RAFF

Any reason why alpha testing is only taking place in the weekend?

@[CM] BigTuna

Basically, only excuses and things you've said before. Not even one legit reason in your posts:)

If you're concerned with offline play security, allow us to play 24/7 online. 

And yes, people actually were going to practice in offline mode, even if things might change in the future. Also, there are plently of people that have already played battalion 1944, and you're giving us no way to reach the hours they will reach.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

You guys talking like alpha is for you guys to practice, but using "bug hunting" as an excuse. This is an alpha to test multiplayer, and the studio feels comfortable if they take the week to make a new build for the weekend. So be patient, just play on the weekend. It really isn't that big of a deal, lol. Also, alpha was never guaranteed for offline play. Last I asked Tuna, he gave me a "soft" yes but wasn't sure as it was too early to tell. Now that we're closer, we have our answer. You pay $70 for every version of Battalion 1944, and to have your values implemented into a game that has potential of running for a while. So let the devs do their job in alpha and we do ours. Calm down lol.

inb4 many downvotes.

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, sh0tyz said:

You guys talking like alpha is for you guys to practice, but using "bug hunting" as an excuse. This is an alpha to test multiplayer, and the studio feels comfortable if they take the week to make a new build for the weekend. So be patient, just play on the weekend. It really isn't that big of a deal, lol. Also, alpha was never guaranteed for offline play. Last I asked Tuna, he gave me a "soft" yes but wasn't sure as it was too early to tell. Now that we're closer, we have our answer. You pay $70 for every version of Battalion 1944, and to have your values implemented into a game that has potential of running for a while. So let the devs do their job in alpha and we do ours. Calm down lol.

inb4 many downvotes.

are you really that naive?

people will practice their bollox off anyway

Just now, skitelo said:

Upvoted you cause i find it so funny that people want to practice from alpha's day 1 (or rather weekend 1) :D

lmao at those people that want to get good

they clearly have no faith in the game!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

Just now, RAFF said:

are you really that naive?

people will practice their bollox off anyway

Lol....

You obviously missed the point. The point isn't that they're going to practice. That's an obvious. I will be one of them lol. But the difference is, I'm not the one flaming the forums and getting angry over the offline topic like some of you. Then you guys complain to devs saying using "bug hunting" as an excuse just to play offline when that is out of the studio's comfort zone for security reasons. Then when they give you a reason to why they made this decision, you guys blow it off as if it was an excuse. Lmfao...

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, RAFF said:

@[CM] BigTuna

Also, there are plently of people that have already played battalion 1944, and you're giving us no way to reach the hours they will reach.

Dude... LOL. A few people played it at a COD2 LAN for like 10 minutes each, same at rezzed and phantasy played it a few times at their studio.

Not like 30mins of playtime is going to give anyone a big headstart. Years of FPS experience on a competitive level will :)

Also to answer your other question, they clearly said they will patch mid-week and resume play during weekends. They aren't a studio of 500 developers who can both keep the servers up and running during the week AND work on patching it etc. 

Edited by FrosteR
  • Upvote 8

my 2 cents is for the testing, not play time....i couldn't care less about "practicing".....i wanna test the game on my own time and be able to say i feel i have done what i can to improve it in the closed alpha

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It is pretty ingenious TBH.  I do not know if it has been mentioned yet, but by limiting times it can be played, you instantly increase the life span.  Not saying the game will die or anything like that.  You'll see plenty of that from self proclaimed EA police on Steam that all EA's have to suffer through.  But you'll not have instances where a player will log in one day and only find a few people playing which is the risk you will 100% run 3 weeks into Alpha if running 24/7.  By setting up a specific time that player can play, people will naturally try harder to actually be there because they will not take it for granted.  

A lot of you will be in for a rude awakening if you have never played a Alpha version of a game before based on your expectations and unflinching support I have noticed which will make you prime targets for becoming disengaged which is even more harmful than the average troll.  Ignore the naysayers and trolls.  Yes I know I get pegged as a Troll for talking about the KS comparison, but that is not a critique about the actual game itself and moreso about other things which I will not do (or respond) here and derail the thread.  But there will be bugs.  You will find a partially playable game.  That is how these things work and don't let others get you down.  With only specific playing times though, this will be the best course of action.

Then of course it also lowers the amount of bugs that are found.  Sure, wisdom would say find as many as possible, but humans can only fix one bug at a time.  This will help not overwhelm the devs.  

Edited by Switz
  • Upvote 2

8 hours ago, sh0tyz said:

inb4 many downvotes.

OFF TOPIC

No down vote from my side.

Just a little feedback.

I wouldn't make practice. I'm a Not Good But Crazy: I really didn't care about scores/... even if sometimes you will hear me say something like "Oh... 0-10! It's time to wake me up! I go make a coffee, or maybe a beer to survive".

I like play on game for fun, without stress, but I like have a good game.

For testing I would love to have a theatre camera too... If not I always need to find a teammate, make our own film, and see if my cover position is really a cover one or, like in some games, I think to have out just my head and than see into the kill cam that I was fast totally visible.

