cablama

Tanks! how to make them work!

Hi all! New to the forum, saw the trailer and my hope for humanity was restored!(as long as what is promised is delivered?) I missed the old days of gaming so bad. Anyway already love the comunity here! hoping for a great game and I think we can come up with a way to compromise on a way to implement controlable vehicles without ruining gameplay for the infantry that the devs can create for us! The first thing I think of is the stuff you see in cod 3 where they have a few larger maps for vehicles and smaler for infantry stuff. But I think it can be improved by making it a separate game mode or something. Plus cool ways to customize them the way they plan for the characters/weapons with the addition of different hull types and stuff since there were so many different sherman variants. (google search: sherman tank minutia) if anyone interested. Ford m4a3 is my fave. Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

Welcome aboard mate!

I'd say no thanks to tanks, from the developers at least! Let the modding community make some for those interested ;)

• Upvote 6

Thx!? 

How could they work do you think though? Personaly I think it would be worth it purely for the extra content. (if it worked) BF1943 is also an example minus the enormous maps perhaps. But thats the goal of this thread is more to explore ways to make it work than saying yes or no. There's to many threads arguing yes and no, lets find a way to make it work as if we decided we were going to add them ourselves as the devs, so that more of our fellow old school and some new gamers get what they want. (within reason ;))

I for one don't want it to work plain and simple, it's a game with small maps for close quarter combats. Not any room for moving tanks! So not thanks B|

13 hours ago, cablama said:

Thx!? 

How could they work do you think though? Personaly I think it would be worth it purely for the extra content. (if it worked) BF1943 is also an example minus the enormous maps perhaps. But thats the goal of this thread is more to explore ways to make it work than saying yes or no. There's to many threads arguing yes and no, lets find a way to make it work as if we decided we were going to add them ourselves as the devs, so that more of our fellow old school and some new gamers get what they want. (within reason ;))

hey cablama,

yes or no has to be the starting point of a discussion about vehicles for this game because the overwhelming feeling of the community (who are following the devs lead on this) is no to vehicles. so, exploring ways of making it work would be a completely pointless exercise.

the focus of Bat44 is your gun and your skill. a level playing field. vehicles, killstreaks, perks, weapon attachments, weapon progression are all viewed in the same way as detracting from gun-on-gun gameplay. and so for those reasons, suggestions to include these elements have been almost instantly dismissed in the past as you yourself mentioned.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Farq-S said:

yes or no has to be the starting point of a discussion about vehicles for this game because the overwhelming feeling of the community (who are following the devs lead on this) is no to vehicles. so,

the reason i was hoping to avoid the yeses and nos is to hopefuly open some minds and avoid the default statements that people post without explaining why it does or doesn't ruin gameply. i think of the bolt action dispute in some games wether its one shot or not, its more complicated than just, yes, wherever you get shot at whatever distance you should die, or, no, two shots only no matter what etc. the point is that a way can be found through compromise and discussion at least for fun. but thx for the feedback!??

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, cablama said:

lets find a way to make it work as if we decided we were going to add them ourselves as the devs, so that more of our fellow old school and some new gamers get what they want. (within reason ;))

18 hours ago, Farq-S said:

a level playing field.

how would you do it if you had to? is the question im trying to ask i guess.? the only whay to convince the devs to add something they weren't going to do in the first place (no matter what it is) is to show them a way it could work and saying we want it. and im sure we can both show each other plenty of people who say yay or nay but lets not waste time, for starters how about we find a way to either separate them like spacific maps, modes or both, and nerf/limit them to reqire skill to use them.

also forgot to say im not saying it has to be a part of the main idea of the game, both can be included separately like cod 3, which had maps and game modes for all types of classic ww2 shooters.(with the exception of air combat)

Edited by cablama

11 hours ago, cablama said:

the reason i was hoping to avoid the yeses and nos is to hopefuly open some minds and avoid the default statements that people post without explaining why it does or doesn't ruin gameply. i think of the bolt action dispute in some games wether its one shot or not, its more complicated than just, yes, wherever you get shot at whatever distance you should die, or, no, two shots only no matter what etc. the point is that a way can be found through compromise and discussion at least for fun. but thx for the feedback!??

how would you do it if you had to? is the question im trying to ask i guess.? the only whay to convince the devs to add something they weren't going to do in the first place (no matter what it is) is to show them a way it could work and saying we want it. and im sure we can both show each other plenty of people who say yay or nay but lets not waste time, for starters how about we find a way to either separate them like spacific maps, modes or both, and nerf/limit them to reqire skill to use them.

also forgot to say im not saying it has to be a part of the main idea of the game, both can be included separately like cod 3, which had maps and game modes for all types of classic ww2 shooters.(with the exception of air combat)

the simplest explanation is that most of the people that came to this game did so because its NOT going to have vehicles and killstreaks and weapon attachments. we can get those things from other games like battlefield or squad or insurgency or CoD. people came to Bat44 to escape all those things. thats why any discussion to include such things is met with a flat no because anyone who's been on these forums longer than a few months have heard all these arguments before. nothing you've said hasn't already been said a thousand times before. believe me, if you came up with any new angles this thread would get more responses.

