RAFF

Any reason why alpha testing is only taking place in the weekend?

122 posts in this topic

I don't see a reason why you wouldn't let players play online however much they want and only release updates when you want (probably for weekends). More playtime equals, at least in theory, more bugs discovered.

Is there something I`m missing?

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I am guessing that renting out servers 24/7 for weeks on end isn't in the budget and for testing purposes it doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering we will probably be able to play LAN by 3rd party programs like Hamachi on the weekdays. Unfortunately most of these 3rd party programs will require you to pay for more than a certain number of slots so 5v5 might be difficult :/ more like 2v2 would be comfortable with hamachi.

Edited by DukeNukem
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DukeNukem said:

I am guessing that renting out servers 24/7 for weeks on end isn't in the budget and for testing purposes it doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering we will probably be able to play LAN by 3rd party programs like Hamachi on the weekdays. Unfortunately most of these 3rd party programs will require you to pay for more than a certain number of slots so 5v5 might be difficult :/ more like 2v2 would be comfortable with hamachi.

Then let them ask for money. $5 per person to play unlimited time online/ ads, whatever. Cost is really not a good reason IMO.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Buy the alpha/beta access but pay more to play? idk....i don't think there would be many people who would bite on that type of idea

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DukeNukem said:

Buy the alpha/beta access but pay more to play? idk....i don't think there would be many people who would bite on that type of idea

It's a shitty idea, but it's already shitty if we paid $70 for alpha access and the reason we only play on weekends is that they can't afford servers.. Normally, it shouldn't be a problem for them to gather that much money.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RAFF said:

It's a shitty idea, but it's already shitty if we paid $70 for alpha access and the reason we only play on weekends is that they can't afford servers.. Normally, it shouldn't be a problem for them to gather that much money.

who knows maybe the devs will surprise us with 4-5 days of constant access towards the end of the close alpha. I don't see them having closed alpha servers running for more than that time frame. Closed Beta would be like a week or two of full access and the open beta or EA should be full blast, all around access. I mean in the end we are testing maps, style of play, gun recoil, and what not. Sure i would love to have 5v5 matches with friends all day long but we have to try to "break" the game in everyway. So 2-5 people testing in a LAN server at a time is normal

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DukeNukem said:

who knows maybe the devs will surprise us with 4-5 days of constant access towards the end of the close alpha. I don't see them having closed alpha servers running for more than that time frame. Closed Beta would be like a week or two of full access and the open beta or EA should be full blast, all around access. I mean in the end we are testing maps, style of play, gun recoil, and what not. Sure i would love to have 5v5 matches with friends all day long but we have to try to "break" the game in everyway. So 2-5 people testing in a LAN server at a time is normal

As if everyone can just get a lan party going :P

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

1 minute ago, RAFF said:

As if everyone can just get a lan party going :P

 

Hamachi broskie, free and max 5 people per lan "server" unless you pay for more slots :P GET ON THE FLOW

 

As long as Battalion offers that type of access within their multiplayer options. Otherwise we are S.O.O.L (sh*t out of luck)

Edited by DukeNukem
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DukeNukem said:

Hamachi broskie, free and max 5 people per lan "server" unless you pay for more slots :P GET ON THE FLOW

Have used it previously.. probably going to use it now too.. are you sure it's going to work? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Okay, so you paid $70 for the Full Game + Early Access + Beta + Alpha. We aren't a huge team. We don't have hundreds of programmers and employees to catalog bugs and report them. We can't push builds and remodel things within the hour. We need a little more time to work on these things, just a little though ;)

We will have a post explaining how the Alpha is going to work soon so keep an eye out for that :)

The Alpha will stretch across multiple weekends from Friday to Saturday. You'll have three full days of play over the weekend and a hard focussed time for you to report bugs. Instead of a few hours a night midweek. Then that will give us 4 days (mon, tues, wed, thurs) to implement changes and push a build for the next weekend. I am sure it will go fast don't worry!

