Switz

Before shots are fired. Reminder!

Switz    44

For any who have never been involved in a Alpha version of a Kickstarter backed game before.

Keep in mind that you will be playing only the very first 5% of what the entire game will have to offer.  Not only that, much of that 5% will change a lot from what you will see the first time you play it.  

I have been involved in several KS backed alpha tests and even knowing this I am still surprised how "rough" these games are, so those who have never done one before are in for a surprise.  

I guess what I am trying to say is, don't form conclusions in your very first play through.  Be open minded, expect problems and most importantly, know that you are a backer.  Not a "see the game first" player because what you will be seeing is hardly enough to call it "the game" yet.  

There are some VERY tough critics out there regarding the recent surge of WW2 games (Fog of War and Days of War).  People fail to understand that all they are playing is the foundation of a game, not the game itself.  It is a long road and surprisingly, it may very well be COD WW2 through the Gate first when all is said and done yet they announced a full year after.  That is what you get with games developed by huge companies and endless funds.  

Anyone here who has backed and started in a Alpha before can and should describe your experiences for those who will be doing this for the first time to help them not get disheartened.  Obviously this is not a warning post any developer will ever post else that would kind of be a bummer lol, but for us players, let's help out each other in spreading awareness and understanding about games going through development.  

• Upvote 25

skitelo    52

I played DayZ Standalone in 2013 when they stepped into Early Access. No alpha can be worse than that :D

Edited by skitelo
  • Upvote 3

Sergionator    2
On 28/4/2017 at 5:13 PM, skitelo said:

I played DayZ Standalone in 2013 when they stepped into Early Access. No alpha can be worse than that :D

You are a true hero.

Koffee    17

Very good point, shame that we have to outline it for people who are unable to use common sense lol. But yeah 1+ anyway

• Upvote 1

If Battalion 1944 had been a Zombie/Survival game, it would probably have been in early acces/beta forever. Which really seems to destroy games and it's communities over time. Cause people get frustrated because the game seems to be in EA/beta forever, doesn't recieve updates and/or the developer goes inactive regarding updates and response. At least Bulhead isn't doing neither of those things + no public beta, which saves the game from toxic testers and reviewers.

• Upvote 1

Switz    44
1 hour ago, TheAnarchist said:

If Battalion 1944 had been a Zombie/Survival game, it would probably have been in early acces/beta forever. Which really seems to destroy games and it's communities over time. Cause people get frustrated because the game seems to be in EA/beta forever, doesn't recieve updates and/or the developer goes inactive regarding updates and response. At least Bulhead isn't doing neither of those things + no public beta, which saves the game from toxic testers and reviewers.

Not saying they will, but it is always more fun when you "make" things instead of tweak/code.  BATT44 has not even gotten into update phase while people are in game.  I have my doubts they will be slow, but too early to judge.  

People are extremely impatient on Steam.  BAT44 will have it's haters just like the rest in EA.  Just a insane expectation and general hatred/trolling towards development.  Enjoy Alpha/Beta while it lasts with like minded folks who are supporting the game rather than complaining about everything on the planet and act like 2-3 weeks between updates is undeserving of their precious time.  BAT44 is taking a unique stance with weekend only playing times.  It is already cathing flak, but it will help more with development and actually is a move for the betterment of the community/players than anyone realizes.  It just won't ever "prove" itself to those who think they know more so it will always get blasted.  Just a small taste of hat to expect when you get on Steam.  

(I hate EA's....not the games, but the communities!  OMG I hate them.  And if you try to talk common sense into people you are labeled a fanboy.  Hopefully with a publisher BAT44 can just sit in Alpha/Beta for a very long time before suffering through it)

Edited by Switz

One more tip coming from my own trial and error experience in other games (it applies even for full releases, but it's even more inportant in alpha/beta tests)... giving feedback is key. However, it also is worth remembering that presenting it in an easy to read way is just as important. A 3-page wall of text without paragraphs will be quite tough to get through.

For bug reports, two often forgotten, yet crucial aspects are reproduction steps and evidence. Providing these really cuts the time of bug verification and fixing down. Also, while it depends on dev team, usually it's heavily preferred to comment on one bug in one thread/submission rather than make a new report about the same thing.

If frustration will be sneaking in for you... trying to use it towards something good helps. When I got upset, I sometimes went on 'bug hunt free roam', where I just started doing stupid things on an empty server with a hope that I randomly get some bugs I could send up. Sounds weird, but works. If frustration is still there... sometimes taking a break is the best choice (and that really applies for every game in existence if you ask me).

Edited by spitfiresiemion
Expanding train of thought
  • Upvote 6

This post is needed more than any I've seen here so far.  