This OFF topic was just to say that If I'm here is to test and help, not for others reasons.

?

Have a nice day ☕

Edited by [NGBC]CH_SwissWolf
  • Upvote 1

You have to realise there are people who payed a full AAA price (Including me) for a game that is being kickstarted by a company that never made any FPS games before, and i cant ignore the feeling that i kinda feel robbed now that we cant boot up the Alpha in offline mode even tho it was promised before.

If you have a problem with people leaking the build or w.e just put a big unremovable branding in the top of the screen with ALPHA BUILD (not final) or something.

• Downvote 5

Guys, this is their job. Let them do it. They want to do it this way which makes sense as others have mentioned, due to:

1. A higher concentration of people who will be playing at one time, rather than them being spread over an entire week.
  2. You will become potentially burnt out if it is allowed to play during the week, you will spend hours playing and things such as bugs and glitches will let get in your way. If you intend to practice, then you are in the alpha for the wrong reasons considering it likely will be quite buggy and all over the place in terms of glitches, animations ect.
  3. It is a better idea to not allow for offline play as if you can play it offline then it leaves the game exploitable potentially on the server side. People would have the files likely and so the developers have decided it's safer to not have those files within the reach of people in the Alpha. Once again, even though you could do some bug hunting offline, things such as 3rd person animations, sound effects and all of that stuff which they would want to be fixed. 3rd person animations I would imagine are a priority considering they said they were working on them only recently.

I know that it seems arbitrary in terms of logic considering you could argue that without the Kickstarter supporters and those who pre0ordered the game the studio wouldn't be here, but you paid to support them, not to have your every word and idea implemented. It's no different than giving a streamer £30 lets say. You supported, yes. Does that mean you get to decide what games they play or anything? No. It's the same here. You paid to support them in making their game, and that only gives you so much in terms of influence.

• Upvote 6

Hey,

Basically, only excuses and things you've said before. Not even one legit reason in your posts:)

So @[CM] BigTuna isn't a dev, when you guys ask questions he turns around to us (he's sat behind me) and ask us the questions you guys want answers for. We're super busy and don't tell him everything in detail or the explicit reasons we decide to do things, so attacking him for just relaying tid-bits of info for you guys isn't cool.

However, spreading misinformation isn't cool either (from both ours and the community standpoint) so that means we may have to be more tight lipped about these things from now on until we're ready to make official announcements as people get outraged pretty easily. We've said before it's one of the downsides of being open/raw about development. It's a balancing act we're still working on refining :)

In terms of the actual main questions of this thread, everything we do is for the benefit of the game. It'd be great if we could just let everyone just hop straight into the game whenever they wanted, but the reality is that this would be bad for the game and the community. Joe's listing out some reasons next to me right now to explain some things literally as I'm typing this reply, so I'll let him carry on from what I'm writing, but we'll have a full schedule released soon explaining what we'll be testing, when we'll be testing and how everything will work.

It's very important we do this right, and introducing things slowly to you guys will be much more beneficial for the game and development in the long run as we'll have more time to fix the large glaring issues and you'll actively see improvement and new content week to week. This is a very small closed alpha player pool and we need to make sure we maximise the amount of players during the testing periods to make sure we get the most effective feedback based on the latest weekly builds of the game. We have always said Alpha/Beta sessions are not marketing tools like modern Alpha/Beta sessions for AAA studios which just let you play a demo of the game before it's out, they're for helping us test and build the game we all want to eventually play as our main game we play every night.

Hope that clears up some answers. More official info will be coming soon.

• Upvote 12

12 hours ago, RAFF said:

@[CM] BigTuna

Tuna is doing his job and liaising with the community. 

If you think we're not saying legitimate reasons, that's on you. Because we certainly do have legitimate reasons.

I'm one of the main people behind keeping the alpha windows short and sweet. We want to test things with a large group of players, we want to hammer the game when you guys are on and we can't do that if we have 50% population or even lower. Also, after a couple of weeks people might and probably will show less interest in the alpha and helping us test, if we keep the windows short we will be more likely to grab people's attention.  

We take our alpha very seriously, I'm so impressed that our community has cared this much about the game and I'm always touched when we get people passionately asking to play the game, because really that's all your asking right? Let us play the game! 

But trust us, we know what we're doing, every decision we make here is for the benefit of Battalion in the long run. Lots of games rush to the finish line and try and get things out the door. Without offending any developer, I merely think their methods didn't work; Days of War and Dirty Bomb, both games had big open alphas where people could just play the game all the time... feel free to go and check their player counts now. Both polished and complete games, but neither lasted much more than a month.

Now if you look at; Quake Champions, they've been doing private weekend alpha sessions for a few weeks now and it's been very good and super fun; however even at peak times we've had to wait 3 to 4 minutes to find a game. 

Concurrent players are a luxury and players don't realise the significance. Look at these statistics: http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ 

Rainbow 6 Siege: 1.8m steam users own this game / Highest Peak concurrent players; 45,000 (2.5%).. 
Based on that ratio: Battalion has around 6500 players in the alpha / Peak concurrent players 162 (2.5%)..