Edited by [DEV] BRAMMERTRON
6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thx for the clarification Tuna :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, [CM] BigTuna said:

Okay, so you paid $70 for the Full Game + Early Access + Beta + Alpha. We aren't a huge team. We don't have hundreds of programmers and employees to catalog bugs and report them. We can't push builds and remodel things within the hour. We need a little more time to work on these things, just a little though ;)

We will have a post explaining how the Alpha is going to work soon so keep an eye out for that :)

The Alpha will stretch across multiple weekends from Friday to Sunday. You'll have three full days of play over the weekend and a hard focussed time for you to report bugs. Instead of a few hours a night midweek. Then that will give us 4 days (mon, tues, wed, thurs) to implement changes and push a build for the next weekend. I am sure it will go fast don't worry!

There should be LAN available during the weekends but I think everything will be closed mid week!

Would it be possible to host  a server during the alpha stages? this way people would play on a home made server during the week while you guys fix the new build and once it will hit Friday the client will update and is incompatible with the server and needs an update. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, natsu said:

Would it be possible to host  a server during the alpha stages?

They answer this yet : Not during Closed Alpha stage. (search : server files)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What Soldat Said ^ Probably can't Host a LAN during Alpha sorry!

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, [CM] BigTuna said:

What Soldat Said ^ Probably can't Host a LAN during Alpha sorry!

No Problem , Cant wait for the alpha ^_^

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You cant acces the offline mode after the weekends? that sucks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, dAYZ said:

You cant acces the offline mode after the weekends? that sucks.

You will be able to play offline after the weekends ... but alone. -_-

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thats enough to learn the map(s) while hunting for bugs in it ;) 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, [CM] BigTuna said:

Okay, so you paid $70 for the Full Game + Early Access + Beta + Alpha. We aren't a huge team. We don't have hundreds of programmers and employees to catalog bugs and report them. We can't push builds and remodel things within the hour. We need a little more time to work on these things, just a little though ;)

We will have a post explaining how the Alpha is going to work soon so keep an eye out for that :)

The Alpha will stretch across multiple weekends from Friday to Sunday. You'll have three full days of play over the weekend and a hard focussed time for you to report bugs. Instead of a few hours a night midweek. Then that will give us 4 days (mon, tues, wed, thurs) to implement changes and push a build for the next weekend. I am sure it will go fast don't worry!

There should be LAN available during the weekends but I think everything will be closed mid week!

Any reason why you can't work on updates while people are playing?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Soldat Ryan said:

You will be able to play offline after the weekends ... but alone. -_-

Oh ok nice, so we can get used to the mechanics of the game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, WeAsOne said:

Thats enough to learn the map(s) while hunting for bugs in it ;) 

That's cool, hope they add in some random stationary targets we can practice on to get used to the guns :) (Just for testing that is)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RAFF said:

Any reason why you can't work on updates while people are playing?

It's so that it is more concentrated. They will get 3 days of constant feedback and then can spend 4 days working on it with no more bugs reported and so in theory, everything reported in a week such as bugged animations, sounds ect will be fixed and then by Friday they are ready again to receive more bugs and on Monday can continue the bug fixing cycle. Same thing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds worked in the Alpha, it was only accessible during the weekends. Keep in mind the alpha and to some extent the beta as well are just about bug fixing, balancing ect, not the players actually playing it out of just enjoyment but also out of a willingness to help the developers make the game better even if is going to be buggy.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Masser said:

It's so that it is more concentrated. They will get 3 days of constant feedback and then can spend 4 days working on it with no more bugs reported and so in theory, everything reported in a week such as bugged animations, sounds ect will be fixed and then by Friday they are ready again to receive more bugs and on Monday can continue the bug fixing cycle. Same thing Player Unknowns Battlegrounds worked in the Alpha, it was only accessible during the weekends. Keep in mind the alpha and to some extent the beta as well are just about bug fixing, balancing ect, not the players actually playing it out of just enjoyment but also out of a willingness to help the developers make the game better even if is going to be buggy.

They allow us to play offline, but not online during the week.. therefore, your argument is mostly not valid..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@[CM] BigTuna don't know if it's been mentioned before but how will the bug-reporting system work? Are you guys making a form we need to fill in or do we just report here in a own closed section?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now