jonas01

SKINS IN THE GAME

On 2017-4-26 at 2:12 PM, xXclusiivE said:

You're missing the point. It was to demonstrate what "flashy skins" would look like in a WWII setting..

Dude, the pictures you posted are just completely not comparable to what will actually happen.

It is very clearly a mod, almost like actual textures are missing. Skins in b44 will be A LOT more polished than what you are showing here.

and to be fair, that skins "don't fit in a wwII environment" argument just doesnt add up:
--> its a game not the actual war
--> it is good dev money
--> skins will be A LOT better looking than what you are showing here
--> not all skins will be "flashy" skins. You will have all type of skins...
--> we are in 2017, not in 1940-1945 or in 2000-2010

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 3

On 2017-4-26 at 3:52 PM, Jakovec12 said:

LEAKED

Pink Kar98k

Hopefully it will be in game, it looks fantastic :D

pink_kar98k LEAKED.jpg

Take my money pls

On 2017-4-26 at 4:11 PM, seekax said:

I wasn't aware that the army plans to paint their weapons pink in the near future.

Regarding the option, other people being able to see the skins is a big part of advertisement and people's desire to own skins since they want to show them off. Having an option like r_details 0 would be the devs shooting themselves in the foot.

Idd, I have stated this as well several times.

I am not going to buy skins of there is a change nobody is able to see them anyway. The fun is in showing them, not only in seeing them yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

My 2 cents to this topic,
I don`t like those flashy, crazy skins, which obviously don't fit in such a setting. Even in CoD they distract me and I really think it is ridiculess to run around with a pink, red, blue or even gold skined weapon. Thats also something that kept me from enjoying the newest entries in the CoD series, it's way to coulorfull and immersion breaking. Even Battlefield 1 has some skins which are just way to unauthentic and I won't even start talking about Battlefield 3 and 4. I really don't like such skins and it puts me out of the game, propably because I'm a player who enjoys it to get immersed and sucked into a game.

Anyway I get that skins are a usefull way to get money in for further development after release and I am the last person to deny such an option!
So if this is the way Bulkhead wants to go, so be it! I hope the game and gameplay itself will make up for it and for now I'm pretty confident and got big trust into the developers!

Maybe I could even make a wish for a skin/s?!
Steampunk inspired skins, with pipes, copper, brass and all such things. I believe that would look awesome and if there are people with pink flushy guns running around, why not me with a weapon with pipes on it too!?!:D

Just to mention it, this isn't CS and in my mind not even close to CS! This game is a totally different game except the competetive attitude it's aiming up for.
And yeah, I know most comparison is going into the skin things, but I think CS has gone way to over the top with them and they don't look that good actually. So I don't believe that Battalion needs such a system like CS rather something with it's own style which is compareable and that will make it unique again!

greetz Tyranno

PS.: Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my first language.

PPS.: This is also my first post, so don't be too mad pls :/

33 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

My 2 cents to this topic,
I don`t like those flashy, crazy skins, which obviously don't fit in such a setting. Even in CoD they distract me and I really think it is ridiculess to run around with a pink, red, blue or even gold skined weapon. Thats also something that kept me from enjoying the newest entries in the CoD series, it's way to coulorfull and immersion breaking. Even Battlefield 1 has some skins which are just way to unauthentic and I won't even start talking about Battlefield 3 and 4. I really don't like such skins and it puts me out of the game, propably because I'm a player who enjoys it to get immersed and sucked into a game.

Anyway I get that skins are a usefull way to get money in for further development after release and I am the last person to deny such an option!
So if this is the way Bulkhead wants to go, so be it! I hope the game and gameplay itself will make up for it and for now I'm pretty confident and got big trust into the developers!

Maybe I could even make a wish for a skin/s?!
Steampunk inspired skins, with pipes, copper, brass and all such things. I believe that would look awesome and if there are people with pink flushy guns running around, why not me with a weapon with pipes on it too!?!:D

Just to mention it, this isn't CS and in my mind not even close to CS! This game is a totally different game except the competetive attitude it's aiming up for.
And yeah, I know most comparison is going into the skin things, but I think CS has gone way to over the top with them and they don't look that good actually. So I don't believe that Battalion needs such a system like CS rather something with it's own style which is compareable and that will make it unique again!

greetz Tyranno

PS.: Sorry for any mistakes, english isn't my first language.

