Qwertyedd

What antivirus

23 posts in this topic

Hey all my 30 day free avg antivirus is up. Just wonder what everyone else uses?

any recommendation?

Windows defender. Protects you adequately, doesn't bombard you with ads and doesn't ruin performance.

ESET Nod32, like most things it costs money but as they say '' you get what you pay for'' '' no such thing as a free lunch''

Nod32 also has Gamer settings and its set up is rather good.

29 minutes ago, seekax said:

Windows defender. Protects you adequately, doesn't bombard you with ads and doesn't ruin performance.

Yep!

Posted (edited)

The free Microsoft package is adequate, however after last weeks cyber attack which was using a loophole in the Windows O/S I would rather have a third party A/V

Ensure your Windows firewall is on and that you have the hardware firewall on your router turned on, Some of you may only use your gaming computer for gaming and nothing else, if that is the case then Defender will suffice, if you check e-mails and use your gaming computer for anything else you may want to look at other products.

The problem us Gamers have is that some A/V progs take over the computer and slow it up the only two I know which do not are Eset Nod32 and Windows Defender. I just prefer to waste my money on a third party product. No Antivirus is 100 % mainly it is down to how you use your computer. Most Gamers are near expert in computer management that includes most of us using these forums, but we can all get caught out and the better the safety net the best result will occur. To sum up Belts and braces, belts and braces lads.

Edited by MaB Rev_Bob

15 minutes ago, MaB Rev_Bob said:

The free Microsoft package is adequate, however after last weeks cyber attack which was using a loophole in the Windows O/S I would rather have a third party A/V

Ensure your Windows firewall is on and that you have the hardware firewall on your router turned on, Some of you may only use your gaming computer for gaming and nothing else, if that is the case then Defender will suffice, if you check e-mails and use your gaming computer for anything else you may want to look at other products.

The problem us Gamers have is that some A/V progs take over the computer and slow it up the only two I know which do not are Eset Nod32 and Windows Defender. I just prefer to waste my money on a third party product. No Antivirus is 100 % mainly it is down to how you use your computer. Most Gamers are near expert in computer management that includes most of us using these forums, but we can all get caught out and the better the safety net the best result will occur. To sum up Belts and braces, belts and braces lads.

It was a loophole in an old, no longer supported  OS (Win XP) Rev. Hard to use that as a fair example. The best virus protection is common sense. Most semi-proficient PC users can recognise when something is dodgy and shouldn't be opened or when something looks suspicious. 

Not to mention modern day operating systems are generally way less vulnerable to attack in the first place.

Posted (edited)

I take on board what you say but look at the below links and quotes and make your own mind up, I am only trying to make users aware and help fellow Gamers just like you are. cheers Freakshow. But I am pointing out a fault in the code of Windows defender itself, this applies to Windows 8 and 10 although I appreciate old OS/'s like XP are not supported by Microsoft now. 

The vulnerability was in the Windows defender code itself which is the A/V that has been recommended as long as as it has now been updated by the user it should be ok to use.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3195434/security/microsoft-fixes-remote-hacking-flaw-in-windows-malware-protection-engine.html

''Microsoft has released an update for the malware scanning engine bundled with most of its Windows security products in order to fix a highly critical vulnerability that could allow attackers to hack computers

http://techreport.com/news/31875/microsoft-patches-critical-security-bug-in-windows-defender

''

Microsoft patches critical security bug in Windows Defender

by Zak Killian — 4:30 PM on May 9, 2017

If you're running Windows Defender (quite a strong possibility if you're running Windows), make sure you've got all your updates. Microsoft issued a patch this past Monday for a vulnerability in its malware protection engine that could allow a remote attacker to gain control over any affected system simply by sending the victim a specially-crafted e-mail or instant message. The exploit can be activated when Windows Defender simply scans a piece of data, and doesn't require any action behalf of a local user to take effect.

The vulnerability itself lies in NScript, a Defender component. NScript thoroughly checks in-flight data (whether on disk or network) that appears to contain JavaScript. The component runs completely un-sandboxed despite checking untrusted code. Given that Defender is one of Windows' most privileged processes, the vulnerability gives an attacker complete control over the system. To make matters worse, since it doesn't require user input, the flaw could be exploited programmatically. That means that someone could craft a self-replicating worm that uses the exploit to spread from system to system.''

Edited by MaB Rev_Bob

IOBIT Advance System Care Ultimate with  Anti-Malware engine, Anti-Ransomware Engine and Bitdefender engine

This might also be an interesting reading for some:

Real-World Protection Test (April 2017): https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/05/avc_factsheet2017_04.pdf

Summary Report (December 2016): https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/avc_sum_201612_en.pdf

File Detection Test(September 2016): https://www.av-comparatives.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/avc_fdt_201609_en.pdf

And yeah, it's true that the best antivirus is the user himself. But we humans are well known for doing stupid mistakes, so there is no harm to have some good piece of software to protect us from that. 

Anyone have an opinion on Malwarebytes Pro?

Avast has always worked fine for me and never annoyed me with ads like Avira does.

Windows defender and Malwarebytes

windows defender + malwarebytes + kaspersky 

20 hours ago, ToonBE said:

windows defender + malwarebytes + kaspersky 

Why use 2 real-time antivirus?

1 hour ago, FrosteR said:

Why use 2 real-time antivirus?

Malwarebytes is not really anti virus, its for active malware protection while browsing, etc

Kaspersky for protection against the classic virusses

And windows defender 'cause free pre-installed and why not?

1 hour ago, ToonBE said:

Malwarebytes is not really anti virus, its for active malware protection while browsing, etc

Kaspersky for protection against the classic virusses

And windows defender 'cause free pre-installed and why not?

I was talking about your Kaspersky + Windows Defender combination. Seems to me it just hogs up CPU usage for no reason. Either one alone should be fine.

5 hours ago, FrosteR said:

I was talking about your Kaspersky + Windows Defender combination. Seems to me it just hogs up CPU usage for no reason. Either one alone should be fine.

As I said it's free and I have an i7 6700 it won't have an impact

BitDefender Free (https://www.bitdefender.com/solutions/free.html) has top mark score as far as the "free" AV's goes, light weight and super simple.
I'm currently running the current version of Norton Security augmented with the full paid version of Malwarebytes. I change my core AV pretty much every year when the year license is up, been through McAfee, Kaspersky, BitDefender and now on Norton. They are pretty much the same at the end of day, they all offer some system tools as well. The item that never changes is Malwarebytes Premium, have always had it and always will.

Edited by Arasaka