DustMouret

An interview with phantasy!

In this episode of The Hype I sit down with phantasy to talk more about Battalion 1944. We touch on his background as a pro Call of Duty player, his initial thoughts on the game, his impact on it's early development, his recent employment and new role towards the game, etc. Topics by time:

0:00 - Introduction.

2:05 - Phantasy's background in PC gaming and competitive play.

6:35 - Here we focus in a bit more on phantasy's time playing Call of Duty 4 professionally on PC.

12:50 - Here we focus on what phantasy was doing alongside being a player. We also talk about what he has done since ending his career playing (for now). We talk on his background in game design and how he got into content creation on Twitch and YouTube. We also touch on his brief ventures into other competitive PC titles.

22:00 - We shift to phantasy's early involvement with Battalion 1944 prior to becoming an employee. How did he get involved? What was he up to? We touch on initial reactions, the impact phantasy had on early game development, the first Alpha, etc. 

46:50 - Here we talk about how and why phantasy became an employee working on Battalion 1944, what he actually does on a day to day basis for the game, etc. 

54:50 - Does phantasy always want to be an employee or return to playing?

55:42 - Here we talk about the second alpha for Battalion 1944! We discuss some of the changes and goals for this alpha as well as what is coming next!

1:06:30 - We shift the conversation back over to Battalion 1944 being an esport. Is there room for it? How will it work? Where does fit in inside of the esports space?

1:15:30 - What does phantasy think about the future of Battalion 1944? What final thoughts does he want to sure with the community?

Edited by DustMouret
  • Upvote 6

@DustMouret

Nice interview, maybe try to squeeze these guys about when they are going to open up the kickstarter so that more players could purchase in. :)

I love their movement speed change, i really do want this game to feel promodish but with cod2 weapons, because i think promod was such a great Esports mod that activision simply failed to capitalize on.

If this game keeps its core values, such as aiming to be an Esports SnD 5v5 game, then it should def grab a lot of people. I was surprised that none of you guys mentioned that some people dont like CS because it simply does not feature "aiming in sights"(only some guns) mode, as well as being a very slow paced game. 

Reason i liked cod was because i could aim in sights and actually get rewarded for hitting people rather then trying to follow a spray pattern like CS. 

Games like quake/overwatch too me are simply too fast and i dont like that era of warfare, which i think a lot of people are the same, its why cod4 was so great because it was pretty realistic at the time.

If this game can market itself properly, have a lil bit of fluff(track stats/skins/loot crates?) that most people these days look for and focus most of their energy of competitive E sports shooter that is properly balanced, it will attract all the player base i spoke of, the "its too fast" people the "aiming down sights" people, and overall 5v5 SnD guys that arent into tdm/ctf, and i hope Phantasy can help them with some of these issues coming from cod4 promod.

Edited by HypeRNT

Keep it up @DustMouret, really enjoyable interviews so far !

Maybe you could make a thread where people give you ideas for topics to discuss with the devs/phan.

7 hours ago, HypeRNT said:

Nice interview, maybe try to squeeze these guys about when they are going to open up the kickstarter so that more players could purchase in. :)

The faster you will understand that you won't get the game before early access the better. Also kickstarter was ages ago, you are still not updated on the facts as you were on day 1 of your post

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, Zero_1 said:

The faster you will understand that you won't get the game before early access the better. Also kickstarter was ages ago, you are still not updated on the facts as you were on day 1 of your post

Ok wanabe dev, the fact that they already had bram on video talking about having talks with his guys to open up more packages for people to buy into completely shits on your idiotic post. Go back to infinite warfare forums making where you belong

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Zero_1 said:

i don't think this even needs to be said @Zero_1. 

just going by what was said in this interview we know Bulkhead had to replace the QA team because they weren't up to the job and change their original plan to have regular alpha weekend testing because they couldn't keep up with the updates required to fix the bugs and glitches thrown up from alpha 0.1. the last thing they'll want to do is open the alpha up to more players that will require more resource and more time that they already don't have. if they weren't getting good quality feedback from the alpha maybe it would be a different story and they'd increase the size of the alpha but it doesn't look like they need to do that.

phantasy has unique qualities that he brings to Bat44 so i'm not surprised they got him on the team. his involvement will only make this game better.

