Sign in to follow this  
MattWolf

Competitive gun limit ideas.

So, coming from a CoD4 Promod background, the standard was 2 smg's, as many assault classes and only 1 sniper (or shotgun) per team.

I was wondering if for competitive people would like the idea of if you don't run a sniper for instance, your team could make use of a 3rd smg. I guess with the right server options/ mod tools this could potentially be modded in at discretion based on what competitive rules people want.

However I was just thinking about something like this as being "standard".

It would add a bit of strategy because you could rotate out sniper rounds with an extra SMG round here or there. 

It was just something I was thinking about when I remembered reading about how they were toying with the idea of having an "equipment" economy type deal to add strategy for the competitive scene and give shoutcasters more to talk about.

If anyone else has other ideas or suggestions they want in regards to this subject feel free to toss in your ideas.

• Upvote 2

Could be hard to balance but could be a cool idea as well. In COD4 the scope would often go shotgun or AK and rush with the team (Crash Attack, Backlot Attack). Why not give him an SMG?

• Upvote 1

If we need this kind of rules, the weapon balance is just wrong.

Having 3 snipers out of 5 should lose you the round just because you went for 3 snipers....

cod is a bad game to look at when it comes to balancing. Just forget cod. You needed a whole mod to play it competitive in the first place which says enough.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

On 13.4.2017 at 8:39 AM, MattWolf said:

So, coming from a CoD4 Promod background, the standard was 2 smg's, as many assault classes and only 1 sniper (or shotgun) per team.

I was wondering if for competitive people would like the idea of if you don't run a sniper for instance, your team could make use of a 3rd smg. I guess with the right server options/ mod tools this could potentially be modded in at discretion based on what competitive rules people want.

However I was just thinking about something like this as being "standard".

It would add a bit of strategy because you could rotate out sniper rounds with an extra SMG round here or there. 

I was thinking about something similar recently but for general ranked matches.

You either limit the numbers of weapons a team can use like in CoD4 or you make it somehow expensive running for instance 2 snipers or the last thing that came to my mind is choosing which weapon you wanna play, kinda like in League (Rolechoosing) where you pick your 2 favs and then get matches so your team has for example 2 Aussalts, 2 SMGs and 1 Sniper.

• Upvote 1

I agree, Matt. I really like the idea of adding 1 SMG or another weapon. Maybe have this sort of built into the card system they are developing? I'd much rather have more guns rather than have guns taken away and having pistol rounds

On 4/13/2017 at 0:21 PM, ToonBE said:

If we need this kind of rules, the weapon balance is just wrong.

Having 3 snipers out of 5 should lose you the round just because you went for 3 snipers....

cod is a bad game to look at when it comes to balancing. Just forget cod. You needed a whole mod to play it competitive in the first place which says enough.

You can actually force people to play a game the right way. 

I can make a map in which I force you to play 3 shotguns 2 smgs and balance it for that.

Just now, RAFF said:

You can actually force people to play a game the right way. 

I can make a map in which I force you to play 3 shotguns 2 smgs and balance it for that.

Well you can but designing something in that way is not the right way to do it

Just now, Zane said:

Well you can but designing something in that way is not the right way to do it

Of course it's not right, but there are more aspects to it than just 'freedom' to choose.

Would you like to be in a game in which everyone wants to play sniper? Using their system, everyone picks sniper, they go out of sniper cards in 2 rounds. No clue, but it'd be sure as hell very frustrating to play. Please note that many people don't play in a 5-man party.

1 minute ago, RAFF said:

Of course it's not right, but there are more aspects to it than just 'freedom' to choose.

Would you like to be in a game in which everyone wants to play sniper? Using their system, everyone picks sniper, they go out of sniper cards in 2 rounds. No clue, but it'd be sure as hell very frustrating to play. Please note that many people don't play in a 5-man party.

Yeah i'm aware of that, but I mean if you find trolls or griefers they'll always find a way to ruin your game, just like in cs they abuse of the economy system and buy random or useless weapons, but imo if you play with decent players who want to have fun and win just as you do, then it's a good system, even tho it still needs to be refined.

Just now, Zane said:

Yeah i'm aware of that, but I mean if you find trolls or griefers they'll always find a way to ruin your game, just like in cs they abuse of the economy system and buy random or useless weapons, but imo if you play with decent players who want to have fun and win just as you do, then it's a good system, even tho it still needs to be refined.

The thing with choosing your class before the game might be good too, choosing only sniper might take a while to get a game, while choosing more classes will decrease your search time.

Your chosen class will be forced upon you, I guess.

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, RAFF said:

The thing with choosing your class before the game might be good too, choosing only sniper might take a while to get a game, while choosing more classes will decrease your search time.

Your chosen class will be forced upon you, I guess.

I think players should be able to change their class, sometimes you need to change your playstyle to perform well and in order to adapt to how your enemies play

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Zane said:

I think players should be able to change their class, sometimes you need to change your playstyle to perform well and in order to adapt to how your enemies play

That's true.. and then we're back at limiting classes 

• Downvote 1

On 13.04.2017 at 11:21 AM, ToonBE said:

cod is a bad game to look at when it comes to balancing. Just forget cod. You needed a whole mod to play it competitive in the first place which says enough

Have you ever played that 'mod'? I highly doubt it when i read this bullsh*t. 2 smgs - 2 rifles - 1 scope setup was perfect, at least for CoD4 maps. Waaay better than CS:GO's with it's 5 AWP rounds, p90 rushes etc.

• Upvote 3

You all forgot about one thing - each side got it's own set of weapons and it's characteristics will vary greatly. It's impossible to use COD4 as an example to balance weapons in Battalion 1944. You need to look at vCOD, COD2, DOD or even CSGO. 

Some examples:

1. Kar 98k: 5 bullets, one shot to kill (body); M1 Garand: 8 bullets, at least two hits to kill (body)
  2. MP40: 30 bullets, lower firerate; Thompson: 20 bullets, higher firerate
  3. MP44 vs BAR?

And what about sniper rifles and trench guns? One per team, I'll take that for granted. 

11 hours ago, skitelo said:

CS:GO's with it's 5 AWP rounds, p90 rushes etc.

wtf are you talking about? lol

giphy.gif

Edited by ToonBE
  • Downvote 2