pylon

Movement System

17 posts in this topic

So I've read/heard in interviews that Battalion 1944 has almost replicated the CoD4 Promod movement system or is at least aiming to be close to it. I never played promod so was interested in seeing what all the hype was about. I searched around on youtube and found videos like this:

Honestly I'm not a fan of these bounce jumps or rocket jumps (panzer jumps in BT44?). The strafing, sprinting, and other aspects seem fine but these insane jumps just look too ridiculous and would break a lot of maps. Does anyone know if these "features" were programmed into Battalion 1944?

Posted (edited)

For a better view at the movement (but they are still tweaking it):

If i'm right the actual movement will be a little bit slower and a little bit less jumpy..

@pylon Welcome to the forum btw ;)

Edited by WeAsOne

Those crazy jumps were only available on vanila servers with rockets, 333 fps (promod max fps was 250) and were recorded by some "codjumpers" (guys, who played cod only to jump and were really good at it, but sucked at everything else :ph34r:). To give you a better example of promod's movement, watch some videos:

Posted (edited)

In that video on top and especially the 3rd video the movement looks weird because you land a jump from 5 meters high and then jump up to 5 meters high again...

Don't think that will be possible at Battalion...

Edited by WeAsOne

It's bounce and it won't be possible in Battalion as far as i remember.

Bounces won't be in, what has been replicated is the strafe acceleration. I see no reason for a rocketlauncher to be in this game, so that shouldn't be a concern either.

Honestly the fast movement is a lot of what we saw in the classic cod games, like cod1 and 2. That being said as we saw in call of duty 1.1 they had a lot of bouncing, which made you basically fly really fast with continuous jumping. In later versions they took this feature out and a new mod was created to include sprint. My guess is that Battalion 1944 will not be this broken, but I do hope that there is some sort of "brokeness" in the game. Game's that are too limited are boring. Take the new cod games, you can fly around and climb on walls, but everything is blocked off and the map is too limited.  

Hopefully it's not that broken, but I do hope that it is faster paced, and not too slow. 

Bulkhead posted this one a while back:

"Today we can show you a short clip of the new work in progress animations to help smooth out Battalion 1944’s gameplay. Strafing from left to right and back will now blend animation states together smoothly, with things such as feet adjusting themselves to balance the player character in a realistic manner "

7 hours ago, Smiley said:

Game's that are too limited are boring. Take the new cod games, you can fly around and climb on walls, but everything is blocked off and the map is too limited.  

you make an excellent point here @Smiley. after playing games like titanfall, destiny and overwatch i go back to a cod game and notice they have so many invisible walls that severely limit your movement around the map. this makes the map static and one-dimensional. hopefully, this will be one area that Bat44 will improve on the old games.

7 hours ago, Farq-S said:

you make an excellent point here @Smiley. after playing games like titanfall, destiny and overwatch i go back to a cod game and notice they have so many invisible walls that severely limit your movement around the map. this makes the map static and one-dimensional. hopefully, this will be one area that Bat44 will improve on the old games.

I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite things about the older cod games was perfecting my routes around maps and finding that one little wall-hug that got me to A before the allies every time, or cheeky plant spots, or ledges for innovative angles. Players will find the best spots and angles on their own via gameplay, no need to pidgeonhole the approach. 

Posted (edited)

It also forces people to perfect a certain way of playing. It's boring when the fastest way to A is just run there. If you gotta strafe certain jumps, and hold walls and go above and beyond it makes it more satisfying, and rewarding.

Also @Razor in that video is it just me, or is the body moving faster than the feet are moving?? Kind of tripping me out haha. Looks good though

Edited by Smiley

Strafe jumping takes certain level of skill. It makes the game more dynamic, fun (subjective - but less stereotype than just a sprint and also less "crazy" than flying / wall running) and opens more options on how to react in certain situations. I loved that in CoD4, it just simply felt great and very satisfying when you used it right. It's a very specific element which I have been looking for for a long time and one of the reasons why I am looking forward to Battalion.

3 hours ago, DarkMortyr said:

Strafe jumping takes certain level of skill. It makes the game more dynamic, fun (subjective - but less stereotype than just a sprint and also less "crazy" than flying / wall running) and opens more options on how to react in certain situations. I loved that in CoD4, it just simply felt great and very satisfying when you used it right. It's a very specific element which I have been looking for for a long time and one of the reasons why I am looking forward to Battalion.

And it gave you a significant advantage. So many good smg:s were able to rush before nades to A site on Strike attack thanks to some excelent movement mechanics.

I, on the other hand always was blown up by that fucking car :D

There is also one thing that not everybody might realize. It rewarded movement and kinda countered camping. Because when you knew someone is or might be camping somewhere, by simple strafe jumping around the corner / cover you got yourself into significant advantage as you were a fast moving target but he wasn't. Ofc, you couldn't use it every single time and it was very situational but that option was there and it was great. In other fps games, you will face a situations when you feel like someone is camping right around the corner and that you might get killed at the very second he sees your gun. Sure you could just peek and prefire but CoD4 gave you that one more option. Good usage of strafing really separated good player from bad player.

6 hours ago, Cookiebot said:

And it gave you a significant advantage. So many good smg:s were able to rush before nades to A site on Strike attack thanks to some excelent movement mechanics.

That's a great example of 'easy to learn, hard to master' principle :)  And that's why so many people, including devs wanted strafes to be in Battalion.

Posted (edited)

12 hours ago, Cookiebot said:

I, on the other hand always was blown up by that fucking car :D

There's a way to nade the car even faster so nobody would cross it fast. ^_^

Edited by Jakovec12

On 5/4/2017 at 3:12 AM, Smiley said:

It also forces people to perfect a certain way of playing. It's boring when the fastest way to A is just run there. If you gotta strafe certain jumps, and hold walls and go above and beyond it makes it more satisfying, and rewarding.

Also @Razor in that video is it just me, or is the body moving faster than the feet are moving?? Kind of tripping me out haha. Looks good though

Couldn't agree more Smiley!

About that video, it sure does look like it. Specially when he walks/runs backwards lol but it's still alpha so we'll see :)