wiLLzki

Ranked Team Builder

14 posts in this topic

Hi all, was just browsing the forums and an idea popped into my head and I was wondering what everyone thought about it.

What if there was a 'Ranked Team Builder' feature in matchmaking? I'm thinking of the way it works in League of Legends where you pick your position and it places you into a team so no one is disputing about which position everyone will play. For Battalion, you could queue as a scope and get placed into a game with the 4 other positions. Smg gets placed with a scope and 3 other positions and so on. I was thinking about when I played ESL Versus for Cod4 promod years ago and you would get into a game only to have an awful scope trying to hit crazy noscopes and bounce-shots and what not. 

Scope queues as a scope, gets put into a team. If he's a responsible player and is having a poor game, he can drop the scope to someone else like any other situation. 

Thoughts?

First thought, skeptic to the idea but then again I'm not a 100% sure what you actually mean.....  9_9

Oh and I keep forgetting to welcome newcomers to the site, so welcome :)

10 minutes ago, Razor said:

First thought, skeptic to the idea but then again I'm not a 100% sure what you actually mean.....  9_9

Oh and I keep forgetting to welcome newcomers to the site, so welcome :)

Ranked Team Builder in League of Legends works like this:

Someone that plays mid would queue as a mid-player. He will be matched with a bottom player & support player, a top laner, and a jungler. It makes it easier on everyone else so you don't get into the game and you have 3 different people saying, "I  wanna play mid u prolly suk lol".

Was just wondering what people thought of this idea being in an fps. 

So you are trying to solve a problem with someone "bad" having a scope by "turning" old school shooter game into an fps moba game?

I mean what's exactly to choose there from? Sniper vs the rest? 

44 minutes ago, wiLLzki said:

you could queue as a scope and get placed into a game with the 4 other positions

Oh, so it's about you wanting to play scope every single game. Could you define "4 other positions"?

Posted (edited)

10 minutes ago, DarkMortyr said:

So you are trying to solve a problem with someone "bad" having a scope by "turning" old school shooter game into an fps moba game?

I mean what's exactly to choose there from? Sniper vs the rest? 

Oh, so it's about you wanting to play scope every single game. Could you define "4 other positions"?

Yea I suppose it does stray away from 'old-school shooter', didn't think about that. Isn't it obvious? There's a sniper, a smg, and in battalions case a rifler, and a trench. 

In cod4 there was a problem where every mix and pug you played you would have someone crying for scope the whole time. Some people even leaving the game, not playing at all, or tking the scope until he gave it up. That's the reason why this idea popped into my head. 

It's not about me wanting to play scope every single game. Maybe that's why I used "you" instead of "I"? Plus, I'm a smg anyway. ;)

Edited by wiLLzki

I get the idea and I think it could go one of two ways:

1. The players do fine, and they work together and people don't moan about being given their class slot because they had to pick
  2. Or players find it boring because they want to do something in a lane as playing scope for 24 rounds or there about would get boring, or at least for me. I like being able to take an SMG and do something different. Also, as the scope is the unique slot in games like CoD due to it often being the only one with a 1 hit rifle, wont people then just queue as a scope?

I think people have changed since then, either the guy playing scope will just say "Sure, here you go" or the other guy just accepts the other guy wants to snipe.

I don't think that's needed cuz there will be economic system where you can pick different kinds of weapons that's available for you to pick. So for example one team can have 5 scopes while other team can have 5 smgs and all those cards are gone, there is no savings.

But as Joe said they are still experimenting it so it will work perfectly for competitive play.

One thing that would be sweet to add is weapon "badge" (or something). The game calculates your most best weapon you used and played good at and players can see that "badge" so they will know which weapon you are using great.

@Masser got a point here for sure! So yea, I'm still skeptical to all this....

Cool! Thanks for the replies guys!

I like the idea! But with the ''new'' system Battalion is going for, like a maximum of 10 scopes/24 rounds i think it's gonna take your point away abit. Your idea would have been perfect for a game like OW. Not saying it wouldn't work in Battalion tho :)

In my opinion it would be more benificial to being able to decide how one "queues".

Such as checkboxes if you want to i.e play with/against:
• other solo players
• at least a 2/3/4 premade group
• whatever first match it finds in your skill group/elo/rank/whatever
• etc

Same goes for when you and your friends queue up as an actual team. Most of the time you will not learn much if you go up against five solo queuers. A checkbox to indicate you wish to be placed another group of 5 would be much better. Obviously the matchmaking would try it best to make this happen anyway, but any of us who have used a matchmaking system in any game will most likely have experience being put against a full team or soloqueuers when you, yourself are as a team or solo player.

Choosing to queue as a specific, in lack of a better word, class makes more sense if there are actual classes. Does that make sense? Such as League Of Legends. For example, I think Overwatch would benefit from that particular system. From what I've heard regarding the card/reward/asset system Bulkhead and Batallion is shooting for I believe it's extremely important to be flexible. You might prefer to play as a sniper or perhaps a shotgunner, but if you're not flexible enough to hang that role up on the wall for a few rounds that entire idea kind of falls flat.

Another risk will be that people will use it as an excuse to be pricks about it. "Could we please try to do X" could easily be shot back with "No, I queued as role Y so no!". 

7 minutes ago, chippy said:

In my opinion it would be more benificial to being able to decide how one "queues".

Such as checkboxes if you want to i.e play with/against:
• other solo players
• at least a 2/3/4 premade group
• whatever first match it finds in your skill group/elo/rank/whatever
• etc

Same goes for when you and your friends queue up as an actual team. Most of the time you will not learn much if you go up against five solo queuers. A checkbox to indicate you wish to be placed another group of 5 would be much better. Obviously the matchmaking would try it best to make this happen anyway, but any of us who have used a matchmaking system in any game will most likely have experience being put against a full team or soloqueuers when you, yourself are as a team or solo player.

Choosing to queue as a specific, in lack of a better word, class makes more sense if there are actual classes. Does that make sense? Such as League Of Legends. For example, I think Overwatch would benefit from that particular system. From what I've heard regarding the card/reward/asset system Bulkhead and Batallion is shooting for I believe it's extremely important to be flexible. You might prefer to play as a sniper or perhaps a shotgunner, but if you're not flexible enough to hang that role up on the wall for a few rounds that entire idea kind of falls flat.

Another risk will be that people will use it as an excuse to be pricks about it. "Could we please try to do X" could easily be shot back with "No, I queued as role Y so no!". 

Agreed. 

Yeh our econ system works differently; players will need to be good at multiple roles. You can't just be a rifler etc.

Joe

I'm probably naive but each fight see a natural evolution.

I was (and still) 200% against predefinite classes and the impossibility to change them during the match, so as I didn't like the "ranked matchmaking".

You learn by fighting against who is better than you and if you are good you have to be able to prove it even if you are "really the only good player into the squad". And don't forget that sometimes you will perhaps play in team and you will got "Error: to many level difference"

Really annoying thing (personal opinion).

If I start playing as sniper because normally it works, suddenly I can enter in a match where I see that sniper is useless. Or vice versa.

As you can see, personally I'm not really a fan of ideas like this one (but those are my personal 2 cents and I can understand yours 😘)