Sign in to follow this  
jcuz

Mapping: CoD4 citystreets

jcuz    105

Hey guys I've been thinking about drafting up some maps inspired by some we already know. For this thread I'd like to look into CoD4 mp_citystreets (District).
The reason I chose this map is that it is versatile, you can rush, you can split, and the standout for me is that you can smoke/nade execute each site.

My question is, what would you do to improve this map? What would you do different?

For example some quick thoughts.

- Less clutter in mid market, change the roof style, break up the cover a bit by maybe using haystacks

- Possibly level out mid market a bit, reduce the height difference

- Change death alley and the entrance to B site

- Change B arches, maybe use barnyard house open both ends

District20mp_citystreets.png

Edited by jcuz
  • Upvote 3

scaR    59

no. exploding. cars.

or just reduce the 2039480 cars in the A carpark to one or two.

Good choice of map though, would be interesting to see it with some WW2 aesthetics in UE4.

Edited by scaR
  • Upvote 3

jcuz    105
19 minutes ago, scaR said:

no. exploding. cars.

or just reduce the 2039480 cars in the A carpark to one or two.

Good choice of map though, would be interesting to see it with some WW2 aesthetics in UE4.

Haha yeah cars were stupid, thats also CoD4 in general. But yeah without cars and without exploding barrels for sure

Edited by jcuz
  • Upvote 1

sh0tyz    132

Whenever modtools are released, I was thinking of remaking district and strike, but making it more into a WW2 setting. These maps were so crisp.

• Upvote 1

Masser    55

I think that they mentioned something about the barrels and cars in general. It maybe was in Phantasy's video, but I can't really remember at the moment.

sh0tyz    132
3 hours ago, Masser said:

I think that they mentioned something about the barrels and cars in general. It maybe was in Phantasy's video, but I can't really remember at the moment.

Yeah I'm pretty sure cars won't explode. I don't know about barrels though

Good choice. Citystreets were awesome because of many different approaches that can be executed. I think cars could stay as exploding material, but there should be either a smaller number of them or they should be more durable and not exploded after few shots. Cars should stay as a part of the map to be used for cover in my mind.

Red barrels is a common thing in majority of games "If the barrel is red, it explodes no matter what". If they are placed at certain points like in the corners and not in the middle of a corridor then I don't mind them at all :).

Masser    55
On 2017-5-14 at 10:44 AM, Andrey2dashes said:

Good choice. Citystreets were awesome because of many different approaches that can be executed. I think cars could stay as exploding material, but there should be either a smaller number of them or they should be more durable and not exploded after few shots. Cars should stay as a part of the map to be used for cover in my mind.

Red barrels is a common thing in majority of games "If the barrel is red, it explodes no matter what". If they are placed at certain points like in the corners and not in the middle of a corridor then I don't mind them at all :).

The issue with them is that they can sort of seal your fate, if you are stuck behind cover and know you are very close to an enemy and don't want to expose your self only to die, you are stuck. They were also deceiving I found. Just when you thought you got past, they then normally blew up.

21 hours ago, Masser said:

The issue with them is that they can sort of seal your fate, if you are stuck behind cover and know you are very close to an enemy and don't want to expose your self only to die, you are stuck. They were also deceiving I found. Just when you thought you got past, they then normally blew up.

Yeah that thing happens way too often... This needs to be reconsidered as much as possible :)

• Upvote 1

suNNN    11

I think we should not remake CoD4 maps for this game. It's different period (WW2 and modern). Better would be to remake cod2 or cod1 maps (but not the same way as they were but change them a lot). Don't know which countries are going to be supported but some arabic maps (desert), european and and some Chinesse/Japan oriented map would be nice to see

Edited by suNNN
  • Upvote 1

pukiz    34
24 minutes ago, suNNN said:

I think we should not remake CoD4 maps for this game. It's different period (WW2 and modern). Better would be to remake cod2 or cod1 maps (but not the same way as they were but change them a lot). Don't know which countries are going to be supported but some arabic maps (desert), european and and some Chinesse/Japan oriented map would be nice to see

COD4 had a Carentan re-make in it, wasn't really played but it was in so could work

jcuz    105

The reason i thought to look at cod4 maps is because they were made with sprint in mind so they tend to be a bit more spaced out than the vcod/cod2 maps.

