jonas01

SKINS IN THE GAME

112 posts in this topic

Based on a interview on YouTube with Joe Brammer, and a few tweets, is it true that in Battalion we will see like a PINK K98???? Please say i'm wrong.... 

-11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes Joe Brammer just said that for example a purple M1 Garand maybe will be in the full game release. Oh my lord, your going to ruin the game. 

Still, according to their website:

When you gain XP you will be rewarded with visual upgrades for your character, accessories and weapons within our realistic art style guidelines. This way players can shape their own identity and become a renowned and recognisable player within the community whilst still retaining an authentic World War 2 experience.

-8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The devs have explained their decision making, and there's already more than enough threads on this subject. Try to use the search function next time.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Skins will give the devs more money in which gives us more content and also a lower game price which will bring more players. So I dont see why you are complaining.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another 'OMG I EXPECTED D-DAY LANDING AND REALISM, EVIL DEVS MISLED ME, REFUND PLOX, PLZ NO STRAFE-JUMPING CUZ I HAVE NO SKILLS' guy? :D

Skins = more people playing Battalion = game is growing = everyone is happy. Just look at CS GO.
 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i hope its not true,

skins are nice looking, and maybe fun for like a battle royale game

-1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The moment I see someone running around with a pink thompson i'm really considering uninstalling and never touching this game again. The devs talk about how they want to recreate an oldschool shooter, well skins weren't in them. Why don't they try to monetize that wartorn system? It sounded like a really nice idea and is more realistic than a pink kar98 or w/e.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SupreMe said:

The moment I see someone running around with a pink thompson i'm really considering uninstalling and never touching this game again. The devs talk about how they want to recreate an oldschool shooter, well skins weren't in them. Why don't they try to monetize that wartorn system? It sounded like a really nice idea and is more realistic than a pink kar98 or w/e.

1.oldschool core gameplay, not aesthetics. 

2. most people want shiny skins

3. why don't you try and monetise used gum? because not a lot of people are going to bite.

4. most oldschool shooters are now dead, main reasons being: a.no support for the game, people needing third party websites to scrim

b. no skins tying people to the game

c. no support for the game, as in fixed bugs, improvements, etc.

 

If it helps them make the game great, and they even give some servers the option to turn it off, I really don't see why people are still beating on this dead horse.

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like skins yes, but you just can't have a PINK K98 in the game. Hello?????

-4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jonas01 said:

I like skins yes, but you just can't have a PINK K98 in the game. Hello?????

You can, and you will. For the reasons I listed above..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it would be really cool if they copied the csgo way of implementing skins, letting the community make them and let creators earn some money out of it, even Rust is doing something like this and imo if you have to put them in the game this is the best way to do it

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RAFF said:

1.oldschool core gameplay, not aesthetics. 

2. most people want shiny skins

3. why don't you try and monetise used gum? because not a lot of people are going to bite.

4. most oldschool shooters are now dead, main reasons being: a.no support for the game, people needing third party websites to scrim

b. no skins tying people to the game

c. no support for the game, as in fixed bugs, improvements, etc.

 

If it helps them make the game great, and they even give some servers the option to turn it off, I really don't see why people are still beating on this dead horse.

So what you you're saying is, is that we as a gaming community really sunk that low that we only care about stupid looking skins and not about gameplay anymore? I had high hopes for this game, but i'm getting less and less interested when i hear they'll implement childish things like weaponskins that will look awfull. I thought they were aiming for a now mature audience who grew up with games like moh/coduo/cod2 etc. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, SupreMe said:

So what you you're saying is, is that we as a gaming community really sunk that low that we only care about stupid looking skins and not about gameplay anymore? I had high hopes for this game, but i'm getting less and less interested when i hear they'll implement childish things like weaponskins that will look awfull. I thought they were aiming for a now mature audience who grew up with games like moh/coduo/cod2 etc. 

Absolutely not, gameplay is the most important thing. That's not even debatable. 

