cablama

Battalion 1918!

cablama    1

WW1, comes out Nov. 11 2018 at 11 oclock for 100 year aniversery and mastalga!....discuss. ;)

Edited by cablama

HypeRNT    3

on another topic that kinda relates to this one, how would people feel if the next battalion game, 2 years from the release of this one was in the cod4 era? Lets assume the first one was a success, would you prefer it follows some sort of a timeline like vietnam next, or skip to AK's/cod4 era based guns?

I loved where cod4 was at in terms of weapons/maps, and i would believe that devs that are working with the community and are focused on a competitive game would accomplish much more then cod4 ever did, it just depends if the community would be willing to leave WW2 era.

• Upvote 1

DarkMortyr    79

Who says there will be another Battalion? That's nonsense. If you want to create a good competitive game, you simply do not plan to create a sequel. You would be effectively creating another CoD. Look what games we have on eSport. How many of them have a sequel? And how old is that sequel already? You know, if you manage to create a good competitive game, you spend your time on perfecting that game. 

HypeRNT    3

every competitive game has a sequel so im not sure what game you are talking about, but please enlighten us on which game is a popular E sport that does not have a sequel and league of legends does not count since its in a genre filled with clones. Counter strike has plenty of sequels, so does quake, unreal tournament, you turned what could have been an intelligent post into a brain fart.

seekax    167
6 hours ago, HypeRNT said:

every competitive game has a sequel so im not sure what game you are talking about, but please enlighten us on which game is a popular E sport that does not have a sequel and league of legends does not count since its in a genre filled with clones. Counter strike has plenty of sequels, so does quake, unreal tournament, you turned what could have been an intelligent post into a brain fart.

Counter strike hasn't had a sequel in 5 years and probably won't have a sequel for quite some time. UT isn't even competitive anymore and wasn't predominantly developed as a competitive game. On top of that the business model of competitive games isn't the same as what it was 10 years ago, the funding now mainly comes from cosmetics so it makes a lot more sense to continue development on a game. Unless this game completely dies there won't be a successor for the next 5 years minimum.

Which competitive game out there has a successor every <3 years at the moment?

• Upvote 1

DarkMortyr    79
2 hours ago, seekax said:

^ This. 

Like there is not even a reason to discuss it. Several years ago, esport wasn't what we have today. "Competitive" games that had a sequel, were not created with "esport scene" in mind. It just happened, that they perfectly suited this kind of scene and people liked them for this reason. Also several years ago, microtransactions were not a thing. Developers had to keep creating these sequels, because it was the only way for them to have a profit back in time. But with microtransactions and very popular "crates", developers now have a way to sustain further development on the game and they can effectively support an esport scene on their game. 

So idk what exactly is a "brain fart" on that for you, but you are still living in the past.  How many counter strikes had a loot crates? Ehm? Yeah, exactly ... Don't fool yourself, CS GO is an old game and they will stick with it for a long time. 

Since when became UT a competitive game again? Last I checked, this game didn't even had a scene. But anyway, let me answer the question by asking the question. How many UTs had a microtransactions? dlcs? Same for Quake. 

9 hours ago, HypeRNT said:

league of legends does not count since its in a genre filled with clones. 

Yeah, lets just ignore the biggest esport game on the scene. And your statement is kinda funny. First, any popular game has a lot of clones. Second, shouldn't game with a lot of clones have less players, because people are spread across these clones? Because when the game doesn't have a competitor, then players are forced to play that game, because they have no other choice, when they like that style. Clones have nothing to do with sequels and never had. Developers won't earn anything from a "clone" of their game, so they need to make sure, they have a way to sustain the development. 

Sequels were a way to earn profit before microtransactions were a thing. But when developers manage to create a great competitive game these days, they have no reason to plan a sequel not even in the distant future.

LoL, CS, Dota2, Starcraft, Hearthstone, RL, OW, WoT, R6 Siege (well, they try to be "esport"), HotS, Smite and most of the other games won't have a sequel anytime soon, because they have no reason to do that.

Edited by DarkMortyr
  • Upvote 1

Switz    45

I'd get a lot of enjoyment out of a WW1 game, but don't think Bulkhead would make the type I would hope for.  Too much emphasis on the comp community.  I think that works for WW2 and beyond, but Battlefield 1...I was so turned off by it not feeling different due to all of the automatics and above trench gameplay.  Not too far different than a normal BF game aside from the maps.  

I honestly cannot believe I am actually bringing this game up in a positive light, but Darkest Hour.  What I'd like to see is something like what they did with the Battle of Antitem.  Many NPC's all around who where only deadly if you let them not be thinned out by shooting them.  Every human player should spawn with 5 or more AI soldiers who are essentially pretty effective until the player dies.  While the player is off respawning with a new set of 5 bots, to do it all over again, the leftover AI gets a significant accuracy and health penalty so they are essentially just there for cosmetics for the enemy side to mow down.  

Then...force some sort of reliance on trench to trench fighting where the sheer amount of targets make human attackers have a chance of getting into the trench.  

Bottom line - I'd love to see a WW1 game that went full on immersion over...player/weapon handling and quantities.  

Edited by Switz