• Upvote 1

suNNN    11
3 minutes ago, jcuz said:

The reason i thought to look at cod4 maps is because they were made with sprint in mind so they tend to be a bit more spaced out than the vcod/cod2 maps.

That's the reason why i said we can remake cod1 cod2 maps but change them as much as we can but keep the spirit of it which is possible. But still I would like to see some new maps with themes like japan/chinese war during ww2 / egypt war ... for example

Edited by suNNN

scaR    59
9 hours ago, suNNN said:

That's the reason why i said we can remake cod1 cod2 maps but change them as much as we can but keep the spirit of it which is possible. But still I would like to see some new maps with themes like japan/chinese war during ww2 / egypt war ... for example

Doesn't mean you couldn't just use the layout of the map and apply WW2 aesthetics to it though.

• Upvote 2

Datamursu    28

Remaking vCoD/CoD2 would be nice too, but remaking maps from different style/era to other is more interesting. Quite familiar layout, but yet bit improved and different to fit in the game where they are remade.

I for once would see that it could be interesting to change theme of District resemble some sort of supply depot with following changes (starting from bottom and moving towards top):

• Themed like Depot from vCoD/CoD2
  • Street/road and other side of it could be anything to fit theme, even railroad station with warehouses could fit there to be B-plant.
  • B-Arch with double doors as big entrance for vehicles etc., House and Back alley at right could serve as gate guard office. 
  • Spawn street could stay at it is and Platform could be modified to also have ramp driveway up from Market area to Spawn street with stairs next to it.
  • Market area and Catwalk could have trucks, cargo crates, fuel barrels etc. fitting for supply depot.
  • A-house could be modeled after barracks mess or something other quite open room while houses next to it around A-Arch could act as workshops/warehouses.
  • Brown house, ATK-spawn and Petrol station could be act as administrative/office buildings.
  • Top of the map around A-plant could be modeled example as barracks where AA-gun could be used as A-plant instead of Well and at Carpark would be as it name implies, parking area for cars.
  • Overall height difference could need bit evening out (like half flight of stairs) and maybe A-Arch could be bit wider to fit theme of depot (need room for ammo resupply vehicles to drive where AA-gun is =) ).
  • (- It could be discussed if there would be need for new access routes like example from A-house to house right from it over A-arch and down to Market area with exit at Market stairs.)

There you go with some ideas based on just that bit of map design I remember from public servers and profound time of 15 minutes of coming up with them, so it is hard to say what kind of improvements competitive side would need...

Edited by Datamursu
  • Upvote 2

FrosteR    185

Citystreets layout doesn't need changing. The problem for the attacking team was the nuclear nades in COD4, the design is actually great. People who complain they get stuck as attack just don't know how to control market.

• Upvote 2

suNNN    11
40 minutes ago, FrosteR said:

Citystreets layout doesn't need changing. The problem for the attacking team was the nuclear nades in COD4, the design is actually great. People who complain they get stuck as attack just don't know how to control market.

If cars dont explode, it will need remake. Pushes would be much more easier.

• Downvote 1

FrosteR    185
2 hours ago, suNNN said:

If cars dont explode, it will need remake. Pushes would be much more easier.

Not really. Let's look at at the possible attack rushes:
SMG to car park -> is an idiot if he runs by the cars, you go to carpark, into the arches, then into A. Cars don't affect him unless it's a late nade
SMG to market stairs -> no cars anywhere near his rush route
SMG to small alley to catwalk -> once again, no cars anywhere near.