The discussion is about aesthetics, realistic vs pink. 

purely aesthetic items do not modify gameplay, it's purely a discussion about funding the game IMO, which pink skins do better without doubt.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, SupreMe said:

So what you you're saying is, is that we as a gaming community really sunk that low that we only care about stupid looking skins and not about gameplay anymore? I had high hopes for this game, but i'm getting less and less interested when i hear they'll implement childish things like weaponskins that will look awfull. I thought they were aiming for a now mature audience who grew up with games like moh/coduo/cod2 etc. 

If you want to make a competitive game you need money, skins makes money and gives many players a reason to stick to the game, therefore the devs decided to add them, it's as simple as that. 

5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could always add a setting to turn all weapon skins off, if it's going to be such a big issue. I'm personally really happy with the implementation of skins, it can create a steady cashflow to be put right back into the game!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They've already stated that they will implement a setting to turn it off. /endthread

7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SupreMe said:

The moment I see someone running around with a pink thompson i'm really considering uninstalling and never touching this game again. The devs talk about how they want to recreate an oldschool shooter, well skins weren't in them. Why don't they try to monetize that wartorn system? It sounded like a really nice idea and is more realistic than a pink kar98 or w/e.

How are we talking about this again? There already was a thread and a long discussion about it, most of the people are for skins or dont care about them so the number of people that say they wont play the game because of it dont really matter. (and they already stated that there wont be a Pink Skin)

And well, you can always sell your key there is a lot of people looking for one.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can imagine how a pink kar98 will give a big disadvantage on certain parts of the maps. like the enemy sees you instantly because theres a pink thing popping up somewhere. Having colored skins is like giving a mini chameleon hack to the enemy for free. i hope skins will be held in a very minimal design, otherwise gl hf balancing this bulkhead

-3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back @ this discussion again....lord...

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to be a hypocrite here because I am commenting but maybe if people would stop this thread would die and you could continue the discussion in one of the other 5+ threads about it? Just a simple solution you know.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I must have missed some official statements because I as far as I know there is

a) no official confirmation that there will be an option allowing to turn off non-vanilla-skins, except Joe kind of asking whether this might work as a compromise and
b) neither did I see Bulkhead confirm that there won't be 'pink/crazy skins'.

Concerning the latter one, I'd even say Joe actually did point out once again that in his opinion there's no way around 'outstanding' designs for skins because the regular/authentic ones are deemed collecting dust on the shelves. I sense this might not be the final consensus within the dev-team yet and at any rate, I do hope that they will start with decent designs first, as they originally planned and just give it some time monitoring how things will develop before going all ridiculous.

Yeah, in my opinion, red flashy dragons painted on weapons are just ridiculous and an annoyingly silly sight. It is disturbing enough to break immersion, subconsciously stopping me from playing for a sec, leaving me shaking my head in disbelief about what people seem to consider 'cool'. Anyway, even if they actually would have painted their weapons like that back in WWII - just as today people like to paint M4s pink with hello kitty stickers put on it - I would find it ridiculous and out of place nonetheless and prefer sticking to the vanilla skins instead.

Besides that, please remember they explicitly stated there won't be crazy skins in the kickstarter-campain. Therefore you can't really blame people for being irritated now and feeling the need of coming here asking what the hell is going on.

Regarding the switch-off solution, I honestly doubt this will be approved by the majority of people who are actually willing to buy skins, because if potentially nobody is going to see them in-game, why even pay for those in the first place instead of just modding your HUD-skins client side - for free! - just like people used to do back in the day. However, maybe the switch-off alternative might indeed work out better than just trying to stick to somewhat authentic skins, but once the skins are there you won't be able to ever remove them again afterward. Keep that in mind, hence me suggesting to leave the crazier stuff out at the beginning and see where things are heading.

Finally, if there definitely will be a switch-off option implemented, then yes, let's stop the complaining right here, once for all. However, as long as we do not have this irrevocable confirmation from Bulkhead I don't see why people shouldn't voice their concerns and question the implementation of crazy skins asking for an explanation.

