Sign in to follow this  
Farq-S

Quake Champions

I will be playing this before Bat44 is available. Quake is one of the first fps games on which I grew up. And I played this for a few hours yesterday and I like it. 

It's not exactly the style I am looking for but for the sake of old school feeling, it's a pleasure.

I've been in the beta for this for quite a while. I'm going to make the assumption one of the main similarities you see if the movement? Hard to describe but Quake champions movement does not feel like promod CoD4 (closest comparison for Bat44). In Quake you build up speed by strafe jumping and that's why you see a lot of bouncing. Battalion, whilst it has strafe jumping you won't be bouncing everywhere, spamming jump. You may jump around corners or strafe jump between ledges but you aren't constantly spamming jump to build speed like you would in Quake (even if that is heavily watered down in Champions) 

Time to kill will generally be a lot longer as well. There are no one shots in Quake unless you have the quad damage.

Characters each have a special ability, have varying armour, health and speed.

Positioning for armour/hp/cooldown/quad damage buffs to come off cooldown are also a core component of Quake. 

As I said hard to explain but if you've played this and CoD2/CoD4 to compare shooting and movement mechanics, they feel quite different. Champions isn't like an arena shooter of old but it's still in that genre at least. 

Edit - this guy is also admittedly a new player. Look up some quake pros/vets playing this and it looks quite different :P

Edited by Freakshow
  • Upvote 1

Saying Quake is like Battalion is like saying NFS is like Assetto Corsa because both games have cars. They play nothing like each other.

Also the new Quake is a mockery of the franchise and even if it wasn't a quake game the execution is pretty lackluster. Movement speed caps, terrible netcode, poor visibility, terrible meta, really bad audio, poor performance, awful HUD, delay on the rocketlauncher, a bunch of redundant weapons, the meme that is the new duel mode, bad mapdesign, more damage when zooming on some weapons, garbage input,...

Wew lad, what a game.

Edited by seekax
  • Upvote 2

when i said i see parallels between the 2 games it was less about the gameplay itself and more about how the new gameplay is being received by the players of the original quake. in particular, the introduction of heroes that have different abilities compared to the truly level playing field and reliance on map pickups of the original quake. that debate is similar to the debates around Bat44 with the inclusion of sprint and strafe-jumping and what defines an 'old school' shooter. gameplay-wise, Bat44 and Quake Champions have more differences than things in common.

24 minutes ago, seekax said:

Saying Quake is like Battalion is like saying NFS is like Assetto Corsa because both games have cars. They play nothing like each other.

Also the new Quake is a mockery of the franchise and even if it wasn't a quake game the execution is pretty lackluster. Movement speed caps, terrible netcode, poor visibility, terrible meta, really bad audio, poor performance, awful HUD, delay on the rocketlauncher, a bunch of redundant weapons, the meme that is the new duel mode, bad mapdesign, more damage when zooming on some weapons,...

Wew lad, what a game.

I was trying to be a bit kinder with a few subtle hints that it's just not as good as the older Quakes. You went ahead and took a gauntlet to Quake champions' jugular. :D

Can't really argue with it, either xD.

30 minutes ago, seekax said:

Also the new Quake is a mockery of the franchise and even if it wasn't a quake game the execution is pretty lackluster. Movement speed caps, terrible netcode, poor visibility, terrible meta, really bad audio, poor performance, awful HUD, delay on the rocketlauncher, a bunch of redundant weapons, the meme that is the new duel mode, bad mapdesign, more damage when zooming on some weapons,...

Wew lad, what a game.

if Quake Champions is a bad game then it's a bad game. but, setting that aside for a moment and looking at the philosophy of the devs in making the game, was it a good move to introduce heroes? weapons, netcode, HUD etc. can all be changed/improved but if the fundamental philosophy is the problem that can't be fixed and the game is a dud.  

24 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

when i said i see parallels between the 2 games it was less about the gameplay itself and more about how the new gameplay is being received by the players of the original quake. in particular, the introduction of heroes that have different abilities compared to the truly level playing field and reliance on map pickups of the original quake. that debate is similar to the debates around Bat44 with the inclusion of sprint and strafe-jumping and what defines an 'old school' shooter. gameplay-wise, Bat44 and Quake Champions have more differences than things in common.

Well let's hope b44 won't be received as poorly as QC. The inclusion of sprint doesn't break with what defines an oldschool shooter, it's not a modern gameplay element and strafejumping is as oldschool as you can get really, every game based on some iteration of the quake engine has it, which probably covers the majority of oldschool shooters. If there is anything about b44 which i might call an affront to oldschool fps it's the card system, but i'll wait to see what that ends up being before getting the pitchforks and torches ready.

Regarding the hero system, yea i'd prefer if that didn't exist, it's terrible for the competitive side of the game, but i knew that i wouldn't have a competitive interest in the game as soon as i saw the reveal trailer. As a casual game the active abilities don't bother me an awful lot as of yet, the passives are somewhat annoying, but overall that game has way more severe issues i am worried about.

14 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

if Quake Champions is a bad game then it's a bad game. but, setting that aside for a moment and looking at the philosophy of the devs in making the game, was it a good move to introduce heroes? weapons, netcode, HUD etc. can all be changed/improved but if the fundamental philosophy is the problem that can't be fixed and the game is a dud.  

The fact that these things are broken shows the priorities of the devs and what standards they think are acceptable. When an afps goes into beta with horrible input and no apparent sense of direction in the gameplay that tells me that the people who are developing it don't understand the genre, don't care about the genre and won't produce anything better than mediocre no matter how good the feedback they act on is. A lot of these things are also fundamental issues, fixing up the input isn't as simple as replacing a module.

Edited by seekax

Idk, maybe I am weird but I kinda like the game. It brings me some unique feeling. And yes I used to play Quake 3 a lot. 

It's still in the beta phase and I didn't see a single release date info yet, so some things might change. 

Honestly I completely agree with this video and I think, we should give this game a chance and see in what direction will it go. 

He devoted 18 years to Quake games and I like his channel for mouse reviews.