EDIT - you use cod3 as a good example of having vehicles in the game. however, cod 3 was widely viewed as the least popular of all cods before ghosts. it was the least popular because no-one liked it. it never had a competitive community as far as i know and no-one has any desire to go back and play it.

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 2

i understand that many want to escape kill streaks, broken vehicles and what not and im not trying to say that cod 3 was the perfect way to play it. but from what ive seen from the community in and out of the forums and myself honestly want to get away from new, mainstream, games with no transparency from the devs, to return to the old days but with new improvements like graphics, hud, etc. I honestly will love this game with or without vehicles, realy, but i think it would appeal to more players and kick it up to an 11 if vehicles where done right which they can if we try and test we just need to be willing instead of shun it like a disease. WW1 was an imposible war to make a fun game out of untill bf1 came out then ww1 became a top search for google. bf1 isnt perfect either especially now but it was the imposible that killed everyone's preconceptions. as far as im concerned it doesn't matter that much if there are vehicles in this game i just wish people would check thier preconceptions at the door, have an open mind, and find a way just for fun? i realy think i have an idea of what people feel about it by what you've told me and what I've seen but like i said its just for fun and maybe we'll find something who knows. but like you said it probably is pointless, but its just for fun and wishful thinking.

Hi cablama and welcome, 

due to the nature of the game and that it is based around being a competitive shooter comparable to current games like cs:go, battalion, at least at its base will never feature vehicles. 

With the game being created on ue4 it's not to say that it would be completely impossible a long way in future to have custom mods created that could implement such a feature on custom maps hosted on dedi servers, much like csgo has on some community made maps, but I cant confirm that would ever happen and can only speculate that it would be possible in the future 

• Upvote 5

I would not enjoy having tanks in this game, Battalion is a game about gun skill and tanks would destroy that purpose. But as phantasy said it is not impossible.

On 28/06/2017 at 8:34 PM, cablama said:

How could they work do you think though?

Hi Cablama, take a look at "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory" gameplay with vehicles included, such as tanks, jeeps and trucks. Not only do these vehicles fit perfectly into the game, they actually add to the enjoyment of the gameplay. As I've said many times on this website, (and the last one), these vehicles can't be driven and they can't harm anyone, take a look too at the "Call of Duty - WWII" videos, they've copied the same type of gameplay from "Wolf: ET" for one of their in-game modes.

Hi cablama! 

I have to agree with all the lads here. If tanks are delivered into Bat44, it would ruin the whole gameplay that the developers made for us. This is a game that is built on an old-school pattern. This is not a WW2 game, it's an old-school shooter in WW2 coating.

I don't think this tanky gameplay will be the modders first thing to do, but maybe we will see something in the future. ;)

Edited by Alomvampir

10 hours ago, Alomvampir said:

I have to agree with all the lads here. If tanks are delivered into Bat44, it would ruin the whole gameplay......

On 28/06/2017 at 6:30 AM, cablama said:

....I think it can be improved by making it a separate game mode or something.....

That's what we were discussing here, Alom, not changing the actual standard "BATT44" game mode that all the "bolt-action crew" are craving. Rather, the creation of another gaming mode which would appeal to even more players, players, like me and many others, who have absolutely no interest in "TDM" or "S&D".

Anyway, I'm done here discussing anything in respects to how the game should or shouldn't be, I only replied in this thread because Cablama is a new member asking this question and I was only too aware of the type of replies he would get.

I know that and always knew that, actually I didn't write it down correctly. I was talking about the "other gamemode". It would be strange as well. With this kind of movement and skill based gameplay that we have here in Bat44 tanks would be simply strange for me. But that's just my opinion. 

2 hours ago, WolfEnstein said:

Cablama is a new member asking this question and I was only too aware of the type of replies he would get.

I know that he's new but I think we've discussed ideas like this before and mostly we always have the same outcome. Sorry if I did something wrong. :|

Edited by Alomvampir

5 minutes ago, Alomvampir said:

It would be strange as well. With this kind of movement and skill based gameplay that we have here in Bat44......

Only to non-"Wolf: ET" players, bro. The movement you see now in "BATT44" is the same as we use in "ETPro" mod, the competition mod for "Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory", in which we often use tanks and trucks in maps such as "Goldrush" and "Supply Depot".

11 minutes ago, Alomvampir said:

Sorry if I did something wrong.....

You did nothing wrong, Alom, you just stated your opinion, as have I. We can't all agree on everything, m8 ;) .