jonas01

SKINS IN THE GAME

158 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, pukiz said:

Why in the world would they not follow existing research!? How you use data is down your specific needs

Why learn from somebody else's mistakes, when you can make your own??

pro tip: sarcasm.

15 minutes ago, Razor said:

Did i say that just because it's mainstream it's bad? No, my reference goes towards adding flashy skins just because the big companies research tells it will sell more games! If Bulkhead stated in the kickstarter from the start that they will do as most other developers and add micro-transactions, flashy pink weapons and such we wouldn't buy a 10 pack backer deal. Would have waited and watched when the game was released how things turned out. And I bet a good deal of other old school gamers would do the same...

Did you also think during development, there would be nothing new? no additions, nothing?

Honestly, some people around here like to just leave out key words and understand whatever they want. 

You're more than welcome to sell your 10 pack, I`m sure there's a bunch of people that would buy them.

42 minutes ago, Razor said:

Did i say that just because it's mainstream it's bad? No, my reference goes towards adding flashy skins just because the big companies research tells it will sell more games! If Bulkhead stated in the kickstarter from the start that they will do as most other developers and add micro-transactions, flashy pink weapons and such we wouldn't buy a 10 pack backer deal. Would have waited and watched when the game was released how things turned out. And I bet a good deal of other old school gamers would do the same...

It really bothers me how attached people are to the idea that everyone will run around with pink skins, people who make the skins have brains and will probably understand what looks good given the context

1 hour ago, Razor said:

That is just black and white thinking, them adding skins doesn't mean they will add microtransactions. That flashy skins would be in the game was pretty much a given to anyone who paid attention to competitive games over the past few years, it's the only businessmodel that works these days. Developing games costs money, maintaining them even more. I for one am happy there is a way to make that work without negatively affecting the gameplay.

Weirdly everyone i know from promod etc. has been quite supportive of skins, the only people who really aren't happy with this are the milsim/immersion people who shouldn't be here anyways.

2 hours ago, Razor said:

You could not be more correct. I only bought the game because of the first reveal trailer game play. I though that's how the game play would have been in a competitive scene. Now its nothing like that AT ALL but I bought it so I might as well ride it out and see how it goes.

18 hours ago, seekax said:

10000 backers paid for an authentic oldschool FPS, or at least the majority of them should have and that's what they are getting. If you expected an immersive WW2 shooter you selectively blocked out large chunks of the pitch.

I just gave you a reason why flashy skins should be in the game and it's a pretty darn good one.

Unless you know of a better way to keep the game financially sustainable this is what it's going to be. You can kick and scream and moan about it, but me and everyone else who wants to play this game competitively would much rather have a game with a few weird skins and a future than an 'immersive' game which costs 3x more than csgo, relies on community funded tournaments and will eventually die after <2 years. If this is a dealbreaker for you, hit up this guy and sell him your account, he'd probably appreciate the game a lot more than you. There are plenty of immersive WW2 shooters out there, take your pick of the litter. 

I'm sorry, but was it flashy skins in the oldschool FPS?

On 18.4.2017 at 7:56 PM, WeAsOne said:

Well then you have heard why skins will be in the game.. so I don't need to tell you..

Han't got a single problem with skins in the game. I just think that flashy skins on WW2 weapons is not right in ANY WAY. I know that they weren't going to make a realistic ww2 fps. but they have said ''AUTHENTIC''. And flashy stupid pink shit skins is NOT authentic in a game called BATTALION1944. We're actually in 1944 according to the title. Not 2044. 

6 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

Han't got a single problem with skins in the game. I just think that flashy skins on WW2 weapons is not right in ANY WAY. I know that they weren't going to make a realistic ww2 fps. but they have said ''AUTHENTIC''. And flashy stupid pink shit skins is NOT authentic in a game called BATTALION1944. We're actually in 1944 according to the title. Not 2044. 

Have they stated "flashy stupid pink shit skins" will be in the game? You seem so obsessed by those words, just calm down. We haven't even seen any skins yet...

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

Some oldschool fps also only support 4:3 resolutions, have garbage input, run on dx7 and all of them are dead. Quake 3 is unplayable without a third party client.

Your moaning isn't going to change anything about flashy skins being in this game and since you are incapable of understanding why that is i propose you make your choice now, suck it up or move on to a different game.

Edited by seekax

Posted (edited)

Quotes from the kickstarter campaign:

Contribute to your Battalion's season objective to earn cosmetic rewards for your character, weapons and accessories within our realistic art style.

