jonas01

SKINS IN THE GAME

I don't see anything bad with weapon skins, at least devs will get some money from it for game to be alive. CS-GO also have pink skins and people are having and using it which there is nothing bad about it. Don't know why will you even care to know what type of skins do your team or enemy team have when you want to focus on your gameplay and improve. "pink kar98 will give a big disadvantage" .......yeah right then ESL should tell to CS-GO pros to not use skins cuz it gives big disadvantage... Even LoL or Dota have skins and particle effects and neither of that makes some kind of disadvantage....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

I dont have a big problem with skins, if its community voted.
They way csgo skyrocketed after the introduction of skins was insane.
It went from 2K viewers max on a competitive game on twitch to 10/15K in the first weeks after the introduction of skins, and now it is one of the biggest esports atm.
If we can achieve the same thing with battalion 1944 that would be insane, aslong as they dont go the TF2 way with adding hats etc.
Just keep it simple

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 17/04/2017 at 0:18 AM, jcStani said:

Skins will give the devs more money in which gives us more content and also a lower game price which will bring more players. So I dont see why you are complaining.

On 17/04/2017 at 1:16 AM, skitelo said:

Skins = more people playing Battalion = game is growing = everyone is happy. Just look at CS GO.

On 17/04/2017 at 0:59 PM, RAFF said:

1.oldschool core gameplay, not aesthetics. 

2. most people want shiny skins

3. why don't you try and monetise used gum? because not a lot of people are going to bite.

4. most oldschool shooters are now dead, main reasons being: a.no support for the game, people needing third party websites to scrim

b. no skins tying people to the game

c. no support for the game, as in fixed bugs, improvements, etc.

If it helps them make the game great, and they even give some servers the option to turn it off, I really don't see why people are still beating on this dead horse.

It's awesome when I can just keep working on the game because our community are so switched on. 

I ratify this information.

Don't be too upset about people making new threads about things, people want to know answers, and when people re-start threads, we always see new discussions and answers. As a dev team, we've never been upset about people opening new threads about old subjects.

Joe

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 2

On 17.4.2017 at 3:05 PM, SupreMe said:

So what you you're saying is, is that we as a gaming community really sunk that low that we only care about stupid looking skins and not about gameplay anymore? I had high hopes for this game, but i'm getting less and less interested when i hear they'll implement childish things like weaponskins that will look awfull. I thought they were aiming for a now mature audience who grew up with games like moh/coduo/cod2 etc. 

Agree a bit here. Your going to ruin the game if you have like pink and shiny skins on WW2 weapons, totally steals a lot of the experience and the fun...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

24 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

Agree a bit here. Your going to ruin the game if you have like pink and shiny skins on WW2 weapons, totally steals a lot of the experience and the fun...

Try this game

https://www.battlefield.com/en-gb

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

36 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

Yeah, but think of all that dosh they can make off egotistical CSGO players.

• Downvote 2

First off, I have watched the entire interview and that's actually the reason I happened questioning some of the replies given further up the thread. I guess I should have been more specific, though.

That switch-off option I'm talking about would have to be client side, of course. I'm actually here for playing ranked matchmaking and I guess so are most of the other folks who aren't quite amused by the perspective of having to deal with crazy skins. I mean, otherwise, I could just continue playing my favourite old-school shooter on unranked community servers. That back-end is actually what I'm looking for. That said, telling me that I can have my own server obviously isn't a satisfying solution in this regard.

For the record, I personally have kind of made my peace with the idea that there will be crazy skins. Do I like them? Hell no! Will it be a game breaker? Not really. Am I disappointed? Yes, unfortunately.

So, in hopes of finally receiving a definite statement to what I actually was trying to get across here's my last try on this subject. @[CM] BigTuna, please be so kind and provide us with an answer to this question:

Will there be a client side option to turn off non-vanilla-skins completely, meaning everywhere, even in competitive matchmaking, or not?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by RLpacifist

41 minutes ago, RLpacifist said:

First off, I have watched the entire interview and that's actually the reason I happened questioning some of the replies given further up the thread. I guess I should have been more specific, though.