PPS.: This is also my first post, so don't be too mad pls :/

It's 5v5 SnD, the game will be quite close to CS. Look up CoD4 promod/ CoD2 zPam matches.

Considering the CS skin economy is worth billions i think you may be in the minority disliking what they've done with it. And when it comes to things like that the majority is who you want to appeal to.

2 hours ago, ToonBE said:

Dude, the pictures you posted are just completely not comparable to what will actually happen.

It is very clearly a mod, almost like actual textures are missing. Skins in b44 will be A LOT more polished than what you are showing here.

and to be fair, that skins "don't fit in a wwII environment" argument just doesnt add up:
--> it is good dev money

Kind of funny how people always say "The skins in the game will be a lot better" as if just because one is a dev he is the best. I have seen so many modders come out with there own creations (skins, game modes, 3D modeling etc.) that could easily put some devs out of business. 

--> it is good dev money

My bad, didn't know... LOL 9_9

Refer to my first comment.

Never did I say all skins would be flashy

We are in 2017 yes but the games atmosphere is in 1944!

You are also missing the part where I said I don't care if skins are in the game or not. It won't change my attitude towards the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

35 minutes ago, seekax said:

It's 5v5 SnD, the game will be quite close to CS. Look up CoD4 promod/ CoD2 zPam matches.

Considering the CS skin economy is worth billions i think you may be in the minority disliking what they've done with it. And when it comes to things like that the majority is who you want to appeal to.

The gamemode is similar in a way, but also quite different. But CS and CoD are two very different games gameplaywise and mapwise. Sure the overall idea is similar but the execution ingame is different in my experience, and movement is only one example for this. And so far I know this will not be a CS inspired game!?

Yeah I am, but as I said, I'm fine with skins, when Bulkhead chooses to have them and the game itself keeps me staying!
I just don't want to have a copy of CS!
And I believe the majority isn't always the best to look at, then we should have a game like the modern CoDs or Battlefront!

I even suggested an own kind of skin! ;)
Just want it to look worthy and not that cheap like in CS.

Edited by Tyranno

I stoped writting in the forums and went to just reading most stuff but when i have to read that people say that skins distract them whilel playing i just cant hold myself.

How in the world do skins distract you ingame, in all my years playing Shooters i have never noticed a Gun-Skin on the enemy, how is that even possible??!!

2 minutes ago, Tyranno said:

The gamemode is similar in a way, but also quite different. But CS and CoD are two very different games gameplaywise and mapwise. Sure the overall idea is similar but the execution ingame is different in my experience, and movement is only one example for this. And so far I know this will not be a CS inspired game!?

Yeah I am, but as I said, I'm fine with skins, when Bulkhead chooses to have them and the game itself keeps me staying!
I just don't want to have a copy of CS!
And I believe the majority isn't always the best to look at, then we should have a game like the modern CoDs or Battlefront!

I even suggested an own kind of skin! ;)
Just want it to look worthy and not that cheap like in CS.

Yea there are some differences (else i'd be playing CS), but i think the real competition for this game will be CS, not the new CoD. CoD plays very differently in promod compared to the default game.

The majority is rarely the best to look at, but when you are implementing things which are pretty much exclusively there to attract the majority they may be the ones who the devs should listen to. 

48 minutes ago, seekax said:

Yea there are some differences (else i'd be playing CS), but i think the real competition for this game will be CS, not the new CoD. CoD plays very differently in promod compared to the default game.

The majority is rarely the best to look at, but when you are implementing things which are pretty much exclusively there to attract the majority they may be the ones who the devs should listen to. 

I played CS and besides that I hate it to not have ironsights I don't like it, the movement, the feeling while playing, CoD fits me more in that case. And I think there is a certain difference in gameplay, weapons and movementwise between those two games. You are right that promod plays different, but also not equal to CS. And yes CS will propably be the biggest competor to Battalion but I doubt that the core playerbase and the majority too will switch the game and so Battalion has to build its own playerbase! For that there are lots of players out there, those who love the oldschool shooters but they don't want a game like CS. If they will like a game with lots of coulorfull unimmersive weapons I'm not sure about, but they sure don't want a CS clone!

