DustMouret

A Lengthy Interview with Joe Brammer

17 posts in this topic

Hey folks! 

So I did a rather lengthy interview with Joe Brammer about all things related to Battalion 1944. Included in the interview are a lot of details that were not previously known. While it is rather long, I feel this interview tells you everything you can know up to this point about Battalion 1944 that the devs are willing to have known publicly at this time. I have time stamped the interview so you can skip things you don't care about and focus on topics that are of particular interest to you. Thanks and enjoy the interview!

You can also share it on Twitter if you want:

Thank you for this interview, Had a blast watching it :) 

Joe has to take a 1v1 showmatch against Pansy on stream, both putting up all esport earned cash while playing in the pot!

Just watch the whole interview and I would love to see a discussion of the details on economy system he showed to us.

really good interview, thank you guys

1 minute ago, jcStani said:

Just watch the whole interview and I would love to see a discussion of the details on economy system he showed to us.

guess this will be set within alpha and beta or even early acces

4 minutes ago, rmpel said:

guess this will be set within alpha and beta or even early acces

Yea I was a bit worried about how they were balancing win bonus by giving the winning team a head start. It seems kinda hard to balance but will see by alpha.

1 minute ago, jcStani said:

Yea I was a bit worried about how they were balancing win bonus by giving the winning team a head start. It seems kinda hard to balance but will see by alpha.

yeah gotcha m8 but i think this will be a community projekt to find the right path

I EFFING LOVE THE ECONOMY IDEA! and that's coming from someone who didn't care for it 6 weeks ago.

This game just sounds like the perfect FPS to me, can't wait to play it. Really enjoyed this interview.

Just to talk about the 2 "bad" things he said during the interview:

1) I don't think this game will destroy the others old-school shooter like CoD1, CoD2 etc... CS 1.6 / CSS is still alive even with CS:GO. Same for StarCraft 1 / StarCraft 2. It will decrease people playing the game for sure but I bet those games will just be active forever.

2) I don't really understand what is the problem with Joe competing in his own game... I actually would be glad to compete against him... You create it, you love it then goddamn play it haha

Posted (edited)

First of all, thanks DustMorret and @[DEV] BRAMMERTRON for this interview i think it gave us a great insight of where this game is heading.
And it's just what i expect it to be when i saw the Kickstarter a old school shooter based on on one of the best shooters i have ever played "CoD2".

But i want to give my opinion on some things ive heard in the video and what i think should be differently, it's just a opinion so dont hate me for it.

OLD SCHOOL SHOOTER

For me a old school shooter is based around a few things:

- Movement
Fluid skill based movement as mentioned in the interview, i think that is the way to go to base the core of the game around great movement mechanics.
Maybe as you mentioned the movement speeds is a bit fast, but i haven't  touched the game yet so i cant tell if thats the case that are concerns for the Alpha.
Also i'm not a big fan of sprinting in shooters i rather have the movement speed based on the gun you are holding just like in CoD2 and CS where you run faster with a pistol/knife. but thats something i just have to deal with i guess and maybe i'm just a little bit biased on that point comming from a cod1/2/cs background.

- Fair and even playground
No killstreaks, no pay2win, no spawn advantages (as mentioned in the video), a balanced and even game where everybody got the same chance and based on skill and teamwork makes you win games.

- Classic 5vs5 S&D
This is also very important for me, if i'm talking about a competitive oldschool shooter i just want a classic 5vs5 S&D mode.
I obviously havent played the mode you guys are working on and maybe it turns out great but it made me scared when i heard you talk about cards, spawn advantages, etc.
I get that you guys want your game to be unique and stand out of the crowd, but i think you guys already nailed it with bringing back the real oldschool shooter feeling and you guys dont need to be special in this kind of way.
I think the way CoD2 handles it with with zPAM is the way to go: 1 Sniper,1 Shotgun, unlimited assault rifles.

Maybe you guys can do something with the cards based on utility?

Like in a 5v5 MR12 scenario you give every player at the beginning of the half:

5 Grenade cards
3 Smoke Grenade cards

And let every player/team decide when and who pulls out the cards at the beginning of the rounds.

- Guns and balanced gunplay
Obviously guns are very important and i think you guys made a great choice to go back to the WW2 setting.

I have full trust in you guys to make the right decisions going forward and it seems you guys are very open for suggestions and not scared to make changes.
Lets make this game great together and give it the succes it deserves!

I hope this is the next game i will put blood sweat and tears in, in the last 10/15 years there only been a couple of games (CS 1.6/COD1/COD:UO/COD2/CS:GO) and i hope Battalion 1944 will be the next one!

@[DEV] KingHoward @[CM] BigTuna @[DEV] BRAMMERTRON

Edited by dAYZ

3 hours ago, kinda said:

Just to talk about the 2 "bad" things he said during the interview:

1) I don't think this game will destroy the others old-school shooter like CoD1, CoD2 etc... CS 1.6 / CSS is still alive even with CS:GO. Same for StarCraft 1 / StarCraft 2. It will decrease people playing the game for sure but I bet those games will just be active forever.

2) I don't really understand what is the problem with Joe competing in his own game... I actually would be glad to compete against him... You create it, you love it then goddamn play it haha

I kind of see why it could be a bit unnethical. You COULD add features that boost your own success / know stuff that a normal player would not. That said, I don't think this would be a issue and I hope that all the devs would compete if they wish like the rest of us. Maybe this is Joe's way to crate a good excuse if he gets wrecked by other players :D 

Thanks to the both of you for this insightful interview and special thanks to the dog taking up on the sidekick role. Good boy!

The best thing for me personally is that I now feel a lot more relaxed on the skins and e-sports issue, which got me a little worried lately. All in all, I'm pretty excited about the development so far and the gameplay revealed actually put me in quite a calm state, knowing that there is like no chance that the game is not going to be fun. Keep up the good work and I'm happily looking forward to checking in the closed beta.

Nice one, good interview :)