That switch-off option I'm talking about would have to be client side, of course. I'm actually here for playing ranked matchmaking and I guess so are most of the other folks who aren't quite amused by the perspective of having to deal with crazy skins. I mean, otherwise, I could just continue playing my favourite old-school shooter on unranked community servers. That back-end is actually what I'm looking for. That said, telling me that I can have my own server obviously isn't a satisfying solution in this regard.

For the record, I personally have kind of made my peace with the idea that there will be crazy skins. Do I like them? Hell no! Will it be a game breaker? Not really. Am I disappointed? Yes, unfortunately.

So, in hopes of finally receiving a definite statement to what I actually was trying to get across here's my last try on this subject. @[CM] BigTuna, please be so kind and provide us with an answer to this question:

Will there be a client side option to turn off non-vanilla-skins completely, meaning everywhere, even in competitive matchmaking, or not?

Thanks in advance!

Id like to add a couple more questions to this;

Will the skins have its own visibility setting that will be predetermined and cannot be changed? Will a bright color skin make a player more visible or will it be lighting on it be dark enough to not affect gameplay in the sense of visibility?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, pukiz said:

I own it. 

How many times haven't the devs used the word WW2 when talking about Battalion? We were told we were getting a AUTHENTIC WW2 shooter. Excuse me, is a PINK K98 authentic? Ruining the game. And i have actually been following the game since KS and i pledged almost 60 pounds. Still can't wait for it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

So you guys are more concentrated about graphics, skins and whatever else that makes game visual nice? I really don't care so much of these things. I want Battalion 1944 to succeed in E-Sport, to compete with CS-GO and also have a great feeling in this game.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 3

9 hours ago, Jakovec12 said:

I don't see anything bad with weapon skins, at least devs will get some money from it for game to be alive. CS-GO also have pink skins and people are having and using it which there is nothing bad about it. Don't know why will you even care to know what type of skins do your team or enemy team have when you want to focus on your gameplay and improve. "pink kar98 will give a big disadvantage" .......yeah right then ESL should tell to CS-GO pros to not use skins cuz it gives big disadvantage... Even LoL or Dota have skins and particle effects and neither of that makes some kind of disadvantage....

I don't wanna start a fight, but as someone who played LoL since beta, there were several skins that gave a certain advantage/disadvantage to the point that the devs changed them later.

Also don't compare CSGO with an oldschool ww2 shooter like CoD1/CoD2, which have completely different color-style and aspects of visuals. In CoD1 Brecourt for example, a pink Kar98 would have given you a sick disadvantage when walking near an area with bushes. Also people in those games weren't just holding angles like in CS, they were running around, watching for every small sign of an enemy somewhere on the map.  You also forget that in CSGO you can't lay down, playermodels are perfectly visible everywhere and almost every aim duel (at high level) gets decided in a  milisecond. This wasn't necessary the case in ww2 shooters.  Even if the basic concept of CS is the same (5v5, S&D), some aspects of gameplay are very different.

Competitive players at higher level in CoD1 and even 2 tried many things on their configs/settings just to get the playermodels a bit brighter / darken out the enviroment. I know this from personal experience and it gave an advantage on the highest level of play. 

If Battalion is gonna be like CSGO, I don't see any problem with colored skins as they won't interfere with the gameplay. But if its trying to recreate that feelings and visuals from the old ww2 shooters, brightly colored skins WILL give advantage to the enemy.  Depends alot on the map-design..

Edited by FKA

3 hours ago, FKA said:

I don't wanna start a fight, but as someone who played LoL since beta, there were several skins that gave a certain advantage/disadvantage to the point that the devs changed them later.

Also don't compare CSGO with an oldschool ww2 shooter like CoD1/CoD2, which have completely different color-style and aspects of visuals. In CoD1 Brecourt for example, a pink Kar98 would have given you a sick disadvantage when walking near an area with bushes. Also people in those games weren't just holding angles like in CS, they were running around, watching for every small sign of an enemy somewhere on the map.  You also forget that in CSGO you can't lay down, playermodels are perfectly visible everywhere and almost every aim duel (at high level) gets decided in a  milisecond. This wasn't necessary the case in ww2 shooters.  Even if the basic concept of CS is the same (5v5, S&D), some aspects of gameplay are very different.

