xXclusiivE    3

TL;DR - Forums are getting toxic and not welcoming.

May 1st, 2016 - Nov 2016

The forums were not very active and we had a one or two new threads come up a week. Everyone discussed it and everyone got along with one and other. The casuals would suggest and idea and the competitive guys would give constructive criticism and not belittling criticism and vice versa. Everyone respect everyone's opinions and peacefully discussed ideas and such.

End of Nov - Dec 2016

We suddenly see a flock of competitive guys come on the forums. Now I clearly remember a casual guy posting an idea and these new guys with less then a week or so on the forum verbally beating him. Belittling him because his idea's are stupid and would never work in a competitive scene. Now this guy is not going to just stand there and take it so he begins to fight back. Now I see some more people who have been on the forums for almost a year but they creep out of the shadows and join the fight. The domino effect goes in to place and now the War starts, competitive and casual guys go at each others throats.

Present day

People have been fighting for so long that just the names of certain people now trigger one and other and the respect is gone and there is no way that even if their suggestions are valid they will down vote them or hate on it anyway.

Figurative example: I would bet that if I posted "have a great day everyone" I would receive two reputation notifications but when I go to look it would say "0" just because two people down voted and made it neutral just because of who I am.

Literal example: Someone wanted a trello so I responded respectfully "Doesn't seem necessary right now. Creating a Trello is pretty much showing everything that they want to create which ruins the surprise for everyone."

Now if we had a trello all the devs ideas and future plans would be out in the open, no surprises and if they had to remove some ideas that people loved then there would be a huge outcry. After the NDA then sure a trello would be amazing!

Literal example: Some guy asked what single player story you found the best and if you play single player games."For myself it was COD: Big Red One. I use to get into that campaign so much that I actually use to get upset when some of the co-main characters died as the war progressed. Back to the subject I always play single player games. When I need to relax I always play a single player game."

I responded respectfully yet this had 2 upvotes but became neutral from two down votes. Why? I mean it was me telling people about my childhood and a game I loved.

Literal example: Someone tried to take my COD 2017 thread off topic. "What does this have too do with COD 2017?"

This is a respectful question as to why and there was no intention of disrespect in it yet it received down votes again.

So is this enough information, can anyone see the direction the forums are going. People may say of you're over reacting but no I am not, I am trying to put into reality that this forum is not welcoming, people who come here are not going to get a good first impression and first impressions are everything. I had my ups and downs but I cooled off over the past 2 months and others have noticed this.

Edited by xXclusiivE
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

skitelo    52
21 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

End of Nov - Dec 2016

We suddenly see a flock of competitive guys come on the forums.

Blame phantasy :D 

As to competitive-casual war, Battalion was announced as competitive old school shooter from the very beginning, yet many people saw this bad prototype gameplay from KS and thought it was WW2 mil-sim. You can play competitive game casually and have a lot of fun, but you can't play casual game competitively.

• Upvote 3

xXclusiivE    3

FU phantasy!! xD kidding obvi, but its amazing that people are coming in here but the attitude they bring with them is the problem.

• Upvote 1

rmpel    15

well this is just how modern gaming communitys are get over it m8. 

take a deep breath and dont take it personal u cant change it.

Soldat Ryan    348

Sadly, it is not specific to modern gaming communities but it is hard to accept it for people who still have some values and know the sense of words like "respect", "courtesy" ...

It is so easy, behind its computer, to be a "hater", instead to have a peacefull, clever and polite discussion.

And others members do not make distinction between a "hater" and an other member who is expressing a legit concern.

That's the world we live.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Farq-S    371

you and me have had DMs in the past @xXclusiivE so you know i respect your opinions and will not take it personally when i say that the big reason all your comments get downvoted is because some people on these forums know that you get triggered when they do it and sit back and wait for your reaction. you're not alone in noticing this but like i've said to you before, the only way to counter this toxic behaviour is to completely ignore it. continue to make your comments constructively based on good reasoning and facts and people won't be able to touch you. for me, this is the only way to conduct yourself on the forums if you intend to continue to positively contribute to the development of the game. everything else on the forums is just radio static to me.

are you really going to allow 4 or 5 people you've never met IRL on a public forum get under your skin? pull yourself together, man! stiff upper-lip, keep calm, and all that. we're british for god's sake....oh wait, you're canadian. close enough.

Edited by Farq-S
  • Upvote 1

Dogster    112

The comparison or video link was, I believe was to illustrate Activisions mercernary nature!  you seem unaware that Activision made both titles!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

xXclusiivE    3
9 minutes ago, Dogster said:

The comparison or video link was, I believe was to illustrate Activisions mercernary nature!  you seem unaware that Activision made both titles!

Could careless about the producer, the topic was about the game it's self.

• Downvote 5

Dogster    112

..... and you dont think knowing about who you are dealing with is important? Surely it should be ok to talk about the guys who actually make the game, and their history of DLC rip offs! or are we all supposed to forget about that too!. it looks like the typical Hollywood version of WWII nice graphics sure enough but I bet the cost and the DLC is gonna be astronomical! and Nazi Zombies... oh please!

