Reputation System  

81 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. What would you like to happen to the voting system?

• Have the ability to up-vote and down-vote as much as you can
    • Have an unlimited up-votes and limited down-votes (Current System)
    • ONLY up-votes allowed NO down-votes
    • No Reputation at all.

[CM] BigTuna    564

Hey guys

We are looking into the Reputation system as we have received a few comments about it. We have decided to hold a poll that will once and for all decide the outcome of our Reputation system. We will review it in 6 months but this will be a pretty permanent decision.

The Poll will end next Friday so make sure you vote for your voice to be heard!

P.S; Disrespectful behaviour in conversations below will not be tolerated

Thanks
Tuna

• Upvote 2

Personally I love an open (and friendly) discussion.

For this reason I love up/down public vote.

If is masked (And I understand why), I think that only up can be good (I still thinking that a vote system -when good used- help to understand to opinions).

• Upvote 1

Soldat Ryan    350

If we were living in a perfect world with only smart people i would vote for the 1st solution (even with hidden vote) but in this world where trolling and bashing is became a priority for some kind of people and to keep this community as friendly as possible i vote for the 3th. This way people who are not agree with other will have to take his keyboard and explain (peacefully) why, insteed to clic only.

• Upvote 5

Razor    379

It would be harder for some individuals to hit a down vote if it was public who did it, then a explanation would be needed with the vote :P 

Since that's not a option I go for only upvote...

• Upvote 4

Farq-S    378
3 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

If we were living in a perfect world with only smart people i would vote for the 1st solution (even with hidden vote) but in this world where trolling and bashing is became a priority for some kind of people and to keep this community as friendly as possible i vote for the 3th. This way people who are not agree with other will have to take his keyboard and explain (peacefully) why, insteed to clic only.

+1 this is a very good explanation of the situation.

• Upvote 1

DukeNukem    187

Im up for the unlimited up/down vote because it helps in the overall perspective.. Soldat said it best though, there will be trolls and there will be people who will abuse the system. If there are only upvotes it doesn't allow for a fair representation of comments through the system. If there are no down votes there shouldn't be any upvotes. The other thing is, if there is an upvote/downvote system it should completely public and to stop the people from trolling, the names of the up/down voters should be viewable. This will smack the votes with a name and people will be come less likely to abuse the system. Or remove the entire up/down vote system all together.

The trolling is a huge possibility and im not sure if i can say i was "victim" of it but i came in at times, without posting for a while, to see my total "score" missing 10 points per day. I would check my activity through my profile and i saw nothing different, it was strange. I don't exactly care about my reputation but because more upvotes means you are someone who usually posts something productive, I'd like a high positive score. Obviously this applies to the down votes just in the negative perspective of it.

xXclusiivE    3

I vote for #3 because at this point the current system is just being abused for the "Lulz" and trying to "trigger" people. Trolling should not be acceptable so like I said option #3 gets my vote.

EDIT: I also feel that the up vote is being tossed around too much as well. This is just my opinion only but I feel an up vote should be given when said person is being constructive towards the game or community not because they posted a funny meme that one enjoys.

Edited by xXclusiivE
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Jakovec12    25

For me the voting system should be allowed to people who made for example 10 post (or more) in this forum, when they reach it they have a vote option available. I m pretty sure there are people here who didn't or rarely post anything except hitting the up/down vote without any proper discussion. I think this will increase the need to discuss with a lot of new players who maybe came from different games they played and maybe we will see some interesting discussions in forum. If you cannot add this function then i will go vote the 3rd option since there will be a lot of situations where a guy is making fair opinion/suggestion or arguments and someone who don't like it will hit the down vote without any proper reason.

Freakshow    176
31 minutes ago, DukeNukem said:

If there are only upvotes it doesn't allow for a fair representation of comments through the system. If there are no down votes there shouldn't be any upvotes.

You still get a fair representation of what's popular and what isn't with upvotes only because instead of someone giving an unpopular opinion and being downvoted into oblivion, it will simply score 0. Whereas someone who has an opinion people agree with it will still have a higher score and it also takes away the downvoting vendettas some have on here. 

Most importantly - If there are no downvotes someone may actually feel compelled to explain as to why they disagree instead of just hitting downvote and moving on, which IMO will provide better discussion.

Edited by Freakshow
  • Upvote 2

DukeNukem    187
2 minutes ago, Freakshow said:

Most importantly - If there are no downvotes someone may actually feel compelled to explain as to why they disagree instead of just hitting downvote and moving on, which IMO will provide better discussion.