I get the point and agree, for now I don't have the perfect solution, but I don't think that it should be the casual majority to be attraccted with this game, rather a consistend playerbase of passionated gamers which keep the game alive for years. It has to have a good, compelling and challenging gameplay for that and not skins or something achieveable to keep players, otherwise the game dies if there isn't coming anything new to the game.

49 minutes ago, Naroshi said:

I stoped writting in the forums and went to just reading most stuff but when i have to read that people say that skins distract them whilel playing i just cant hold myself.

How in the world do skins distract you ingame, in all my years playing Shooters i have never noticed a Gun-Skin on the enemy, how is that even possible??!!

I just find it ridiculess to see someone walking around with a coulorful gun, especially in a historical setting.

Yes in heat of action you won't notice it most of the time, but in killcams and walking aside teammates you can see those guns and that puts me off.
And yeah propably I'm a special kind of player, I even get annoyed of players in Battlefield for example using a gun which the country you play as would never use in service.

Edited by Tyranno

14 hours ago, Naroshi said:

The situation coming to mind first is whenever you are picking up dropped weapons from the ground in CS:GO:

Splash! Suddenly, without a warning, all the colors of the world are exploding right on your HUD! Leaving you paralyzed by that thingy lying in your hands, staring right into your eyes. Yeah, it kind of looks like an AK, but a horde of kids must have vomited all over the thing. After eating three packs of crayons sticks, each. Poor kidos and poor me having to deal with this god awful mess now...

But seriously.

You got to accept that people are different and when it comes to personal taste, sense of beauty and style, well... There's no accounting for taste, right? I guess it's hardwired into our brains what we find appealing and what puts us off and what may not touch us at all. There are people who never experience the slightest glimpse of disturbance by most outstanding, or even completely out of place designs and arrangements. Yet, there are people whose brains seem to work the exact opposite way and even only minor changes to the base style of things happen to throw them off, giving them a hard time enjoying that thing.

In my case, this is not only limited to games and particularly skins. It's the same with music, movies, clothing, furniture and anything else really. I once put stickers on one of my guitars - the cheap one I rarely ever play anyway - because I thought it was rather cool looking. However, it took like no more than a few days until I couldn't stand it anymore and found myself peeling them off neatly, restoring the vanilla look of the guitar. Phew! Ever watched that Monk TV-series? Well, I'm not that weird, but you get the idea. ;)

Actually, of course, it is hard to truly understand how someone else is experiencing a situation, especially if it seems to be so much differently from oneself, but again, we all got to accept that people are different and we all should refrain from valuing one against the other. It's just diversity.

_________
Side note:

With that in mind and looking at the dispute between seekax and me further up the thread, I'd like to try and put a final resume to that particular discussion.

Of course, people with an e-sports background and years of experience will naturally read 'e-sports' where it was written 'competitive'. It's basically two different words for the same thing for them. Unfortunately, I couldn't get myself to realize that simple thing in that very evening. Maybe because I was kind of emotionally triggered by the overall tone, I don't know. However, after cooling down and having a second thought on it, sure it makes perfect sense.

On the contrary, when I read 'competitive' and 'skill based' in the Kickstarter campaign I understood they want to separate themselves from the mainstream titles, which are heavily focused on casual audience and those wanna-be FPS games, which come with all that roleplay/character building/perks/gimmicks and whatnot stuff, which only serves to distract from the actual gameplay. I guess my background at that time was being all fed up with BF4's chaotic and random gameplay and that seemingly there are only Pay-To-Play-Bullshit alternatives on the market.

By the end of the day, I'm happy where development is heading. My favorite FPS of all times is still Assault Cube and now seeing how Battalion 1944 is probably going to be a lot closer to that game than I would have expected a year ago makes me fairly excited.

• Upvote 1

If you can really personalize the guns, I would like to kill people with the guns with their own names/tags on it :P

Edited by WeAsOne
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 4/24/2017 at 7:57 PM, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

We intend to support the modding community 100% and have already started by making a simple easy to grab editor. No other Unreal game or any game in fact does what we're doing with modding. 