• Upvote 3

xXclusiivE    3
5 hours ago, Dogster said:

..... and you dont think knowing about who you are dealing with is important? Surely it should be ok to talk about the guys who actually make the game, and their history of DLC rip offs! or are we all supposed to forget about that too!. it looks like the typical Hollywood version of WWII nice graphics sure enough but I bet the cost and the DLC is gonna be astronomical! and Nazi Zombies... oh please!

Activision do not make games.. They are a producer not developer. They are just the bank account.

• Downvote 5

jcuz    103
15 minutes ago, xXclusiivE said:

Activision do not make games.. They are a producer not developer. They are just the bank account.

They definitely play a role which is larger than just being a bank account.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

seekax    167

To be honest as long as an argument doesn't turn into a bunch of ad hominems i'm perfectly fine with a bit of heat, that's fairly normal when people who are passionate about something disagree. I'd rather have a community where people care enough to start an argument lasting 10 pages than one which doesn't care. 

People quite often mistake bluntness for a personal attack, but considering the vast majority of us are adults i think getting told that an idea is terrible without sugarcoating it should be something everybody can handle.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Dogster    112

That why this is called a discussion forum not an announcement forum. You don't get to make pronouncements sit back and expect nobody to have an opinion. Making a post expecting a unanimous chorus of approval ain't gonna happen. We have all been caught out by large companies exploiting some peoples inability to complete a game without DLC or not being prepared to be the same as the next guy. Sadly some of us have also been caught out by smaller ones too (Days of War) so a little healthy investigation that goes a little deeper than the glossy adverts is wholly advisable!

image.jpeg

Edited by Dogster
  • Upvote 2

Ryssk    23

Problem isnt that the forum is getting toxic and not welcoming, is that the people behind their ideas or posts are taking it waaaaaay to personally than they should.. And tend to be super agressive when somebody questions or disagree with their post.

I do understand people who are passionate about the game, but there's no need to be a psychopath-passionate about things. (IRL they're called SJWS right?) :)

And i still think the whole "Reputation" system should be gone, it's clearly being abused left and right and something that got implemented without really giving it an extra thought..

If somebody is being a total jerk, most people already know it.. No need to "stamp" him as the jerk.. Think this was a really bad idea to implement into this forum..

It's better that people can make their own judgement of a character, not by looking at stats...

Edited by Ryssk
  • Upvote 4

powerZ    9
2 hours ago, Ryssk said:

Problem isnt that the forum is getting toxic and not welcoming, is that the people behind their ideas or posts are taking it waaaaaay to personally than they should.. And tend to be super agressive when somebody questions or disagree with their post.

I do understand people who are passionate about the game, but there's no need to be a psychopath-passionate about things. (IRL they're called SJWS right?) :)

And i still think the whole "Reputation" system should be gone, it's clearly being abused left and right and something that got implemented without really giving it an extra thought..

If somebody is being a total jerk, most people already know it.. No need to "stamp" him as the jerk.. Think this was a really bad idea to implement into this forum..

It's better that people can make their own judgement of a character, not by looking at stats...

I dont think they should remove the repuation system BUT they should remove the "negative reputation". Getting downvoted for bringing new ideas in is not the right way to do things. Its like an fascist regime here if you cant express your ideas without getting downvoted. A positive reputation could be more like a motivation to invest more in the community to make this game better. A forum is generelly about discussion so we could discuss new ideas and agree or disagree on whatever..... but in the end the developers will look at the ideas anyway and decide what they will implement in the game. With Alphas and Betas players will test the game and decide if a feature should be implemented or kicked out of the game. In the end is all about an AGREEMENT between players and developers to make the best game possible.

The rest is a problem of our modern society. Most of the people dont care what they write on the Internet. With a growing community will we automatically have more idiots in our community thats a problem we have to deal with.

In real life we have the law enforcement and our justice system. On the Internet we have forum rules and moderators for the forum. They need to overlook that everyone sticks to the forum rules.

Its not a 100% System in real life we also have murderers, rapists, thiefs etc. and on forums we will have selfish users, trolls etc.... nothing is perfect ;)

Edited by powerZ

MrSandman    9

I think this has been pretty much the same with every official game forum I've been a member off. More people more, opinions, as the saying goes "Opinions are like asshioles, everyone has one"

The anonymity of the internet is the breeding ground for people to be aggressive, abusive with no fear of consequences. In real life most would probably never act this way.as they'd get their teeth smashed down their neck. The worst on the internet is they get banned and are back 2 minutes later with a new account. With an added sense of smugness at how they beat the system with their amazing skilz 9_9

Thankfully it's pretty much water off a ducks back to me, most forums have an ignore function and I use that. No point in arguing with idiots they will only drag you down to their level and beat you with experience as the saying goes.

• Upvote 1