If thats the case, just remove the entire voting system. No need for any up/down votes, that way people are compelled to explain both. Hell, simply people can quote and do "+1"

Freakshow    176
Just now, DukeNukem said:

If thats the case, just remove the entire voting system. No need for any up/down votes, that way people are compelled to explain both. Hell, simply people can quote and do "+1"

If you agree with something, there's not really as much need to explain and having upvotes removes the +1 spam. Disagreement/debate requires explanation to be healthy IMO. Tbh I personally wouldn't care either way whether the system is here or not. Just trying to think what's most useful and civil for the devs.

• Upvote 1

DukeNukem    187
1 minute ago, Freakshow said:

If you agree with something, there's not really as much need to explain and having upvotes removes the +1 spam. Disagreement/debate requires explanation to be healthy IMO. Tbh I personally wouldn't care either way whether the system is here or not. Just trying to think what's most useful and civil for the devs.

We all are m8, well those that care about the quality of the information of the forum and the forum itself.

Civility in a public online forum is difficult, honestly i think the hidden names of the votes is the problem. There is no responsibility behind it and acknowledgment of the decision. At this point its just a button to press. I stand fast on the option of making the names of who votes public, that way people own up to if they dislike or like a comment.

If we have a downvote system where you need to explain EVERY downvote, then you need people to check those reasons and "allow" the downvote. That causes more work/problems for the Devs and Community Managers.

There needs to be stricter punishment of trolls and uncivil-like behavior. Bans of commenting for 1 hour, 3 hours, 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, etc etc. Make more people who are trustworthy Community Managers under Tuna's supervision. Delegate the ability to make the forum a better place.

Idk what the solution is, ive stayed neutral in any argument since i started posting on here actively. Ive actually taken the time out to try to help some people who were seen as toxic so they can prove their points better. Some listened some continued the downward spiral. People have learned who I am and how i handle things, but when this whole "downvote vote" craze and smack talk on discord came about, it kinda ticked me off to the point of people just being toxic.

• Upvote 1

Farq-S    378

i think that any system that allows limitless upvotes/downvotes can be abused by spamming. so, whatever system is favoured each person should have a limited number of votes to use daily. 10, 20, whatever number the devs deem reasonable. that way, people have to use their votes wisely. i think voting should remain anonymous because naming will increase the possibility of confrontations which only serves to create divisions and promote negative behaviour on the forums.

DukeNukem    187
4 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

i think that any system that allows limitless upvotes/downvotes can be abused by spamming. so, whatever system is favoured each person should have a limited number of votes to use daily. 10, 20, whatever number the devs deem reasonable. that way, people have to use their votes wisely. i think voting should remain anonymous because naming will increase the possibility of confrontations which only serves to create divisions and promote negative behaviour on the forums.

Keeping it to a certain limit may work to keep the spamming down but we are talking about the reasoning behind the vote and the person who is voting in either direction to have a reason as to why. If it remains anonymous the trolls are safe, even if the number of votes are limited which also limits the ability for good votes to be used. Will confrontations happen? I mean, sure maybe but they are already happenings even without knowing who did what in the votes. People getting down voted to the point of saying anything just because that person who down voted them because....they didn't like them. Thats what we have to limit. The two options i see is public view of names that up/down voted, or remove the voting system in total.

One option that causes more work is for the community managers to have a log of who did what during the day in the voting system. That causes more work and the "big brother is watching" syndrome though. No bueno....

So the question is, how do reduce the amount of trolls?

DarkMortyr    83

What if number of votes you have (every day) would depend on the number of posts you have on the forum? Starting with one and then one more every 50(?) posts?

There will have to be some moderators to prevent spam but, that's something we will need anyway.

So it won't be that easy to just register a forum account and start downvoting people. You will have to be an active member. 

Edited by DarkMortyr
  • Upvote 1

Farq-S    378
30 minutes ago, DukeNukem said:

Keeping it to a certain limit may work to keep the spamming down but we are talking about the reasoning behind the vote and the person who is voting in either direction to have a reason as to why. If it remains anonymous the trolls are safe, even if the number of votes are limited which also limits the ability for good votes to be used. Will confrontations happen? I mean, sure maybe but they are already happenings even without knowing who did what in the votes. People getting down voted to the point of saying anything just because that person who down voted them because....they didn't like them. Thats what we have to limit. The two options i see is public view of names that up/down voted, or remove the voting system in total.

