Sign in to follow this  
Cookiebot

A small list of "movment features" of other games that could deepen batallions skill gap

Cookiebot    27

Hi!

Firstly let me say that I am very exited for this game, and I absolutely love the direction the game has.

I have seen a lot of talking about strafe jumping in this game, but I would like to compile a few "features" of the all kinds of games that give just a small advantage to the player who masters them, but makes the game feel a lot more deep. 

1. Silent jumps / spots on maps (Mainly in cod4)

• Theese small gltiches made an extrodinary deep movment for many smgs in a lot of maps (backlot and crash spring to mind the most). The ability to move fast without sound around the map IF you knew where to go and how to get there, or jump down from crash roof to the small wooden pallet and clutch the round when the enemy thought you were on the roof were deeply satisfying.

2. Bounces (Mainly cod4)

• Bounces were a nice touch to the movment system, if you exclude the mega bounces you could do. But the smaller ones you did from the concreate walls when running down with the smg were pretty nice, and could help get the advantage in a firefight.

3. Running faster when hugging the wall (Cod2/Cod4)

• If you ran a bit "into" the wall you would walk faster, not a lot but just the right amount to make a few rushes before the nades land in.

4. Boosting (CS)

• This Is a feature i guite like in CS, makes for innovative strategies and hold positions. Also the "jump boosting" where the guy on top gets flung fast forward is quite fun, and I thinkg it could fit in the batallion gameplay.

5. Cancelling fall damage by climbing a ledge (Cod4)

• You could cancel your fall damage by climbing up a ledge when you were falling, if you timed it right.

I am not suggesting to implement everything, But I hope that you devs could let us experiment with a few during the alphas/betas. A bit of a "broken" game could increase the skill gap significally :)

CU 26.5 Brothers

5on5 server on High++ Fast PM ME!!! :P

-CookieBot

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Zane    33

I don't think they'll add the first 3 things you mentioned, as they are bugs which were never patched in the cod engine and i doubt any dev would intentionally add any of those. But i agree about 4 and 5, would be cool to have them in game. One of the devs recently said they are thinking about whether or not including the ability to boost other players.

• Upvote 1

Cookiebot    27
7 minutes ago, Zane said:

I don't think they'll add the first 3 things you mentioned, as they are bugs which were never patched in the cod engine and i doubt any dev would intentionally add any of those. But i agree about 4 and 5, would be cool to have them in game. One of the devs recently said they are thinking about whether or not including the ability to boost other players.

Well, if you go techical strafing was a bug in the engine too, and it has been implemented in the new engine that dosn't have it :) 

Edited by Cookiebot

Zane    33
5 minutes ago, Cookiebot said:

Well, if you go techical strafing was a bug in the engine too, and it has been implemented in the new engine that dosn't have it :) 

That's true, but it's quite different, strafing can be done in many ways, i did quake style movements in Unity 1 year ago and all i had to do was play around with the character controller script, also it's something you do only have to do once, silent spots and bounces would have to be  implemented manually on every map, therefore more work when mapping. Also keep in mind many competitive maps will be made by the community, so it will be up to the creators if they want to add those features or not and this may cause inconsistencies between different maps.

• Upvote 1

Smut28    7

I'm intrigued to see what bugs come out of this development. Hope there's afew cool things. Cod4 had these things and it really made it what it was. Can't copy them though as we want this game to not be cod4 but to still have it's own unpolished edges. 

sh0tyz    132

I think Silent Jumps aren't good. I actually brought up that wallride a few months back. The devs thought it was too much of a bug to implement but could be a possibility. So we'll just wait and see :)

I really like silent jumps but the problem is its super glitchy and buggy. It's not even like a feature that might just be going to far. 

No fall damage or noise on vault is a thing though.

• Upvote 7

Cookiebot    27
1 hour ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

I really like silent jumps but the problem is its super glitchy and buggy. It's not even like a feature that might just be going to far. 

Stupid question, could it be done with different materials? I Don't know how the UE4 sound engine work :D Like for example a prop has the material "matress" that when stepped on wouldn't make a sound. Anyways, the same "advantages" that silent jumps made could probably be implemented way better with good map design. 

Ah almost forgot that the vault didn't make any sound in promod, good stuff man.

• Upvote 1

RAFF    105
1 hour ago, [DEV] BRAMMERTRON said:

What about players boosting on top of eachother?

• Upvote 1

seekax    176

1. is one of those things which is nice in the game but not intuitive.

2. is broken, i love codjumper but bounces can't be in a competitive game

3. that should be in already, comes with the strafejumping physics

• Upvote 1

Koffee    17

I agree with most of your points except Bounces I dont really think they're needed, plus although it was cool to do it did look stupid af when you saw someone do it haha.

• Upvote 1