after spending  2 years saving up for a PC, I will not give away the savings I make in a month or two for a game. Also chances are people are not only invested in battalion, they might want to buy and play something else too. So yeah, some people can't afford 50e for a game.

j6k4    11
9 hours ago, RAFF said:

Spoken like a true first world person. 

Yes, after spending  2 years saving up for a PC, I will not give away the savings I make in a month or two for a game. Also chances are people are not only invested in battalion, they might want to buy and play something else too. So yeah, some people can't afford 50e for a game.

A lot of people can't afford a €50 game. That's obvious. Such a high price tag would put me off as well for most games, but not for Battalion. On a wider scale if you look at PS4/Xbox1, that's how much they have to pay for a new game and even more in most cases. I am not saying how much Battalion should or shouldn't cost on each platform and region because speculating it would be pointless. Honestly, I would be surprised if it costs more than €30. Anyway, it's not me nor you who decides that. We decide whether we buy the product or not. Keep in mind not every studio can afford to run a F2P game and be able to sustain itself long term. And F2P FPS games are flooded with cheaters. 

I personally wouldn't pay €30/€40/€50 just for any game, PC or console unless it was already a hit or has long term potential something we all hope Battalion is about, it's a unique project, something promising. 

People have different ways of how they spend money on games, someone might prefer to buy 5 different games for €10 rather than one for €40-50 that's their choice.

Nobody is forcing you to spend your savings on a game. You can spend them as you wish. 

IMG_3676.JPG

Dark    25

I don't expect a COD style price. 
For the simple reason that COD is a huge title, it's very known, it's famous, it has a giant fanbase... Same with Battlefield. This is the reason imo why they charge their players loads and loads of moneys for DLC's and their new games.

They have people playing it anyway! Why lower the price 50% to get 10% more players? 

For Battalion I expect a pricing like Rust, ARK, PUBG... Those games all entered steam in EA and all had pricings between 20 and 40 Euro's. I think that's a fair price, and would attract the biggest player base. 
Launching a brand new game (series) with starting prices at 60-70 euro's don't get many people attracted to the game at start. People don't know the game yet! Would anyone spend 70 euro on something they don't know?

Maybe later down if they decide to create a battalion 1945? lol idk, then It could be smart to up the price.

PERSONAL OPINION 

DarkMortyr    79

Well, that's why it's not a bad idea to have an open beta at some point. One or two free weekends would be enough. So people can try the game and make up their minds. A lot of popular games had some sort of public beta before release.

• Upvote 2

Dark    25
44 minutes ago, grizzgolf said:

I want to toss my money on steam at it

We all do :) 

DEEZH    0

On one hand it shouldn't be too cheap so it won't end like cs:go, hackers buy accs over and over again even when they get banned in a matter of days.

But on the other hand if it is too expensive there will be no real community at least not at the start.

Edited by DEEZH

HypeRNT    3

i mean honestly in 2017 even 50 bucks i would not consider too expensive, i mean ppl are spending thousands on games like madden, buying ships for star citizen and players and gold for games like runescape, a one time fee personally to me is nothing out of the realm of understanding.

Id pay double what current cod's cost if it means i will have a game that was made on pc and for pc running smooth and having actual support features that PC games need, such as dedi servers and mod tools, the price is a small thing to pay to get things that are very hard to come by these days.

Zane    24
1 hour ago, HypeRNT said:

i mean honestly in 2017 even 50 bucks i would not consider too expensive, i mean ppl are spending thousands on games like madden, buying ships for star citizen and players and gold for games like runescape, a one time fee personally to me is nothing out of the realm of understanding.

Id pay double what current cod's cost if it means i will have a game that was made on pc and for pc running smooth and having actual support features that PC games need, such as dedi servers and mod tools, the price is a small thing to pay to get things that are very hard to come by these days.

It's true, but people don't usually buy just 1 game, so 50€ for a new game they've never heard about may be too much, i think a proce between 20/30€ would be good for everyone. Titanfall 2 even tho it's a really good AAA fps, launched at 60€ when CoD and Bf1 came out, people had to choose and the game failed for this reason

HypeRNT    3
3 hours ago, Zane said:

It's true, but people don't usually buy just 1 game, so 50€ for a new game they've never heard about may be too much, i think a proce between 20/30€ would be good for everyone. Titanfall 2 even tho it's a really good AAA fps, launched at 60€ when CoD and Bf1 came out, people had to choose and the game failed for this reason

i mean if people are willing to buy multiple games then a $50 price tag is nothing special.. i mean its an expected price for a ps4 game these days.. Obv as a customer i would love to pay as little as i can, but just speaking in general terms, if someone told me the price tag was $50, i would say, ok cool, and im sure it will be under that im just trying to emphasize the normality of that price tag.

As for titalfall, i think the price tag made perfect sense, like you said its a AAA fps game, i think people are just not as excited about modern warfare type combat as well as like you said it came into competition with cod and bf which is basically suicide for any other franchise to launch an fps game with in that time frame.

Overall, personally myself i am not worried about the price tag at all, i would predict that it will be at $29.99, regardless, im a competitive player and all i really are about is how polished the game is for an Esport, id pay a lot more then $50 for a game like that, but thats just me.

DarkMortyr    79

It's never only about price alone. It's about people being able to try the game before they pay for it. So they know the price is justified. They are more likely to buy something, when they can try it first and they leave with a good impression from that.