This way, you guys get to play a game that feels like an oldschool FPS but without any of the parts you don't want, and if there are some adventurous mappers out there, some bigger maps too!

Joe

Okay, I started reading this thread with a bit of a heavy heart thinking "Damn, is this going to be all COD florescent guns now?" which was not what I was really hoping for.

But with the the above simple reply, you've allayed my fears.

I never understood why some developers seem determined to take away options from players to play the game the way they want, so its nice to see that you guys are getting it by trying to make it as easy as possible for us to make the game our own.

...Now all I need is a recreation of the V2 map from MOH:AA and my old school WW2 FPS appetite will be satisfied :)

Brammer mentioned in his interview with Dustin Mouret that they had face paints in the game, so that'll be pretty cool. Anyone know if the devs are still planning to have uniform customization in the game? Different uniform skins or something? Brammer, if you see this can you let us know?

Il buy probly every skin and add on feature they offer to support them as they are bringing back my childhood for me and this games going to be amazing and can't wait to help bug fix alpha and beyond ! Bulkhead ftw

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

So skins will be in the game and that's fine, but im wondering if we will be able to trade them via Steam market?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's probably way too complex, but one of the original ideas that really appealed to me was the visual definition of experience proposed by the developers e.g. veteran player uniforms will look dirty and battle scared so you instantly can see who is a rookie vs. a seasoned vet. With this in mind, rather than skins in the style of other games (the fear of the the pink Kar), perhaps personal kit items like head ware, boots, canteens, webbing, field tools, and other stuff a combat veteran may collect on their travels from their own side and the enemy's may be a nice way to add collectables and rare items without spoiling the feel of a WW2 game.

• Upvote 3

On 1.5.2017 at 6:17 PM, skitelo said:

So skins will be in the game and that's fine, but im wondering if we will be able to trade them via Steam market?

They haven't decided yet, have a look here: 

As one of the guys in here posted a few screenshots from a modded WW2 server, did that weapon look good? Just wanted to puke... Yes i also care about gampelay ofc, that is the most important part obviously, but i just really don't think flashy skins suits a game called Battalion 1944 which takes place during WW2. As a hobby historican and a militaria collector i don't find this suitable in a game called Battalion1944. 

On 28.4.2017 at 4:58 PM, ToonBE said:

--> it is good dev money

According to the devs, the game is called Battalion 1944 or am i VERY wrong here? 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

As one of the guys in here posted a few screenshots from a modded WW2 server, did that weapon look good? Just wanted to puke... Yes i also care about gampelay ofc, that is the most important part obviously, but i just really don't think flashy skins suits a game called Battalion 1944 which takes place during WW2. As a hobby historican and a militaria collector i don't find this suitable in a game called Battalion1944. 

According to the devs, the game is called Battalion 1944 or am i VERY wrong here? 

It is. The game also needs to be sustainable in order to succeed competitively so...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, jonas01 said:

Mods made by amateurs aren't representative of whatever will be in this game. As a hobby historian you might want to play a game where the devs didn't explicitly state that it is not a WW2 game and that WW2 is only a palette. Just move on already.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

20 minutes ago, seekax said:

Mods made by amateurs aren't representative of whatever will be in this game. As a hobby historian you might want to play a game where the devs didn't explicitly state that it is not a WW2 game and that WW2 is only a palette. Just move on already.

Yeah well they might wanna change the filters for their tags because you know I don't want to see any false advertising going on here.. either that or people are just labeling the game all wrong you know, silly people 9_9

dcsdsdsd.jpg.3f646926ae23665363d804173adfc5ed.jpg

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, xXclusiivE said:

Yeah well they might wanna change the filters for their tags because you know I don't want to see any false advertising going on here.. either that or people are just labeling the game all wrong you know, silly people 9_9

dcsdsdsd.jpg.3f646926ae23665363d804173adfc5ed.jpg

Nothing wrong with that, the palette of the game is WW2 after all. If the tag was 'World War 2 simulator' i'd agree.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, WeAsOne said:

Lol but it is ww2.. just like cod1 was

Hence my point, they can say it is not a WWII shooter to try and save themselves all they want, but it is in fact a WWII shooter.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1