So those numbers obviously aren't exact AT ALL or even that useful, but they get the the point across; that just because you want the game to be open and available at all times, doesn't mean everyone agrees and will be ready to play at the same time as you.

I also understand you want to jump around and practice or even test locally but we want to have you guys hammer the game on the weekend then discuss the issues and possible fixes (for balancing) throughout the week, we want to have active discussions in the week and then apply changes in the next alpha weekend. 

Joe

• Upvote 12

I feel sorry for the devs who are trying to be open and transparant and certain members of the community lash out at them at every single thing that changes. People have been crying for developers to be transparant for years, now they are and yet these people still complain. Things change all the time (and rightfully so), sometimes things don't work as expected so they have to be changed. Show some respect instead of freaking out at everything the devs change. 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, dAYZ said:

You have to realise there are people who payed a full AAA price (Including me) for a game that is being kickstarted by a company that never made any FPS games before, and i cant ignore the feeling that i kinda feel robbed now that we cant boot up the Alpha in offline mode even tho it was promised before.

If you have a problem with people leaking the build or w.e just put a big unremovable branding in the top of the screen with ALPHA BUILD (not final) or something.

offline mode was never promised. the devs were asked months ago if offline would be available and they said maybe. that doesn't amount to a promise.

• Upvote 7

8 minutes ago, FrosteR said:

I feel sorry for the devs who are trying to be open and transparant and certain members of the community lash out at them at every single thing that changes. People have been crying for developers to be transparant for years, now they are and yet these people still complain. Things change all the time (and rightfully so), sometimes things don't work as expected so they have to be changed. Show some respect instead of freaking out at everything the devs change. 

This. Kinda sucks that it's always the same group of people who complain.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Farq-S said:

offline mode was never promised. the devs were asked months ago if offline would be available and they said maybe. that doesn't amount to a promise.

I cant find the post right away, but i do know for damn sure it was confirmed in some way.
but I'm ok with it but i just cant ignore the fact that it kinda feels like a letdown but i get things will change during the development of a game thats why it's called development, but as Brammerton said it's just the eager to play Battalion 1944.

Edited by dAYZ

2 minutes ago, dAYZ said:

I cant find the post right away, but i do know for damn sure it was confirmed in some way.
but I'm ok with it but i just cant ignore the fact that it kinda feels like a letdown but i get things will change during the development of a game thats why it's called development, but as Brammerton said it's jut the eager to play Battalion 1944.

if you make claims of broken promises (which is a big thing in my book) you should be able to back them up with facts or don't make them in the first place. just saying.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

People care about this game, that's why there frustrated and rightly so. If we change something or decide to do something we will always have a reason for doing so and it will always be for making the game a better experience. 

We don't want people to play the game twice and say "that was fun" we want people to finish playing the game after 5 years and remember how frustrating trying to rank up was but how rewarding it was when you finally got there. 

Joe

• Upvote 5

47 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

wall of text...

Rainbow 6 Siege: 1.8m steam users own this game / Highest Peak concurrent players; 45,000 (2.5%).. 
Based on that ratio: Battalion has around 6500 players in the alpha / Peak concurrent players 162 (2.5%)..

So those numbers obviously aren't exact AT ALL or even that useful, but they get the the point across; that just because you want the game to be open and available at all times, doesn't mean everyone agrees and will be ready to play at the same time as you.

Joe

Based on the Kickstarter I counted ruffly 1800 alpha backers, 2700 beta backers and 6800 early access on PC platform. Does these numbers add up? Can you reveal how many bought the humble deal? Could it be around 4700 buyers based on what you said here?

42 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

People care about this game, that's why there frustrated and rightly so. If we change something or decide to do something we will always have a reason for doing so and it will always be for making the game a better experience. 

We don't want people to play the game twice and say "that was fun" we want people to finish playing the game after 5 years and remember how frustrating trying to rank up was but how rewarding it was when you finally got there. 

Joe

You may feel they are rightly frustrated and it may be true that some people feel annoyed at things changing. However, there are ways of expressing frustration that don't require throwing tantrums and getting mega salty (not specifically talking about this thread), simply cause they don't understand.

I don't have a clue about game development, so I don't pretend to know much about how the process should be carried out but it doesn't take much brain power to figure out there is no single correct way to making a game, which some people on here seem to think is the case. As I always have, I'll leave it to you guys to worry about the right way to develop and present Battalion because you're the qualified professionals. 

Whilst you guys do the hard bit, I'm getting more excited about going all in on those alpha weekends :D.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, WeAsOne said:

Seriously? Then sell your key to someone that wants to be part of this!

Why would i sell my key? i'm still highly interested in this game and hope it will revive the good ol' cod2 (clanbase) days.

Well, as usual I'm really glad to see your messages.

Personally I like the work of @[CM] BigTuna... surely not an easy one and I say them thank you.

From my side I hope that I was able to transmit rightly what I was meaning, my English is so poor... ??

Anyway... don't be afraid, I stay here ?