For defence:
SMG rushing car park -> only a barrel in A arch, no cars
SMG rushing B -> run left side, cars near bomb won't affect you, or run through fences
SMG rushing market, either side -> no cars anywhere near mid

So yeah, it would make literally zero difference if cars exploded or not, with the only exception of a late nade on car park (which usually doesnt even blow up both cars). Maybe the AK on B would have a few more spots behind the cars but you can just smoke him off and plant.

Edited by FrosteR
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

suNNN    11
11 hours ago, FrosteR said:

Not really. Let's look at at the possible attack rushes:
SMG to car park -> is an idiot if he runs by the cars, you go to carpark, into the arches, then into A. Cars don't affect him unless it's a late nade
SMG to market stairs -> no cars anywhere near his rush route
SMG to small alley to catwalk -> once again, no cars anywhere near.

For defence:
SMG rushing car park -> only a barrel in A arch, no cars
SMG rushing B -> run left side, cars near bomb won't affect you, or run through fences
SMG rushing market, either side -> no cars anywhere near mid

So yeah, it would make literally zero difference if cars exploded or not, with the only exception of a late nade on car park (which usually doesnt even blow up both cars). Maybe the AK on B would have a few more spots behind the cars but you can just smoke him off and plant.

Well, pushing park as attack will be much more easier, you don't need to take care of cars. For deffence scope watching mid from the spawn car is now easy also (it's common to nade scope there). And trust me or not, if you go B with SMG as deff. Sometimes you still die to car

FrosteR    185
1 hour ago, suNNN said:

Well, pushing park as attack will be much more easier, you don't need to take care of cars. For deffence scope watching mid from the spawn car is now easy also (it's common to nade scope there). And trust me or not, if you go B with SMG as deff. Sometimes you still die to car

Car park -> just nade the gate or near windows, easily timed for first rusher. Or let scope rush flowers or peek from A house door, they can't smoke that quickly.

Scope -> has a tiny bit more freedom, but useless anyway if you just throw the standard smokes as attack

SMG on B -> You won't get naded on cars if your anti-rush nades on left alley and right alley on catwalk are good, cus the car nade only works if you rush straight in. I almost never get naded there even as an AK rushing B link lol

Edited by FrosteR

suNNN    11
1 hour ago, FrosteR said:

Car park -> just nade the gate or near windows, easily timed for first rusher. Or let scope rush flowers or peek from A house door, they can't smoke that quickly.

Scope -> has a tiny bit more freedom, but useless anyway if you just throw the standard smokes as attack

SMG on B -> You won't get naded on cars if your anti-rush nades on left alley and right alley on catwalk are good, cus the car nade only works if you rush straight in. I almost never get naded there even as an AK rushing B link lol

I just say it would need some changes to be balanced... Playing park as attack will be much more easier because cars won't explode so you have more possibilities. Even we got killed there late game on OOF5 so you did. So you should definitely know without exploding cars and barrels pushes are more easier.

FrosteR    185
3 hours ago, suNNN said:

I just say it would need some changes to be balanced... Playing park as attack will be much more easier because cars won't explode so you have more possibilities. Even we got killed there late game on OOF5 so you did. So you should definitely know without exploding cars and barrels pushes are more easier.

You were talking about rushes, not late game.

Exploding cars would really not affect any rush on citystreets. Sure, late game it makes a difference, but rushes? Absolutely not.

suNNN    11
4 minutes ago, FrosteR said:

Exploding cars would really not affect any rush on citystreets. Sure, late game it makes a difference, but rushes? Absolutely not.

We can argue all day long about this and i think it's totally pointless. We both play CoD4 for very long time, maybe i have attended less LANs but both have experiences against the best teams. I accept what you write even though I think the cars affect the way you play :D 

• Upvote 1

ono    45
On 5/20/2017 at 3:56 PM, FrosteR said:

Exploding cars were a huge reason nobody rushed B..

I mean A site... 

Edited by ono
  • Upvote 4

FrosteR    185
3 hours ago, ono said:

Exploding cars were a huge reason nobody rushed B..

I mean A site... 

City has a B site? Power Gaming 2k10 tactics, 12 rounds slow A. :D