Competitive players at higher level in CoD1 and even 2 tried many things on their configs/settings just to get the playermodels a bit brighter / darken out the enviroment. I know this from personal experience and it gave an advantage on the highest level of play. 

If Battalion is gonna be like CSGO, I don't see any problem with colored skins as they won't interfere with the gameplay. But if its trying to recreate that feelings and visuals from the old ww2 shooters, brightly colored skins WILL give advantage to the enemy.  Depends alot on the map-design..

I`m sure they are going to tweak third person to not give an advantage/disadvantage to anyone..

I have absolutely nothing against skins, I think skins are in fact cool, but as i mentioned earlier - As a shooter which is placed in WW2 -the theme is WW2, and like those pink and bright skins will ruin a lot of the experience. Just think of a purple MP40??? Oh my good....And how many times haven't the devs said these words: WW2 shooter. AUTHENTIC WW2 experience. DOWN THE BARREL WW2 EXPERIENCE. I paid 60 pounds for the game duirng the KS, and this will - believe it or not - ruin a bit of the experience. I JUST CAN'T SEE ANY REASON FOR THESE AWFULLY LOOKING SKINS 

On 18.4.2017 at 7:56 PM, WeAsOne said:

Well then you have heard why skins will be in the game.. so I don't need to tell you..

I have never had a problem with skins. Never said that. I just can't understand why someone has to put these bright awfully pink looking skins in the game which is, ACCORDING TO THE DEVS an authentic WW2 experience, AND a WW2 shooter which we paid for during the KS. 

Extensive research from Activision, Ubisoft, EA, and Valve that we've correlated and read will show the following;

1. Most gamers find skins cool
2. Gamers don't care about 'realistic skins' different woods/metals etc
3. Gamers want their skins to be flashy and boisterous, its part of the showmanship of gaming, especially in FPS games.
4. The people who don't want skins, are actually a minority.
5. The reason people are scared of the word 'skins' is because they subliminally connect this to Black Ops 3, mainstream console gaming, and excessive in-game purchases- even though these people complain, they usually end up A. not playing the game and reviewing it badly or B. enjoying the skins and the bravado of having unique weapons.

So whatever your opinion; for the drama queens "YOU'LL RUIN THE GAME YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING"... Well.. we do. We're quite good at this.

There is the information, enjoy.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 3

I purely play competitively and I am fine with skins. It keeps the game going in terms of development, income for the developers etc. If you don't like skins, just don't use them? Not that hard lol. Possibly the devs could add a command like /r_detail 0 in COD4 which turns off camo on your POV only.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

On 4/21/2017 at 7:10 PM, jonas01 said:

I have absolutely nothing against skins, I think skins are in fact cool, but as i mentioned earlier - As a shooter which is placed in WW2 -the theme is WW2, and like those pink and bright skins will ruin a lot of the experience. Just think of a purple MP40??? Oh my good....And how many times haven't the devs said these words: WW2 shooter. AUTHENTIC WW2 experience. DOWN THE BARREL WW2 EXPERIENCE. I paid 60 pounds for the game duirng the KS, and this will - believe it or not - ruin a bit of the experience. I JUST CAN'T SEE ANY REASON FOR THESE AWFULLY LOOKING SKINS 

I have never had a problem with skins. Never said that. I just can't understand why someone has to put these bright awfully pink looking skins in the game which is, ACCORDING TO THE DEVS an authentic WW2 experience, AND a WW2 shooter which we paid for during the KS. 

The last time i saw the term WW2 in relation to this game it was the devs pointing out that this is NOT a WW2 game. It's a competitive game, immersion is irrelevant, nobody plays CSGO pretending to be a terrorist or counter terrorist.

“It’s not a World War Two game,” says Brammer. “It’s an old-school, classic first-person shooter. World War Two is just a palette.”

Flashy skins are the ones which gain value and a healthy skin economy is key to this game not being dead in the water in two years. Nobody will pay more than 20 cents for a skin with an ugly but realistic camo on it. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, seekax said:

The last time i saw the term WW2 in relation to this game it was the devs pointing out that this is NOT a WW2 game. It's a competitive game, immersion is irrelevant, nobody plays CSGO pretending to be a terrorist or counter terrorist.