We have no plans for micro transactions to be added to the game on launch (or after for that matter). Battalion 1944 will be a pay once full access title, with hours of multi player content!

I do understand that this very horse is dead and buried. I'm not even trying to argue crazy shit, or shitty skins or even crazy skins will be in the game. They are going to be in the game. Yeah, I got it.

However, I like to point out that nobody had reasons to expect micro transactions and crazy skins coming to the game, because Bulkhead have explicitly stated that those won't be in the game. See quotes above. Nobody is making this up. Nobody is misinterpreting anything here. It's been there. Black on white. Period. If they had said nothing at all about either of those subjects, then OK, we could have been expecting anything, even pay to play. 

So, please stop throwing shit at people who are not exactly satisfied by this development. They have all reasons to be irritated. You may try explaining to them how there is no alternative if you want to, or just leave it. At any rate, telling them to go away because they are not 'competitive enough' is just that toxic behavior which is killing communities. I do believe that is possible to cater to casual and competitive at the same time, especially because there will be dedicated areas for either playing style anyway. Why is it so hard to accept that? Why has it always to be competitive versus casual? I'm dead tired of that debate already and that awkward cocky attitude is as uninviting as can be. Give it a break.

Personally, I also had the impression that Bulkhead consciously mentioned both of these aspects and meant to explicitly separate themselves from the major's way of doing things. And yes, this has been one of the key selling factors for me. I believed they had a plan how to not go down the cheap road and provide us with something different. Either they had no plan or, more likely, they are now afraid that the initial plan is not going to create enough revenue for the e-sports ambitions, which have gone up in the prior list somewhere during the curse of the last year. The term 'e-sport' hasn't been mentioned once in the kickstarter campaign, by the way. Well, fine this is reality, so you got to adapt all right.

Though, keep in mind that they could have put the e-sports thingy on the back burner in favor of other target groups as well. I'd even say it had looked a lot like that about a year ago, as far as reading between the line goes. I'm pretty sure statistics will tell that there are more casual playing customers than competitive, semi-profession or even professional players and standing your ground in the e-sports circus is a great risk of its own, isn't it?

Edited by RLpacifist

8 minutes ago, RLpacifist said:

Quotes from the kickstarter campaign:

I do understand that this very horse is dead and buried. I'm not even trying to argue crazy shit, or shitty skins or even crazy skins will be in the game. They are going to be in the game. Yeah, I got it.

However, I like to point out that nobody had reasons to expect micro transactions and crazy skins coming to the game, because Bulkhead have explicitly stated that those won't be in the game. See quotes above. Nobody is making this up. Nobody is misinterpreting anything here. It's been there. Black on white. Period. If they had said nothing at all about either of those subjects, then OK, we could have been expecting anything, even pay to play. 

So, please stop throwing shit at people who are not exactly satisfied by this development. They have all reasons to be irritated. You may try explaining to them how there is no alternative if you want to, or just leave it. At any rate, telling them to go away because they are not 'competitive enough' is just that toxic behavior which is killing communities. I do believe that is possible to cater to casual and competitive at the same time, especially because there will be dedicated areas for either playing style anyway. Why is it so hard to accept that? Why has it always to be competitive versus casual? I'm dead tired of that debate already and that awkward cocky attitude is as uninviting as can be. Give it a break.

Personally, I also had the impression that Bulkhead consciously mentioned both of these aspects and meant to explicitly separate themselves from the major's way of doing things. And yes, this has been one for the key selling factors for me. I believed they had a plan how to not go down the cheap road and provide us with something different. Either they had no plan or, more likely, they are now afraid that the initial plan is not going to create enough revenue for the e-sports ambitions, which have gone up in the prior list somewhere during the curse of the last year. The term 'e-sport' hasn't been mentioned once in the kickstarter campaign, by the way. Well, fine this is reality, so you got to adapt all right.

Though, keep in mind that they could have put the e-sports thingy on the back burner in favor of other target groups as well. I'd even say it had looked a lot like that about a year ago, as far as reading between the line goes. I'm pretty sure statistics will tell that there are more casual playing customers than competitive, semi-profession or even professional players and standing your ground in the e-sports circus is a great risk of its own, isn't it?

Players will be rewarded with cosmetic unlocks for weapons and character customisation, some of which are extremely rare and valuable within the community and some that are only available to win during specific seasons.

Skins were always planned and microtransactions do no harm if they don't affect the gameplay. The term esports may not have been mentioned, however there are 21 variations of the word compete.

Competition is at the heart of Battalion

Oh come on! They accidently used the terms 'no micro transactions', 'authentic' and 'realistic art style' (that implicitly excludes crazy skins), but happend to forget mentioning 'e-sports' as such, despite it being the prime goal of Battalion 1944 from the start?