Edited by Farq-S

56 minutes ago, HypeRNT said:

Ok wanabe dev, the fact that they already had bram on video talking about having talks with his guys to open up more packages for people to buy into completely shits on your idiotic post. Go back to infinite warfare forums making where you belong

Kids these days, raging coz mommy didn't gave them a key to play Lol.

2 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

just going by what was said in this interview we know Bulkhead had to replace the QA team because they weren't up to the job and change their original plan to have regular alpha weekend testing because they couldn't keep up with the updates required to fix the bugs and glitches thrown up from alpha 0.1. the last thing they'll want to do is open the alpha up to more players that will require more resource and more time that they already don't have. if they weren't getting good quality feedback from the alpha maybe it would be a different story and they'd increase the size of the alpha but it doesn't look like they need to do that.

I know that bro , but who will take the responsibility of teaching hypeRNT that crying on forums won't give him a key.

2 minutes ago, Zero_1 said:

Kids these days, raging coz mommy didn't gave them a key to play Lol.

I know that bro , but who will take the responsibility of teaching hypeRNT that crying on forums won't give him a key.

i'm sure your time is probably better spent elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Farq-S said:

phantasy has unique qualities that he brings to Bat44 so i'm not surprised they got him on the team. his involvement will only make this game better.

New buyers would fill in those empty servers that we had, which I don't mind (do you?). There's not much of a downside to allowing people to buy in the alpha one more time, besides maybe if they fear the game would suffer and people being dissapointed with the state of the gmae (which I really think would not be the case).

It'd also bring more funding to hire people that could help with the development of the game, people like phan. I`d personally really love to see them bring someone from CSGO over, maybe one of the french players that tested the game in Cologne.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, DustMouret said:

LOL. I fixed the first post. Should see it now!

Great snipp Dust :)

1 hour ago, RAFF said:

New buyers would fill in those empty servers that we had, which I don't mind (do you?). There's not much of a downside to allowing people to buy in the alpha one more time, besides maybe if they fear the game would suffer and people being dissapointed with the state of the gmae (which I really think would not be the case).

It'd also bring more funding to hire people that could help with the development of the game, people like phan. I`d personally really love to see them bring someone from CSGO over, maybe one of the french players that tested the game in Cologne.

I think somebody of the CoD2 scene would be better like a TeK9.Davy or something so you have the best of both worlds with phantasy mostly comming from a CoD4 background.

Edited by dodged

1 hour ago, RAFF said:

i see your point @RAFF, so that leaves the question of why they haven't opened up the alpha to more players? they must have very good reasons otherwise they would've done it by now. i don't think they're worried about more people seeing the state of the game. it's an alpha after all. my guess is they don't have enough capacity to go through all the feedback from alpha 0.1 as quickly as they would like. the QA team they brought in obviously let them down so maybe they're going for quality over quantity. they've said more than once that their alphas are real alphas and not just a marketing tactic to sell more games.

Edited by Farq-S

28 minutes ago, dodged said:

I think somebody of the CoD2 scene would be better like a TeK9.Davy or something so you have the best of both worlds with phantasy mostly comming from a CoD4 background.

He's been playing since vCod so dunno if that's really accurate

4 minutes ago, pukiz said:

He's been playing since vCod so dunno if that's really accurate

Thats why i said "mostly comming from a CoD4 background"
I think phantasy was on the top of cod4 competitive scene and davy was on the top of the cod2 competitive scene and since this game aspires to be a mix between it it would make alot of sense to involve somebody like him rather then a cs pro player.

Edited by dodged