Flashy skins are the ones which gain value and a healthy skin economy is key to this game not being dead in the water in two years. Nobody will pay more than 20 cents for a skin with an ugly but realistic camo on it. 

So what? 10 000 backers paid for a WW2 SHOOTER as they stated A LOT. 

Again, i have to repeat myself, i don't have any problems at all with skins. I just think that flashy skins and that stuff... I just can't see ONE reason for why it shall be in the game. 

7 hours ago, FrosteR said:

I purely play competitively and I am fine with skins. It keeps the game going in terms of development, income for the developers etc. If you don't like skins, just don't use them? Not that hard lol. Possibly the devs could add a command like /r_detail 0 in COD4 which turns off camo on your POV only.

As i said, again, i'm totally fine with skins, it's just those flashy skins ... Why will you use that in a shooter which is placed in WW2, and the title of the game is BATTALION 1944? 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

I don't see a problem with skins tbh... I mean if a server can turn them off I don't see the problem.

Edited by mrvpixel

26 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

So what? 10 000 backers paid for a WW2 SHOOTER as they stated A LOT. 

Again, i have to repeat myself, i don't have any problems at all with skins. I just think that flashy skins and that stuff... I just can't see ONE reason for why it shall be in the game. 

10000 backers paid for an authentic oldschool FPS, or at least the majority of them should have and that's what they are getting. If you expected an immersive WW2 shooter you selectively blocked out large chunks of the pitch.

I just gave you a reason why flashy skins should be in the game and it's a pretty darn good one.

Unless you know of a better way to keep the game financially sustainable this is what it's going to be. You can kick and scream and moan about it, but me and everyone else who wants to play this game competitively would much rather have a game with a few weird skins and a future than an 'immersive' game which costs 3x more than csgo, relies on community funded tournaments and will eventually die after <2 years. If this is a dealbreaker for you, hit up this guy and sell him your account, he'd probably appreciate the game a lot more than you. There are plenty of immersive WW2 shooters out there, take your pick of the litter. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

Extensive research from Activision, Ubisoft, EA, and Valve that we've correlated and read will show the following;

1. Most gamers find skins cool
2. Gamers don't care about 'realistic skins' different woods/metals etc
3. Gamers want their skins to be flashy and boisterous, its part of the showmanship of gaming, especially in FPS games.
4. The people who don't want skins, are actually a minority.
5. The reason people are scared of the word 'skins' is because they subliminally connect this to Black Ops 3, mainstream console gaming, and excessive in-game purchases- even though these people complain, they usually end up A. not playing the game and reviewing it badly or B. enjoying the skins and the bravado of having unique weapons.

So whatever your opinion; for the drama queens "YOU'LL RUIN THE GAME YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING"... Well.. we do. We're quite good at this.

There is the information, enjoy.

So you follow the big mainstream devs and their research, nice! Exactly what most backers hoped you wouldn't! I kinda disappointed right now!!.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, Razor said:

So you follow the big mainstream devs and their research, nice! Exactly what most backers hoped you wouldn't! I kinda disappointed right now!!.....

Why in the world would they not follow existing research!? How you use data is down your specific needs

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Razor said:

Should they also reject modern rendering techniques because they were developed by mainstream developers? Just because something is mainstream doesn't mean it's necessarily bad.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

you don't like skins ? Just play without them. Through example csgo this show us it's helpful improve game/ esport scene etc. It's simple 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, pukiz said:

Why in the world would they not follow existing research!? How you use data is down your specific needs

11 hours ago, seekax said:

Should they also reject modern rendering techniques because they were developed by mainstream developers? Just because something is mainstream doesn't mean it's necessarily bad.

Did i say that just because it's mainstream it's bad? No, my reference goes towards adding flashy skins just because the big companies research tells it will sell more games! If Bulkhead stated in the kickstarter from the start that they will do as most other developers and add micro-transactions, flashy pink weapons and such we wouldn't buy a 10 pack backer deal. Would have waited and watched when the game was released how things turned out. And I bet a good deal of other old school gamers would do the same...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2