Posted (edited)

13 minutes ago, RLpacifist said:

Oh come on! They accidently used the terms 'no micro transactions', 'authentic' and 'realistic art style' (that implicitly excludes crazy skins), but happend to forget mentioning 'e-sports' as such, despite it being the prime goal of Battalion 1944 from the start?

Do you just search kickstarter campaigns for keywords or do you actually read what they write? They don't have to mention the term esports when half of the campaign lays out the competitive focus of the game. They first announced the game on cybergamer for god's sake. What qualifies as an authentic and realistic artstyle is down to the individual, if you don't like fancy skins, don't apply them to your guns, considering the rest of the artstyle is still pretty realistic i think calling it authentic is perfectly fine. I'm fairly sure some folks modified their guns in ww2 in interesting ways as well.

Edited by seekax

Posted (edited)

Seriously, one does not have to mention their supposed-to-be prime goal in a kickstarter campaign? Not at least once? Is this an official recommendation from Kickstarter? Does that make any sense to you, really? OK, I need a drink now and obviously need a break from this place. Anyway, I hope at least you'll refrain from that douchebag tone in the future, then all my writing wasn't completely in vain. Cheers.

Edited by RLpacifist

Posted (edited)

1. It will be a pay once full access title! (micro transactions are for cosmetic unlocks only, and with that money new FREE DLC will be paid!)
  2. Skins where in the game from the start (but not flashy and now they are, you can like it or not but you don't have to use them!)
  3. Yes, Competition is at the heart of Battalion! It should be.. 

Hope you all still would love to play and shoot me down ;)

I'm looking forward to it :D

Edited by WeAsOne

1 minute ago, RLpacifist said:

Seriously, one does not have to mention their supposed-to-be prime goal in a kickstarter campaign? Not at least once? Is this an official recommendation from Kickstarter? Does that make any sense to you, really? OK, I need a drink now and obviously need a break from this place. Anyway, I hope at least you'll refrain from that douchebag tone in the future, then all my writing wasn't completely in vain. Cheers.

"all packaged into a competitive multiplayer environment"
"Join a Battalion and compete season to season with BattleRank, our global competition system."
"BattleRank’s highly tuned stat tracking system enables Battalion 1944 to go beyond the standard mould of shooters gone by and enables players to compete globally for rewards, glory and honour."

"Battalion learns from the skill based gameplay of classic competitive shooters and merges it with the stunning visuals that our team can produce, utilizing next-gen techniques such as motion capture, physically based rendering and photogrammetry to make Battalion a truly next gen competitive shooter."

"BattleRank competitions."

"Compete in regular challenges ranging from seasonal to quick fire hourly objectives to earn rewards and extra XP."

"Tight, focused, competitive maps. Battalion's maps will be designed around our team based infantry combat. The map locations are inspired by real world battlegrounds of the allied campaign and blended with competitive layouts of classic shooters that focus on balance and competition."

"Make your platoon known for being the deadliest, most effective, or the most active platoon, receiving unique rewards and raising the bar of competition."

"Battalion is designed to be a great LAN game to compete with or against friends locally with our classic and easy to use server browser."

"Competition is at the heart of Battalion, maps are designed with different game modes and server sizes in mind. Whether you like to run and gun in a Deathmatch arena with 16 players, or rifle it out in a robust competitive layout with smaller and more focused team sizes, all playstyles can and will be catered for."

"BattleRank is our global competition system."

"Below is an explanation of how BattleRank works and how it's unique to Battalion, encouraging competitiveness and teamwork."

"Competition and Scores. When you play the game, your score goes towards your Battalion. Your Battalion is constantly competing against every other Battalion in the game."

"Whilst all the Platoons in one Battalion are part of the same team, they are also competing within that Battalion"

"it's an extra option for players that wish to compete together as a team against other teams."

I agree, it was almost impossible to tell that this game had a competitive focus, the term esports didn't show up and synonyms don't count.

Posted (edited)

Haha, OK only that last one because of your efforts.

Read up that nicely compiled statements and figure out how often there it is spoken of third party e-sport events or even ESL and the likes. Yep, not once. It's always their ranking system and their global competition system. Get the idea? That system is all right and always has been for me, but I doubt it requires that much extra-cash - hopefully earned from crazy skins - for being maintained. Somehow I sense they are heading for something bigger now, than they had in mind back then. That's two quite different stories in my book.