 

Edited by RLpacifist
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree with Joe on the design point, nobody will spend money for a simple camo skin, if they have to add "crazy" skins then why not let the community submit them on the workshop just as happens in csgo and rust? It will only benefit more the game since it will involve the community and let some artist earn some money and at the same time the devs won't have to waste their time on making skins for the game. Also about the immersion side of the game I have something to say, I do agree it would look stupid and childish for some players, but if you think about it even old cod games such as Cod4 had "crazy" skins, yes it wasn't a WW2 game but  it was quite similar to what Battalion wants to be. Last thing is something I'm not sure of, but i'd like to share it, if you follow the CS:GO competitive scene, you'll notice almost every pro player has the craziest skins in the game and uses them at lan, they aren't concerned about skins distracting them or giving them a disanvantage, I think that in highly stressful situationas skins help your brain to relax, just as for example soldiers paint stuff on their helis or customize their weapons.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RLpacifist said:

Regarding the switch-off solution, I honestly doubt this will be approved by the majority of people who are actually willing to buy skins, because if potentially nobody is going to see them in-game, why even pay for those in the first place instead of just modding your HUD-skins client side - for free! - just like people used to do back in the day. However, maybe the switch-off alternative might indeed work out better than just trying to stick to somewhat authentic skins, but once the skins are there you won't be able to ever remove them again afterward. Keep that in mind, hence me suggesting to leave the crazier stuff out at the beginning and see where things are heading.

Finally, if there definitely will be a switch-off option implemented, then yes, let's stop the complaining right here, once for all. However, as long as we do not have this irrevocable confirmation from Bulkhead I don't see why people shouldn't voice their concerns and question the implementation of crazy skins asking for an explanation.

 

I`m 99% sure the off-switch will be a server setting, which means that all official servers will have skins turned ON and no way of turning them OFF.

which is okay, IMO. Players that want realism, can make their own servers and mods and so on, and those who want to play competitively have their own thing too :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RLpacifist said:

I must have missed some official statements because I as far as I know there is

a) no official confirmation that there will be an option allowing to turn off non-vanilla-skins, except Joe kind of asking whether this might work as a compromise and
b) neither did I see Bulkhead confirm that there won't be 'pink/crazy skins'.

Concerning the latter one, I'd even say Joe actually did point out once again that in his opinion there's no way around 'outstanding' designs for skins because the regular/authentic ones are deemed collecting dust on the shelves. I sense this might not be the final consensus within the dev-team yet and at any rate, I do hope that they will start with decent designs first, as they originally planned and just give it some time monitoring how things will develop before going all ridiculous.

Yeah, in my opinion, red flashy dragons painted on weapons are just ridiculous and an annoyingly silly sight. It is disturbing enough to break immersion, subconsciously stopping me from playing for a sec, leaving me shaking my head in disbelief about what people seem to consider 'cool'. Anyway, even if they actually would have painted their weapons like that back in WWII - just as today people like to paint M4s pink with hello kitty stickers put on it - I would find it ridiculous and out of place nonetheless and prefer sticking to the vanilla skins instead.

Besides that, please remember they explicitly stated there won't be crazy skins in the kickstarter-campain. Therefore you can't really blame people for being irritated now and feeling the need of coming here asking what the hell is going on.

Regarding the switch-off solution, I honestly doubt this will be approved by the majority of people who are actually willing to buy skins, because if potentially nobody is going to see them in-game, why even pay for those in the first place instead of just modding your HUD-skins client side - for free! - just like people used to do back in the day. However, maybe the switch-off alternative might indeed work out better than just trying to stick to somewhat authentic skins, but once the skins are there you won't be able to ever remove them again afterward. Keep that in mind, hence me suggesting to leave the crazier stuff out at the beginning and see where things are heading.

Finally, if there definitely will be a switch-off option implemented, then yes, let's stop the complaining right here, once for all. However, as long as we do not have this irrevocable confirmation from Bulkhead I don't see why people shouldn't voice their concerns and question the implementation of crazy skins asking for an explanation.

 

Watch Dust's interview with Joe. He says it there. They are wanting to do crazy skins, but of course, you can turn them off on your own server.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now