One option that causes more work is for the community managers to have a log of who did what during the day in the voting system. That causes more work and the "big brother is watching" syndrome though. No bueno....

So the question is, how do reduce the amount of trolls?

my hope is they'll go with option 3 which is what i voted for so the problem of downvote trolling will be eliminated. option 4 is my next choice but i don't think option 1 or 2 will solve the problem. the people who downvote troll will continue to do it even if they're named because the sole objective of a troll is to cause mischief. they don't care if they're known. some will even treat it as a badge of honour. hence, my comment that naming will only serve to promote confrontation and negative behaviour. options 3 or 4 reduces admin work. 

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 1

DukeNukem    187
50 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

my hope is they'll go with option 3 which is what i voted for so the problem of downvote trolling will be eliminated. option 4 is my next choice but i don't think option 1 or 2 will solve the problem. the people who downvote troll will continue to do it even if they're named because the sole objective of a troll is to cause mischief. they don't care if they're known. some will even treat it as a badge of honour. hence, my comment that naming will only serve to promote confrontation and negative behaviour. options 3 or 4 reduces admin work. 

If they want to wear that as a badge of honor then can simply take a perma ban :) and the votes casted by said person disappear get negated therefor returning everything back to normal.

Also if posts were restricted to punish those who are hostile when posting then it can hinder the trolls aswell. 

Farq-S    378
2 minutes ago, DukeNukem said:

If they want to wear that as a badge of honor then can simply take a perma ban :) and the votes casted by said person disappear get negated therefor returning everything back to normal.

Also if posts were restricted to punish those who are hostile when posting then it can hinder the trolls aswell. 

true but this suggestion requires more admin work. options 3 and 4 require minimal admin intervention. trolls will never be completely eliminated. all we can reasonably expect of any system is that it reduces the opportunity to troll without restricting open, respectful discussion.

• Upvote 1

DukeNukem    187
Just now, Farq-S said:

true but this suggestion requires more admin work. options 3 and 4 require minimal admin intervention. trolls will never be completely eliminated. all we can reasonably expect of any system is that it reduces the opportunity to troll without restricting open, respectful discussion.

delegate the community manager spot so instead of Tuna having to do deal with every small thing, he will get weekly or daily reports from the volunteers. Then will be notified directly if something serious is going on. Makes things easier on him and other CMs

FrosteR    185

Who really cares about some fake internet points, even though it's a good way to quickly see who is trolling and who actually has proper contributions (the + or - on the left under the avatar). If someone has -250 I won't even bother reading his post because clearly he is trolling.

• Upvote 2

xXclusiivE    3
33 minutes ago, FrosteR said:

Who really cares about some fake internet points, even though it's a good way to quickly see who is trolling and who actually has proper contributions (the + or - on the left under the avatar). If someone has -250 I won't even bother reading his post because clearly he is trolling.

Not true for some members, myself for example. Three weeks ago I was +46 and now I am -24(-70 range gap). If you look at my last lets say 25 post besides 1 I have never attacked anyone or trolled. Some have even been person story's in the off topic section. I just have people following me using there down votes to try and get a response out of me which I have been ignoring until now. 

Even in this thread if you scroll up a have -2 votes and nobody quoted me and explained why. I stated it was my opinion so why do people disagree with it. That's what forums are for is to have discussions.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

FrosteR    185
2 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

Not true for some members, myself for example. Three weeks ago I was +46 and now I am -24(-70 range gap). If you look at my last lets say 25 post besides 1 I have never attacked anyone or trolled. Some have even been person story's in the off topic section. I just have people following me using there down votes to try and get a response out of me which I have been ignoring until now. 

Even in this thread if you scroll up a have -2 votes and nobody quoted me and explained why. I stated it was my opinion so why do people disagree with it. That's what forums are for is to have discussions.

-24 is something different than the -250 I mentioned

[VS-UK]Gom3R    14

I understand why I got my negative votes from previous rage post. Then I got more downvotes starting a discussion about the voting system. But I dont think downvoting people is the way to go. Report button should be sufficient if you ask me. Then it is down to moderators for sort it out. 

But funny thing I got only 6 posts to downvote. Imagine a person with 500+ posts and a person with a vendetta. haha.

Hope for option 3 give cudos for great stuff and then report trolls.

DukeNukem    187

why are people voting down @xXclusiivE? i don't get it...he is making valid points about what is happening to him when posts. This is why i want a public view of the people who voted or no voting system at all. There are people who target others for no reason......

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1