Edited by RLpacifist

Posted (edited)

12 minutes ago, RLpacifist said:

Haha, OK only that last one because of your efforts.

Read up that nicely compiled statements and figure out how often there it is spoken of third party e-sport events or even ESL and the likes. Yep, not once. It's always their ranking system and their global competition system. Get the idea? That system is all right and always has been for me, but I doubt it requires that much extra-cash - hopefully earned from crazy skins - for being maintained. Somehow I sense they are heading for something bigger now, than they had in mind back then. That's two quite different stories in my book.

So we have established that they have pointed out more than enough that the game had competition strongly in mind and the game was first announced on cybergamer, a site for competitive CoD2/CoD4 and the devs cited promod as a strong influence already back in the kickstarter days but none of that matters because they didn't name drop partners they didn't have yet. Alright then. You also don't need third party competition sites to host tournaments or ladders, afaik all the popular mobas make do without them. And running tournaments costs quite a bit of money, so does continued development.

Edited by seekax

Posted (edited)

11 minutes ago, RLpacifist said:

Read up that nicely compiled statements and figure out how often there it is spoken of third party e-sport events or even ESL and the likes.

But it's obvious, isn't it?  Yes, BattleRank is their ranking system, but due to dedi servers being in the game and competitive edge of Batalion it's obvious that some 3rd party leagues /sites / e-sport organizations will be insterested in creating their own ladders, events etc. Should Bulkhead forbid them because there's already BattleRank implemented? Hell no. What's more i'm pretty sure they'll heavily support such projects.

Edited by skitelo

We haven't said yet, but this discussion is frustrating so I'll drop a hint. 

We're experimenting with some flashy skins that are tied to WW2. I'll say no more. But its cool as shit if you're into WW2 stuff and if you're into flashy skins. 

Again; experimenting. 

Fairly certain they announced soon after that they were in talks with ESL so it's not exactly news

I freaked out a bit about this topic, even more so because the link of the interview was not there.

Now I think I found a interview that discusses this topic and it has taken away my worries, the fast paced movement and focus on competitive gameplay made games like MOH and cod interesting to me even though I never played high ranked games, the closest I ever done was friendly matches against other community's and clans.

But just running around shooting people and having fun is something that really disappeared and turned into collecting shitty perks and other crap.

I never really understood the crazy skins and stuff and how people go crazy about , but maybe that is just because I'm getting old :)

Lets say pink guns would be an option its something i would not really be interested to see, but luckily it sounds like there will be a option to turn off crazy skins on private servers. and they want to support modding, so chances are high that there will be modders that focus on more slow down tactical gameplay closer to reality and bring back things like rifles only and other things. making it that there will be something for everyone to like.

Anyway looking forward to see what the games turns into.

21 hours ago, seekax said:

Should they also reject modern rendering techniques because they were developed by mainstream developers? Just because something is mainstream doesn't mean it's necessarily bad.

We did actually reject modern rendering techniques to be fair... 
But that was because there was 1ms of frame lag, most people don't notice but new COD's, Battlefield's, Assassin's Creed etc etc, they all have it.. Just the people playing don't notice, those of you looking for an old school game realise it's uncomfortable and doesn't feel great so you don't play it.. This is 1 of many reasons why. 

@Razor I understand your frustration, but we fully anticipate your clan to play on the modded community servers, not the official servers. We intend to support the modding community 100% and have already started by making a simple easy to grab editor. No other Unreal game or any game in fact does what we're doing with modding. 

This way, you guys get to play a game that feels like an oldschool FPS but without any of the parts you don't want, and if there are some adventurous mappers out there, some bigger maps too!

Joe

2 minutes ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

We did actually reject modern rendering techniques to be fair... 
But that was because there was 1ms of frame lag, most people don't notice but new COD's, Battlefield's, Assassin's Creed etc etc, they all have it.. Just the people playing don't notice, those of you looking for an old school game realise it's uncomfortable and doesn't feel great so you don't play it.. This is 1 of many reasons why. 

Take what's good and leave that what isn't. I'm fairly sure you are using some stuff CoD2 didn't have.

Is subframe input/framerate independent input something you are looking into?

Would recommend some love for the USMC for extra content skin.  Yut!

I dont have a problem with Skins for Weapons etc. but they should only be Skins not new Models than I am fine with it. Maybe not pink Weapons but look at Battlefield 1, they have Skins too.
The people that complain so hard about authentic should just buy Days of War, Sniper Elite 4 or something else. The Skins will secure money for future Developement and will tie Players to the Game. Systems like this and competetive Seasons will help to make Battalion 1944 a successful Online-Shooter.