The rate of people who drop out of an Alpha always surprises me and it's always the same reason: Boring.  Man, guys and gals this will be boring.  It will be repetitive and taxing on your time and patience.  And, in the end, it will all be worth it.  I'm so ready to get started.

Be ready for this scenario: Forgive me if I eat a nade in the corner every once in a while for a bathroom break....I'll be back. :)  <<<<Due to time zones around the world: Dinner\Lunch\Breakfast can be substituted for Bio break.  If I miss something while I'm away you can fill me in when I get back.  This will happen but don't get down on the process it's all so that we can help create the best game possible.  

BlueSmiley    63

Every player should get a on-screen warning like this before entering the game. :P +1. Well said, Sir.

smash69420    1

At this stage in the process, I think excitement should be drawn from the opportunity to help the devs put together an amazing product. The people who have been longing for a game like this are already here, or should be soon. Consistent communication and valuable feedback can save a lot of time for everyone involved and this is much more of a QA experience than a "early access" game.

Good luck to everyone with a key!

Ultros    0
On ‎28‎.‎4‎.‎2017 at 6:13 PM, skitelo said:

You sir have nerves of steel :D

MaB Rev_Bob    11

Cracking post old bean.

Now also bear in mind the server locations for the Alpha, if you are up against moi and I have a colt 45 and you have a sub machine gun, don't whinge if I kill you (chance is nil with my eyesight) the fact is you may be in Texas and I am 40 miles from the Devs Alpha server in Derby U.K. Tuna one of the God,s who has already spoken on these hallowed forums with stateth". That the Alpha server locations will be released forthwith, "

In a nut shell as always bend  your weapon shots to compensate for latency and high low pings.

NB. My pings will be high teens yours will be 100 +

Edited by MaB Rev_Bob

PGL_Ace    19

Let's just take a moment of silence for all the games in Early Access that will never be finished.

Then punch your fists in the air and cheer that BI seem to be the furthest thing away from those types of devs.

• Upvote 1

Great post, FEEDBACK IS EVERYTHING.

Also worth noting; because you don't like something, or you aren't good with something, or you had a bad game with something... and then we don't change it... doesn't mean we aren't listening it just means we have bigger plans.

Weapon balancing for instance; there are like 9 other weapons to come in yet.. Certain guns are less powerful in certain situations and maps.

Enjoy fragging guys! look out for the [DEV] Tags.

• Upvote 1

PGL_Ace    19
6 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Enjoy fragging guys! look out for the [DEV] Tags.

Like a crosshair painted on your back ;)

dev_target.png.447888c5bd5257e5d3dededac484bab7.png

BerNa    11

great post!

I like this community so far and I hope we can hold this high level.

Switz    44

Happy to see someone bumped this.  I meant to before Alpha released but never got around to it.  I am already seeing the expected "hate" threads.  SMH.  

Just know, what you are playing is NORMAL!!!!  Do not fear, do not have reservations and definitely do not form a conclusion.  I have not even played it, but it is the same thing every Alpha version game I have ever played.  You have many many many months to go before you can accurately make those decisions about the game or any other game you play before release from a smaller or independent studio (because most of the time you play a "EA" from a large title, the product you start out with is eons further in development). 

Instead, with these smaller studios, you are starting at the very first framework of the game.  The very first 5% of it. It will always 100% have lots of issues.  

Now for your second PSA now that Alpha has been released

All those bugs you and others are finding - ADD THEM!  Hopefully a good system is in place for organizing them all from the Devs side.  However, this list will be large if you all get to see it.  It will take all the way up to EA before 90% or more of these are corrected.  BAT44 has not announced their EA dates yet, but we can assume it will be very late 2017 or even 2018.  So if the list is say 125 items....that is only 5 items a week that you can realistically expect to be repaired.  And that is of course if they update each week which is rare after the first few weeks.  

Youll see some very small changes every update in the next half year, but not anything huge for a while in terms of making the game drastically better or different.  Just go ahead and accept that.  

But eventually, content will come once the Devs are in a good place.  That does not just mean more maps, weapons, classes, etc.  That also means lighting, ambiance, shaders, blood, effects, etc etc.  What you are playing now is basically all of the eye candy turned off since that is not the most important item right now.  

So remain patient for the most of you.  And for the few who are very demanding, honestly....take this as a learning lesson and stay away from letting yourself get into the "I can play it first" mentality before you ever grab a EA or earlier version game again.  You guys do so much harm to the games ratings, future and Developers willpower to make the game what it can be if only a little patience was/is given.  

Edited by Switz
  • Upvote 2